Boxed wine

Katiekakes

Anyone ever bring boxed wine onboard Princess? If you have, how many liters did you bring on?

Ever? Before Princess had restrictions on wine we brought boxed wine aboard including Black Box (equal to 4 bottles) and once brought a box of Italian wine (purchased in Venice) that had 5 bottles in the box. But now, the policy is 750 ML per person...and then you pay the corkage fee. Not sure how they would deal with the boxes...but suspect you might get nailed with corkage on anything over 750ml per person.

Hank

Anyone ever bring boxed wine onboard Princess? If you have, how many liters did you bring on?

The policy is clearly stated. Unless your "box" is no larger than 750ml, it will not be allowed.

As provided in the Passage Contract, guests agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind onboard for consumption, except one bottle of wine or champagne per adult of drinking age (no larger than 750 ml) per voyage, which will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in the stateroom. Additional wine or champagne bottles are welcome, but will incur a $15 corkage fee each, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed. Liquor, spirits or beers are not permitted. Please remember that luggage will be scanned and alcohol outside of our policy will be removed and discarded.

Edited by JimmyVWine

The policy is clearly stated. Unless your "box" is no larger than 750ml, it will not be allowed.

As provided in the Passage Contract, guests agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind onboard for consumption, except one bottle of wine or champagne per adult of drinking age (no larger than 750 ml) per voyage, which will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in the stateroom. Additional wine or champagne bottles are welcome, but will incur a $15 corkage fee each, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed. Liquor, spirits or beers are not permitted. Please remember that luggage will be scanned and alcohol outside of our policy will be removed and discarded.

We think "not allowed" is not reflective of the policy. Subject to the corkage fee (which could be as high as $60 for a box) is probably reality. The policy does specifically say that "additional wine" is welcome....but at a price.

Hank

Bota Box wines come in both a large size (about 4 bottles) , and a smaller size(2 bottle size). We bring the small one. If stopped, since there are two of us, should be allowed. However, whenever we go through security at port, we are never asked to go over to the table.

It is in our carry on at port. The wines are really good too.

We think "not allowed" is not reflective of the policy. Subject to the corkage fee (which could be as high as $60 for a box) is probably reality. The policy does specifically say that "additional wine" is welcome....but at a price.

Hank

??? The policy (quoted verbatim above) clearly states that additional "bottles" are welcome. Given the earlier reference to size, the implication is clear.

A box of wine will never set off the X-ray, same as bringing on rum runners, no glass or metal to trigger. I bring boxed wine on 3-4 boxes at a time and have never had a mishap.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The Boxed wine issue has me thinking outside the box....LOL! We will be on the Regal next week and are tempted to take a Black Box just to see what happens. In theory (and this is what we expressed in our prior post) you would expect them to simply charge the corkage fee on the overage (750 mil per person). But frequent cruisers (and we have been on more then 100) know that common sense does not always prevail at embarkation....given that the screening is always done by rent-a-cops and other local hired staff. So I would be willing to bet (a box of wine) that the actual handling will differ depending on the port, the staff working security, and a bit of luck.

We would add that we have been on many cruises where we simply brought booze and wine aboard at various ports. The normal procedure would be that you turn those bottles over to a staffer (often at a table near the security screener) and get a receipt...and then have it returned to you the last night of the cruise. However, in practice, more then half the time we have simply put our booze through the security scanner, picked it up, and simply walked past the booze check table. We have rarely been stopped (if that happened we might say "oops, we are sorry"). And, in our case, when we have simply walked onboard with lots of booze it just sat in our cabin until debarkation (we had no desire to drink it onboard).

The cruise lines are simply about "maximizing onboard revenue" and their booze policy is just one more way to raise revenue. They used to argue that limiting booze gave them better ability at controlling passengers. But now, with charging a "corkage" fee on any wine (beyond 1 bottle)...it seems the policy is "how much more money can we make." On HAL or Princess if I want to take 4 or 5 cases of wine aboard....it is not a problem as long as we are willing to pay the corkage fee. Go figure.

Hank

Ever? Before Princess had restrictions on wine we brought boxed wine aboard including Black Box (equal to 4 bottles) and once brought a box of Italian wine (purchased in Venice) that had 5 bottles in the box. But now, the policy is 750 ML per person...and then you pay the corkage fee. Not sure how they would deal with the boxes...but suspect you might get nailed with corkage on anything over 750ml per person.

Hank

Norwegian says no box wine. And if you bring on a 5th bottle they charge $15 corkage fee per bottle no matter where you drink it.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Forums mobile app

Well, this isn't Norwegian. The question was asked for a specific Princess cruise.

This is how normal conversation works.

This isn't a courtroom where the judge keeps any comments strictly on topic.

Edited by pablo222

We used to bring boxed wine on Princess, but now the Line has really tightened up on BYO even from the American Ports. For years Princess enforced the 1 bottle rule for Princess cruises from Australia, but did not enforce it from the USA, such is life.

My dad has been bringing his Black Box wine for years. The only time they made him pay corkage was our last cruise on the Crown. We arrived really early (no traffic) and I think that may have had something to do with it as the screeners were not busy at all.

When we were on Princess in Feb. we brought one bottle of wine and one bottle of sparkling wine. We didn't end up using them ( our neighbors gifted us with a bottle that was much nicer :) ) however upon embarkation we were never asked if we had brought liquor and we didn't see any place to do so. When we were in port in Cabo, we bough a bottle of liquor and could have walked on the ship without reporting it ( we didn't place to drink it untill we got home anyway)

Why not try to bring a box of wine ( which I love) and see if you can get it passed? I'm curious if you could be able to ! Or you could bring the smaller boxes of wine.

The Boxed wine issue has me thinking outside the box....LOL! We will be on the Regal next week and are tempted to take a Black Box just to see what happens. In theory (and this is what we expressed in our prior post) you would expect them to simply charge the corkage fee on the overage (750 mil per person). But frequent cruisers (and we have been on more then 100) know that common sense does not always prevail at embarkation....given that the screening is always done by rent-a-cops and other local hired staff. So I would be willing to bet (a box of wine) that the actual handling will differ depending on the port, the staff working security, and a bit of luck.

We would add that we have been on many cruises where we simply brought booze and wine aboard at various ports. The normal procedure would be that you turn those bottles over to a staffer (often at a table near the security screener) and get a receipt...and then have it returned to you the last night of the cruise. However, in practice, more then half the time we have simply put our booze through the security scanner, picked it up, and simply walked past the booze check table. We have rarely been stopped (if that happened we might say "oops, we are sorry"). And, in our case, when we have simply walked onboard with lots of booze it just sat in our cabin until debarkation (we had no desire to drink it onboard).

The cruise lines are simply about "maximizing onboard revenue" and their booze policy is just one more way to raise revenue. They used to argue that limiting booze gave them better ability at controlling passengers. But now, with charging a "corkage" fee on any wine (beyond 1 bottle)...it seems the policy is "how much more money can we make." On HAL or Princess if I want to take 4 or 5 cases of wine aboard....it is not a problem as long as we are willing to pay the corkage fee. Go figure.

Hank

We just came off Regal. We brought two bottles with us, but also bought two bottles in Halifax. No one blinked an eye.

We are going on a 24 day cruise to South America , but we are flying to Rio and picking the ship up the ship in Rio, so I would like to put 3 Liter Box of Wine in my checked bag, because we can't take it on the plane, I think that will work, I hope. :(

We are going on a 24 day cruise to South America , but we are flying to Rio and picking the ship up the ship in Rio, so I would like to put 3 Liter Box of Wine in my checked bag, because we can't take it on the plane, I think that will work, I hope. :(

Your luggage tag will say:

Please remember our carry-on alcohol policy...

Wine that is brought on to the ship is supposed to be in your carry-on bags. So after you land, you should retrieve your bag, remove the wine, and carry it on board the ship.

A box of wine will never set off the X-ray, same as bringing on rum runners, no glass or metal to trigger.

I bring boxed wine on 3-4 boxes at a time and have never had a mishap.

Norwegian says no box wine.

And if you bring on a 5th bottle they charge $15 corkage fee per bottle no matter where you drink it.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Forums mobile app

To your point...

NCL says NO boxed wine since, if you have it in your luggage, it will not set off an alarm.

YOU are cheating them?! :p

IMHO...

If u can afford to go to Rio, just buy a bottle on the ship or in town.:)

One of our best experiences was sharing a bottle(or two) of champagne with another couple at a cafe on the beach of Copacabana.

Edited by $hip$hape