Help with the time I'm supposed to be back at the ship when leaving Port?

cubalinda

I need help please. My friend and I are going on a cruise aboard the Harmony of the Seas early May and are differing in our opinion as to when we should be back on the ship to check in prior to departure when leaving from a day in Port.

She says that 30 minutes before the ship officially leaves/departs is fine; I like to be there earlier. In the past on Oasis of the Seas my boyfriend and I were there close to 1 hour before departure just in case (and to reduce my anxiety that we'd be caught up in a real rush or left behind).

What do you do? What is the official recommendation from Royal Caribbean?

If anyone has any experience with this aboard Harmony please chime in too. (I know it's early in it's run in the Caribbean).

Thank you very much.

This information will be very helpful.

The time you must be back on board will be noted in the daily Cruise Compass, as well as be posted on a bulletin board at the gangway. Technically, you must be on board at least 30 minutes before scheduled sail time. Personally, I don't like to cut it that close. Let's face it, how much more are you going to be able to do by hanging around in port an extra 15 or 30 minutes. We like to get back on board a little earlier so we can relax, have an "adult beverage" and take our time getting ready for dinner and/or the show.

You will see this information printed in the Cruise Compass, and on a sign near the gangway where you exit. Generally speaking, crew must be back no later than 60 minutes prior, and passengers 30 minutes prior. Like you, we try not to cut it that close. You never know what may happen.

We've always chosen excursions that get us back to the ship well before the time posted mainly because we do the ship excursions. If a ship sponsored excursion is not back, the ship will wait. If you are just shopping or enjoying a beach day and plan to cab it back to the ship, I would not risk returning a few minutes before departure in case the cab breaks down or you are caught in traffic which can happen in St Thomas or St Maarten.

There will be an "all passengers aboard" time set for each port. As noted, that time is not the same as the ship departure time. The time difference between the two may or may not be 30 minutes but regardless, if you return to the ship after that all aboard time, you are late.

I need help please. My friend and I are going on a cruise aboard the Harmony of the Seas early May and are differing in our opinion as to when we should be back on the ship to check in prior to departure when leaving from a day in Port.

She says that 30 minutes before the ship officially leaves/departs is fine; I like to be there earlier. In the past on Oasis of the Seas my boyfriend and I were there close to 1 hour before departure just in case (and to reduce my anxiety that we'd be caught up in a real rush or left behind).

If anyone has any experience with this aboard Harmony please chime in too. (I know it's early in it's run in the Caribbean).

Thank you very much.

This information will be very helpful.

Royal says 30 minutes. It is certainly your prerogative to be there earlier( we too prefer 60 minutes before to avoid the stragglers)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

30 minutes prior to scheduled departure is the norm. And it's fun to watch the "runners" -- those who are late getting back and run the risk of being left behind. Grab your favorite libation and head out on deck with a good view of the pier. Cozumel is a good port for this activity.

One caveat -- the larger ships like Harmony stay on ship's time, which can be an hour off the local time. Wear a watch and do not depend on your mobile device for the correct time, as it will automatically reset to local time. :eek:

Edited by travelgoddess1

let's face it, how much more are you going to be able to do by hanging around in port an extra 15 or 30 minutes.

Ha, well... When in a port that has free wifi, it might make a difference. Sitting next to the pier on a swing at that bar in Cozumel right next to the ship mooching off some free internet for the first time in 3 days.... Kinda worth it to me! :P

It's almost always 30, but I've seen 45 listed before. If you are with a RCI-sponsored ship excursion, you will not be left. That's the main advantage of booking an excursion with the cruise line.

However, it will be listed in your Cruise Compass, announced over the intercom the night before and morning of, and there will be a sign when debarking at the gangway at the port. It is almost impossible to not know when you need to be back on.

(Just a side note: Always follow ship's time, not local time!)

It's almost always 30, but I've seen 45 listed before. If you are with a RCI-sponsored ship excursion, you will not be left. That's the main advantage of booking an excursion with the cruise line.

However, it will be listed in your Cruise Compass, announced over the intercom the night before and morning of, and there will be a sign when debarking at the gangway at the port. It is almost impossible to not know when you need to be back on.

(Just a side note: Always follow ship's time, not local time!)

And yet you see the "runners" at almost every port -- either they don't know what time they have to be back, or they are bad at time management, or they think that the ship will wait for them. Having witnessed this phenomenon for over 20 years, I doubt it will ever change. :rolleyes: