Viking China

2tsquared

:) :)

I have started to edit a few pictures. These two made me think of you, Brenda.

If a mosquito bit you, what bit this guy?

2837897920101254243S600x600Q85.jpg

Or, could this be the critter that bit you?

2027222820101254243S600x600Q85.jpg

Did anyone fly China Eastern while on their tour?

If your flight leaves at 2:35 pm from Shanghai, what time do they usually take you from the hotel to the airport?

I just got my ticket package today, hence the questions.

I’m not exactly sure what airlines we flew while in China. I do know on both we had an adventure. On the flight from Beijing to Xian we boarded on time but then sat in the plane at the gate for a couple of hours. We were told it had to do with air traffic control. On the flight from Xian to Chongqing all went well until we got to Chongqing. We were making our approach for landing, as we were about to land the pilot gave the plane full throttle and we went back up into the air to circle to make a second attempt to land. I never heard an “official” reason for this. Rumor has it the flyby was to check if the planes wheels were locked down in a landing position. Fortunately these were short flights, 1 to 1 ½ hours, but I guess this makes no difference if anything had happened.

I don’t know what time you will leave Shanghai for the airport, but this may help some, we had a 10 am flight and left the hotel at 6:15 am.

2775882230101254243S425x425Q85.jpg

After the "official" guided tour of the museum there is free time to look round. If anyone is interested there is an excellent display of Chinese costumes which is in the building where you have the show. We noticed it when we went to the show so doubled-back to look at it. It was a display of regional costumes from all over China.

Also forgot to say regarding shopping - the Ritz-Carlton Hotel in Beijing had a nice little gift shop (a bit expensive though) which was not easy to find but is definitely worth a look:D.

Did anyone fly China Eastern while on their tour?

If they offer you a 'Chinese hamburger', do not take it, trust me.....if they offer you on your other flight (these are the intra-China) these little packets and you open, wonder why they smell and look so bad, they're yak!!!!! The 'hamburger' meat was also yak. YUCK.

Is anyone from our trip still thinking 'happy house'? Wondering if the toilets are Eastern or Western? Trying to remember to bring enough tp when you leave home...............

I am still thinking "brush teeth with a bottle of water".

Thanks EJRIVER for the response. One other question to you and others. I was reading my China guidebook and it indicated that no photography was allowed of the Terracotta Warriors. Can this possibly be true?

Duly noted: We will not eat Chinese hamburger

Duly noted: We will appreciate our western style toilets even more when we return home.

Duly noted: Not all Chinese teas taste the same

Duly noted: We will remember to use bottled water to brush our teeth.

Duly noted: We will have a good time.;):D

Like travels fun says, no problem with taking pictures. Only restriction was, no flash allowed. This makes it a little tough as almost everything is still in pits that are covered by barn type buildings. Here’s a couple of my pictures.

2876114620101254243S425x425Q85.jpg

2175686440101254243S425x425Q85.jpg

Thanks EJRIVER for the response. One other question to you and others. I was reading my China guidebook and it indicated that no photography was allowed of the Terracotta Warriors. Can this possibly be true?

The only restriction I can recall... we were advised about had to do with the farmer who found the pits (accidently). He's often at the site to autograph books for tourists, he however, does NOT want his photo taken.

Even, if permitted, for most pictures the average built-in flash would not reach the distance needed to illuminate and capture the image properly.

I'd suggest rather, that you bring a pocket tripod, or steady yourself on a railing or shoulder of friend. Of course, using any telephoto setting, requires a steady hand especially with available light as in the pits.

Most of my pictures came out beautifully using the above routines.

What an impressive sight...

Jerry

I found that using Picasa 2 (free from Google) to edit haze from my China photos ... by pressing the "I'm feeling lucky" button, performed miracles!

Thank goodness for that software!

Jerry -

Thanks for the hint! The "I'm feeling lucky" button did the job. Brightened up the pictures and took out the smoggy haze and sharpened the images.

Nita

I found that using Picasa 2 (free from Google) to edit haze from my China photos ... by pressing the "I'm feeling lucky" button, performed miracles!

Thank goodness for that software!

Jerry -

Thanks for the hint! The "I'm feeling lucky" button did the job. Brightened up the pictures and took out the smoggy haze and sharpened the images.

Nita

Nita,

I did keep a few of the originals (with haze) should someone care to see what the scenes truly looked like.

How come my photos are so small when I attach them to a message? Is it the resolution on my camera or am I doing something wrong when I attach it?

Thanks & regards,

Arlene

Arlene,

It’s not the resolution on your camera and you aren’t doing anything wrong. You are using cruise critic’s, manage attachments, to post your pictures. This is what limits your picture size. There are several sites that can be used to post larger pictures. I use webshots.com.

I hope this helps.

Arlene,

It’s not the resolution on your camera and you aren’t doing anything wrong. You are using cruise critic’s, manage attachments, to post your pictures. This is what limits your picture size. There are several sites that can be used to post larger pictures. I use webshots.com.

I hope this helps.

Hi Dale:

Thank you. Please tell me how to attach a photo from Webshots into a message on Cruise Critic.

Thanks & regards,

Arlene

Hi Dale:

Thank you. Please tell me how to attach a photo from Webshots into a message on Cruise Critic.

Thanks & regards,

Arlene

Arlene,

I knew you were going to ask. This may seem complicated but it’s not to bad.

Go back to your picture on Webshots, look on the right side and you will see, link to this picture. Below that are pixel sizes, 100, 200, 425, 500, 600. This determines picture size. Select the size you want then you can preview it. Next go to, direct link to image. Copy what is in the box below. Now go back to Cruise Critic to your reply, look for the icon on top of the reply box that looks like an envelope with a mountain on it, it says, insert image, click it. You will probably have to ok scripted windows, do this, then re-click the icon and paste what you copied from Webshots in the box. That information will show up in your reply. I would suggest you hit, preview post, to see what your picture looks like before you submit your reply.

Here’s what your picture looks like at 425 pixels.

2150374050103671383S425x425Q85.jpg

Dale and Arlene

Thank you for sharing your pictures.

My husband is now the one counting the days down till we leave. He is really looking forward to the trip.

I have just read an article in the paper that all of the airlines are cutting down on the number of flights going to Hong Kong, China and other eastern countries due to the lack of tourists filling the planes. The common theme seems to be is that with China sponsoring the Olympics, it is too expensive to go.

Archived