Viking China

2tsquared

Souzhou outside Shanghai is where we bought our duvets. The stuffing is silk and is wonderfully cool or warm as need be. Rather than throw away the double-silk worm cocoons (can't be unraveled to make thread), they are processed to fill comforters. Your group gets to pull a huge mass of silk into a flat layer that becomes the stuffing).

Here is a link to the prices for duvets last April '07:

http://picasaweb.google.com/billwitowski/ShanghaiGuilinHongKong#5116431493345518978

WIT

Wit, thanks to your great posts I'm hot after a silk duvet. Not so easy on my tour though - we don't stop at the Silk Factory in Souzou, and I'm not sure yet if it's possible to take a taxi there and back in a matter of hours.

The Viking people finally admitted to me that their sources say I will definitely not see silk duvets at the silk carpet workshop. They did suggest I could buy one at the coffee shop at the Great Wall!! Hmm. I think Shanghai might have the best prices...I here they're sold at the french chain store Carrefours. The search goes on;)

Wit, thanks to your great posts I'm hot after a silk duvet. Not so easy on my tour though - we don't stop at the Silk Factory in Souzou, and I'm not sure yet if it's possible to take a taxi there and back in a matter of hours.

The Viking people finally admitted to me that their sources say I will definitely not see silk duvets at the silk carpet workshop. They did suggest I could buy one at the coffee shop at the Great Wall!! Hmm. I think Shanghai might have the best prices...I here they're sold at the french chain store Carrefours. The search goes on;)

May I join in the search for the duvet ?

If I were wanting to know where I might be able to find one, the place I would begin my search would be at my hotel in either Beijing or Shanghai. The concierge at the hotel is the person that would be the best source for finding a store that sells them and also give you addresses and directions how to get to the stores.

However you do it, I’m sure you will find one you like. One last thought is, you will find your trip to China most delightful, educational and happy that you live in the USA.

Zhousou or however it was spelled was about 2 hours from Shanghai. That was where the silk factory was. Asking the hotel concierge will probably be your best bet. Don't buy it at the Great Wall. We found things much more reasonable elsewhere. Even the postcards were more expensive at the shop at the Great Wall. If you have free time in Shanghai, go to Zhouzou. That is more interesting than the embroidery shop that they take you to in Shanghai. At least I thought so.

Dale - thanks for your advice - the concierge should definitely be able to help me with locating a store and perhaps contacting them for details. It is indeed a blessing to live in such a wonderful country (mine being Canada), and to be able to explore the world.

No Fuss Travel - As much as I'd like to take a taxi to Souzhou, I'm worried that a 5 hour trip might be more costly now due to fuel hikes. I'll try to keep my shopping limited, and squeeze it in when I'm not busy seeing amazing sights!

gosh, I wonder if melamine in the milk is only the beginning of a tainted food saga!:eek:

well, let's see -

how was the weather?

pollution level?

duvet sightings?

highlights?

glad you had a great trip!:D

Good questions! We leave next Fri, I was thinking the same things..weather? Pollution? We're going to Tibet. Looking forward to that ... I think. :)

Kelley

We returned home on Sept 9th from Imperial Jewels (Shanghai - Beijing) We had beautiful weather about 90% of the time (never too hot and humid but some rain on a few days) and very moderate pollution. Gorgeous weather in the low 80s and clear skies the day we were at the Great Wall on Sept 6th. Our Viking guide, Grant, was top notch.

Really a wonderful trip - I'd go back tomorrow. I learned so much and really enjoyed both China and Viking! It was our first Viking trip.

Hope this helps. Any other questions, just ask.

The Weather was beautiful, sunny and dry in Beijing in the 80's. We arrived just after the olympics and just before the para olympics, so the factories were still shut down and the alternate day driving rules still in effect. We hardly saw anyone smoking.

When we flew to XIAN, the factories and coal furnaces were going full blast, and that's where we ran into the pollution. It was hot and humid from then on. The lesser three gorges cruise was really incredible. The weather was clear and I must say this was something special.

Duvets: We bought a beautiful cover and two pillow cases in the duty free section of the Shanhai Airport on our way to Hanoi. The duvet cover was $80 and the pillow cases about $17 each.

There was a shopping stop, actually a market with department stores, adjacent to the Yuyuan Gardens in Shanghai. You might want to look here as well. MOst of the souvenirs we saw throughout the trip were cheaper here.

We also had an incredible day at the Viking School. I could have taken several of these adorable kids home with us.

WE've just returned from the Imperial Jewels of China/Vietnam Extension. It was an incredible experience. If any one has questions, just ask away.

Hello-when you flew interChina could you take more than one carryon bag on board? I'm thinking carryon plus a purse.

Is there anything you packed that you wished you hadn't? anything you wish you had packed?

Really appreciate your feedback--

We are going on the Oct 17 Shanghi to Beijing Imperial Jewels trip-

mauicruiser

They were not that fussy on the inter China flights about how many bags you had. I carried my purse, a camera plus a bag and had no problems at all. We had one of our shopaholics have about 10 carry on bags and she didn't seem to have any problems.

How about the 1 checked bag. Was that enforced? I'm having a hard time figuring out how to pack for 3 wks, taking only 44 lbs. My suitcase weighs almost 10! Thanks for the info!

Kelley

We listened as well to the one checked bag rule and took about 45 lbs with us. I managed to get in 5 dresses, 2 pair of shorts, 2 pairs of capri's about 10 tops, 2 gym outfits, a bathing suit, a coverup, 3 pairs of shoes, 2 pocketbooks, 2 pairs of pajamas, 2 scarves, toiletries, etc.

They never weighed a thing! It was a group luggage check-in. We did not bring a carry on, but everyone else did (the standard wheel-ons) and that was fine.

The only thing they were strict about on the intra-china flights was liquids. No 3 in one rule. None at all. If you have prescription medicine, be sure it's in the original container and labeled.

If I had to do it over again, I'd probably bring another pair of shorts and less workout clothes, as I only used the gym twice. We went to Vietnam and we stayed in HOi An, which was a resort hotel and since it was hot there we used the pool twice.

WE went at the end of the summer and just about everyone changed for dinner.

Vietnam was incredible, a beautiful country and a nation on scooters, travelling in every direction. Bargains galore and still many unspolied areas. PRobably like China 20 years ago. Saigon was a bustling city, skyscrapers and modern hotels.

The Mekong Delta incredibly beautiful.

We listened as well to the one checked bag rule and took about 45 lbs with us. I managed to get in 5 dresses, 2 pair of shorts, 2 pairs of capri's about 10 tops, 2 gym outfits, a bathing suit, a coverup, 3 pairs of shoes, 2 pocketbooks, 2 pairs of pajamas, 2 scarves, toiletries, etc.

They never weighed a thing! It was a group luggage check-in. We did not bring a carry on, but everyone else did (the standard wheel-ons) and that was fine.

So we can take those standard, black, small suitcase roll ons w/no problem? We have been scrambling trying to find smaller carry ons. And my suitcase will definitely weigh more than 45 lbs. It's not a huge one, but still....things add up. Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

Kelley

Kelley I took a roll on carry on and had no problems whatsoever with the inter China flights. My husband had a check on bag as well as his huge camera bag and they didn't stop him. Now we had two ladies who had more than one check in bag,(actually they had 4 each) and they managed on all the inter China without having to pay excess luggage. The poor tour guide was working wonders for these two. I would strongly suggest that you take one suitcase per person for check in. Take casual clothes. Very few people actually got dressed up for dinner even on the Gala dinner night. I just used a pair of slacks with a dressier top. No one noticed if you wore the same thing twice. Have a terrific trip. We are glad we went but will go to other places before we think about returning to China again. Too much of the world left to see.:)

Kelley I took a roll on carry on and had no problems whatsoever with the inter China flights.

Sorry to keep repeating the question, but you are saying that they are not strict about the 20" x 16" x 8" dimensions for carry on? (I read that in the Viking info I think?) That would be wonderful. We both like to use out Tutto rolling bags for carry on. No problem fitting it in the overhead in the US. Shouldn't be a problem in China!? Thanks!

Kelley

Moontide -- I think we're on the same trip that you are.... we leave home on October 1st because we're doing the Hong Kong pre-trip, but then we arrive in Shanghai Oct 7th and we're going on the Sky as well. Getting very close to departure date now -- we're very excited!

The Weather was beautiful, sunny and dry in Beijing in the 80's. We arrived just after the olympics and just before the para olympics, so the factories were still shut down and the alternate day driving rules still in effect. We hardly saw anyone smoking.

When we flew to XIAN, the factories and coal furnaces were going full blast, and that's where we ran into the pollution. It was hot and humid from then on. The lesser three gorges cruise was really incredible. The weather was clear and I must say this was something special.

Duvets: We bought a beautiful cover and two pillow cases in the duty free section of the Shanhai Airport on our way to Hanoi. The duvet cover was $80 and the pillow cases about $17 each.

There was a shopping stop, actually a market with department stores, adjacent to the Yuyuan Gardens in Shanghai. You might want to look here as well. MOst of the souvenirs we saw throughout the trip were cheaper here.

We also had an incredible day at the Viking School. I could have taken several of these adorable kids home with us.

How was the weather along the river? Was it hotter than in the cities, or rainy?

While shopping in the duty-free shops at the Shanghai airport, did you see any silk pajamas or slippers for sale there?

Does anyone have recent comments about which tour in Fengdu is more interesting? We're going on Imperial Jewels tour (arrive Shanghai Oct 7th). I saw a few earlier comments that the Caves might have been closed down after the earthquake? Has anyone been on the cave tour since then?

Also, anyone else out there besides Moontide who is also taking this trip?

How was the weather along the river? Was it hotter than in the cities, or rainy?

While shopping in the duty-free shops at the Shanghai airport, did you see any silk pajamas or slippers for sale there? quote.gif

Yes in the Shanghai airport we saw silk pajamas and slippers for sale. They actually had a very good selection in the shops. As they get you to the airport long before your flight leaves you do have time to shop. They had a huge shop of items manufactured in China which make excellent gifts.

The river seemed more humid to us, but it may be different at the time of year you are going.

Does anyone have recent comments about which tour in Fengdu is more interesting? We're going on Imperial Jewels tour (arrive Shanghai Oct 7th). I saw a few earlier comments that the Caves might have been closed down after the earthquake? Has anyone been on the cave tour since then?

Also, anyone else out there besides Moontide who is also taking this trip?

The caves were closed when we came down the Yangtze in July. From what we were told it did not sound like they would be opening in the new future. They may now. The market in Fengdu was somewhat interesting, but there was more to see in other stops along the river.

Archived