Air Transat carry on dimensions (20 in ) -advise please

wieslaw

Hi,

I booked / reserved a flight for next July on Air Transat. I picked them mostly because of the direct (nonstop) flight from YYZ to FCO and direct flight back from FCO to YYZ at a departure time ( from FCO) that I felt comfortable with the time.

They made changes already - one of the direct flights now has one stop and some waiting time . The flight back got the departure time changed.

I guess these thing do happen.

Question that I have is how strict are they with the carry on ?

Their posted dimensions are different than most other air lines:

Carry-on

QUANTITY 1 bag per person. Camera bags, laptops and purses are also permitted.

DIMENSIONS 23 x 40 x 51 cm (9 x 16 x 20 in) (including wheels and handles)

COST Free

EXCESS BAGGAGE CHARGES, PAYABLE AT AIR TRANSAT CHECK-IN COUNTER. Any carry-on bag that exceeds the above weight or size cannot be carried on and must be checked. Excess charges may apply.

The 20 in dimension is so small that does not leave much room for packing.

I have some carry on luggage that has 21 in or 22 in height - will they accept it ? or will I have to pay extra ?

As with any other topic regarding this matter it will all come down to the agent that handles your flight.

No matter the experiences other had had in the past, this is totally irrelevant.

Will they accept it? Possibly

Will they deny it as cabin bag? Possibly

Nobody knows.

We have done numerous overseas flights with Transat. We like the fact that we can do one ways, open jaws. They also have some fabulous last minute pricing on one ways that we have taken advantage of.

We only travel with vary on. Both rollers, both are the official size. Having said that I have traveled on Transat with a 21.5 roller and there was no issue.

We have never had our carry on examined by Transit other than a cursory glance. We ensure that it is not 'bulging' over the 9 inch limit either. I believe that Transat will check a bag for free but we very much prefer carry on.

I think we weight out at 10-12KG. Just depends whether we are going for a few weeks or a few months.

We never buy the seats up front. If we do buy a seat, it is the ones by the exit door. Lots of space.

Any carry-on bag that exceeds the above weight or size cannot be carried on and must be checked. Excess charges may apply.

In black and white, they give you maximum dimensions.

Your question is akin to "So, can I go speeding down the freeway and not be ticketed?"

As mentioned, the experiences of others has no bearing on what might happen to you. Hypothetical: Perhaps they were lenient in the past, but on the day before your flight, management says "Enforce the rules, we need the bag revenue".

So....what's your risk tolerance level? Read the words from Harry in my sig below.

I'd suggest you look for an "international carry-on" online. I just bought one a month ago, and it's very lightweight, spinner wheels, and outside pockets. I can fit quite a bit in it. I got mine at eBags for $52 including shipping.

Be sure to search on international carry-on for the smaller dimensions.

We were checked by Transat in Paris. Our carry on was legal but they did not seem concerned about it.

It was weight. They scaled it and then handed it back with no issue. They checked the weight of my spouses carry on. Her size was legal but they did not test it.

Hi,

I booked / reserved a flight for next July on Air Transat. I picked them mostly because of the direct (nonstop) flight from YYZ to FCO and direct flight back from FCO to YYZ at a departure time ( from FCO) that I felt comfortable with the time.

They made changes already - one of the direct flights now has one stop and some waiting time . The flight back got the departure time changed.

I guess these thing do happen.

Question that I have is how strict are they with the carry on ?

Their posted dimensions are different than most other air lines:

Carry-on

QUANTITY 1 bag per person. Camera bags, laptops and purses are also permitted.

DIMENSIONS 23 x 40 x 51 cm (9 x 16 x 20 in) (including wheels and handles)

COST Free

EXCESS BAGGAGE CHARGES, PAYABLE AT AIR TRANSAT CHECK-IN COUNTER. Any carry-on bag that exceeds the above weight or size cannot be carried on and must be checked. Excess charges may apply.

The 20 in dimension is so small that does not leave much room for packing.

I have some carry on luggage that has 21 in or 22 in height - will they accept it ? or will I have to pay extra ?

You can check in one bag for "free" (well not free it is included in the cost of your ticket, so a better way of saying it is included). The complimentary checked bag has these limits:

"Length + width + height must not exceed 158*cm (62*in) and up to 30kg. "

Why not just check in the bag.

Edited by em-sk

..... Hypothetical: Perhaps they were lenient in the past, but on the day before your flight, management says "Enforce the rules, we need the bag revenue".

So....what's your risk tolerance level? Read the words from Harry in my sig below.

Hi,

thank you...... I might not like your answer / advise but it is the correct one .... as you pointed out...... I will buy a new carry on case that will satisfy Transat requirements for the dimensions that they listed.

It seems that Transat is the only one ( that I found) that requires the 20 in height, But the width that they listed (16 in) is wider than some of the other airlines list ..... so even that case will not be the one that I can use on some other airlines.

On this particular trip I will be flying on 3 airlines: Transat. Alitalia and Air Belrin and each has different sizes of carry on listed. So the bag has to be small enough to satisfy each airline's requirements..... I hope that I can find one.

I wish there was a standard size used by all the airlines so one would not have to buy a new carry on depending what air line one is flying on.

Edited by wieslaw

I do the same. I have two carry on rollers. I check the airlines and take the appropriate one. If we have an open schedule and anticipate booking air while on vacation we simply stick to the smaller of the two.

We find that the Transat staff in Canada (at least in Calgary and Toronto) do not bother much other than eyeball to ensure that the dimensions are 'close enough' for government work'. The overseas staff are more vigilant. We are OK with checking on our final flight home....it is the others where we strive to adhere to the regs so that we can do carry on only.

• 2 years later...

We have flown AIr Transat to Mexico several times.  Also to or from  London, Rome,  Athens,  Paris, and Porto.  Almost always we carry on.  The only time we were weighed was once in Cancun.  And even then, we simply took out our winter jacket and sweater and the agent waved us on.  I could be mistaken but it seems to me Air Transit does not charge for checked baggage.

We travel with international size carry on.  We have never had our luggage checked by any airline for physical size even though we are in compliance.

Edited by iancal

OP flew in 2017... way too late to offer them any help! I believe Transat's Carry-On max size does remain the same these days but they've altered their Checked baggage policy at least once since 2016, with another change coming in 2019, so some of the info above is also no longer relevant...