clothes i will need for hawaiin cruise

kaiser369

hi,

me and my wife and two friends are going on the grand princess leaving from san fransisco in march 2017, we are wondering what we will need clothes wise, whats the weather like in san francisco at that time of year, whats the weather like crossing the pacific, then also what will it be like in hawaii, any pointers will be read and appreciated. we usually do the caribbean in the winter months and only need shorts t-shirts when out and about,

A Google search for "San Francisco March weather" will get you factual data. Looking at the Hawaii board, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62

will get you lots of info.

March is a transition month to Spring here. It can be in the 80s (occasionally) or pouring rain. It will rarely be cooler than 50s.

Commonly discussed it that can be a bit rough and cool for the first couple days to Hawaii, then warming, and calming as you approach Hawaii..

We left from LA, not San Francisco. The sea days both going and coming were cool with rain off and on--mostly 60's to low 70's. Hawaii was warm, but we did have quite a bit of rain there as well--mostly just showers that cleared up quickly (typical for Hawaii) except Hilo, which was quite rainy all day--not unusual for that area either, being one of the wettest spots in the U.S.

We sailed the middle of February. Of course, weather can vary so much. I'd expect S.F. to be coolish and damp--ha, that describes San Francisco most of the year!

Temps in Hawaii will vary with weather and also with elevation. If you do a volcano excursion you might want a sweatshirt and long trousers. I had a pair of zip-off shorts so I could be warm at elevation but will not be too hot at sea level.

We left from LA, not San Francisco. The sea days both going and coming were cool with rain off and on--mostly 60's to low 70's. Hawaii was warm, but we did have quite a bit of rain there as well--mostly just showers that cleared up quickly (typical for Hawaii) except Hilo, which was quite rainy all day--not unusual for that area either, being one of the wettest spots in the U.S.

We sailed the middle of February. Of course, weather can vary so much. I'd expect S.F. to be coolish and damp--ha, that describes San Francisco most of the year!

No it doesn't. Winter has the wetter weather. Summer has midday fog. Fall and Spring: GORGEOUS!

No it doesn't. Winter has the wetter weather. Summer has midday fog. Fall and Spring: GORGEOUS!

Sorry about that; I haven't been there in Spring or Fall. Spent one of the coldest dampest summer weeks of my life there in July visiting my sister! But I've had some very nice days there too, summer and winter. Just not as many.

We did this cruise on the Splendor out of Long Beach in the month of February 15 days to Hawaii. You need a hoodie or jacket crossing the Pacific. (not a winter jacket) During the day was beautiful, but evening and early morning were chilly. Hawaii was gorgeous and never needed a jacket. When we returned to Long Beach, we rented a car and drove up the coast to San Francisco. (spent 4 days there). Beautiful weather and we only wore a jacket in the evening. What a vacation!!!! I hope you have as wonderful time as we did. :) The WHALES.....OMG. Make sure you have a camera...the seals on the pier in San Fran.....I could have stayed and watched them for days.