Is traditional dining done?

Rjbobalou

I don't understand why everyone is trying to convince everyone else which dining option is better. The reason they have both is because people like different things. Different strokes for different folks!! :D

That's what I was poorly trying to say! You've ummed it up so well...guess that's why you're the QueenofEverything...I bow down;)

So let me get this right:

Traditional dining = I will always have the same table and waitstaff at the same time every night, regardless of my choosing to dine elsewhere at times I have a right to keep this table spot and waitstaff waiting for when my whims take me back there.

Select dining = I can choose to reserve a table in the same place at the same time for the nights I wish to dine in the MDR. Currently I may wait occasionally despite my reservation because there are empty tables reserved and unoccupied by the traditionslists.

Traditional dining = I will always have the same table and waitstaff at the same time every night, regardless of my choosing to dine elsewhere at times I have a right to keep this table spot and waitstaff waiting for when my whims take me back there.

Select dining = I can choose to reserve a table in the same place at the same time for the nights I wish to dine in the MDR. Currently I may wait occasionally despite my reservation because there are empty tables reserved and unoccupied by the traditionslists.

They are two completely different areas or floors (at least on the ships i've been on). If you've booked a table in Select you'll never be waiting due to what the traditionals might or might not be doing.

Both areas will have empty and full tables/seats and on the whole waiting times seem to be set by what size of table you need (made better/worse by what time you want). That might not be made any easier even if you could pick an empty seat in the traditional area as you're unlikely to ever have (for example) a table of 8 all free at once for a big family. Just because one couple doesn't show up doesn't mean the rest won't.

On the whole people in traditional pick it because they want to have that fixed time and normally do show up. I haven't come across many who go elsewhere more than a couple of times. And the waitstaff are more than busy enough, I'm sure they won't lose sleep over having fewer mouths to feed on any given night.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

No, regarding Select. You can reserve a time but this will not guarantee you the same waitstaff or the same table ;). When you reserve a time in Select, that is the only element you are reserving in that particular dining room/area ;).

If you are on traditional dining, it's only polite, where possible, to inform your waitstaff if you intend to dine in a specialty restaurant the following evening.

If you are on traditional dining, it's only polite, where possible, to inform your waitstaff if you intend to dine in a specialty restaurant the following evening.

That is true especially so the waitstaff doesn't hold up the rest of the table waiting for you to arrive even though you won't.

That is true especially so the waitstaff doesn't hold up the rest of the table waiting for you to arrive even though you won't.

We usually have a table for 2 in traditional and let our waitstaff know if we're dining in specialty since they usually know that we like certain appetizers every night. It just feels courteous.

It seems like Celebrity is getting away from traditional dining

The traditional dining is still the preferred way, though select is becoming more popular. We tried it & had too much wait time & have quickly switched back. That & the fact we like to get to know the staff that take care of us.

We've only done traditional once, to try it, and had a good experience - great tablemates - but didn't like the 'commitment'.

We were Select on our last cruise (Equinox - Feb-15) and our cruising friends had reserved for 6pm each night. I wasn't thrilled about being on a schedule (they assured me we could blow off the reservation if need be) and it ended up being the best dining experience we've had yet. Our first night we were completely 'wow'd' by our serving staff & sommelier. Requested same table for next night. The hostess knew by the 3rd night to 'hold' our table for us.

Those with reservations entered on one side of the dining room. Walk ins entered on the other. We never waited more than a couple of minutes.

We've never tipped extra in the dining room, but we sure did on this trip. Is our dream to have a repeat of this in February!

Having a great hostess is the key, I believe, and I now wish we would have tipped her additional as well.

Just curious why don't you never tip extra to the waiter and aw in the dining room?

Thank you.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Flexible dining never worked for us as the early seating was too early and the late seating too late. However, you can make reservations for select dining. In fact, you are encouraged to do so. you can call every morning and set a time or you can even make them before you sail. If you just show up, that's fine...but you may have to wait to be seated. On Summit, reservations were seated before those that did not have reservations. With a large party I would definitely make a reservation.

Just curious why don't you never tip extra to the waiter and aw in the dining room?

Thank you.

In all our cruises we never failed to tip extra. The staff has always been great. I guess as long as Pax keep the "auto gratuity" on, some don't necessarily feel the need to tip over & above. Being in the food industry, we tend to be more generous with the staff when we cruise, as we know how it feels when extra appreciation is shown to us.

In all our cruises we never failed to tip extra. The staff has always been great. I guess as long as Pax keep the "auto gratuity" on, some don't necessarily feel the need to tip over & above. Being in the food industry, we tend to be more generous with the staff when we cruise, as we know how it feels when extra appreciation is shown to us.

Agree.

In all but one cruise ( had a surly waiter), we always give envelopes with cash, (amount commensurate with length of the cruise), to our MDR waiter and aw, on the next to last dinner to show our appreciation for their hard work. The prepaid gratuity is, IMHO, not that much considering they work pretty hard to keep us PAX happy at dinner.

Just my 2 cents. :). Of course, to each their own. YMMV.

Thank you.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Well, in one particular instance, I can say for certain that traditional dining is alive and well. We recently booked our very first music charter cruise (Summit 2018 Smooth Jazz Cruise). The ONLY MDR options offered were traditional first and second seating times. I've been told by previous jazz cruisers, that everything on these charters revolves around the evening shows. I also read some recent reviews of a music cruise on NCL's Breakaway, which indicate that free-style megaships and music cruises are not a good match.

Agree.

In all but one cruise ( had a surly waiter), we always give envelopes with cash, (amount commensurate with length of the cruise), to our MDR waiter and aw, on the next to last dinner to show our appreciation for their hard work. The prepaid gratuity is, IMHO, not that much considering they work pretty hard to keep us PAX happy at dinner.

Just my 2 cents. :). Of course, to each their own. YMMV.

Thank you.

We did have one waiter on the Queen Victoria who always seemed to rush us along. We were always out by 7:30.(pretty much as we always do) I finally had to tell him to back it off a bit. After that it was ok. Only real downside, was his refusal to give me more Lobster on the last formal night. The tail I had was tiny. I still gave him his extra tip the next day, but regretted it later.