Viking China

2tsquared

Abe, I cannot say that I saw any fast food places near the St. Regis. There was a very busy street in front and we probably would not have ventured out. I was not the one in our party who chose the Chinese restaurant at the hotel, so I cannot say what our other choices there might have been.

There is an informal eating area on the ground floor where the breakfast buffet [wonderful - try the aloe yogurt and the oatmeal and the fruit/cereal/milk (I can't remember what they called it) mixture] Do try the peeled and cut-into-slices fruit they call aloe. My only guess that it is some sort of aloe vera plant. When I asked what it was and if it was just peeled and cut into slices or maybe cooked, I was told it was aloe and you eat it "directly." I took this to mean it is not cooked. But I am off the subject. There may be an informal place to eat supper that first night.

About packing - I brought a fitted bag full of OTC remedies for everything I could think of that might happen. Happily, I did not use any of it. Had we needed it, it would have been worth toting around its weight. My greatest packing problem was weight. I made it through everywhere by the skin of my teeth (no weighing on Chinese flights). But there was nothing I needed that I neglected to take. I had to buy a second bag in Beijing ($4 at the Silk Market) to get on my flight home under weight restriction. I chose to bring 5 outfits, each of which I washed once (or sent to laundry on the boat). My traveling friend brought three pairs of shorts and several shirts for each to take turns wearing. Her bag weighed less than mine. We each had a bottom piece (mine a skirt, hers capris) and a couple of tops to wear at night, if needed. I had two tops and one skirt - that made it through the few nights we actually changed for dinner. I came home with one pair of socks unworn - but I had sent some to the laundry on the boat.

We were able to wash clothes on the boat and dry them on the balcony. I detected that Viking does not care for the laundry-boat look as, upon our return from whereever we went, we would find that our steward had hung our drying items somewhere inside the cabin. Items that seem to dry quickly at home will take longer if washed by hand because they do not go through the wring cycle of the washing machine. You just can't squeeze them that dry. Happily, we only had one day of rain on our balcony laundry. You can be much more relaxed about this if you are able to wear your clothes multiple times without washing. I just can't.

Also, do not buy jade at the Terra Cotta Warriors strore - I picked up a bracelet and it had the weight of a paper clip. The metal fittings were very cheap (seconded by another of our group who sells jewelry). You might do ok if you buy a bangle with no metal. I thought the jade everywhere was very expensive. I should have researched this before my trip. Jade in New Zealand is much cheaper -they tell you that is because it is jadeite, not the expensive type. But in China they tell you jadeite is the expensive type. And the jade in Alaska (the state stone) is very inexpensive.

We did the Hong Kong precruise so got into Shanghai late - however after listening to people from our group who arrived in the afternoon and had free time I would have used that time to go exploring. There is virtually NO free time in Shanghai despite what the itinerary says - and you spend more time on a bus than seeing anything - we had 5 minutes on the bund, some time at the Yuan gardens and 2 hours at the Shanghai museum. Read up and use that afternoon to see more despite jet lag

Lucky Granny - Thank you for your advice. The aloe fruit sounds wonderful.

If you can think of any more suggestions - please post them.

Amandajess - Thanks for the suggestion to see what we can that first evening. We should try to take advantage of whatever time we have in Shanghai however short it may be.

Oh, Abe, I forgot the lychee fruit. The Westin in Beijing served it peeled and seeded in a bowl, just like they served the aloe. They also had whole ones in their stiff dark pink skin that peels off with your fingers in large pieces like orange skin. There is one large seed inside. I enjoyed eating it both ways. I was in Beijing and almost on the way home before I really paid attention to these fruits. But I think the lychee were served on the boat in some fashion, perhaps as part of a dessert. I first saw the aloe yogurt at the St. Regis in Shanghai but didn't notice the cut fruit if it was there. At the St. Regis we were enthralled by the Dragon Fruit, a melon with dark pink skin (also) that looks like it has big scales like a dragon, and white meat with black dots throughout that look like poppy seeds. It was good, too.

I will be interested to hear from you about the trees in Beijing. Almost every one had three sticks holding it up, as they were just recently planted for the Olympics. I am wondering how long after the Olympics their beautiful landscaping will be taken care of and how long the city will remain beautiful and clean.

Question for any recent Viking travelers:

Since intra-China airlines do not allow ANY liquids in carryons - did you have access to your luggage before it was checked in at the local airports? I always carry hand sanitizer, insect spray and several other liquids in my backpack. I'd like to have them available for any tours we might have before we head to the airport. I'm worried that once the luggage is collected in the morning at the hotel - I won't have access to it again until that night in the new hotel or onboard the ship.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Also, thank you Lucky Granny for the info on lychee fruit.

Question for any recent Viking travelers:

Since intra-China airlines do not allow ANY liquids in carryons - did you have access to your luggage before it was checked in at the local airports? I always carry hand sanitizer, insect spray and several other liquids in my backpack. I'd like to have them available for any tours we might have before we head to the airport. I'm worried that once the luggage is collected in the morning at the hotel - I won't have access to it again until that night in the new hotel or onboard the ship.

Also, thank you Lucky Granny for the info on lychee fruit.

Hi Abe

We were on Cultural Delights at the end of May. We didn't have access to our luggage before it was checked in on the internal flights. I did have hand wipe sachets in my carry on which were OK and not picked up at the baggage check. Could you put some hand sanitizer in a small bottle which would then be empty in your carry-on? More difficult with insect spray but the only places I got bitten were the pottery tour and the silk factory!:confused:

For those who might want to skip a factory, I would definitely not go to the ceramic / pottery factory. It was a VERY uncomfortable 2 hour journey each way to see pottery being made and, of course, the usual shop. A couple of people who didn't go on the tour actually went into the town (adjacent to the pier) with some of the crew and thoroughly enjoyed it! Oh to be wise after the event!!

Lady Meer: I was afraid I wouldn't have access to my luggage. Thank you for confirming that. I'll change to the insect repellent wipes and hand sanitizer wipes and make sure on the days we fly that any liquids I carry are packed that morning in the check-in luggage.

Thanks also for the advice on skipping the ceramic factory. I'm not sure if the Imperial Jewels tour goes there but if we do - I would much rather go into the local town instead.

I appreciate the suggestions.

Lady Meer: I was afraid I wouldn't have access to my luggage. Thank you for confirming that. I'll change to the insect repellent wipes and hand sanitizer wipes and make sure on the days we fly that any liquids I carry are packed that morning in the check-in luggage.

Thanks also for the advice on skipping the ceramic factory. I'm not sure if the Imperial Jewels tour goes there but if we do - I would much rather go into the local town instead.

I appreciate the suggestions.

Hi:

The Imperial Jewels tour does not go to the ceramic factory.

Regards,

Arlene

I tried to get through intra-China flights with individually wrapped sanitizing wipes. I just brought a few for the day, not my usual excessive supply. Twice I made it, once I did not. The agent carefully read the label (the packet made her detector beep) and said it had alcohol in it and was not allowed. Perhaps if you collect the wipes from your meals that are not sanitizing, they may be allowed. That said, I am reminded that we frequently found a small items down deep in our carryons that had somehow been missed - both in China and in USA.

The Imperial Jewels does not go to the ceramic factory.

We did not encounter insects anywhere.

I think trying to get through security in China depends on who and what day that is 'acceptable' and what is not. Had the same problem w/the wipes-once. Other times they were having issues w/my money belt (like I was gonna take that off!)

Anyone? No one has posted on my Roll Call for this trip, either. :(

There is a wealth of information in this thread. I've got close to 20 pages of stuff that I've copied and pasted. I need to read through it again to refresh my memory (what there is left of it). Thanks to everyone who took the time to contribute.

We're taking the 9/17/08 Imperial Jewels tour - Shanghai to Beijing.

The preliminary itinerary states that we have free time in Shanghai in the morning on the day we fly to Wuhan. We don't have our final docs yet but the initial documents tentatively have us staying at the St Regis.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what we might be able to see during that time? We're not shoppers so any historical sights, museums or parks would be great.

Thanks

Abe,

I don't have any information for you as we are leaving on the same tour in October. Would you be willing to email me at c b hilton @ suddenlink dot net when you return so that I can ask questions specific to this cruise? Hope you have great weather and a wonderful time. Carol

We're taking the 9/17/08 Imperial Jewels tour - Shanghai to Beijing.

The preliminary itinerary states that we have free time in Shanghai in the morning on the day we fly to Wuhan. We don't have our final docs yet but the initial documents tentatively have us staying at the St Regis.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what we might be able to see during that time? We're not shoppers so any historical sights, museums or parks would be great.

Thanks

I don't know exactly how much time you have that morning or what else was included on your Shanghai tour (if you had one), but my vote would be for the Shanghai Museum:

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/shanghai/0717023876.html

It was one of the best museums I have visited anywhere. It would be great especially if it is raining. Alternatively, take a ride of your life on the MAGLEV train to the airport and back.

In good weather you can walk along the Bund (don't miss going inside the old Hong Kong - Shanghai Bank building)and go up the Shanghai tower for a great view.

I think you'll enjoy Shanghai.

Paulchili - Thank you for the suggestions. I believe we see the Shanghai museum as part of our organized tour on our first day in Shanghai. The trip on the MAGLEV train sounds fantastic. I believe our hotel is fairly close to a MAGLEV station. The Shanghai tower also sounds like a great idea. Thank you for the advice.

Txtravelgal - I would be happy to email you when we return. If by chance I forget - please post a question or message here and I'll respond.

We are on the October 27, Imperial Jewels tour from Shanghai to Beijing, and we have friends who returned from the same tour about two weeks ago. They told us that they had very little free time in Shanghai, and that the tour did not adhere very well to the scheduled itinerary. In Shanghai, they spent most of their time on the bus. They stopped for about two hours at the museum and for about ten minutes at the Bund. Doesn't sound like there will be enough time to take the MagLev train. Drat!

Bobka - Thanks for the info. I guess I won't have to worry about planning anything to do on our own in Shanghai. I was surprised that Viking listed free time the morning we fly to Wuhan. No one posting in this thread mentioned anything about free time. I guess it's just wishful thinking on Viking's part.

I hope you enjoy your trip in October.

Thanks

We did Imperial Jewels in July and stayed at the St. Regis. Our itinerary said the same as yours. In reality, we had the morning free until the bus left at 9 A.M.! Not much free time. That morning, we went to the silk carpet factory, had a box lunch on the bus, and went to the airport to fly to Wuhan. It is apparent that every tour is a little different from others so yours may or may not be the same. The differences in scheduling sometimes appear to be logistic - like which hotel the bus goes to first, how many are going, etc. In this case, I think they just omitted putting the silk factory in the printed itinerary so we would not complain ahead of time and try to change the plans (more indication that the Chinese government has a lot of control over where you go.) You can't skip the silk carpets because you end up at the airport and you don't want to skip that.

After arrival in Wuhan, the intinerary focuses on the musical performance and only mentions the museum. In reality, the museum was one of the more interesting things we saw - more evidence of what the Chinese were doing 2500 years ago. And I brought home a model of the crane with deer's antlers that was "respected for avoiding disaster and welcoming luck and auspicious significance." - I hope that includes Tropical Storm Fay.

Have a good trip!

Mary Frances

Carol from Texas - I didn't read your post before submitting my last one. If you will read back over the three newest pages of this thread you will see lots of current reports about the trip you are going on. And lots of us here are glad to answer questions.

I went back and read this whole thread from the very beginning before we left. Lots of things are still the same but many have changed. For instance, they no long sell bottled water on the buses - it is free. I enjoy reading everything posted here and answering questions because it refreshes my memory.

Mary Frances, good luck with Tropical Storm Fay. We just went through it, and it was just a lot of sloppy never-ending rain. Fortunately, there was not too much wind. Stay inside and you will be OK.

Our friends were on your same tour, but they stayed at the Shangri La hotel and their guide was Sammy. They said they remembered you from the ship.

I am told there will be enough free time in Beijing to shop a bit on the last day. Our friends said they even found time to use the pool and spa at the hotel (Ritz Carlton) on the last night.

Bob

Is there any way to skip the silk factories? In Beijing, we would like to skip at least one activity in order to shop. Is there any way that we can do this?

My grandchildren will have fits if we don't bring home things for them.

skip the dinner on next to last night(most of us did-we had Pizza) and go to the Silk(Flea) Market. It's a hoot. Who cares if the clothes, watches, jewelry is real or not. Bargaining is the fun. Take dollars, local currency. Buy a carry on bag for $10 in the basement to take all the goodies home.

Be prepared to be nicely manhandled by the young girls at the booths. They mean no harm. Polo, Tommy Bahama, sportsac bags, northface.

Is it real or not. some look real, some obviously false.

It's entertainment. $6 Mont Blanc pens look great, but are half the weight of a real one, but who cares. Shawn Johnson even mentioned going to this market with her mother to buy jeans.

Enjoy

I agree with everything Penob said. We also skipped dinner on the next to last night (we were sorry to hear it was lobster we missed but, oh well - hard to believe it was actually good) and ate probably the same pizza. It was good and reasonable - at the Silk Market. It seems like I have described our shopping while eating pizza in a previous post. We ate after the Silk Market closed and, so, by the time we finished eating, all the taxis that lined up to pick up the shoppers at closing time were gone. We had to wait a few minutes for one to come by that we could stop. He charged us too much but we didn't want to walk and did not like standing around on the sidewalk alone. Even with charging us over twice what we should have paid, it was worth $12 to get back to the hotel safely, a price that would be considered cheap back home.

Carol, I don't know what to recommend that you buy your grandchildren. Our trip was 2-3 weeks before the Olympics so we bought some official and some fake Olympic merchandise. That will no longer be available so you will be left with the junk. I don't know how old your grandkids are, but they might like the kites, there were a few cute dolls, clothing was difficult to judge the sizes of - everything I bought was too small. I brought lots of 4 and 5 for $10 Rolex watches - you need a lot to be sure you have a working one for each by the time you get home. Most of the souvenir items seemed like something you might buy at the dollar store at home. I was afraid to buy real toys, given how unsafely the Chinese produce toys that are guaranteed to be safe. I bought a couple of 3 for $10 t-shirts and am finding little holes at the seams after one or two washings. I previously described the tea ceremony demonstration on the boat and the little man who lets you know if your water is hot enough - those little men are available to buy (you can try to get 6 for $10) and everybody at home gets a kick out of them but they are a lot of trouble to make them perform. If you can find things you think they would like, at least they will be inexpensive and you can buy a lot of quantity if not quality. I also bought an extra bag at the Silk Market. I paid $4 for a vinyl bag with handles and a zipper. I was wary of checking it as it was not very sturdy but it made the trip in good shape. I did not put anything breakable in it, but wished for luggage straps as I was packing it. If you need or want to bring handbags to anyone, find out a brand or a style before you leave - otherwise, the basement of the Silk Market can be totally overwhelming.

I seem to be rambling again. Let me know if you have more questions.

Archived