Decorating your door

BeverlyS

Do people really decorate their doors? This is only my second cruise and my first was years ago, and I can't honestly remember seeing decorated doors. I agree that it would make finding your room easier but Hubby thinks it's stupid. lol!

Do people really decorate their doors? This is only my second cruise and my first was years ago, and I can't honestly remember seeing decorated doors. I agree that it would make finding your room easier but Hubby thinks it's stupid. lol!

Some do.

Personally I don't understand why?

We have a trick that we use to find our stateroom - we use the stateroom number as a clue. ;)

We agree with your husband. We outgrew the need to decorate our doors long before we reached our teenage years. We sure aren't going to start again as adults. :eek:

Besides, most door decorations are quite tacky and take away from the elegance of the ship, which is something the cruise line spent a lot of time and money designing. :rolleyes:

Edited by sloopsailor

One my first... I didn't know about it but we did see A LOT of them. We were on Freedom of the Seas. This year we were on Vision of the Seas and it happened to be an Elvis fan club take over.... And we saw +100 rooms with Elvis tributes on them! I couldn't stop laughing (I myself just put a magnet on our door for fun)

Here are some photos of the Elvis doors haha

https://goo.gl/photos/5BVnbEadghCsTx9YA

https://goo.gl/photos/hKrqFapwNTZ987kD7

https://goo.gl/photos/TsftojDJL2wvx6jF8

https://goo.gl/photos/6m5CUeaz2Y6b3ov39

And then we saw a few like this - https://goo.gl/photos/EkdtQZhJ2cGznrSd6 - where it was a notepad or dry-erase pad... Even just to leave notes on the door for your roommates (IE: I'm at the pool.... or I'm just going to get a snack) I thought that would be useful

I agree with your DH. I think they're tacky and juvenile. As for helping to find your room, you should know that kids (?) have been known to steal or move these decorations from room to room. And the dry erase boards can end up with some 'not family friendly' remarks on them.

Some lines may restrict the materials that can be used, and the types of adhesives used to attach them to the doors ( magnetic is always best).

For the last 8 cruises I have mounted an 11inch porthole picture that was glued to a rubber backed magnet.

No problems with anyone taking it or making rude comments when they passed it while walking down the hallway.

The wife does appreciate it because she just walks down the hallway until she see's it and then stops in front of the cabin door, no door counting for her.

This last cruise I forgot to pack it and the wife did mention it a few times. :D

Bob

When we took a Disney cruise I discovered that people often decorate their doors. It was October so I made up some Disney related decorations that reflected Halloween. Since then, on our Holland America cruise, I made up a door decoration that was more generic. It really helps to draw my eye to my cabin. With our Christmas cruise coming up I made some Christmas ornament decorations for the door. All my decorations I make off the Internet, print the images off on cardstock, laminate and back with magnets.

I have seen doors decorated for the holidays or for a birthday or an anniversary.

I have seen families put something on their door to make it easier for their kids to recognize.

We always put a note on our door asking that anyone interested in geocaching give us a call and leave a message.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have a trick that we use to find our stateroom - we use the stateroom number as a clue. ;)

We agree with your husband. We outgrew the need to decorate our doors long before we reached our teenage years. We sure aren't going to start again as adults. :eek:

Besides, most door decorations are quite tacky and take away from the elegance of the ship, which is something the cruise line spent a lot of time and money designing. :rolleyes:

Plus 1. It's juvenile and tacky. Be satisfied with towel animals if your cruise line does that sort of thing.

How many times have you seen people decorate their doors at a hotel??????

I find it to be tacky and cheap. For the life of me I don't understand why a cruise line would allow people to deface their property. Try that anywhere else and see how long you get away with it. :rolleyes:

Edited by PTMary

How many times have you seen people decorate their doors at a hotel??????

I find it to be tacky and cheap. For the life of me I don't understand why a cruise line would allow people to deface their property. Try that anywhere else and see how long you get away with it. :rolleyes:

At a hotel we do not spend such a long time.

A hotel does not have such narrow corridors.

If the decoration is a magnetic sign or is decorations using the correct type of tape, it is not defacing the property.

I agree with your husband. At best it's folk art. At worst it's subway graffiti. Some of the excess examples posted here in the past look incredibly tacky.

Never have decorated my door, never will.

I wish that people who feel compelled to do this would keep it INSIDE their cabin and not subject it to the rest of us.

At a hotel we do not spend such a long time.

I have often spent over a week at the same hotel. Not at all uncommon.

A hotel does not have such narrow corridors.

Even more reason to not decorate your door. If I have to worry about dislodging or tearing something off your door when passing someone else in that narrow corridor, that isn't fair to me.

If the decoration is a magnetic sign or is decorations using the correct type of tape, it is not defacing the property.

It is for the rest of the passengers who are expecting a certain level of decorum on their cruise. By decorating your door, it changes the looks of that area of the ship, a change that you have decided on, and forcing everyone else to try to ignore it to have the experience they were expecting. By imposing your decorations on everyone else, you are in essence making yourself more important than everyone else.

Foisting your decorations on others is as inconsiderate as bringing a boombox to the pool and playing your type of music, forcing everyone around you to listen to it. I was taught to not impose my preferences on others. I much prefer others do the same in return.

Edited by PTMary

OMG is so agree, it's so tacky and totally not needed. Here is a tip, remember your room number! It's not that hard. It sure it makes the corridor look cheap and takes away the beauty of the ship. Stop doing it.

If it goes missing, then hey maybe the cruise lines might start to remove them.

The only time we decorated our door was for our Halloween cruise recently. We brought four black bats onto which we attached magnets and put them onto our door. We were near the beginning of a long hallway (second door in), but we got a lot of positive feedback about the door, including from the staff who liked the decorations.

Other than that, I never do it.

It is for the rest of the passengers who are expecting a certain level of decorum on their cruise. By decorating your door, it changes the looks of that area of the ship, a change that you have decided on, and forcing everyone else to try to ignore it to have the experience they were expecting. By imposing your decorations on everyone else, you are in essence making yourself more important than everyone else.

Wow. Decorum on a ship? With all the drunks, etc. staggering around? The mass market cruise lines have completely lost any sort of thoughts that they are upscale lines. Ever hear of a belly flop competition? That is not upscale at all.
Foisting your decorations on others is as inconsiderate as bringing a boombox to the pool and playing your type of music, forcing everyone around you to listen to it. I was taught to not impose my preferences on others. I much prefer others do the same in return.

There is a major difference. When someone has a 'boombox' playing audio, unless I leave the area I cannot un-hear it. OTOH I can merely look in another direction to ignore any decorations that might happen to be there.

Your post reminds me of people who complain about someone who is wearing clothes that they consider inappropriate for the person. They become all offended and say things like "I could not unsee that person". Just look in another direction.

Do people really decorate their doors? This is only my second cruise and my first was years ago, and I can't honestly remember seeing decorated doors. I agree that it would make finding your room easier but Hubby thinks it's stupid. lol![/quote

Only other places door decorations are used to find your room are assisted living and nursing homes - places that have residents with impaired mental faculties. That says it all. ;)

Wow. Decorum on a ship? With all the drunks, etc. staggering around? The mass market cruise lines have completely lost any sort of thoughts that they are upscale lines. Ever hear of a belly flop competition? That is not upscale at all.

You need to cruise on more mature cruise lines. I have never seen any of the nonsense you describe on Celebrity, Princess or HAL. If you choose the low end, you only have yourself to blame.

There is a major difference. When someone has a 'boombox' playing audio, unless I leave the area I cannot un-hear it. OTOH I can merely look in another direction to ignore any decorations that might happen to be there.

So, in your world, forcing people to avoid what you are doing is perfectly acceptable???? Like you said: "WOW"

Your post reminds me of people who complain about someone who is wearing clothes that they consider inappropriate for the person. They become all offended and say things like "I could not unsee that person". Just look in another direction.

And your post reminds me of self entitled people we all hear so much about. To your kind, what you want is the only thing that is important. Everyone else can just get lost. What a cringe worthy way to live.

Would it make you happy to do it? If so, do it! Don't worry about what others do or say. :)

And yet another example of the "entitled" mentality that is becoming so pervasive these days!!!! :rolleyes:

Edited by sloopsailor

You need to cruise on more mature cruise lines. I have never seen any of the nonsense you describe on Celebrity, Princess or HAL. If you choose the low end, you only have yourself to blame.

I typically sail RCCL and enjoy it.
So, in your world, forcing people to avoid what you are doing is perfectly acceptable???? Like you said: "WOW"

It is a lot easier to avoid something visual compared to avoiding something audio. And how is seeing a decoration on a door something that needs to be avoided?

And your post reminds me of self entitled people we all hear so much about. To your kind, what you want is the only thing that is important. Everyone else can just get lost. What a cringe worthy way to live.

So what you are saying is that if someone wears something you do not like, it is up to the person who is wearing whatever to change? You my friend are the entitled one. When you are in public, you deal with what others look like and what they do.

And yet another example of the "entitled" mentality that is becoming so pervasive these days!!!! :rolleyes:

Entitled? About decorating a door? Give me a break. As an aside, I had four different crew members and 5 other guests make very positive comments about the door decorations which were totally in line with Halloween. People (other than you) seemed to enjoy them. They were not obnoxious, or over the top. They were merely fun.

But I guess someone like you would not have fun if someone else did something you think was wrong now would you?

I have some advice: Stop making everything about you and your feelings. You seem to be bothered by something that is merely a cute thing that seriously affects no one. Is anyone affected by something attached to a door? How about whiteboards that I have also seen to leave messages on? Are those also not allowed in your world? How about pieces of paper which has notices and messages from the ship? I guess those would offend you also.

You seriously do not belong in public.

Edited by reedl

Would it make you happy to do it? If so, do it! Don't worry about what others do or say. :)

I agree. As long as you are not doing anything against the rules (many things), or forcing someone to endure something that is not acceptable (music for example) Just be happy.

People who are offended by others perfectly reasonable actions need to 'take a chill pill'

I typically sail RCCL and enjoy it.

It is a lot easier to avoid something visual compared to avoiding something audio. And how is seeing a decoration on a door something that needs to be avoided?

So what you are saying is that if someone wears something you do not like, it is up to the person who is wearing whatever to change? You my friend are the entitled one. When you are in public, you deal with what others look like and what they do.

Entitled? About decorating a door? Give me a break. As an aside, I had four different crew members and 5 other guests make very positive comments about the door decorations which were totally in line with Halloween. People (other than you) seemed to enjoy them. They were not obnoxious, or over the top. They were merely fun.

But I guess someone like you would not have fun if someone else did something you think was wrong now would you?

I have some advice: Stop making everything about you and your feelings. You seem to be bothered by something that is merely a cute thing that seriously affects no one. Is anyone affected by something attached to a door? How about whiteboards that I have also seen to leave messages on? Are those also not allowed in your world? How about pieces of paper which has notices and messages from the ship? I guess those would offend you also.

You seriously do not belong in public.

Clueless, you are. My level of "entitlement" is to not impose my obsessions on others. And, desiring the same level of respect in return. I prefer to not leave my "scent" where ever I go, like some woodland animal. Decorating your door with YOUR idea of taste is just that - leaving your "scent" for others to notice to make yourself feel important.

If you consider my opinion on the topic to be entitled, then you are completely clueless as to what makes people good neighbors. That you clearly think doing what you want is the most important aspect in life, do not lecture me on what is or is not appropriate behavior, as you clearly have no understanding of what that is.

And since this discussion is getting a bit too passionate - including by me - I am done here. I have had my say - there is nothing more I can add.

Edited by sloopsailor