Decorating your door

BeverlyS

I'm going to regret this (much like stepping in the above mentioned St. Bernard poo) but.....

I cruise. I cruise because I am a caregiver to a Wounded Warrior with a Traumatic Brain Injury and two littles.

We went to the Veterans Day Parade in NYC, compliments of WWP. They lost him in NY!

We went to Universal Studios Florida with Coalition to Salute America's Heroes, and they had to search the property for him. On board, there's a limited number of places for him to be.

Then add in two darling little girls, currently 6 & 4. They have seen Dad seize, they know rescue breathing (not bothering with cpr. Their 40lbs ain't gonna help at all). They are my little barnacles, glued to me or him always... except on board.

If having scrapbooking stickers attached to magnets irritates you so much, I feel sorry for you. I for one am using them so my then 3 year old can head down to the room whilst I hold my husband up. I'm using them so my husband can find the room and get the door open while I carry 82 pounds of happily sleeping angels back to they room.

I'm using them because it won't be long before these are the memories they cherish, because he's gone.

So find something more worthwhile to bitch about. Really!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I will say it again. Do what u want. ..... And don't worry about what anybody else thinks. Its just their opinion. People will never agree on any issue.

I agree 100%. Never mind what others think. Do what you want to do. :cool:

That is what my family does on cruises. We are on vacation, so we don't bathe, comb our hair, brush our teeth, or change clothes during the entire cruise. We can do all of that at home, so why have to do it on vacation???? We spit on the floors, never wash our hands from the bathroom to the buffet tongs, and wear our underwear to the pool (why bring a swim suit when it's the same size???). We talk during the shows, use our walkie talkies everywhere, and save two entire rows of lounges - one in the sun, and one in the shade. We pass gas in elevators, sit on the stairs blocking people, and talk loudly in the hallways, especially after midnight. ;)

No need to give a darn about everyone else. We always do just what we want to do. If you don't like it, then YOU have to deal with it, because YOU are the ones who are too uptight or just being busybodies, or have appointed yourselves the "behavior police". Mind your own business! What bunch of losers you people are. :rolleyes:

We're on vacation, after all, so why should we let anyone else dictate how we should behave? :confused:

So, my advice? Have fun, do what you want, and let the complainers stew in their own misery. :p

Edited by SantaFeFan

I'm sorry that you are living with such a heavy burden Cairyn. However all these door decorators cannot be care givers. :( One person puts a bright ribbon on their door to help their 85 year old mother with macular degeneration find it. But then the old chestnut "give an inch and they'll take a yard" kicks in. Then we have all manner of paper and foil arts and crafts crap lining the hall.

Edited by BlueRiband

I'm going to regret this (much like stepping in the above mentioned St. Bernard poo) but.....

Don't regret it. You have nothing to regret or be ashamed of. The people who should be ashamed are those who called names, like "juvenile," to people like you. Shame on them.

I think there will be more WWP & CSAH & Yellow Ribbon Fund & Elizabeth Dole Foundation & Operation Homefront ones this time around. I think maybe it will remind people how lucky they are to GET TO BITCH about something so minor.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

i' ve never been on a ship that did not have cabin numbers at each door. Assuming one knows how to count, it is not hard to find one's cabin. Look at the numbers so kindly provided by the ship builder/owners. They serve a useful purpose.

That's Gold. Love it [emoji7]

For those who want to criticize others who decorate doors-- You have no idea WHY some of those doors are decorated. It could be in memory of a dead loved one who was supposed to be on the cruise. It could be an aid for someone with failing eyesight, or memory issues. It could be a celebration of a recovery from a serious illness. You have no idea. Your petty view of what you think is "right" speaks only of how narrow minded you are.

For the record, we don't decorate our door, but we always enjoy see other doors decorated. A favorite was on the penthouse door, with a bunch of pictures, and a "Happy 93rd Birthday Fred" sign. We should ALL be so lucky.

how do you think you can know that not all of us wish to be 93? :eek: Some are fine to not become that aged. We all need to speak for ourselves, you seem to be impying. If so, itwould apply to all.

Edited by sail7seas

how do you think you can know that not all of us wish to be 93? :eek: Some are fine to not become that aged. We all need to speak for ourselves, you seem to be impying. If so, itwould apply to all.

I didn't understand your objection. You don't want to live to 93? You want to die before that?

Edited by CruisingAlong4Now

There are only two choi ces .............. Continue to have birthdays and get older, or don't.

Birthdays (getting older) and death are not choices. They are a given. Now back to door decorations. Different strokes for different folks.

Edited by davekathy

A favorite was on the penthouse door, with a bunch of pictures, and a "Happy 93rd Birthday Fred" sign. We should ALL be so lucky.

how do you think you can know that not all of us wish to be 93? :eek: Some are fine to not become that aged.

I no longer celebrate birthdays. Instead, I celebrate anniversaries of my 25th birthday. :D

Edited by SantaFeFan

I agree 100%. Never mind what others think. Do what you want to do. :cool:

That is what my family does on cruises. We are on vacation, so we don't bathe, comb our hair, brush our teeth, or change clothes during the entire cruise. We can do all of that at home, so why have to do it on vacation???? We spit on the floors, never wash our hands from the bathroom to the buffet tongs, and wear our underwear to the pool (why bring a swim suit when it's the same size???). We talk during the shows, use our walkie talkies everywhere, and save two entire rows of lounges - one in the sun, and one in the shade. We pass gas in elevators, sit on the stairs blocking people, and talk loudly in the hallways, especially after midnight. ;)

No need to give a darn about everyone else. We always do just what we want to do. If you don't like it, then YOU have to deal with it, because YOU are the ones who are too uptight or just being busybodies, or have appointed yourselves the "behavior police". Mind your own business! What bunch of losers you people are. :rolleyes:

We're on vacation, after all, so why should we let anyone else dictate how we should behave? :confused:

So, my advice? Have fun, do what you want, and let the complainers stew in their own misery. :p

I agree 100%. In fact we wear whatever we happen to feel like around the ship including meal venues. I dress out at about 350 but it's evenly spread. I have no problems wearing my speedo to the buffet. In the interest of decorum for dinner I'll wear a "nice" pair of cut off jeans and my favorite wife beater T. Hey, as so many before me has stated, I'm on vacation. I'll do and wear whatever I want whenever I want.

Do people really decorate their doors? This is only my second cruise and my first was years ago, and I can't honestly remember seeing decorated doors. I agree that it would make finding your room easier but Hubby thinks it's stupid. lol![/quote

Only other places door decorations are used to find your room are assisted living and nursing homes - places that have residents with impaired mental faculties. That says it all. ;)

Wrong - colleges do it on dorm doors. So many judgmental people here. Why do you care what people do, walk on by.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have decorated our door in the past. One time for a graduation cruise on Royal and the other two times on Disney. We have also purchased a couple of decoration packages through Royal where they decorate the cabin. They also put a sign on your door (happy birthday, anniversary, honeymoon, etc) so I don't think it is bad at all to decorate your cabin door if you want to. It is your vacation so have fun! We will be decorating our cabin door for Christmas in about a week.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Why do people care! Let people that want to decorate, decorate their doors. It's not hurting you. If you don't like it, keep walking... I personally have never decorated our door, and never will, but always smile when I see other decorated doors! Keep on keepin' on door decorators! ❤️[emoji1360]

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We lived in one such community where they gave summons for violations. Got a ticket, yes a ticket, for planting flowers not on the approved list. Every home has a water spigot in the garage for washing your car. Not allowed to wash cars in the driveway.

We moved within a year of buying and got the last laugh. There was a major error in one of the accruals. Maintenance fees jumped by $125 a month.

How does one wash their car in the garage?:D

Don't know how I forgot these people. Everyone in the neighborhood knows who they are. Long ago, I had one deliver an open bag of dog poo to my front porch with a note attached, accusing my dog of leaving it near her house. My dog was a Min Pin, about ten pounds. What was in the bag could have come from a St. Bernard!!!

Friend had someone show up at their door accusing his dog of pooping in his yard. My friend told him he wanted a DNA test as proof.:p

pullen, great observation, hadn't thought of this, but yeah, I would guess that those who cruise frequently (and belong to CC) would be over-represented in communities with strict HOA rules (solid middle class & up).

HOA: Home Owners Association. A governing group with a board of directors (typically homeowners themselves, elected by the homeowners within the designated neighborhood) within a planned community, which often has the legal power to set standards. Regarding this thread, HOAs often can limit the colors one paints their home (outside), regulate what decorations, fences, or structures can be placed on one's lot, what vehicles can be parked in one's driveway (i.e.: no commercial vehicles, including pick up trucks with business name on door)and even deem that all mailboxes must be exactly the same, to name just a few. The list of what the HOA has authority over can be quite exhaustive.

The result is a double edged sword.

1: Very clean, homogenous neighborhood, with no "that house" (in various stages of repaint, with the most recent partial coat so old it has faded 3 shades, with grass 2' high; rusted hulks of two, not one, lawnmowers languishing somewhere in said grass, but usually in the front yard, where they gasped their last breath; inoperable car, with obligatory multi-colored body panels, up on blocks in aforementioned grass, not in oil stained, crumbling concrete driveway, which has had a 25 year old derelict boat, covered by a tattered blue tarp, with the motor missing on a rusted trailer with two flat tires continuously sitting on it for the last 15 years; picket fence, last painted before ANY of the current cruise ships were built and looking like the mouth of someone who hasn't been to the dentist in the last 30 years, along with the similarly maintained shingle roof; and a dented, rust stained, door missing, mailbox whose post rotted away long ago and is currently propped up with a couple tire irons, duct tape and a broken off broom stick, approximately 23 inches above the ground, the top barely visible above the mean high tide of the grass...you get my point...:eek:)

2: Absolutely no individual expression or deviation from the community norms - don't you dare: Put that pink flamingo in your yard, even in your 6' stockade-fenced in back yard, where your neighbor might be able to see it from their second floor bathroom window while standing on their tub rim and stretching as far as they can to the left; allow bird poo to remain on your HOA approved, $400 mailbox (yes, you were required to buy that exact model) for more than twenty minutes - you will receive a registered mail, signed receipt required, cleaning mandate at minute twenty-one; leave your garage door open any longer than it takes to get your (HOA approved model) car in/out; and God forbid, you use anything but the absolutely latest ultra-efficient, expensive bulbs (LED is so last-year) in your HOA certified light fixtures, inside and out...:rolleyes:

For those who have read this whole post, I hope you have recognized my attempt to add a little humor to this thread, which, like many others I have read here, have the potential to start the next great war.;)

Ho

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The people policing door decorations are the same people policing the MDR dress code.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

And everything else, and then are the first to break these supposed social rules when it suits them.

Not to worry, The Time is Nigh.

Apparently 7 a cruise, via rumour.:);):)