Roll Call and Privacy Concerns

kura

I always advise people NOT to give their last names on the roll call.

I post a list of participants with user name and first names ONLY. I keep a private sheet for myself with full names, emails and cabin numbers with participants on any tours organized by myself. This is NOT posted on the forum nor do I provide a link to it.

I long ago stopped indicating general place of residence (i.e. city, state or province) on the roll call listing ..... I keep it nice and simple.

I think you have a valid point regarding privacy issues. Perhaps ask the person in charge of the spreadsheet that you would like your last name, residence, cabin number and email removed from the listing - I would like to think they would comply with your request.

Well said. I will include the location they list on their CC account. Please note mine is general. That's on purpose.

When I make invitations for the M&G I ask them to email me their cabin number. And I always recommend that people NOT post their cabin # or last names on the roll call.

Hi all,

I have just been back to the roll call, and see that the PDF I was referring to has been removed in the last hour.....together with a few following posts referring to it.

Did you actually address this issue with the person who did the PDF? Hoping you did, to avoid public shaming. It probably would have been much easier than starting this thread and tabulating responses. That person probably thought there was no harm, within the confines of Cruise Critic.

Edited by Lizzie68

Hi all,

I have just been back to the roll call, and see that the PDF I was referring to has been removed in the last hour.....together with a few following posts referring to it.

Thanks for the update. I am happy to read that it was removed.

Well said. I will include the location they list on their CC account. Please note mine is general. That's on purpose.

When I make invitations for the M&G I ask them to email me their cabin number. And I always recommend that people NOT post their cabin # or last names on the roll call.

I never give the organizer my cabin number unless I know them personally. I read about the time and place for the M&G on the roll call, write it down and then attend the M&G.

Very well said. We all make choices based on our knowledge and our comfort with the security provided by our own internet providers and readily-available security software everywhere.

I certainly hope that a few posters who seem to think that Cruise Critic is a cesspool of low-life thieves waiting to take advantage of poor cruisers enjoying their vacation will not result in Cruise Critic tightening their rules any more and preventing the thousands of cruisers who enjoy participating in Roll Calls and exchanging with like-minded people of doing so.

If you don't want to participate, so be it, but please do not spoil it for everyone else who see nothing wrong in sharing a bit of info without being paranoid!

I so agree with this and if I might add, don't let one bad situation put you off.

roll calls can be a great way to meet people, like minded people and just have fun.

If you are not so inclined, so be it. But many of us enjoy the time planning and wouldn't have met some great people (like the above sommelier) if we hadn't been on a roll call :D

I am grateful constantly for the wonderful people I have had the pleasure to meet on roll calls and then on my cruise that made a big difference on many cruises, but especially the last one where we ended up with many more sea days than planned. Connections with people on board that you enjoy really make a difference:D

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"

Hunter Thompson

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It is concerning to me reading the personal info many Holland America posters share in live threads, roll calls and on the HAL boards in general. There is a lot of "chumminess" and great eagerness to share much too much information on where you live, travel dates, flight itineraries, hotels, family names, etc. Some live reports and roll calls literally shout out your whereabouts to bad guys.

Something to think about.

Hi all,

So the red triangle is really a means of asking assistance! Glad it worked on your concern.

The way I look at it is the people who organize these meet/greets and private group tours put in a lot of work doing so. We have been on several of these tours and have been very appreciative of the organizing work. People who kindly do this work do not have to answer to anyone.

It is very easy to criticiize. So it is really simple. If you have an issue don't join.....OR put the time and effort in to organize one yourself and be prepared for the criticism!

Edited by iancal

I think sometimes those of us who grew up with the net are more inclined to be transparent as we know that many things can be found out about easily. I feel if I give personal info I am giving consent for it to be shared We tend to be much more accostumed to folks knowing what is going on in our lives. For better or worse

I never give the organizer my cabin number unless I know them personally. I read about the time and place for the M&G on the roll call, write it down and then attend the M&G.

I ask, they give it if they want to. It's voluntary. I would NEVER want anyone to give more information than they are comfortable with.

The way I look at it is the people who organize these meet/greets and private group tours put in a lot of work doing so. We have been on several of these tours and have been very appreciative of the organizing work. People who kindly do this work do not have to answer to anyone.

It is very easy to criticiize. So it is really simple. If you have an issue don't join.....OR put the time and effort in to organize one yourself and be prepared for the criticism!

No one is criticizing those who organize the M&Gs nor the private tour groups. No one is asking people not to organize the parties. Posters are raising the alarm over the posting of private information on CC. Surely someone can organize a get together without posting private and personal information on the internet?

The Community Guidelines are pretty clear when it states do not post personal information about other posters. It does not state, for instance, that it's okay to post personal information about others posters if you have their consent. So why should others simply not join in when it is other roll call members who are violating the Community Guidelines?

Also, when the Roll Calls are requesting too much information, it tends to keep some from participating.

As pointed out by HALrunner, it's not just fellow cruisers who see it.

EXACTLY! I will read the roll calls for my cruises, but it is rare that I participate even though some of it sounds fun!

I ask, they give it if they want to. It's voluntary. I would NEVER want anyone to give more information than they are comfortable with.

The roll call organizer to whom I gave my room number also made it very clear on the roll call many times that it was optional, as was any other information. She also made it clear that nothing personal would be shared and that information should be emailed to her and not posted on the roll call.

It sounds as though you too, are sensitive to the fact that everyone has their own comfort level---and that's a good thing. :)

No one is criticizing those who organize the M&Gs nor the private tour groups. No one is asking people not to organize the parties. Posters are raising the alarm over the posting of private information on CC. Surely someone can organize a get together without posting private and personal information on the internet?

The one Meet & Greet I organized was done without any personal information, not even cabin numbers (I can see why some people do not want to give that out, especially if traveling solo). All I asked for was the CC name, first names and home area (whatever you wished to use - city, state, country, etc.). It worked out fine and we even had very nice name tags made up ahead of time (but another roll call member, not me of course!).

Since I decided not to collect cabin numbers or last names, I was not able (nor was it necessary) to send out invitations/reminders while onboard. I figured that if people were interested enough in coming, they would make note of the time and place ahead of time, plus I must have posted it 20 times on the roll call board!

There are different ways to do things of course, but this is how I handled it. We had a great turnout and the meeting seemed to go very well (if I do say so myself!).

The one Meet & Greet I organized was done without any personal information, not even cabin numbers (I can see why some people do not want to give that out, especially if traveling solo). All I asked for was the CC name, first names and home area (whatever you wished to use - city, state, country, etc.). It worked out fine and we even had very nice name tags made up ahead of time (but another roll call member, not me of course!).

Since I decided not to collect cabin numbers or last names, I was not able (nor was it necessary) to send out invitations/reminders while onboard. I figured that if people were interested enough in coming, they would make note of the time and place ahead of time, plus I must have posted it 20 times on the roll call board!

There are different ways to do things of course, but this is how I handled it. We had a great turnout and the meeting seemed to go very well (if I do say so myself!).

Thanks Dave for sharing your experience and congratulations on having a wonderful M&G.

First name in Roll Call posts - no problem. Last name - no way

Vague location - fine (there's 5+ Million people in W. Wash.)

Cabin # (and type) - can be very handy for organizing cabin crawls

I've been involved in some hugely active and valuable Roll Call threads that were very well organized. Mainly for the Transatlantics we've taken. The best have been the ones where someone has created a private web site requiring a personal log-in and moderated by the creator who "approves" accounts. Not sure fire secure but good enough - especially with a little common sense about how much info to share.

I do like the RCCL "official" registration process on their web site for signing up for Meet & Mingle events. It requires a booking number and last name and the list is accessible only with the booking number. It would be nice if other lines would adopt the process but then again that would mean they would be tighter with Cruise Critic than they might want to be.

In one case we did actually meet up with a roll call member pre-cruise at a public place. While living in MN but visiting in WA state we met up with a CC member named KonaDave at the Rick Steves "Europe Through The Back Door" store in Edmonds, WA. Ended up he had some serious "connections" and he organized some bus tours for 100 people in the Canary Is. and Mallorca. Roll Calls can be very valuable for networking with fellow cruisers.

Well done Dave.

I've done a few meet and greets and I developed a different strategy.

I do ask people to email me their cabin #'s or last name if they are willing and do deliver invites. I know everyone is an adult but I have seen a huge difference in the turnout when the invites go as "reminders".

I don't bug people on the roll call a lot about the meet and greet if we have a spreadsheet. Just a last minute reminder.

there is another method to my madness. If I have a cc member like gigianne who is hand making name tags (trust me these are keep sakes, a fair bit of work and very beautiful) and going to a lot of work, I want to make sure that people are coming. I don't want another CC member going to a lot of work for a "maybe".

I always bring blank name tags for anyone who hasn't signed up or was a "maybe". ;)

I think our turn out ratio doing that has been in the 95 - 100% range doing it this way (discounting the maybe's and those that didn't board).

As many have pointed out, if you don't want your full name or even your city listed on a roll call, don't do it. Simple. I am not concerned. My real name, address, and telephone number is readily obtainable on Google. If someone doesn't want to tell me their last name, my suspicions are aroused, and I am instantly disinterested in the person. He or she can safely remain incognito.

It's most unfortunate to read comments like this. While many posters have stated that providing information is voluntary, it clearly isn't when not providing it comes with ramifications.

There are evidently many group dynamics in play at some roll calls that can leave some people feel that if you don't go allow with the group, there will be repercussions.

What is striking about this thread is the paranoia. I don't think people realize that obtaining someone's full name and address is very simple and very quick. We give our names to creditors, to credit card issuers, to stores, to telephone companies, utilities, etc., etc., etc. Yet when we go on a cruise, we don't want people to know our last names? We are kidding ourselves.

As many have pointed out, if you don't want your full name or even your city listed on a roll call, don't do it. Simple. I am not concerned. My real name, address, and telephone number is readily obtainable on Google. If someone doesn't want to tell me their last name, my suspicions are aroused, and I am instantly disinterested in the person. He or she can safely remain incognito.

Bolding is mine. What is there to suspicious about??? Lots of people don't choose to do this for various reasons. Same reason they don't post on the Future Cruise Listing.

why be disinterested in a person because they are cautious?

Why be disinterested because they need a "trust level" (for lack of a better word).

You don't know what their concerns are. Maybe they have been stalked, maybe they had a bad situation in the past.

I don't make pre-judgements. I prefer to meet the people :)

I certainly hope that a few posters who seem to think that Cruise Critic is a cesspool of low-life thieves waiting to take advantage of poor cruisers enjoying their vacation will not result in Cruise Critic tightening their rules any more and preventing the thousands of cruisers who enjoy participating in Roll Calls and exchanging with like-minded people of doing so.

I don't think the folks who post - many on a regular basis - are a "cesspool of low life thieves waiting to take advantage of poor cruisers enjoying their vacation"

BUT ... It is a public site when it comes to reading posts.

This particular thread has 70 Posts ... but 3,131 views .... my guess would be that many of those views are not folks we're familiar with. I'm nowhere near paranoid but I hesitate provide unneeded information in a public forum.

I don't think the folks who post - many on a regular basis - are a "cesspool of low life thieves waiting to take advantage of poor cruisers enjoying their vacation"

BUT ... It is a public site when it comes to reading posts.

This particular thread has 70 Posts ... but 3,131 views .... my guess would be that many of those views are not folks we're familiar with. I'm nowhere near paranoid but I hesitate provide unneeded information in a public forum.

That is not unusual IMO. Many more people read than post and many would find this an interesting topic I suspect? Some are concerned about privacy, some not so and some want to learn so I am not surprised at the views. JMO though and I could be completely out to lunch ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I guess I don't have a high enough level of paranoia. I understand those who don't want to post last names and other specific information but I think some take it pretty far. I have posted my email address on CC and never had a problem with unwanted emails. I understand that someone might take my name, my location (Raleigh) and try and narrow down who I am but I lock my doors, have a burglar alarm, have all three of the credit bureaus locked down for my social so don't have much fear about what someone may try and do. I have had to ask people for some pretty detailed personal data for tours before (passport info, full names etc) as they are required by tour operators in some countries. Usually people are ok doing that but some have not been. I also ask for emails when organizing a tour but have never posted them on CC. It just makes communicating a lot easier in case of changes. Room numbers are also nice as it provides another means to contact someone once onboard. Hopefully everyone can decide what they are comfortable with and act accordingly.

It is easy to set up a separate email address for using on cruise critic and communicating with people you meet on cruises. That is what I did and I check it once a week.
There are some webmail providers with whom you can sign up for free, and they will not only provide you with a single-purpose email like this but also automatically forward on any received emails to your main email address. Personally, I use Hotmail for this facility but I'm sure it's not the only one. This means that you're less likely to miss an incoming email or to delay responding to one.