What's your favorite wine? What's all the hype about?

ettaterrell

What didn't you like about ones you tried above? Was the Pinot Grigio too tart and acidic?

The Grigio was very flat... not sweet at all (to me)

The Riesling was a very hit me in the face taste lol I can't even describe it... I could barely finish the glass. Not sweet at all (to me). I have tasted other wines like this and that taste is what has turned me off wines to start with. If I had started with this wine I wouldn't have kept going this time. So glad the first Riesling I tried was good!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If all you've liked so far is the Chateau St Michelle "Sweet Riesling," that's understandable. Typical for some folks new to wine to like things on the sweeter side. There are a lot of Germanic wines that have some sweetness to them. Too bad we didn't have this conversation before TG. One of the best wines for turkey is Gewurztraminer- just the right amount of slight fruitiness in a brand like Gundlach Bundschu (Sonoma County).

Just a note on your pix: these are all fairly low end wines. In fact, the only ones I've heard of are the St. Michelle and the Ménage a Trois. In all honesty, I'd toss the other stuff and focus on finding more of the Germanic types like Riesling and Gewurtztraminer. Forget about my other previous post recommendations for now.

If you've got a Costco, BevMo or Total Wine nearby, check with their wine person(s) on something better than the St Michelle and, perhaps, a little bit drier. If possible, look for California and New York Rieslings since they will be easier to find in varying locations. In fact, google Navarro (Philo, CA). This winery started with Germanic wines and they have sampler packages for sale or you can mix/match some of their recommendations (call them). Most of their business is mail order though you might try Total Wine or BevMo.

If your travels ever take you to Northern California's north coast (Mendocino County), do go to Navarro for tasting- I know you'll find something there you'll like.

Ok I will look into that thanks!

My wine experience started out with Boone's Farm, Annie Green Springs and Lancer, all in college. Progressed to Two Buck Chuck and now my palate tends to things like Opus One and Caymus.

OP, one thing you must remember is that a wine's taste changes dramatically depending on what you're eating. We just got back from a 10 course tasting menu with a wine pairing, and I can tell you, each wine tasted different from the first taste to adding it with the food. There were a couple wines that I didn't like when I first tasted them, but when I paired them with the food, those wines were exceptional and had wonderful flavors. Some wines just don't taste good when paired with certain foods, for example with strong cheeses, you really need a sweeter wine and not a dry red or white.

Wow ok I didn't know that! For now I'm just starting out so I want to find a drinking wine. After learning a lot more I will venture off into food pairing. What do you think?

For me it's Sauvignon Blanc for a white wine and Cabernet Sauvignon for a red wine. Nothing sweet. Usually before and during our meal. Never after. I don't concern myself with pairing the wine to the food I'm eating.

Of course you should drink what you like but the proper food pairings make a big difference.

For me it's Sauvignon Blanc for a white wine and Cabernet Sauvignon for a red wine. Nothing sweet. Usually before and during our meal. Never after. I don't concern myself with pairing the wine to the food I'm eating.

You don't have to get all matchy matchy but you should be aware of foods that will make a wine taste like crap. Have a curry, hot wings, or Thai food with that cab and see what a difference it makes.

Of course you should drink what you like but the proper food pairings make a big difference.

You don't have to get all matchy matchy but you should be aware of foods that will make a wine taste like crap. Have a curry, hot wings, or Thai food with that cab and see what a difference it makes.

I've been drinking wine for a long time and well aware of the whole pairing hype. That's why I said I don't concern myself with pairing the wine to the food I'm eating. Another thing I don't concern myself with is the type of glass the different wines or even beers should be drank out of. I know I go against the grain but that's my preference. Cheers!

Edited by davekathy

Wow ok I didn't know that! For now I'm just starting out so I want to find a drinking wine. After learning a lot more I will venture off into food pairing. What do you think?

Steer clear of food pairing- really inappropriate for wine-tasting when you're trying to educate your palate and assess differences from bottle to bottle.

Not really. Good wine is good wine.

Sorry. But that is incorrect. Good wine can taste awful when paired incorrectly. Any kind of heat in food with make a red more tannic and dry. You'll lose all the fruit. Kind of a waste of a good wine to pair it incorrectly. If you're a super plain eater than it will make less of a difference. Or if you like fruity wines like a Beaujolais you'd be safer, but not a cab.

Sorry. But that is incorrect. Good wine can taste awful when paired incorrectly. Any kind of heat in food with make a red more tannic and dry. You'll lose all the fruit. Kind of a waste of a good wine to pair it incorrectly. If you're a super plain eater than it will make less of a difference. Or if you like fruity wines like a Beaujolais you'd be safer, but not a cab.

Sorry back at ya. Given the OP's choice of wines so far (honestly: pretty much all "bottom of the barrel", food pairing experimentation would be a real waste of time. Bad wine is bad wine. She really needs to find her niche with the wine by itself. Once she has a playing field, she can play with her food.

Again, find the preferred varietals and styles and, THEN, worry about having wine with dinner.

Sorry back at ya. Given the OP's choice of wines so far (honestly: pretty much all "bottom of the barrel", food pairing experimentation would be a real waste of time. Bad wine is bad wine. She really needs to find her niche with the wine by itself. Once she has a playing field, she can play with her food.

Again, find the preferred varietals and styles and, THEN, worry about having wine with dinner.

I don't disagree that they can wait on food pairing what I disagreed with was your statement that good wine is good wine no matter what's it's paired with. There's nothing wrong with knowing that it can make a difference.

Before dinner, during dinner and after dinner? I am not a wine drinker but would love to be. I have tried a few but nothing yet has been "wow I see why Someone would like this". Do you drink different ones threw out a meal or just stick to your favorite?

For me it really depends on several factors,

• one is the weather, hotter weather has me drinking more white than red and cooler weather has me drinking more red,
  • second is the food as sometimes a wine pairing works really well,
  • third is my mood, sometimes I what a lighter wine others a heavier drop,
  • and last of all depends on my wife and what we both want to drink (if we are getting a bottle).

Edited by MicCanberra

Most interesting food pairing I've had so far: champagne and French Fries. Yes. It works!!!

Most challenging food pairing I've had so far: spam sushi at a luau at a Forbes 5 star restaurant... best left alone ;)

Global pairing - a good German Reisling goes GREAT with Thai food...

Don't tell - I had the last of my Beaujolais Nouveaux (yes, I know, but having it at Thanksgiving is a family tradition) with a tuna salad sandwich Monday :cool:

Edited by slidergirl

Most interesting food pairing I've had so far: champagne and French Fries. Yes. It works!!!

Most challenging food pairing I've had so far: spam sushi at a luau at a Forbes 5 star restaurant... best left alone ;)

Global pairing - a good German Reisling goes GREAT with Thai food...

Don't tell - I had the last of my Beaujolais Nouveaux (yes, I know, but having it at Thanksgiving is a family tradition) with a tuna salad sandwich Monday :cool:

My last wine instructor was raving about Beringer white zin (blech) and KFC. Can't say I've tried it though :o

Edited by Cruise Junky

<snip>

Ah the good old BoJolly Nouveau! To be fair, it was a fad in the 80s in UK (races from France etc.) - BUT - it did herald a change in attitude to wine. Before BN - it was Liebfraumilch or Mateus Rose (shudder) - after the BN marketing hype, people began to experiment with other varietals. I think the resurgence in Australian wines in the UK happened about the same time as well.

My last wine instructor was raving about Berlinger white zin (blech) and KFC. Can't say I've tried it though :o

Yeah, the champagne and fries things was done at a wine class up at Stein Eriksen Lodge. I used to up there once a month for the cooking class they used to hold. The class also had a wine component to feature different wines from several different price points to show you could have good tastes without spending a lot.

the Spam sushi was kind of a joke offering from Chef - he spent time in Hawaii and had talked about how Spam was a big thing over there as a relic from WWII. We all had some and laughed with him.

Actually, truffle fries and champagne (well, okay, a nice crisp Prosecco since I love all things Italian) would have to be one of my "guilty pleasures".....

Similar food, same purses/bags, love of Italy - I swear we really ARE related ;)

I do drink more Prosecco than Champagne, but this place did more Champagne than Prosecco...