Disney Magic Questions

tarheelindc

Hello! We are sailing on the Disney Magic in late November, and I had a few questions:

1. What is the internet situation on board? Is there Free WiFi anywhere, or is it paid everywhere on the ship/at the ports? What is the phone connectivity by network? Are you able to call the U.S.?

2. I am looking to do Magens Beach in St. Thomas, but it seems like a lot to spend $150-$200 to get there and back through Disney/Viator... are there cabs that can take us for a lot less than that, that are readily available? Are there other beaches with umbrellas to rent, that you would suggest other than this beach, as it seems there are no umbrellas here?

3. In Tortola, or in St. Thomas... are there reliable vendors that trips can be booked through, other than Viator, that are cheaper than booking through Disney, or Viator? We would like to see the Tortola Baths at Virgin Gorda.

4. Are we allowed to bring 2 bottles of wine per over 21 guest at the ports too, as well as bringing them on initially? Are there places close by, at the Tortola stop or the St. Thomas stop, to purchase this?

Thanks in advance!!

Welcome to CC tarheelindc!

1. The internet on DCL is not included unfortunately. They do have a free 50Mb offer if you sign up by midnight on the first day of the cruise however.

Many port stops will have coffee shops/Mc Donalds etc offering free wifi with a purchase.

The ship provides a cellphone network from CellularAtSea. It is expensive. Speak to your contract provider to see if they have any packages that would reduce this price.

2. Cab are readily available at St Thomas to take you to any beach you wish for a lot less.

Here is the ports of call board on CC for island specific information: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=587

3. I would head over to the Tortola board on CC to ask for advice for vendors:http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=290

4. Yes. Two 750ml bottles of wine or champagne OR 6 12oz beers per person at embarkation and again at any port stops. St Thomas has a mall right at the dock to purchase wine/champagne/beers.

Also check out the Tips and Tricks thread sticky here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2352238

for a lot of useful information, policies, rules etc.

ex techie

Because the ship is at sea (more than 12 miles from shore) you won't get Cell coverage for your phone, you have to wait until you get into port to use the phone, and that is if you have a international calling plan to do so. Same with WiFi access, the cost of the shipboard internet is horribly high, that plus it's pretty slow, you can't stream or do video conferencing with it, even if you could afford it. One alternative for in port WiFi (again this is where you have a cellular signal) is a company called SkyRoam, http://www.skyroam.com/index.php they offer hotspot devices that gives you unlimited WiFi (if you rent a device) where ever you go, it works in many countries and had no added costs. This is one alternative if you just have to have internet access. But again remember this for in port times, at sea you have to pay DCL for access for Internet or Phone, but the costs are really prohibitive.

Because the ship is at sea (more than 12 miles from shore) you won't get Cell coverage for your phone, you have to wait until you get into port to use the phone, and that is if you have a international calling plan to do so. Same with WiFi access, the cost of the shipboard internet is horribly high, that plus it's pretty slow, you can't stream or do video conferencing with it, even if you could afford it. One alternative for in port WiFi (again this is where you have a cellular signal) is a company called SkyRoam, http://www.skyroam.com/index.php they offer hotspot devices that gives you unlimited WiFi (if you rent a device) where ever you go, it works in many countries and had no added costs. This is one alternative if you just have to have internet access. But again remember this for in port times, at sea you have to pay DCL for access for Internet or Phone, but the costs are really prohibitive.

Bartman,

You do not have to wait until you are in port to use a cell phone. As I posted, CellularAtSea service is available, but in addition to your service providers charges. https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/guest-services/internet-phone-services/

Also many people have posted that they have been able to use FaceTime or Skype, but that depends on the time of day and how many people are accessing the ships satellite based internet.

ex techie

I just looked into the skyroam rental, and for 10 days rental (delivered 2 days before the cruise, 7 nights, then returned the next day) it is $99. Even purchasing it at $99 with 3 day passes is more than DCL charge for a gig of data. And can only be used on port days, so best case with 2/3 port stops, plus Castaway Cay (does it work there?) it is very expensive unless you only want to use it then, or need to download very large files on those days only.

DCL offer 1000Mb for $89, which is more than enough for most families to check emails, update everyone on FB, upload some photo's, do their online check in.

Here is a list of the packages available as some of the lower usage packages may be more appropriate depending on your needs:

http://disneycruiselineblog.com/2014/01/disney-cruise-line-internet-packages-changing-to-data-packages/

And I have successfully FaceTime'd a CM on the Dream and had a 20 minute conversation with excellent video and audio quality. As I said before, it can depend on the time.

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie

Since you are visiting St. Thomas (USVI)...our cell phone plan worked fine there. It is a US territory, so we had full coverage. Check with your provider, obviously.

TO give you an idea of how much on board data you might use, I bought a 1 gig package for my 20something on a 14 night cruise. She was on line a lot and used about half of it in 14 nights. Admittedly, she wasn't downloading stuff. The best thing to do is to get the 50mb free. THat will allow you to be sure any date eating apps are off and get an idea of your use. You can then decide what, if anything, you wish to purchase.

There are plenty of good beaches on St. Thomas. Magen's is the most famous, but not the only good place by a long shot.

The baths at Virgin Gorda are great. I did it thru DCL though. Don't know of another way.

Edited by moki'smommy