Back to Oceania Mattresses

Mura

I DID to a search on this and found that the ordering source in Miami is Global Resource Registry. I tried ordering one of the ultra queen size mattresses and was told that my item had been added to the shopping cart ... except that there is nothing in the shopping cart.

If I order the basic queen size mattress, it does go into the shopping cart.

I guess my question is: does anyone know the difference between the "ultra" and the "standard"? Does anyone know which mattresses are in the top suites on Oceania ships? I've been assuming that it would be the ultra, but maybe it isn't!

The price being quoted for the ultra in the queen size is around $4400, whereas the standard queen is a little under $3000 ... of course once you add on pillows and other extras, it can add up!

We're looking into other options but do love the mattresses we've had on Oceania ships.

Thanks,

Mura

Looks like you need a ladder to get into the bed :D

at that height OSHA would require sleepers to wear a safety harness ( class3) and have a shock absorbing laynard attached to a wall anchor raited at 2000 lbs....

.They may wave the Helmet requirement for home use as well as steel toe shoes.... But I suspect if you dont use the bed for "commercial Purposes " you might be exempt but would have to post an OSHA exemption by the bed.

Thanks, Jim. That link should be helpful!

Not sure we'll be getting one of these mattresses but I want to be comparing apples to apples.

(No, I didn't call because it was around 10pm on a Saturday evening and I thought I might get some first hand answers here sooner!)

Mura

LOL! I can identify with your tall mattress, JimandStan.

Years back we purchased a new gel/foam/coil combo mattress. Not as good as O's but still very nice.

As the salesman was writing up the purchase details he asked if we wanted the low box spring (normally used with the tttaalll mattress) or the regular (taller) box spring - same price.

On the "get as much as I possibly can for the price" theory I chose the regular taller box spring.

With the tall boxspring and the tall mattress our bed as a little higher than the top of the dressers. Feels very odd to be so elevated. However, is very nice gettting out of bed; almost upright when feet hit the floor.

And while close to Paulchili's need-a-ladder height, no boots Dan.

We know better for next time - less is more.

When I was visiting my mother in L.A. prior to her death I loved the upstairs bedroom which gave me absolute privacy ... but indeed could have used a ladder to get onto the bed.

And it was just an ordinary mattress ... comfortable enough but not all that great!

Mura

I dont know about O but I sort of bought a top of the line mattress used by Marriott... pillow top... The were going for $3--4000 in the catalogs...

However, a discussion with a housekeeping manager as to what would happen if one were to have a wild party in ones room and destroy the mattress porved productive.

In a stroke of luck I found that the hotel would bill me for a replacement whatever....

But I discovered they wouldbill me at the hotels contract price!!! Not the retail price. AND, were one to report his mattress destroyed, and the house keeping manager accepted ones word, he would bill the person at Hotel replacement cost.

However, when the replacement was delevered and the bed had no damage then the manager had an extra bed..... which had been paid for by the guest !

He could send the mattress back or keep it and refund the guest......or if by some strange coincidence, the guest had left a shipping label and a shipping Bill of lading, and a few dollars appreciation, the manager could forward the mattress to the guest... and all would be happy

The guest was pleased, the manager happy and the guest discovered that that 3000 mattress was charged at corporate contract price of $385.00 plus shipping.....

Just a thought thinking out of the box of possibilities

Edited by Hawaiidan

• 1 month later...

Well the search for a new mattress has been undertaken , after all a serious business one spends a third of ones life in bed !!! Doing what I will not venture to speculate on .

I did think about similar larks to that suggested by Dan , but just did the normal negotiation with out much success on this occasion.

We have been looking in the UK and trying out a number of beds , but she who knows best keep referring back to the Matermoll mattresses as used by Oceania, which I must admit were comfortable.

So we found the UK supplier , up in t north , 163miles away and we set off for a day out , tried the beds , and against Vi-Spring the alternative on the short list and found each make to be entirely different , but we did settle on a Matermoll Prestige. Even trying the correct size in a picture window display, bit public however the blinds were drawn for us.( it did turn out that here was another shop to be visited a few miles away , dressmaking fabric in profusion )

The Supplier , Websters Furniture of Brighouse were very good , helpful and obliging, the Price was as their website £2048 for a king size inc delivery back to Essex in around 4/5 weeks.

So time will tell if it's the right choice , but again it was comfy but in a very different way to a conventional pocket sprung mattress , less bounce is what I would say, firm , but soft at the same time and certainly no element of the side feeling like it was collapsing under me which is the feeling I had with Others .

Edited by S2000ap1

Well the search for a new mattress has been undertaken , after all a serious business one spends a third of ones life in bed !!! Doing what I will not venture to speculate on .

I did think about similar larks to that suggested by Dan , but just did the normal negotiation with out much success on this occasion.

We have been looking in the UK and trying out a number of beds , but she who knows best keep referring back to the Matermoll mattresses as used by Oceania, which I must admit were comfortable.

So we found the UK supplier , up in t north , 163miles away and we set off for a day out , tried the beds , and against Vi-Spring the alternative on the short list and found each make to be entirely different , but we did settle on a Matermoll Prestige. Even trying the correct size in a picture window display, bit public however the blinds were drawn for us.( it did turn out that here was another shop to be visited a few miles away , dressmaking fabric in profusion )

The Supplier , Websters Furniture of Brighouse were very good , helpful and obliging, the Price was as their website £2048 for a king size inc delivery back to Essex in around 4/5 weeks.

So time will tell if it's the right choice , but again it was comfy but in a very different way to a conventional pocket sprung mattress , less bounce is what I would say, firm , but soft at the same time and certainly no element of the side feeling like it was collapsing under me which is the feeling I had with Others .

Mattermoll will also deliver direct from the factory in Italy to the UK, and the prices compared favourably with Vi Sprung etc. I enquired by email about 12 months ago, and found them very helpful. Try emailing pierangela@matermoll.com and info@mattermoll.com if in Europe.

Even with the sale prices being offered by VI Spring the Mattermoll was cheaper

So having used the retailers facilities and stock to make a descision you think it's acceptable to bypass the retailer cut them out of the loop and buy from the Italian manufacturer who in the event of a problem would almost certainly be a pain to deal with !

Down this route lies to end of the high street , the ability to try and buy and deal with a person face to face ! I won't go into the details of the deal I made but it doesent only involve a mattress

I really wouldn't buy a bed without trying and to be honest the ones in the shop were from memory slightly firmer than the ship ones , maybe less use !!!

I really wouldn't buy a bed without trying and to be honest the ones in the shop were from memory slightly firmer than the ship ones , maybe less use !!!

Well just invite different people in evey week to sleep in the bed & it will be broken in ;)

Did you get the gel topper as well ??

I find without that the bed on the ship is firmer

I agree better to try out the bed before you buy one