Viking China

2tsquared

Sounds like a winner to me. Remember we don't get in until 9:40pm if we are on time. So it will probably be close to 11:00pm when we get to the hotel. Pardon me while I brag a little. Verna and I are going down to Key West tomorrow to see our new Grandson

Hi Dale

Congratulations on the grandson - you can brag all you like!:D I am just envious about the thought of sun and Key West. We have been to our daughter's in Yorkshire for a few days and it was cold. Arrived home this lunchtime and have now got the heating on!:mad:

Brenda

Will this new liquid rule apply to this flight as well? We are flying from Vancouver to Hong Kong, making a connection in Hong Kong to fly on to Beijing on the same day. I guess what I am really asking is, should I pack my makeup bag in my checked luggage all the way from Vancouver?

Will this new liquid rule apply to this flight as well? We are flying from Vancouver to Hong Kong, making a connection in Hong Kong to fly on to Beijing on the same day. I guess what I am really asking is, should I pack my makeup bag in my checked luggage all the way from Vancouver?

Hi I don't know if this helps but this is the latest info on the BA site but nothing new since 2007. We still have the 100 mls in a sealed bag situation in the UK in line with EU rules. Could you check with the airline you are on from Hong Kong? I suppose it depends how much you like your make-up;) .

Hong Kong

Hand baggage restrictions on liquids/gels/creams in line with the EU and North American standards were introduced for all departing passengers with effect from 21 March 2007.

Brenda

You'll be fine with whatever your TSA rules are from where you are originating. We do not have to go through customs, security, etc in Hong Kong, just changing planes. It's the intra China flights and coming home from Shanghai that we're going to have to not have anything. I've decided to play it safe, just going to pack anything I think they would question, i.e., lipstick, chapstick, etc in my luggage and have the bare essentials in my carry on. Nothing worse than having to give up your foundation or favorite lipstick!

Thank you dpump and Brenda. Now all I have to do is wait for our visas and passports to come back and the tickets to arrive. I think I will pack most of the liquids just to be on the safe side and just keep a very small bottle with me. We are heading from Shanghai to Bangkok after the cruise so I wonder if the restrictions will apply there as well.

:confused: OK - reading the maximum linear dimensions of all bags on United International - and it is 62 inches/158cm (length+width+height) each. So will that be 4 X height+2 X length+2 X width? Or how would will I figure the max dimensions?

Thanks everyone.

:confused: OK - reading the maximum linear dimensions of all bags on United International - and it is 62 inches/158cm (length+width+height) each. So will that be 4 X height+2 X length+2 X width? Or how would will I figure the max dimensions?

Thanks everyone.

That's a real puzzle! I have absolutely no idea:confused: either.

Are you at the Ritz Carlton in Beijing?

Brenda

Thanks everyone.

The length, width and height of the bag can't excede 62 inches.

United Baggage Information

Most airlines have a limit of 62 linear inches, thats the total of the length + width + height. Anything over that is considered oversized and will be charged as excess baggage. It depends on the type of aircraft you are on as well. Any smaller regional jets have small aircraft doors and they are right under the engine, so size is enforced.

If you purchased a rolling suitcase, you shouldn't worry. Most suitcases, while some can be quite large, are sold for travel and know the specifics for size. You need to start worrying when it is a container or a box for large items.

The main importance also is the weight of each bag. Each airline has either a 50lb limit for Domestic travel and 70 lb for International travel. Some airlines have reduced their International weight limits to 50lb as well, so check your airlines website.

• 1 year ago

Source(s):

Former Airline Employee

Hope this helps. I found it when I googled your question.

:D OK - ours are 10+20+30 = 60. So we are OKAY. I tend to worry too much sometimes.

Brenda - we are at the Ritz Carlton - Beijing. Don't know how we can tell who is who but we will yell out "BRENDA!" LOL :)

Probably check around dinner time. We don't get in to Beijing until 3 PM.

Nita & Eric

:D OK - ours are 10+20+30 = 60. So we are OKAY. I tend to worry too much sometimes.

Brenda - we are at the Ritz Carlton - Beijing. Don't know how we can tell who is who but we will yell out "BRENDA!" LOL :)

Probably check around dinner time. We don't get in to Beijing until 3 PM.

Nita & Eric

:D Nita & Eric, I was planning to ask the bartender if Lord & Lady Meer were in attendance and accepting visitors. :D

:D That’s how we did it last September when we paid a visit to Philip & Elizabeth when we were in London. :D

Hi Nita and Eric

You will spot me easily - I am the one who is very pale (no tan) drinking a pina colada. I have checked out the Ritz on trip advisor and it seems the hotel is attached to a shopping mall (not that I will be interested in that);). There are also some places to eat nearby. We will be in the Crystal Bar around 6 to 6.30, if you are around please join us.

Dale - nothing so grand as being a Lady - it's the name of the road our daughter lives on!! I hope Elizabeth and Philip made you welcome, they did when we went to Buck House :D.

Brenda

A favour Brenda and Dale. Will you please post how you found the tour when you return? I still have to wait until July 4th to leave on my tour.

Comments re: change in tour due to earthquake, shopping(ug)( I do have to bring something back for the younger generation), best memory, etc.

Thanks.

A favour Brenda and Dale. Will you please post how you found the tour when you return? I still have to wait until July 4th to leave on my tour.

Comments re: change in tour due to earthquake, shopping(ug)( I do have to bring something back for the younger generation), best memory, etc.

Thanks.

Will do - make some posts while we are there - depending on web access.

Brenda

Thanks.

Meant to say - may do some posts while we are there. Can't even type properly now - it must be the excitement getting to me.;)

Brenda

Only 16 days and counting. We did not book our airfare or transfers through Viking. We wanted to arrive a couple of days early and Viking was not very flexible. Anyway, has anyone taken the high speed train from Pudong Airport into the city? If you have, would you recommend it? We just want to take it for the adventure. We figure we would get a cab at the train station to get to our hotel. We are staying at the St. Regis. Does anyone know if it is close enough to walk (with luggage) We are very fit and traveling with our teenage son. Any information anyone has would be great.

Thanks

Thank you Brenda. We have 6 weeks today before we leave. My husband is keeping track of how many days. Actually at this time in 6 weeks we will already be on the plane, with the time changes I may be at the Hong Kong airport waiting to change planes to fly to Beijing.

Actually at this time in 6 weeks we will already be on the plane, with the time changes I may be at the Hong Kong airport waiting to change planes to fly to Beijing.

Are there no direct flights between Vancouver and Beijing? What is your time difference? Beijing is 7 hours ahead of us, so when we arrive at 6 am (local time) it will be our bed time:( . I don't expect our room to be ready that early but live in hope......

Brenda

We have 15 hours between us and Beijing. There is a direct flight from Vancouver to Beijing, but that airline could not accommodate the rest of the trip. Besides that it was Air Canada. Need I say anything more.:D We leave at 2:55 am our time and arrive at 1:25 pm, next day, Beijing time. We are flying Cathay Pacific.

What has everyone been getting for shipboard credits w/Viking? There is a past cruiser of $50 and an AARP credit of $50. A friend and I are going -seperate entities and are only getting a total of $100 credit instead of being treated as a seperate booking. Pretty cheesy of Viking if you ask me, considering the fact that this is the 2nd cruise in 12 months we've gone on w/them.

What has everyone been getting for shipboard credits w/Viking? There is a past cruiser of $50 and an AARP credit of $50. A friend and I are going -seperate entities and are only getting a total of $100 credit instead of being treated as a seperate booking. Pretty cheesy of Viking if you ask me, considering the fact that this is the 2nd cruise in 12 months we've gone on w/them.

We get nothing:mad:

Brenda

Leaving for Shanghai May 29 -- Shanghai to Beijing.

Does anyone know when we are supposed to put the paper red luggage tags on our suitcases? I assume they are for the guide to identify bags for hotel transport from Shanghai airport.

Jerry

Leaving for Shanghai May 29 -- Shanghai to Beijing.

Does anyone know when we are supposed to put the paper red luggage tags on our suitcases? I assume they are for the guide to identify bags for hotel transport from Shanghai airport.

Jerry

Hi Jerry:

I believe we must be on the the same tour from Shanghai to Beijing. We fly from JFK to San Francisco on United and plan to put the paper luggage tags on once we land in Shanghai and have collected our bags. Are you on the flight from SFO leaving at 1:21 PM (Flight #857)?

Regards,

Arlene

Jerry,

The luggage tags are not needed until you arrive in China. Have a wonderful trip. :)

Thanks, George & Peggy.

We will be going to Beijing on the 29th. I had already planned to attach the tags when we arrive in Beijing.

Today has been a day to tie up loose ends. Stop mail, paper, update packing list, arrange pickup with SuperShuttle to the airport, notify bank and credit card companies, etc.

Archived