Gluten Free

Caroldoll

Contact special services dept well in advance of the cruise so they can stock GF items

They will give her a menu usually the night or two before for her to choose what she would like (except 1st night)

She should also ask to speak to the chef if eating in the Terrace so they can point out safe items for her to eat

What special diets are available on the ships?

Special arrangements can be made if you require diabetic, gluten-free, lactose-free, kosher, vegetarian and vegan meals. Other diets must be requested for approval and, in some cases, may require additional medical documentation.

Edited by LHT28

We are taking our family (grown, not kids) on Oceania. One DIL must have gluten free. Do they offer this on the menu??? Do I have to make special arrangements. Thanks everyone.

You must contact Oceania in advance through special services, and advise them as to how strict a diet she will be following, whereupon an executive chef on the ship will be assigned to your daughter in laws "case".

Once on board, DIL will receive reports in her stateroom each day , loosely styled as menus, which detail which offerings in the "main" restaurants (i.e. the Grand Dining Room and the Terrace) adhere to her desired level of gluten abstinence. Some dishes on the report will require advance notice to insure that they are served without gluten, other items will be naturally gluten free and may be ordered in the restaurant as normal.

The other restaurants have static menus, so their gluten free dishes exist on a handout, which may be printed out at will; on those nights when your DIL is scheduled to dine in a Specialty Restaurant, she will automatically receive the appropriate handout. Questions and exceptions may be communicated via a telephone number for the Chef in Charge, which is also provided daily.

If nothing on any menu fits the bill, the kitchen will prepare special orders, hopefully with at least a few hours notice.

Similar procedures are in place for other dietary restrictions, and the most common complaint that I've heard is that the Oceania process is so thorough that virtually all excuses for cheating are eliminated.

Edited by JimandStan

I can answer this one, just got off 2 week cruise Regatta.

You won't go hungry but for the money you spend you won't be happy.

Yes I contacted the right people, yes TA knew, yes met with someone when I boarded..

You get menus for supper 2 days in advance. Wednesday nights menu will be delivered to you Monday night you are to turn in by 10am. Tue ..

I had toast, burnt toast and finally found out they had GF buns after filing complaint with Chef. They were awful. The pancake is not edible. Was told no GF French toast etc. I am sure you are getting the drift.

On the plus side, I did have lobster, lobster, seafood, Creme Brulee etc, often.. You will not go hungry except for bread.

At tea, make friends with a head waiter, they can make sure there will be something for you, flourless choc cake or choc chip cookies etc.

Vacation will be enjoyable but for about 10.00 they could really enhance a GF cruisers menu.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I am thinking she will find enough to eat. She has to be gluten free, and I choose to prefer it. A person can exist. I am glad she will be given some options. Thank for reassuring me. We have told the TA and she is a preferred O travel agent, so I am hoping for the best.

I can answer this one, just got off 2 week cruise Regatta.

I had toast, burnt toast and finally found out they had GF buns after filing complaint with Chef. They were awful. The pancake is not edible. Was told no GF French toast etc. I am sure you are getting the drift.

On the plus side, I did have lobster, lobster, seafood, Creme Brulee etc, often.. You will not go hungry except for bread.

At tea, make friends with a head waiter, they can make sure there will be something for you, flourless choc cake or choc chip cookies etc.

I am GF and have been on 4 O cruises so far. Most importantly, I haven't yet got "glutened" on O, so that is a big success in my book.

Overall have been quite pleased. I don't eat a lot of bread, so O's mainly just-okay GF bread wasn't a big deal for me (I don't have a high opinion of GF bread in general). iirc the GF bread in Jacques was pretty good.

I thought the pancakes were fine - but am not a huge pancake eater (didn't realize they existed until cruise 3). Ymmv, obviously the pancakes were not great for Troban!

Tea seems to vary. Didn't make it to tea until cruise 3, and then didn't ask for GF until the second visit - it was as if they were waiting for me 'just a moment madame, let me get you a selection' sort of thing. Cruise 4 I went to tea once and got a 'you have to let us know if you're coming' response...

ime even in specialties you sometimes must remind server you are GF and have pre-ordered (sometimes they already have the paperwork, sometimes it is news to them). In some cases (relatively rare by me, but I try to select things that don't need much adjustment) they may say "the chef says that the [item you selected] cannot be made gluten free, would you like to select something else".

I haven't yet tried the smoothies or milkshakes - they use malt powder for some preparations and typically rinse (not wash) the mixers between customers. Maybe someone else has direct experience? If smoothies or milkshakes are important for you, ask someone if they can accommodate GF (I haven't asked).

Had no problems with gluten free on Oceania. If you're looking for some general tips on cruising GF, check out the my free guide posted at cruisespecialdiet.com.

Note that Oceania is open-seating only, which isn't ideal for people with special dietary needs, but it's still workable.