Decorating your door

BeverlyS

I prefer to not leave my "scent" where ever I go, like some woodland animal. Decorating your door with YOUR idea of taste is just that - leaving your "scent" for others to notice to make yourself feel important.

Priceless!! I haven't heard anyone put it so clearly before. Thank you for describing this activity so accurately! A big thumbs up to you!!

I joined CC just last month, but have read MANY threads and am amazed at how quickly so many seemingly mundane questions develop into extremely contentious controversies. Online anonymity: the internet morphosis of liquid courage.

But to the point, RCI does this, themselves, all the time. Purchase the Anniversary/Birthday/Etc decoration package from RCI and what is the first thing you see as you get to your door? The huge magnetic sign announcing the celebration of choice. :eek: This, I must conclude, encourages passengers to do the same.

I have often spent over a week at the same hotel. Not at all uncommon.

Even more reason to not decorate your door. If I have to worry about dislodging or tearing something off your door when passing someone else in that narrow corridor, that isn't fair to me.

It is for the rest of the passengers who are expecting a certain level of decorum on their cruise. By decorating your door, it changes the looks of that area of the ship, a change that you have decided on, and forcing everyone else to try to ignore it to have the experience they were expecting. By imposing your decorations on everyone else, you are in essence making yourself more important than everyone else.

Foisting your decorations on others is as inconsiderate as bringing a boombox to the pool and playing your type of music, forcing everyone around you to listen to it. I was taught to not impose my preferences on others. I much prefer others do the same in return.

Well, since the only decorating we do is a flat vinyl magnetic sign, I don't think your complaints really apply to that kind of decoration.

Our cruises are two weeks or more.

Oh, jeez. Our last few cruises have been two week holiday ones. Many put wreaths or large bows on the door. I put a sign wishing everyone happy holidays that I print on colored pastel paper. If someone takes my sign, it didn't cost anything except maybe some minutes to make (I'll use a cheap magnet that I don't mind losing, but so far no loss there). It does help to spot our door quickly (for some of us those cabin numbers are on the small side) so even my hubby doesn't mind. and if someone is celebrating a birthday or anniversary, some cruise lines will put a sign and balloons on the door.

If you think it's tacky, then don't decorate your door. For everyone else, don't wreck the door, and usually the cruise line won't mind.

I've only seen one door decorated, on Norwegian Jade, where someone had hung a Hawaiian lei; I have seen crew putting balloons for a birthday once or twice, but I can't remember which line. It wouldn't worry me, but I can't see the point unless you have friends on board who need to find you.. :confused:

I know that some of the all-inclusive resorts in the Caribbean decorate the hotel room doors - Sandals - typically puts "Welcome Home" and balloons on the doors of their repeat customers. Maybe this cabin door decorating thing came from these all-inclusive?

I've also seen groups have a cabin door decorating contest on their cruises.

I've never decorated my cabin door, but I really don't care if others do this.

I have never in well over 100+ c ruises decorated my cab in door and I seiously doubt I ever will. Sure if you have small children with you but other wise it seems rather juvenile. The outside of your door is a public space and whatever you put on your door, has to b e e viweed by your neighbors and folks passing by .Why would they like that?

Wow. Decorum on a ship? With all the drunks, etc. staggering around? The mass market cruise lines have completely lost any sort of thoughts that they are upscale lines. Ever hear of a belly flop competition? That is not upscale at all.

There is a major difference. When someone has a 'boombox' playing audio, unless I leave the area I cannot un-hear it. OTOH I can merely look in another direction to ignore any decorations that might happen to be there.

Your post reminds me of people who complain about someone who is wearing clothes that they consider inappropriate for the person. They become all offended and say things like "I could not unsee that person". Just look in another direction.

:):)

th.jpg.b326a7c831a208ee3f8beea6759e53c2.jpg

I don't decorate the door, if anything I remove the name tag (certain cruise lines) but I have seen many a door decorated. Some have note pads attached, so occasionally I leave the occupant a note, sometimes even cryptic ones.:p

OL, do you leave a reply paid post envelope

But just imagine those stewards putting up congrads birthday, or anniversary posters and balloons.

SHOCKING I say, AVERT your eyes.:eek:

OL, do you leave a reply paid post envelope

But just imagine those stewards putting up congrads birthday, or anniversary posters and balloons.

SHOCKING I say, AVERT your eyes.:eek:

We have had the birthday and anniversary decorations put up for us but we took them inside the room as soon as we saw them on our door. A bit embarrassing really.:D

Nope - still none the wiser!!

In a self-managed community - a Home Owners Association (HOA) - the residents comply with certain association rules- such as exterior decorations, even colors, which doors, shutters and trim can be painted- residents of such communities might bring those notions on board when they cruise - and therefore feel they have the right to challenge the way cabin doors are decorated.

:):)

We have had the birthday and anniversary decorations put up for us but we took them inside the room as soon as we saw them on our door. A bit embarrassing really.:D

:) Ditto. We appreciated the gesture by the concierges when they put them on our door but preferred to have them inside our ca in and took them off our doo.r

Edited by sail7seas