What's your favorite wine? What's all the hype about?

ettaterrell

I shall have to rummage through the rack and the cases to see if we have that - I am not familiar with Albarino but I'm always up for trying new wines - noted for our next set of purchases.

A brief description would be nice?

Albarino (Alvarinho) is a green-skinned grape variety native to Galicia on the north Atlantic coast of Spain. It is best known as being the key grape variety in the Rias Baixas DO, where it makes plump white wines with peach, citrus and mineral characters that pair perfectly with the local seafood.

The variety is high in acidity, and can be produced as a light white wine or in a fuller style, with oak or lees aging adding to the texture and richness. A marine characteristic from the nearby Atlantic ocean is often discernible, sometimes manifesting itself as a slight salinity, which makes Albarino a perfect food wine. The variety is often made into a lightly sparkling Vinho Verde wine in Portugal, which is commonly labeled varietally to distinguish it from the usual Louriero-based Vinho Verde blend. Here, the variety is known as Alvarinho.

Albarino (Alvarinho) Grapes

Albarino is native to the area in the northwestern corner of the Iberian peninsula, but it is not clear on which side of the border – as it is planted widely on each side. In Spain, Albarino constitutes more than 90 percent of the grapes planted in the Rias Baixas area, where the complex mesoclimates within this DO signify the many different sub-regions and variations between vintages and vineyards.

I prefer the lighter style albarino wine.

If a dry Riesling and a gewurtztraminer had a child it could be an Albariño :) It's got some floral qualities of a gewertz/Viognier but is pretty high in acid. Another grape I really like is Torrontes from Argentina

Yes a good description.:D

• 2 weeks later...
If a dry Riesling and a gewurtztraminer had a child it could be an Albariño :) It's got some floral qualities of a gewertz/Viognier but is pretty high in acid.

Well I had a rummage and found that I had a bottle of Albarino (from a mixed case we got as a freeby for booking a cruise!):D

We both enjoyed it, so it is another one for the list.

Thanks for the recommendation, folks.