Inquiring Mind.....help from Windstar Experts

Lois R

Hi Lois R:

I think the most exciting itinerary for the Mediterranean in that timeframe is on July 1st, when the Wind Star sets sail from Athens to Venice for a 12-night journey. There are so many great ports jammed into that trip, with Venice, Dubrovnik, and Kotor being absolute bucket-list destinations you must see before you die. I'm told Rovinj is also exquisite. I'd definitely throw in an extra day or two in Venice to soak up all that gem city has to offer.

(And I say that with one caveat -- we had a bad time in Athens at the tail end of our 30 Sep 16 sailing from Venice to Athens on the Star Breeze. No fault for Windstar. The air traffic controller's union decided to throw a tantrum and had a brief strike that paralyzed all flights to and from Athens, so we were stuck in Athens for an extra day. But Windstar bent over backwards to try to minimize the anxiety. So if you can tolerate the uncertainties of the economy in Athens, then almost everything else about that July 1st trip will be extraordinary. Note: make sure to hit the Dubrovnik ramparts as early in the morning as you can, because it will be really crowded and hot as heck by mid-day. Ditto for climbing the hillside above Kotor.)

If you want something equally fantastic, but jammed into an 8-night package, then consider one of three offerings in July on the Windstar going roundtrip Venice-Venice. The first one is on July 13th, following by two more clone versions thereafter. Again, I'd definitely throw in an extra day or two in Venice on the front end to get over jetlag and see the sights. That itinerary is unbelievable, with six Adriatic ports along the Dalmatian coast. Full disclosure -- since it's mid-Summer, most of the big ports will be buried in tourists (unfortunately, that will include Dubrovnik and Split), but the other tiny towns will be less busy.

I think the other folks will vouch for the wonderful laid-back feeling and nautical vibe on the 4-masted Wind Star. She's a beauty.

Ditto to LTC Dan but I would not go in the heat of the summer I would go in May or and of Sept/October. Far less crowds, lovely traveling weather. Do not forget the Acropolis Museum, outstanding in Athens. If you have time in Athens go over to the island if Aegina to see the medieval miniature churches and the Temple of Athena. In Venice see St Marks and the Doges Palace in non tourist times and just wander and get lost. Walk in the fog and early morning magical. LTC Dan is right great area and cruise/s.

Thanks for the replies:)....I can't sail on the 1st of the month due to

w o r k:rolleyes:

I know the summertime can be hot but some of the cruises are less $$$

and since I cruise solo I pay more........I will let you know which ones

I am thinking about this evening. Just home for lunch from work.

Thanks again:)

Edited by Lois R

Just bringing this back up front.....I never did book a Caribbean Cruise

with Windstar but.....I am looking at something else to Europe......

possibly in June/July......my plans are up in the air but there is a good

chance I will have this opportunity......:)

Thoughts from ya'll?

You know, Lois R, it occurs to me that not all people automatically default to the "med" options when one says 'Europe' in a posting. Sorry I jumped to that assumption. Now that I see that you were speaking more generally, I think there are some folks out there that would recommend 'Gaelic Explorers', Dublin to Edinburgh. The one I'd do in a heartbeat would be the June 24th sailing of the five-masted Wind Surf, the fleet's flagship. TALK ABOUT GORGEOUS! And much cooler weather. Could still be crowded, but let the other folks tell you about that. This itinerary is on our bucket list.

Lois R, I guess this boils down to the kind of trip you want. Sunny or temperate? Sailing ship, or motorized yacht with a suite? A more secluded, quiet itinerary, or something more energizing? There are so many great choices, and any of them might work out well for a solo traveler. Enjoy!

Ditto to LTC Dan but I would not go in the heat of the summer I would go in May or and of Sept/October. Far less crowds, lovely traveling weather.

We just did that in mid-July - Venice - Turkey - Athens - Malta - Olympia - 90 to 100 degree everyday. If you can handle the heat, no problem (it's not humid) Many people in their 60's and 70's- just carry lots of water with you. We were with another cruise line however but did not experience crowds as we checked beforehand the # of ships in port before booking.

Thank you all for the replies:).....24th of the month is too late in the month

for me......

I was looking at Southern Spain/Morrocco.......it looks interesting to me

and I have never visited those places:)

We're doing the 8 day Windsurf Barcelona-Lisbon in early June with our children and their spouses. Looks like a good mix of history/culture/a beach or two and wine. We are also looking forward to seeing the Alhambra and our one day in Morroco. We will be spending a couple of days on either end.

The Windsurf is our favorite of Windstar's ships and I think a good choice for this outdoor oriented itinerary.

Although it sounds like you're not thinking of going north, we had a wonderful time on the Star Pride last summer doing Iceland/Norway/Ireland. The larger cabins were a good choice as we had some inclement weather and it was nice to spend time in a large private space with giant window.

Edited by Pudgesmom

It is now 2017 and I am still researching:)

Another question:).....do you prefer the sailing ships or the motor yachts?

Or does it not matter and it depends on the itinerary? I am guessing the

service/food/etc is the same standard on any of them.

Standards are all the same and fabulous crew on all. Sailing ships and power yachts very different but both wonderful. We prefer the suites with French balcony on the power yachts but gladly pass on those to be under sail. Itinerary is now our determining factor.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Standards are all the same and fabulous crew on all. Sailing ships and power yachts very different but both wonderful. We prefer the suites with French balcony on the power yachts but gladly pass on those to be under sail. Itinerary is now our determining factor.

How many times have you cruised with them?

Thought I replied but apparently not. 10 or 11 times. Something like that.

Oh wow....alot:D.....you must love them!

We felt at home from the first sailing and now feel like old friends who welcome us back. Fellow passengers are by and large the nicest people and we've been fortunate to make some lifelong friends. The crews are terrific. Nothing to not like other than wishing they would get a bit more organized with shore excursions. We pretty much book our own after some disappointments. Would never consider a large ship again. Whole different experience.

We felt at home from the first sailing and now feel like old friends who welcome us back. Fellow passengers are by and large the nicest people and we've been fortunate to make some lifelong friends. The crews are terrific. Nothing to not like other than wishing they would get a bit more organized with shore excursions. We pretty much book our own after some disappointments. Would never consider a large ship again. Whole different experience.

I sailed on a small ship back in April...smaller than these. I went on a

River Cruise out of Amsterdam and it was fabulous:D....all their excursions

were top notch.....VERY small groups and VERY organized. Too bad you

had issues with Windstar's.....I sail solo and was hoping to go through

the cruiseline's choices........

They are "ok" in most cases. A couple have been spectacular and a couple of duds. Maybe I'm just spoiled with private tours. When you decide on the itinerary check out or start a role call. There are usually people planning excursions who love to share expenses. Windstar passengers are the friendliest group on the water! So much depends on the itinerary and the tour director. We had one this year who was excellent and organized. Had another who was not so good. But a "mediocre " WS tour is 100% better than the large ships. Trust me on that!

I think the challenge with group tours is that they have to appeal and be accessible to the least common denominator. We have found the best ship tours are the ones that they list as strenuous which are just more active and interesting. And usually a smaller group.

I have been looking at cruises all day.....normally on a Monday I would be at work but we had today off for the holiday:D

I started off looking at a few choices....trying to narrow it down......first it

was Spain.....now I have seen 1 called Glitter and Glam and the other is

Best of Europe's West Coast.....can I get some feedback on them from

anyone?:)......both itineraries look fantastic:D

We've did most of Europe's West coast but went Dover to Lisbon. Fell in love with Portugal. El Ferrol was a Sunday and everything was closed. Looked like a nice town. I think the tours were to religious sites (from memory) and we just hung out. Brest France not particularly great port. Industrial but rest of itinerary fabulous. Glitter and Glam great trip. Our 1st 2 ports we were supposed to anchor but had bad weather so they changed to ports with piers. Neat itinerary. Either one great. Depends on your interests.

Edited by sb44

Sorry, Lois. I was working from my cell phone and was thinking about some of the tours in another Spanish port. I just looked at the tours being offered on the sailing you're looking at and they're all interesting. If you decide on this sailing we had a fabulous guide for both Lisbon and the Douro Valley. As I said before, we fell in love with Portugal. We also did Lisbon to Barcelona (just so we could go back to Lisbon) and that was a great sail as well. Again, your interests should dictate because all of them are fantastic. The Lisbon to Dublin will allow you to see Ireland. We're scheduled for Ireland to Scotland in June. The other spectacular cruise we did with Windstar this past fall was from Rome to Venice up the Dalmation Coast. Gorgeous. They are also offering Athens - Venice. We have friends who did that this fall when we were doing Italy & Croatia and they said it was the best cruise ever - and they cruise a lot! It looks like you're an experienced cruiser so just figure out where you haven't been that you want to go see!

Sorry, Lois. I was working from my cell phone and was thinking about some of the tours in another Spanish port. I just looked at the tours being offered on the sailing you're looking at and they're all interesting. If you decide on this sailing we had a fabulous guide for both Lisbon and the Douro Valley. As I said before, we fell in love with Portugal. We also did Lisbon to Barcelona (just so we could go back to Lisbon) and that was a great sail as well. Again, your interests should dictate because all of them are fantastic. The Lisbon to Dublin will allow you to see Ireland. We're scheduled for Ireland to Scotland in June. The other spectacular cruise we did with Windstar this past fall was from Rome to Venice up the Dalmation Coast. Gorgeous. They are also offering Athens - Venice. We have friends who did that this fall when we were doing Italy & Croatia and they said it was the best cruise ever - and they cruise a lot! It looks like you're an experienced cruiser so just figure out where you haven't been that you want to go see!

Thank you for coming back with that explanation:)

Hi, we have been on 19 cruises with WS. We love the experience. We adored the cruise from Barcelona to Lisbon, the history, the art, the visuals, the friendly Spanish people, truly wonderful. We did Istanbul to Athens very sadly WS does not go into Istanbul anymore because it is a fantastic city and a very exciting harbor to go out of. Ephassus was glorious, going theough the Dardenells was magnificient. I would think on the motor yachts going through the Cornith Canal would be fantastic. We did Tall Ships Oslo to Dover stunning. In May we are replicating Sb44 trip Venice to Rome it has been on my wish list for years. wS is a great way to travel or take a vacation. I do not do tours for the most part but when I do we get our own because we do not like to be with large groups of people and my interests are very specific. However, that being said we took WS tours in Tahiti and they were excellent. Motor/Sail either/or we love both. Venice I need to go out under sail. I say if you are going to Europe pick an area you are very interested in, stop stressing, sit back and enjoy. There is much to love. Happy Sailing Susanne