Celebrity Edge's Blocks Are In The House!

Lloyd555

Well- the prommenade Deck discusion- i am big fan of those unobstructed prommenade decks. If one has enjoyed the prom deck on either QV- QE or the flagship of Cunard QM2 - one can really feel the difference- but thats neither here nor there- for me it was ONE of the reason to turn to Cunard. The same flaming discusion as we had when Solstice Class was introduced is happening now on the Cunard board- since it seems that new Cunarder will no longer have that - the almost trademark prom deck.

Same for HAL´s new ships Koeningsdam and New Statendam...- and still the ships seems to fill up nicely!

There are so many lines and ships- cruise passengers can find just about anything they want or alternatively don't like and make their purchasing choices accordingly. New ships even with traditional lines like Cunard tend to incorporate new technologies and popular trends to stay competitive with upcoming generations of passengers.

The Edge will go through sea trials again on Friday. They have to remove part of a temporary bridge to move her, which will be closed to traffic until Sunday.

This is in French, but can be translated with Bing translator or whatever you prefer:

https://france3-regions.francetvinfo.fr/pays-de-la-loire/loire-atlantique/saint-nazaire/saint-nazaire-celebrity-edge-repart-2e-serie-essais-mer-1543490.html

Not sure why the Edge has no dedicated library, but - correct me if I am wrong, I can't recall it - the photo gallery IS STILL THERE... If anything, this had to go way before the library, if you ask me. We all switched to Kindles/iPads etc., but does X seriously believe that in our digital age anyone would buy photo prints for 20-50 bucks?!! Come on...

The simple answer is revenue. The photo gallery still produces revenue (I know hard to believe), and a library doesn’t. These days cruise ships are designed with onboard revenue as a primary design factor.

The simple answer is revenue. The photo gallery still produces revenue (I know hard to believe), and a library doesn’t. These days cruise ships are designed with onboard revenue as a primary design factor.

You raise a good point. This is why I am afraid the Sky Lounge will disappear when the fleet goes through it 'revolution'. I love the spot... because during the day it is relatively quiet... nice place to look out at the sea... inside... and read. It was busy on three out of our 4 sailings during Captains Club..but again... no revenue generated. Viking lounge for regular passengers disappeared on Oasis class and was replaced as suite passengers area. Again while they may not be generating revenue in the location... for the prices they pay... it helps keep suite customers coming back.

I love cruising and one reason is that it has been a very cost effective vacation. I really started cruising more often after I compared the cost of a stay at Sea Pines Harbor Town condo plus cost of meals... and realized that cruising could be less expensive and included entertainment and a new stop every day. I hope it stays that way. But having worked in a job where I was measured based on profit targets, I understand. I can not see a real library it really is out of sync with the younger target and low on the revenue/sq ft calculation. Notice that they also have no basketball court (another low revenue/sq ft area). Even areas like the gym will have money making opportunities... with classes etc. They just have to keep from going over the line... which is getting pretty close. But as long as passengers keep coming... they will keep looking for new ways to increase profitability per sq ft

You raise a good point. This is why I am afraid the Sky Lounge will disappear when the fleet goes through it 'revolution'. I love the spot... because during the day it is relatively quiet... nice place to look out at the sea... inside... and read. It was busy on three out of our 4 sailings during Captains Club..but again... no revenue generated. Viking lounge for regular passengers disappeared on Oasis class and was replaced as suite passengers area. Again while they may not be generating revenue in the location... for the prices they pay... it helps keep suite customers coming back.

I love cruising and one reason is that it has been a very cost effective vacation. I really started cruising more often after I compared the cost of a stay at Sea Pines Harbor Town condo plus cost of meals... and realized that cruising could be less expensive and included entertainment and a new stop every day. I hope it stays that way. But having worked in a job where I was measured based on profit targets, I understand. I can not see a real library it really is out of sync with the younger target and low on the revenue/sq ft calculation. Notice that they also have no basketball court (another low revenue/sq ft area). Even areas like the gym will have money making opportunities... with classes etc. They just have to keep from going over the line... which is getting pretty close. But as long as passengers keep coming... they will keep looking for new ways to increase profitability per sq ft

I've got a feeling you are correct. The Sky Lounge may end up being converted to The Retreat area for Suite guests.

Not sure why the Edge has no dedicated library, but - correct me if I am wrong, I can't recall it - the photo gallery IS STILL THERE... If anything, this had to go way before the library, if you ask me. We all switched to Kindles/iPads etc., but does X seriously believe that in our digital age anyone would buy photo prints for 20-50 bucks?!! Come on...

There is a brand new cruise ship [five actually, and on the way to a fleet of 16] that has an extensive library collection and no photo gallery: Viking Ocean. Also a wonderful forward-facing lounge open to everybody. But prices are quite a bit higher than Celebrity.

To paraphrase...

The simple answer is revenue. , and a library doesn’t.

These days cruise ships are designed with onboard revenue as a primary design factor.

You raise a good point.

Viking lounge for regular passengers disappeared on Oasis class and was replaced as suite passengers area. Again while they may not be generating revenue in the location... for the prices they pay... it helps keep suite customers coming back.

I love cruising and one reason is that it has been a very cost effective vacation.

I hope it stays that way.

But having worked in a job where I was measured based on profit targets, I understand.

They just have to keep from going over the line...

Library thoughts...

My DW, who is still employed, and does not like these meandering CC thread discussions,:)

said her father, now deceased , commented ,

"Why visit strange countries when you could go to a library and just read about them?"

Whilst her mother said, "Go on cruises while you are able".

Edited by $hip$hape

Many new ships and also refurbs coming on line...

Hope competition will bring stability in prices on the ones that are not the newest. Also hope they trend away from mega monster ships...

Functions of areas do change with the times. The 2 story area called Words ( reading) and Notes ( CD listening room) on X were re purposed But libraries have been around since ancient times even as they add technology to the mix. We try to visit them in ports, whenever possible.

Maybe the Sky Lounge will become an Eden style space in the re do..And they may just break up the mdrs a bit more to offer the diff choices. Blu will probably not change much because they kept the BLU decor on EDGE as is and did not let the designers destroy it! BLU is one of the innovations X has ever introduced!

To paraphrase...

Library thoughts...

My DW, who is still employed, and does not like these meandering CC thread discussions,:)

said her father, now deceased , commented ,

"Why visit strange countries when you could go to a library and just read about them?"

Whilst her mother said, "Go on cruises while you are able".

Great advice! Do both!

Is there a closet? Where?

It appears to me that the table next to the white chest of drawers is designed to slide into the cabinet and disappear, giving you a full length dressing mirror and a larger floor area . Also, I read at one point, there was talk of installing a real plug in the bathroom, for a hair dryer or other normal device, instead of the silly "shaver only" plug you normally see. Waiting for actual reviews...8a7a78294f287d278d6922473cfe7fa9.jpg

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Is there a closet? Where?

The closet is the two doors near the tall end of the sofa. It looks like a wall but it’s actually two closet doors. Inside are a few more drawers and the safe, and of course bars for hanging clothes.

enhance

enhance

enhance

DachshundRules posted this video today on the IV thread that shows the closets. We think there is storage under the art cubbie (where the question mark is), but the guy couldn't get it open. Not impressed with his reporting skills. Hopefully we will be better at it. :D

Re library - Equinox appeared to have removed most of the paperbacks read and left behind by cruisers. Noticed this trend on a B2B earlier.

I have my ereader but like to find an oldie or good read.

Plus, yes, that book in my hand always takes precedence over the ereader. No, I’m not twenty-something so am out of the demographic Celebrity wants to bring onboard.

Please, at least give us a book exchange area.

Sorry, the link didn't work in the last post - here's the link for the IV video with closet.

Thanks for posting the link. I noticed the top of the IV table doesn't have the two handles that we saw in other cabin photos. I wonder which one it will be. I prefer it w/o the handles so a room service tray might fit on top.

Carole

Thanks to all!

enhance

enhance

enhance

DachshundRules posted this video today on the IV thread that shows the closets. We think there is storage under the art cubbie (where the question mark is), but the guy couldn't get it open. Not impressed with his reporting skills. Hopefully we will be better at it. :D

Thanks for this. So more drawers in the closet. If you look closely on the left side... it looks like there will be small shelves on the side.. possibly for ladies shoes or small items. Don't bother bringing long formal gowns... not a lot of room for hanging items and not much room on the bottom for shoes... but for me... I only bring one long dress if any and I am not a shoe person... so this will work for me. Do you think the rounded corner is supposed to open or he thought is would and didn't? That would make a nice spot to store those small items. This may not work out for travelers who do not bring lots of choices in clothing. I was concerned but I don't pack a lot of options... and the space under the couch might be good for any shoes I can't get in the bottom of the closet. I think the lip in the bathroom will work fine except in rough seas... then the larger bottles likely to tumble. I have to say I really really like the storage in the S class bathrooms. I may be wrong but the shower looks a touch larger... but not by much. Looks like hand held shower or at least one that can be adjusted up and down. I think I saw two hooks on the door and two in the shower. At least that is what I think they are. Another nice feature is the towel holder also looks like it could act as a grab bar... for those with knee issues. Glad to see the inside of the closet. It will be a tight fit for some... expecialy on a 14 night cruise... but it gives me an excuse to be careful in clothing selection and not pack too many options. I don't think they have increased storage... actually just made the closet have less wasted space.... by having drawers and those small shelves on the left. I hope I can get all DH polo shirts in the drawers.

VT there is someone on facebook looking at an accessible cabin with the grab bar by the toilet needs to be on the left side. Now the cabins he is looking at are 9927 & 9928. (but I can not find these on deck plan - probably meant 9227 and 9228) Do you have any idea on how to figure that out? So far he has not gotten info back from his TA. I suggested he call Celebrity directly...but thought you might have some ideas. I know the accessible cabins have been a bit of a mystery. My guess... based on looking at regular IV.. is that cabins where the doorway is on the right side would be more likely... but that assumes toilet is in the same location as in a regular Iv cabin...not sure this would be a safe assumption.

Edited by kearney

The libraries on my "X" cruses never impressed me. It was a great area but the books seemed an afterthought. Most looked as though they were either from thrift stores or left by prior guests. Cunard is serious about their libraries, especially on QE2. But don't forget, most QE2 cruises are 7 sea days and folks need something to pass the time. There were nice libraries with librarians on Holland America. However, those libraries were sponsored by the New York Times. Regent also has some small but nice libraries with current books. But they're a luxury line.

If "X" isn't going to make a real investment in libraries, put the space to better use.

I am a parsimonious packer, but even I am concerned about space to unpack basic clothing items and my sparse pairs of shoes.

I am very glad I now pack by items into packing cubes. This way I can either sort items into cubes by day (full ensemble in each cube) or by category (t-shirts in one, shorts in another, etc...) and keep these cubes neatly packed with my extra or yet unworn items inside my suitcase and store them under my bed (assuming, of course, there will still be a space to store our luggage under the bed). It can be tedious to have to get into your luggage more regularly, but it helps keep the cabin neater, easier to find items, and makes repacking before disembarkation a snap.

I usually unpack a few days worth of clothes, hang suits and dresses in the closet, put polo and t-shirts on the shelves and undies/personal items in the drawers. But even this efficiency may be challenged by what appears to be limited space in the closet, drawers and shelves. We shall see.