Viking China

2tsquared

You only see the Chairman Mao Mausoleum from the outside at Tiananmen Square. There is a line of about 2 hours to get in.

Didn't really have any surprises. If you pay anything with U.S. dollars, make sure they are brand new. They will not take crumbled bills, torn bills or bills with any ink marks or anything on them. I paid cash for the onboard account and they scrutinized the money very carefully. They noticed a couple of ink marks from a pen that I didn't notice. I had to give them all new bills.

I didn't buy from street vendors. But, if you do like to buy from street vendors, use chinese money and use small bills. You don't want change - it is usually counterfit. They are good with slight of hand. You will hand them a 100 yuan and they will hand it back and say it is not good. The thing is, they took your good bill and handed you back a counterfit bill. You then hand them another good 100 yuan. A couple of ladies in our group got counterfit bills. Our guide looked at them and he could tell and pointed out the differences. He also chased off some vendors that he knew used counterfit money. Listen to your guides, they look out for you.

Has anyone been to Tibet w/Viking since they were having problems there? I know one tour was totally cancelled, as reported here earlier. Viking denied canceling anything when my TA asked them about it. Our Roof of the World tour isn't until Oct, so hopefully everything will be back to normal by then. I'm just wondering what is happening now. Thanks for any info!

Kelley

Shipgirl

Thank you for all of the information. It sounds like it was a fairly small camera that was taken then. My husband's is not all that small and he will have it around his neck at all times. I will keep mine in my purse. I bought one of those travel purses with steel wire straps and nobody managed to rummage through it while we were in Russia. I call it the black hole at times.

You stayed at different hotels than we will be. I am just a little worried about leaving China on the plane. Did the rules about liquids apply for the international trip back home or elsewhere as well? We are flying from Shanghai to Bangkok.

I am starting to get excited. It is four weeks today till we leave. I know it will be hot but it can't be any hotter or humid than Florida was in the summer. At least that is what I am going to convince myself and I coped very well in Florida with the heat and humidity.

You have convinced me that I will buy only small things while in Beijing. I am not a big shopaholic so it will be easy for me to not buy much. I have already been told by our son that he does not want any more T-shirts. Now all I have to do is figure out what to bring him home. Tough one when they are just 20. Any suggestions anyone? The daughter is easy. All we have to do is bring her home a piece of jewelry and she will be happy.

Hello, We are going on the Imperial Jewels of China trip in May of 2009. Wondering whether it is best to fly to Beijing for the first day of the trip or to come in the day before. Plan to fly Continental, non-stop from Newark. Jet lag is not an issue. What was your experience for same day arrival? Given today's travel issues, how big is the risk? I have searched the boards but received a "fatal error". Thank you.

Plan to arrive at least 1 day early. After a very long hard flight you will enjoy being rest and ready to go for the non-stop tour you are beginning. who wants to spend at day tour when you are bone tried from the long flight.

I had friend I talked into flying in 1 day early for their Ireland tour. They from traveling from the east coast. They thanked me for telling them to arrive 1 day early. They said they were rested and ready for the tour. They told me the people arriving on the day the tour began were very tried and only wanted to arrive at the hotel for the first 2 days for the tour.

Also Who knows what happens to delay you by 12 hours reaching your destination. Do you really want to arrive at your Beijing hotel to find the tour have left for the day?

Gifts for men: Silk ties or Mao Watch. I found the watches to be a real hit. Not everyone has a waving Mao watch.

Have a great time and enjoy just watching the streets and people as you ride by on your bus.

The Chinese people are very friendly.

Emily

Thank you Emily, I never thought of a tie or a watch.

I would advise arriving a day early as well. We usually arrive a day early before we start touring with the exception of this time. We are suppose to arrive early in the afternoon and do not start touring until the next day, so we should be okay.

Hello, We are going on the Imperial Jewels of China trip in May of 2009. Wondering whether it is best to fly to Beijing for the first day of the trip or to come in the day before. Plan to fly Continental, non-stop from Newark. Jet lag is not an issue. What was your experience for same day arrival? Given today's travel issues, how big is the risk? I have searched the boards but received a "fatal error". Thank you.

We flew from Newark to Beijing in April 2008, on the Continental Non-Stop, for the Imperial Jewels of China tour. We did fly in a day ahead of the tour...and very glad we did. Viking booked the hotel for us for $200. which included breakfast.

Jet lag (12 hour change) will be an issue. I don't know what you mean by "risk"? Beijing is very safe. Taxis are available and you can have the front desk at the hotel write out your destination for the driver. Also, most signs are in Chinese & English.

We booked a car service (there were 6 of us) on the extra day from the hotel for a 4 hour tour (in a Mercedes) on our own...it was great....it cost us $33. each ($200. total)....and we saw things that were not on the Viking tour....it was very enjoyable.

If we had to do it over we would probably go 2 to 3 days earlier...there's a lot to see in Beijing. Also, we would have liked to stay longer in Shanghai as well, but we booked the Hong Kong extension.

I think the risk will be high you will be delayed during your travel. If there is a mechanical problem with the plane, there usually is not another plane that can be subsititued. Also weather at your airport or at another airport may delay your departure and/or arrival.

My nephew just spend 6 hours in an airport waiting to board his flight. He choose to get rebooked on a later flight. The airline was boarding the plane with a roll back from the gate at the scheduled time. They were told they would sit on the tarmac at least 2 hour because they could not land at their destination.

If someone of the crew gets sick, your flight can be delayed until another crew member that is qualified to fly can be added to the crew. Crews are flying at minimum manning; lose 1 crew member and the flight is grounded until a substitue crew member can join the flight.

My rule. One day ahead of travel is the cost of travel. Who wants to arrive in Bejing late and learn your tour has already left for the Forbidden City or the Great Wall.

Emily

Please talk to Viking and/or your booking agent. I am sure Viking will try to book you until the same hotel. There may be times when Viking may not be able to get the early arrival confirmated, especially if it is a late request.

It as Great Trip. People do not really understand that changes in fuel prices, food prices and other things until you experience a county like China.

Emily

Is anyone aware of a security problem with carrying individually-wrapped wipes containing hand purifier? It sounds like the little bottle of liquid would not make it through security?

I had wondered about Bare Escentuals powdered makeup but Shipgirl says that was cleared after questioning.

Can anyone suggest anything else we might not have thought of that won't make it through security?:confused:

Is anyone aware of a security problem with carrying individually-wrapped wipes containing hand purifier? It sounds like the little bottle of liquid would not make it through security?

I had wondered about Bare Escentuals powdered makeup but Shipgirl says that was cleared after questioning.

Can anyone suggest anything else we might not have thought of that won't make it through security?:confused:

Lucky Granny:

We did the Imperial Jewels of China tour (with the Hong Kong extension) April 13 - 28, 2008.

The airport security inspection does not allow any liquids on intra China flights. Also, they took my individually wrapped (2 of them) hand wipes, that were in my back pocket, away from me saying that it was a non-allowed item. Other people may have gotten away with carrying them through security, but if they find them they will take them away from you.

Plan2Travel:

Yes, we were booked at the same hotel as the tour (Westin, Beijing, Financial Street). Again, I highly recommend that you fly in at least one day earlier. If the "extra expense" is worrying you, remember that you're paying a lot for this trip (I know we did).....to waste even a day because of extreme jet lag for a room cost of $200. is really not wise. Your first day of the tour is really packed in with things.

Hope this helps.

Any other questions....just ask.

Thanks for the handwipe information. It sounds like their security is a little like ours - it depends on "who you get". - or maybe I should say who gets you. We will probably try to get through with a few wipes we are prepared to lose.

Plan2travel, we have already booked our flight over through Viking because of the great deal they gave us. Our whole trip cost only a little more than the present cost of just the flight. We would love to have the extra days but it's too late now. We arrive early in the afternoon on the day before the tour starts so we will just have to do the best we can. We are somewhat used to over-extending ourselves.

Did anyone ever lose their baggage on a domestic flight in China (I mean anyone traveling with Viking)? It sounds like the thing to do might be to empty the carryon except for your purse or tote or whatever you are carrying everywhere. Is medication allowed - I mean pills, not liquid?

Has anyone been to Tibet w/Viking since they were having problems there? I know one tour was totally cancelled, as reported here earlier. Viking denied canceling anything when my TA asked them about it. Our Roof of the World tour isn't until Oct, so hopefully everything will be back to normal by then. I'm just wondering what is happening now. Thanks for any info!

Kelley

Koda,

We are also on Viking Roof of the World in Oct. 2008, the tour starting on Oct. 16th. What date are you traveling?

Elizabeth

Koda,

We are also on Viking Roof of the World in Oct. 2008, the tour starting on Oct. 16th. What date are you traveling?

Elizabeth

We start on Oct 6, so the tour before yours. Sure wish someone who has gone on this tour recently would post. China has a lot going on this year w/the problems in Tibet, the Olympics, then the horrible earthquake! Not sure this is a good year to go.

Kelley

Does this tour not go to Tibet? Someone just came back from it after the earthquake. They posted on a previous page.

I read that, thanks! I think the only tour that goes to Tibet is called Roof of the World. It does sound like not much has been affected by the earthquake as far as Viking is concerned. Such a disaster!

Kelley

Does this tour not go to Tibet? Someone just came back from it after the earthquake. They posted on a previous page.

The Silk Road Adventure includes: Shanghai, Wuhan, Chonqing, Xi'an, Urumqi, Turpan, Kashgar and Beijing.

Archived