Just back Millenium 2 week Aisa Imersion Tour

ronbetty2001

Thank you for the fabulous thread. We are on the Millennium next month traveling from Shanghai to Hong Kong, plan to spend additional time in Hong Kong, and fly on to Siem Reap. You have answered many questions, which are helpful for fine tuning.

One I did not see has to do with visas in Vietnam. I have seen dated information suggesting Celebrity makes visas available for a small fee. What was your experience spending a night off the ship? Did the ship make visas available? Do you need to provide passport sized photographs? Any information you can provide would be appreciated.

Thanks again.

Dianne

Capt. Ron,

Please ignore this request. I just found your other thread, where you answer the visa question and talk about extra passport photos.

Thanks again.

Dianne

Capt Ron,

Not sure if it is in all the posts.

What ports are tender ports?

As well when you took excursion into HCMC, when did you leave and where did they drop you?

Thank you for all your help.

J

Tender ports are: Ha Long Bay, that's it, all the other ports, Hong Kong, Bangkok, Hanoi, Saigon, Singapore are docking ports. Although the cities are quite a ways from the ports except for Hong Kong and Singapore, where you dock right in the ports.

Hope that helps,

Happy Planning,

Capt. Ron

Does Celebrity provide a shuttle from the cruise terminal to a more central area in the city? Was it easy to get to public transportation from the cruise terminal? Was it far? Are taxis readily available (disembarkation)?

Not sure if I ever answered this question for you, here goes.

The ship did provide a free shuttle to two malls. We used the one that took us to the Diamond Hill Mall as it had an easy access to the MTR (subway train). There were taxis, but didn't use them. There was also a public bus, again didn't use. Check the Kai Tak Cruise Terminal wed site for more information:

http://www.kaitakcruiseterminal.com.hk/

The terminal is the biggest we have been in and involves some walking just to get out of to the taxis and, shuttles and buses. If you are using a smart phone, suggest you load Google Maps, just tell it where you want to go and it'll tell you the nearest bus stations, number of stops etc. also for the trains. Very handy and easy to use. It will also show how to walk to places. There is a tourist help station at the cruise terminal, these people are great, they'll provide maps and show you how to use the public transport. Can't say enough about how much help they were in making the public transport easy, efficient and saved money over taxis. Taxis are not too expensive, but the public transport is just so cheap and efficient. I had originally planned on using taxis, after using the public transport we never found the need for taxis.

Happy Planning,

Capt. Ron

Apologies if already answered but what times were the shows in the theatre?

There are 2 shows each night. One after early dinner seating and one after later dinner seating. So, if you have early dinning or the later seating you'll have time to catch a show. Shows are at 7:00pm and 9:00pm. Celebrity Theater is on decks 4 & 5 forward.

Happy Planning,

Capt. Ron

The ship did provide a free shuttle to two malls.We used the one that took us to the Diamond Hill Mall as it had an easy access to the MTR (subway train). There were taxis, but didn't use them. There was also a public bus, again didn't use. Check the Kai Tak Cruise Terminal wed site for more information:

The terminal is the biggest we have been in and involves some walking just to get out of to the taxis and, shuttles and buses. If you are using a smart phone, suggest you load Google Maps, just tell it where you want to go and it'll tell you the nearest bus stations, number of stops etc. also for the trains. Very handy and easy to use. It will also show how to walk to places. There is a tourist help station at the cruise terminal, these people are great, they'll provide maps and show you how to use the public transport. Can't say enough about how much help they were in making the public transport easy, efficient and saved money over taxis. Taxis are not too expensive, but the public transport is just so cheap and efficient. I had originally planned on using taxis, after using the public transport we never found the need for taxis.

Happy Planning,

Capt. Ron

The shuttles are not provided by Celebrity but either the terminal operators or mall owners.

Other than that the advice given is spot on. Just a pity many other ports of call are not as organised as HK.

Does Celebrity provide a shuttle from the cruise terminal to a more central area in the city? Was it easy to get to public transportation from the cruise terminal? Was it far? Are taxis readily available (disembarkation)?

In addition to the free shuttles to the mall and the MTR, if you are planning on doing the Hop On Hop Off Bus, they too are at the terminal selling passes and providing a shuttle service to their starting point.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes, the Dragon Pearl, 10 cabins on board. Seemed like plenty of room for the 8 couples that we had with us. There are 3 decks for sunning and lounging. Big cabins, I would say 10 couples would not have a problem for an over night trip.

Capt. Ron

? How long was the overnight, when did they pick you up from ship till they dropped you off and how much did it cost for 10 couples?

? How long was the overnight, when did they pick you up from ship till they dropped you off and how much did it cost for 10 couples?

We were picked up from the tender location at 11:00am. We returned the next day at 11:00am. Basically the trip is 24 hours. We were back at the tender location by 12:00, the Millennium departed at 1:00pm. Cost for our 8 couples, including transport to and from the Junk was $2,502.00USD. Worked out at $357.00 per couple.

Happy Planning,

Capt. Ron

Started cruise in Hong Kong, then Vietnam (Hanoi, Da Nang, Saigon) then Bangkok ending in Singapore, 2 weeks. Willing to answer questions now that we've returned today. Ask away if you have any questions while it's still fresh is my mind. Also spent 5 nights in Seam Reap touring the area and Angkor Wat temples.

Capt. Ron

Hi Capt Ron we are doing this cruise in Feb 2017. Party of 6 all mid 50's to early 60's. I am trying to put together a plan of where to go and what to see but following searches there seems be that many sites to get a real idea of where and what to see. I would like to post here if any members could help me put together a simple plan for each port. I would appreciate any help including any private guides to book through.

I have seen your reply Ron and I am going through that too, trying to go through that to gain some thoughts. Its the first time to Asia so its a bit of a learning curve. Thanks in advance for any help with my quest.

We were picked up from the tender location at 11:00am. We returned the next day at 11:00am. Basically the trip is 24 hours. We were back at the tender location by 12:00, the Millennium departed at 1:00pm. Cost for our 8 couples, including transport to and from the Junk was $2,502.00USD. Worked out at $357.00 per couple.

Happy Planning,

Capt. Ron

Thanks, Captain Ron

So is there Room for 10 Couples on the same ship? Do you need to pay upfront?

The ship did provide a free shuttle to two malls. We used the one that took us to the Diamond Hill Mall as it had an easy access to the MTR (subway train). There were taxis, but didn't use them. There was also a public bus, again didn't use. Check the Kai Tak Cruise Terminal wed site for more information:

Happy Planning,

Capt. Ron

Thank you for the information. I could not find a "Diamond Hill Mall" on the maps, but there is a mall in the Diamond Hill area, near the Diamond Hill MTR station about 15 minutes from the cruise terminal. Is that the one the shuttle goes to? Do you recall if that mall was the one near the Chi Lin Nunnery? That's my destination and it looks like walking distance from that particular mall. Thanks again.

Thank you for the information. I could not find a "Diamond Hill Mall" on the maps, but there is a mall in the Diamond Hill area, near the Diamond Hill MTR station about 15 minutes from the cruise terminal. Is that the one the shuttle goes to? Do you recall if that mall was the one near the Chi Lin Nunnery? That's my destination and it looks like walking distance from that particular mall. Thanks again.

The Diamond Hill MTR station is connected to the Plaza Hollywood shopping mall. From the mall's website, it looks like your Chi Lin Nunnery is close by.

http://www.discoverhongkong.com/us/shop/where-to-shop/malls-and-department-stores/plaza-hollywood.jsp

Sofitel Ankor Wat was wonderful.

NOt sure of the cost as we were on a River Cruise and this was a land portion.

Hotel is lovely with extraordinary service.

Pool area large and comfortable so it was perfect after a LONG HOT day touring.

Good food and breakfast buffet was great.

My husband played gold and it was a fantastic experience too!!

Hi

Happy New Year and thank you for your offer to make recommendations.

Can you recommend any tour for Vietnam and we are also going to Manila,Tawain and Nagasaki. Not sure if you did these ports.

Any recommendation for private tours would very appreciated.

Thanks again

Hi Capt Ron we are doing this cruise in Feb 2017. Party of 6 all mid 50's to early 60's. I am trying to put together a plan of where to go and what to see but following searches there seems be that many sites to get a real idea of where and what to see. I would like to post here if any members could help me put together a simple plan for each port. I would appreciate any help including any private guides to book through.

I have seen your reply Ron and I am going through that too, trying to go through that to gain some thoughts. Its the first time to Asia so its a bit of a learning curve. Thanks in advance for any help with my quest.

Send me your e-mail and I'll share our itinerary with you. It has all web sites, costs, pickup time etc. I think you'll find it very useful.

Happy Planning,

Capt Ron

Hi

Happy New Year and thank you for your offer to make recommendations.

Can you recommend any tour for Vietnam and we are also going to Manila,Tawain and Nagasaki. Not sure if you did these ports.

Any recommendation for private tours would very appreciated.

Thanks again

Send me what cities you will visit in Vietnam and I 'll send you the information on the food tours we did there. We did not visit Manila, Tawain and Nagasaki I'm afraid. We did land in Tawain on the way there and back, but, spent no time there.

Capt. Ron

Cptn Ron,

Happy New Year!

Did you have to pay a port fee when getting off tender at Hanoi port?

Tour operator warned me that they my charge a fee.

J

No, any bribe was paid by the tour operator, which we ended up paying but not directly in the other cities we visited in Vietman. When we landed on the tender there was a time that the operator had to work things out in Ha Long Bay, which didn't cost us any more, I feel bad as this import tax/bribe seems to be applied not on a regular basis. Welcome to Communism in Vietnam.

Capt. Ron

No, any bribe was paid by the tour operator, which we ended up paying but not directly in the other cities we visited in Vietman. When we landed on the tender there was a time that the operator had to work things out in Ha Long Bay, which didn't cost us any more, I feel bad as this import tax/bribe seems to be applied not on a regular basis. Welcome to Communism in Vietnam.

Capt. Ron

Capt. Ron

Had the tour operator met you inside the port or outside the gate.

We were hoping to avoid bribe by walking out of the gate and picking up tour shuttle on other side. Do you think this might be an option from the set up of the port?

J

Edited by OntarioCruiser38

Last month we arrived in Bai Chay Tourist Wharf by tender for our pre booked Indochina Junk Cruuse there were 10 of us on the trip. We were informed to walk up to the Wyndham Hotel where a our mini bus would be waiting to avoid paying this tax (he did not have a sign or board on display), we all boarded the vehicle and then waited and waited, after 20 mins our driver kept coming and going from the vehicle and then returned with our tour operator on his phone wishing to speak to me along with a 'port agent' . They would not allow us to leave until we had paid 15USDpp. At this time we hadn't picked up our English Speaking tour guide and the driver did not speak much English so we paid up. It delayed our tour itinerary for the day. Further along the road the same thing was happening to other small group tours. I would use Indochina Junk again though, the day cruise was very good despite this.

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Forums mobile app