Just off Brilliance today

ksuds

Since it's return this was our first time back on the Brilliance since last season. So I thought I'd go over some differences than what our earlier in the year experience was. If you have any specific questions, please feel free to ask.

Boarding- absolutely wonderful! Ship started boarding at 10:15. No issues with check in or any part of the boarding process.

We valet our car and the sign said 95.00 which was 15.00 more that what it was earlier in the year. When we paid, it was actually on 80.00. That was a pleasant surprise since I thought there was a 15.00 increase.

Drink package- we heard mixed messaged about this ship and them not giving the extra D+ and Pinnacle discounts. We bought our package at the pool bar and Eddie wrote that we were Pinnacle on our receipt. When we checked our TV bill, they charged us the discounted rate which was great! We thought we would have to fight for the discount.

Our room- we had 8044. We liked the little extra balcony space. Our room was very dusty. So much that I could write my name in dust on the counter under the TV. Our guy also left dirty soup bowls in our room one night when he turned over the room for bed. We did let the lead housekeeper for the floor know of our concerns. The dust never did go away.

We didn't do the dining room, but the Windjammer was good for dinner on the first night. The second and last nights we went to Giovanni's.

Giovanni's had the price increase to 29.00 and as discussed in prior threads, they no longer have the filet. The first night I ordered the lamb chops. As always they were delicious. Also all the other sides/starters we ordered were good. The other night I decided to order the NY Strip. I wasn't impressed with it at all. For 29.00 it reminded me of the minute steak that is up in the WJ.

Our big complaint with Giovanni's was that on the last night of the sailing they had a group of 21 or 22 people. About 10 of them were SMALL children. They put all the kids at a large round table by themselves. As soon as they arrived, the noise level from all the kids became very un-enjoyable. Of course they put them at the table right behind us.

When this happened, we asked for our checks so we could get out of there. The parents did nothing to quiet the children. We told the hostess that allowing this to happen in Giovanni's was not acceptable in our opinions. It appeared that all the guests complained to her that night.

When the large group found out that everyone was complaining, they encouraged their children to be louder. Then they also complained to the hostess that it was all the guests that ruined their dinner and demaded that she comps all of their meals.

Our meal didn't get comp'd. But some of the other people that complained did get their meals comp'd.

Anyway, the food overall on the second night wasn't as tasty and was served a little cold. Then with the out of control kids, it really made for a bad experience.

Did try to go to Rita's, but we walked in and sat down and were ignored. We waited a while and eventually left.

Entertainment- on a scale of 1-10 I give it a 3. The rock and roll headliner show was awesome. They played a large variety of everyone's favorite rock and roll songs.

The Pub- there was no entertainment in there the entire cruise.

The pool/centrum band that played was terrible. It was a guy and a girl and they basically karaoke'd everything. Even the hotel director told us that he thought they were terrible. There was another band that also played in the centrum and pool. They were decent. Not the best, but compared to the other band it was a step up.

The Schooner bar I wasn't very fond of the lady that plays there. She's not very friendly and doesn't have a large song selection that she can play.

Overall bar service was good. They ran out of Grey Goose in most of the bars toward the end of the sailing.

We didn't notice that we got the "extras" that we used to receive in our cabins. They used to make a little chocolate piano and leave it in the cabin. That has gone away since the hotel director change. No wines, or other amenities that we used to receive. No biggie, but it used to be a nice gesture.

Ship departure- not too bad. Ship docked around 7:00 and self assist people were getting off by about 7:10.

Sorry did forget to mention one thing for all the sports folks.

The Pub was closed during the day, but there was about 30 of us in there watching the Michigan vs Ohio State game. After waiting until half time, the staff were finally able to get us volume and put it on multiple TV's.

There was a movie by the pool that did end, and everyone began asking for ESPN2 to get turned on up there as all that was on the TV was a water scene. The people at the pool were all calling guest services along with everyone in the Pub. They would not get the game on until the last couple minutes of the game.

This was Cozumel day.

Thanks for the review and BR update Karen. We will be on board in Feb. Do you happen to know if they are still allowing D+ to have breakfast in Chops?

On our sailing it was "Gold" card only. I'm not sure if that changes based on the number of D+? It was never crowded in there so they could have allowed D+ in.

On our sailing it was "Gold" card only. I'm not sure if that changes based on the number of D+? It was never crowded in there so they could have allowed D+ in.

Thanks- I was going to add they also used to allow the higher tier C and A members to meet in the dining room for early self assist. Do you know if they still do that?

Thanks- I was going to add they also used to allow the higher tier C and A members to meet in the dining room for early self assist. Do you know if they still do that?

Our meeting was up in the Concierge Lounge. Rafeal would send groups down in the elevator and the Loyalty Ambassador walked us to the front of the line for self assist.

The problem was that self assist had started for a while so when those people saw all of us getting to go ahead of them, that didn't make them very happy.

The old days, they would walk us off before self assist started.

Since it's return this was our first time back on the Brilliance since last season. So I thought I'd go over some differences than what our earlier in the year experience was. If you have any specific questions, please feel free to ask.

Boarding- absolutely wonderful! Ship started boarding at 10:15. No issues with check in or any part of the boarding process.

We valet our car and the sign said 95.00 which was 15.00 more that what it was earlier in the year. When we paid, it was actually on 80.00. That was a pleasant surprise since I thought there was a 15.00 increase.

Drink package- we heard mixed messaged about this ship and them not giving the extra D+ and Pinnacle discounts. We bought our package at the pool bar and Eddie wrote that we were Pinnacle on our receipt. When we checked our TV bill, they charged us the discounted rate which was great! We thought we would have to fight for the discount.

Our room- we had 8044. We liked the little extra balcony space. Our room was very dusty. So much that I could write my name in dust on the counter under the TV. Our guy also left dirty soup bowls in our room one night when he turned over the room for bed. We did let the lead housekeeper for the floor know of our concerns. The dust never did go away.

We didn't do the dining room, but the Windjammer was good for dinner on the first night. The second and last nights we went to Giovanni's.

Giovanni's had the price increase to 29.00 and as discussed in prior threads, they no longer have the filet. The first night I ordered the lamb chops. As always they were delicious. Also all the other sides/starters we ordered were good. The other night I decided to order the NY Strip. I wasn't impressed with it at all. For 29.00 it reminded me of the minute steak that is up in the WJ.

Our big complaint with Giovanni's was that on the last night of the sailing they had a group of 21 or 22 people. About 10 of them were SMALL children. They put all the kids at a large round table by themselves. As soon as they arrived, the noise level from all the kids became very un-enjoyable. Of course they put them at the table right behind us.

When this happened, we asked for our checks so we could get out of there. The parents did nothing to quiet the children. We told the hostess that allowing this to happen in Giovanni's was not acceptable in our opinions. It appeared that all the guests complained to her that night.

When the large group found out that everyone was complaining, they encouraged their children to be louder. Then they also complained to the hostess that it was all the guests that ruined their dinner and demaded that she comps all of their meals.

Our meal didn't get comp'd. But some of the other people that complained did get their meals comp'd.

Anyway, the food overall on the second night wasn't as tasty and was served a little cold. Then with the out of control kids, it really made for a bad experience.

Did try to go to Rita's, but we walked in and sat down and were ignored. We waited a while and eventually left.

Entertainment- on a scale of 1-10 I give it a 3. The rock and roll headliner show was awesome. They played a large variety of everyone's favorite rock and roll songs.

The pool/centrum band that played was terrible. It was a guy and a girl and they basically karaoke'd everything. Even the hotel director told us that he thought they were terrible. There was another band that also played in the centrum and pool. They were decent. Not the best, but compared to the other band it was a step up.

The Schooner bar I wasn't very fond of the lady that plays there. She's not very friendly and doesn't have a large song selection that she can play.

Overall bar service was good. They ran out of Grey Goose in most of the bars toward the end of the sailing.

We didn't notice that we got the "extras" that we used to receive in our cabins. They used to make a little chocolate piano and leave it in the cabin. That has gone away since the hotel director change. No wines, or other amenities that we used to receive. No biggie, but it used to be a nice gesture.

Ship departure- not too bad. Ship docked around 7:00 and self assist people were getting off by about 7:10.

Very similar problems on Grandeur. Horribly behaved children and even worse parents :mad:

Sorry did forget to mention one thing for all the sports folks.

The Pub was closed during the day, but there was about 30 of us in there watching the Michigan vs Ohio State game. After waiting until half time, the staff were finally able to get us volume and put it on multiple TV's.

There was a movie by the pool that did end, and everyone began asking for ESPN2 to get turned on up there as all that was on the TV was a water scene. The people at the pool were all calling guest services along with everyone in the Pub. They would not get the game on until the last couple minutes of the game.

This was Cozumel day.

That was all you needed to see! What a game!

mich.jpg

Thank you for your thoughts. We board this Saturday for our 5th time on this ship although it has been 8 years since the last one. We're doing MY Time Dining and plan to eat in the MDR for all but one night that we plan on just doing the Windjammer. Any other tips on the meal offerings?

Thank you for your thoughts. We board this Saturday for our 5th time on this ship although it has been 8 years since the last one. We're doing MY Time Dining and plan to eat in the MDR for all but one night that we plan on just doing the Windjammer. Any other tips on the meal offerings?

I do like the options in the Windjammer that you can create your own dish and they will cook it. The one night we were in there it was Mongolian. I also like Park Café. Can grab a quick roast beef sandwich or soup. The roast beef is to die for.

I do like the options in the Windjammer that you can create your own dish and they will cook it. The one night we were in there it was Mongolian. I also like Park Café. Can grab a quick roast beef sandwich or soup. The roast beef is to die for.

Thank you for the info. I've heard good things about the roast beef sandwiches so will definitely have to eat there for lunch one day. Only 5 days till we board!:D

Ya know over all your review is largely negative. However it is evident that you basically like the Brilliance and in spite of the negatives you still had a good time and enjoy the Brilliance. I have seen your posts/reviews and know your fair and rational:)

This being said.... I completely get your post... the Brilliance is a good ship...It could be great if RCI will just put some love into it. For example... the pub is really cool but with no live entertainment it appears dry and neglected. The entertainment is weak and the food is lacking, but the ship is amazing and the crew is wonderful!

Edited by JohnSnowGOT