Anthem - EXTREME cuts - what could be next - so disappointed

Hi All,

We have a cruise booked on the Anthem and are getting very concerned for the drastic changes compared to what we booked. We were tired of the same old and looking for a new cruising experience.

We were sold on the dynamic dining concept with different menues from the rest of the fleet and were enticed by the various cuisines and rotation of restaurants. After booking, dynamic dining, one of the main selling points, was discontinued for cruises beginning on 11/27 impacting our December cruise.

We loved the concept of Music Hall with rotating live muisc aside from and in addition to the typical house band. I just read that the Anthem of the Seas has abruptly stopped the tribute bands for at least the remainder of the year.

What next is going to change and be cut in such a short period of time? These were all selling points. It's also concerning that few details have been released regarding the new dining aside from no rotations and "new" menus (don't even know if they will at lease keep favorites from the current menus we were sold on and have been looking forward to) althogh the current menus are ironaclly what is new and innovate compared to the rest of the fleet.

Edited by robbykapnj

Don't be too disappointed about the end of dynamic dining. In theory, dynamic dining is an interesting idea. I give RC credit for trying to be innovative. However, our experience was that the food in the included restaurants was not very good. Maybe with one menu the quality will improve. I'm hopeful! [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi All,

We have a cruise booked on the Anthem and are getting very concerned for the drastic changes compared to what we booked. We were tired of the same old and looking for a new cruising experience.

We were sold on the dynamic dining concept with different menues from the rest of the fleet and were enticed by the various cuisines and rotation of restaurants. After booking, dynamic dining, one of the main selling points, was discontinued for cruises beginning on 11/27 impacting our December cruise.

We loved the concept of Music Hall with rotating live muisc aside from and in addition to the typical house band. I just read that the Anthem of the Seas has abruptly stopped the tribute bands for at least the remainder of the year.

What next is going to change and be cut in such a short period of time? These were all selling points. It's also concerning that few details have been released regarding the new dining aside from no rotations and "new" menus (don't even know if they will at lease keep favorites from the current menus we were sold on and have been looking forward to) althogh the current menus are ironaclly what is new and innovate compared to the rest of the fleet.

Probably they will cut We Will Rock You, because it's too loud. And the gift because it's too confusing.

At least you already know you will have a bad time during your cruise. Saves a lot of effort having a good time.

Why didn't you just cancel this cruise and sail Breakaway as you told everyone you were going to do months ago?

:D:p Haha some people are so picky. Dining is like 5% of the cruise experience. And it has been repeatedly noted that Dynamic Dining did not pan out. I'm booked on Anthem for March, really really looking forward to iFly, North Star, Solarium, Bumper cars, and all of the things you get on any cruise (sunsets, ocean air, the awe of walking up to a new ship.)

But really, just enjoy your cruise and don't let the dining changes upset you! And if they do, maybe pick another vacation this year. I would hardly call these cuts...more like changes. And if it is so EXTREME, just cancel.

Edited by atnolan94

We cruised Anthem back in March 2016 with a group of 8. We all enjoyed Dynamic Dining and the food quality and menu items were WAY better than the regular RCCL menu. We sailed Liberty in October 2015 and that was the worst cruise DH and I have ever taken in regards to food and service. Just terrible. We said we'd try Anthem because of the different dining option and menus. we really enjoyed that, now they are doing away with one of the best things about the ship. It's too bad.

We just got back - our dining experience was a challenge to put it nicely and I will write about that when I do my review later. But as someone said dining is a small percentage of the cruise. We had a good time and will possibly go on Anthem again in April.

On the music front, no we didn't have a tribute band, however, there was some GREAT music in the Music Hall. One night they did a tribute to Billy Joel - the cast of We Will Rock You came out and performed different songs. It was absolutely fantastic! They also had the main guitar player from WWRY (Bob Wegner (I think that was his name) he did an amazing set and played all kinds of music on the guitar - some examples are Led Zeppelin, The Beatles and Rush. He was absolutely incredible. So trust me, there is plenty of music going on which is worth listening too. Personally, I can't stand the Beatles so I was happy we didn't have a Beatles tribute band on-board.

Maybe because Breakaway cut so much of their stuff as well :)

I think you missed the point. He said that because the OP posted on this subject a month ago with the same complaints and (supposedly) had decided to cancel their cruise in favor of another line. I guess they didn't realize how good a memory many on these message boards have. ;)

I think you missed the point. He said that because the OP posted on this subject a month ago with the same complaints and (supposedly) had decided to cancel their cruise in favor of another line. I guess they didn't realize how good a memory many on these message boards have. ;)

The OP has had multiple threads about cancelling, these are the ones that didn't get deleted:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2401216

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2406803

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2396619

There are also many other threads complaining about this booking. When a poster starts more than 20 threads complaining about the same booking, one tends to remember them.

Don't be too disappointed about the end of dynamic dining. In theory, dynamic dining is an interesting idea. I give RC credit for trying to be innovative. However, our experience was that the food in the included restaurants was not very good. Maybe with one menu the quality will improve. I'm hopeful! [emoji3]

You're joking. The food was very good on our Aug. 25th cruise. I enjoyed the diverse menus and the rotation to the 4 restaurants. What make you think that the food quality will improve with the elimination of DD. I will miss the concept due to some very vocal individuals.

You're joking. The food was very good on our Aug. 25th cruise. I enjoyed the diverse menus and the rotation to the 4 restaurants. What make you think that the food quality will improve with the elimination of DD. I will miss the concept due to some very vocal individuals.

I agree, just got off on Oct. 20, I thought DD was very well executed and the staff very friendly and knowledgeable about their menus. I will miss it as well, but am glad I had a chance to experience it as intended.

Hi All,

Dynamic Dining was a flop, glad it's gone. The crew was worked to death with DD. The tribute bands I could give a rats --- about. So don't consider either or of those as cuts.....K.O.:)

Dynamic Dining was a flop, glad it's gone. The crew was worked to death with DD. The tribute bands I could give a rats --- about. So don't consider either or of those as cuts.....K.O.:)

Worked to death. My dining staff had the same number of tables as in the regular MDR scheme. And this was the same on the Quantum when the original DD was implemented and not the "Classic" version.

I'm hopeful that the food will improve. [emoji1]

Hi All,

You had your Chance to cancel, you knew about the changes in time to cancel. If you didn´t cancel - it´s time to stop the whining.

I guess those who loved DD could have been as vocal, but obviously they were in the minority and RCI had to make a decision to stop losing Business from the majorly failed concept of DD.

I´m more than happy they got rid of it. It was definitely my worst Dining Experience on a ship. I didn´t think I would ever say this, but it was even worse than NCL´s Freestyle:eek::eek::eek:

Also just off the Anthem and had classic seating but only bc I was overwhelmed with what dynamic entailed and thought it was easier. I don't have an opinion either way. I will tell you that my waiter said it was too difficult on the staff to keep up with the rotations and they were happy it was ending. On a side note, many people before the cruise were unable to get early seating bc it was waitlisted so I was a litte shocked when I looked around and saw so many empty tables night after night.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Also just off the Anthem and had classic seating but only bc I was overwhelmed with what dynamic entailed and thought it was easier. I don't have an opinion either way. I will tell you that my waiter said it was too difficult on the staff to keep up with the rotations and they were happy it was ending. On a side note, many people before the cruise were unable to get early seating bc it was waitlisted so I was a litte shocked when I looked around and saw so many empty tables night after night.

We did DD on Quantum and loved it. We where looking forward to it on Anthem. Because I wanted to pick which restaurant we ate what night I did not sign up for the rotation. I would not want to dress formal for the Grande on say a beach day.

When they cancelled DD (our sailing is not until June 2017.) I called my TA to put us on early dinning. He said it was waitlisted and we had late dinning. That Royal moved all the people who had DD to My Time Dining. I didn't want MTD if I can not pick the restaurant and menu for the night I want convenience of the same table and same waiter every night.

I made it clear that since we are well within our cancellation time we should be able to get us early dinning. He got it done I think he knew that without early dinning guaranteed I would cancel and reprice and maybe rebook. Its not like we got this amazing deal when we booked the price has been stable whenever I check it.

We did DD on Quantum and loved it. We where looking forward to it on Anthem. Because I wanted to pick which restaurant we ate what night I did not sign up for the rotation. I would not want to dress formal for the Grande on say a beach day.

When they cancelled DD (our sailing is not until June 2017.) I called my TA to put us on early dinning. He said it was waitlisted and we had late dinning. That Royal moved all the people who had DD to My Time Dining. I didn't want MTD if I can not pick the restaurant and menu for the night I want convenience of the same table and same waiter every night.

I made it clear that since we are well within our cancellation time we should be able to get us early dinning. He got it done I think he knew that without early dinning guaranteed I would cancel and reprice and maybe rebook. Its not like we got this amazing deal when we booked the price has been stable whenever I check it.

I booked Anthem for DEC of 2017 and early dining is already waitlisted. Wth?! 14 months out?! The first few reviews after the switch should be interesting but I am by no means a foodie. Heck, I ordered off the kids menu in Grande last week. Lol

The OP has had multiple threads about cancelling, these are the ones that didn't get deleted:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2401216

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2406803

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2396619

There are also many other threads complaining about this booking. When a poster starts more than 20 threads complaining about the same booking, one tends to remember them.

why would someone do this? weird....:rolleyes: