Celebrity Edge's Blocks Are In The House!

Lloyd555

So true about that. To pay that much and not even get a recliner or lounger would not be cool for some. They hyped and put a lot of emphasis on how good and nice the suites will be. So let's hope they come through with what they showed on renderings/videos or better for the final product.

Also, if the final product does not look or up to par with what they represented and with what avid Celebrity cruisers are use to having, some who have booked Sky Suites and not made final payment may contemplate changing cabin categories.

I am on an S2 accessible and pay almost $12 for two and I don’t care about the chairs but the size of the cabin. Wait and enjoy your cruise.

So true about that. To pay that much and not even get a recliner or lounger would not be cool for some. They hyped and put a lot of emphasis on how good and nice the suites will be. So let's hope they come through with what they showed on renderings/videos or better for the final product.

Also, if the final product does not look or up to par with what they represented and with what avid Celebrity cruisers are use to having, some who have booked Sky Suites and not made final payment may contemplate changing cabin categories.

I think the suites will be awsome like many other amazing areas on the ship. Retreat is so upscale looking. And Luminae as well.

Not sure about the reg cabins, other than the bathrooms, they seem more dorm like,... no frills, but maybe that's the new version of Modern Luxury!

I am on an S2 accessible and pay almost $12 for two and I don’t care about the chairs but the size of the cabin. Wait and enjoy your cruise.

I think the suites will be awsome like many other amazing areas on the ship. Retreat is so upscale looking. And Luminae as well.

Not sure about the reg cabins, other than the bathrooms, they seem more dorm like,... no frills, but maybe that's the new version of Modern Luxury!

I have no doubt the suites will be beautiful and a nice size too regardless of what's on the balcony. It will probably be one of the nicest we have stayed in. (If you saw the balcony I had on our MSC Seaside cruise and still didn't take away from our cruise enjoyment, you will understand) :D. So I'm looking forward to cruising Edge, and we are planning on having a great time. :):D

After having been censored for my previous comments by CC hosts, I still find the exterior of the Edge to be less than attractive (bow). It's exterior seems to be an attempt to be all inclusive, instead of the beauty once seen on earlier ships in the Celebrity/ RCCL fold. The MC adds nothing to its exterior nor does the bow, and both are somewhat of an eyesore!

I agree with many that the interior is modern simplistic beauty, but I find the Plaza Chandelier to be distracting, and unbecoming. Features similar to this are common on Carnival ships, and tend to be found on newer RCL ships as well, attempting to attract younger cruisers The powers that be seem to forget those who helped them rise to the top.... shame on you!

Will this stop me from cruising with Celebrity, absolutely not, but remember, if the experienced cruisers don't pass what is attractive to us to younger cruisers, you might not find them to be driven to Celebrity Cruise Line at all. Not all younger men and women yearn for flashing lights or the latest gimmicks. Think about it!

IMHO

Enjoying the pics and ignoring the more negative comments on here, reminds me of the Disney Cruise forum folks lol.

Guessing that overall it will be a great ship with some things we will like and others we won’t. Hopefully our lowly inside room will have a closet;)

Designing a cruise ship has to be incredibly difficult, when you sit back and think about the age range on the ship and differing tastes of people. No matter what they try some will like, some won’t.

Colors are awesome, but really wish there was more orange on it. If anyone knows where I can see pics of an inside room I would appreciate it would love to see what our room will look like.

Enjoying the pics and ignoring the more negative comments on here, reminds me of the Disney Cruise forum folks lol.

Guessing that overall it will be a great ship with some things we will like and others we won’t. Hopefully our lowly inside room will have a closet;)

Designing a cruise ship has to be incredibly difficult, when you sit back and think about the age range on the ship and differing tastes of people. No matter what they try some will like, some won’t.

Colors are awesome, but really wish there was more orange on it. If anyone knows where I can see pics of an inside room I would appreciate it would love to see what our room will look like.

Not sure which type you have, but this is labeled as inside 09. :D

enhance

enhance

Not sure which type you have, but this is labeled as inside 09. :D

enhance

enhance

Those look really nice. If I remember it is one of the insides next to a suite. Our booking confirmation gives us only that it is an inside stateroom. I believe that we booked the cheapest room onboard we could find. On Disney and RCCL we did everything from concierge to an inside and found that an inside suited us best because of how little we use our staterooms. Honestly the favorite room we ever had was a forward facing ocean view room, it was pretty cool.

Those look really nice. If I remember it is one of the insides next to a suite. Our booking confirmation gives us only that it is an inside stateroom. I believe that we booked the cheapest room onboard we could find. On Disney and RCCL we did everything from concierge to an inside and found that an inside suited us best because of how little we use our staterooms. Honestly the favorite room we ever had was a forward facing ocean view room, it was pretty cool.

That's great that you have found you really like the money-saving option. Unfortunately for us, each step up has been a one-way trip: inside to veranda to suite. :eek:

Your cabin does look nice and roomy at 202 sq ft. If we ever retire, we may move closer to the ports and sail insides often, instead of AQ and SS 1-2 times/year. I'm hoping to see an inside on one of my Edge cruises. I have never sailed in a forward ocean view, but my daughter has and she loved it.

Some new construction photos here today:

https://good-btp.com/a-bord-du-paquebot-celebrity-edge/26651/

Some good shots! Thanks!

This was an interesting translation in the article:

"The integration of the Magic Carpet, whose idea is for the engineers from Nazaire, was a real technical challenge. Because it was necessary to compensate for the lack of similar equipment on the port side in terms of weight and constraints on the ship's structure. The engineers therefore designed a completely asymmetrical vessel. Especially in the organization of interior spaces, eccentric to change the center of gravity. This is the case of the atrium, called Grand Plazza and three bridges high, where we also note the presence of large inclined spurs that contribute to the strength of the structure."

Another translated quote (bolding mine):

"The completion work will therefore continue until delivery on October 31 and beyond. The Celebrity Edge must indeed leave Saint-Nazaire on November 6th and will not start its first cruises before the end of this self (?meant to say month - ? translation error). This leaves time to finish the different spaces, to arrange and decorate, then the crew to practice before the arrival of the first passengers."

So, do you think she will head over on November 6th after she leaves Saint Nazaire? Has anyone heard? :D

This was an interesting translation in the article:

"The integration of the Magic Carpet, whose idea is for the engineers from Nazaire, was a real technical challenge. Because it was necessary to compensate for the lack of similar equipment on the port side in terms of weight and constraints on the ship's structure. The engineers therefore designed a completely asymmetrical vessel. "

My DH wrote that to compensate the weight of the MC they moved one of the engines to the opposite site of the MC.

steamboats

Some new construction photos here today:

https://good-btp.com/a-bord-du-paquebot-celebrity-edge/26651/

Great article and photos. Thanks! My attention was caught by the photo of the bow, where the lovely blue paint meets the other colors. That’s a beautiful paint job! On the upper decks, I love the gorgeous curving wooden bench, the sculpture & colors used in the solarium, and the intriguing arched promenade.

All marketing hype aside, I’m seeing some amazing attention to detail in quite a few areas. When I look at the many photos and videos documenting the birth of the Edge, I see countless highly skilled people who take great pride in their work. I feel very fortunate to be able to sail on their joint creation, and I’ll salute them when I board Edge next April:)

That's great that you have found you really like the money-saving option. Unfortunately for us, each step up has been a one-way trip: inside to veranda to suite. :eek:

LOL - that is what I Am afraid of, big time... as my spouse has expressed an interest in a SV.. then the phrase spilled out " ...maybe we can try a CS sometime?" from the person who was kicking and screaming about getting a Verandah cabin on our fist X sailing... when an OV would have been just fine.

bon voyage

I was a little surprised at the tiny Retreat “pool”. You can actually swim in the pool in NCL’s Haven. This looks more appropriate for a quick dunk and foot swish.

It does look a bit small for doing laps, but as far as size, it will be bigger than it looks. If you look at the blue areas pointed out below, the water will extend out to the edge for more shallow pool area with a ledge to sit on at the sides (you may have notices that already, but I missed it at first). I have seen pictures of loungers in the water on the edge of the pool, but not recently, so maybe that has changed.

enhance

enhance

Great article and photos. Thanks! My attention was caught by the photo of the bow, where the lovely blue paint meets the other colors. That’s a beautiful paint job! On the upper decks, I love the gorgeous curving wooden bench, the sculpture & colors used in the solarium, and the intriguing arched promenade.

All marketing hype aside, I’m seeing some amazing attention to detail in quite a few areas. When I look at the many photos and videos documenting the birth of the Edge, I see countless highly skilled people who take great pride in their work. I feel very fortunate to be able to sail on their joint creation, and I’ll salute them when I board Edge next April:)

I had my doubts with these famous designers (seemed more like a marketing tool), but I think you hit the nail on the head that these people have such attention to detail, and all are taking such pride in their work, that the Edge is shaping up to be a work of art.

Dear Sir/Madam,

I assume - and I hope - you have never had a really serious issue with your suite/stateroom on the ship.

I did.

I am referring not to a faulty plug or burned bulb. I mean something like a flood from the bathroom that instantly fills your carpet with sewage, or something like that. Trust me, maintenance comes and goes, but sewer smell stays...

When the sash in IV glass (God forbid) gets stuck half way down, that's when the maintenance won't fix as fast as a burned bulb. Believe me.

But this is not the reason I wrote the post that obviously irritated you.

I am very excited to see the new ship, and at the same time I am curious - as any engineer would be - to see if all things are done right with it.

That's why I write about things that could have been done better, from my point of view. If it makes you feel upset, just skip my posts, I won't be offended.

As to "derogatory" statements about things made in China, I take it you don't have IKEA furniture in your home :) Good for you.

For your amusement, here's something similar to the Edge closet corner supports shown in the pictures posted earlier by Lloyd:

Picture_3.jpg

Check Alibaba website, there are hundreds of furniture fittings of this kind there. If you believe that for the Edge they used something made in the USA or even EU (and the same goes regarding particle boards, and actually any plastic/composite material within the ship...) - I don't know what else to say, I apologize in advance. I also apologize profoundly if I sound disrespectful - this was the last thing I wanted.

Business is business, and what is available at a fraction of a cost in China vs US/EU - believe me, the pendulum will swing to the East, Actually, I am not derogatory, I am just realistic.

I - personally - will just be extra careful not to put much weight on those shelves/walls .... And as someone just posted, I will always keep my MB ("magic box", with outlets) open - just in case.

However, when things go bad, I will be the first one to give you a hand, as an engineer, as a scientist, as a good Samaritan.

Enjoy your cruise. I know I will, even if I fret now.

Sorry for the way I came across to you. I just wanted to point out that I at least would not worry about everything that could happen or will happen this far in advance- and maintenance generally is very responsive every time I have called them- yes even in suites I have sailed. I don't assume that any one item on Edge is from the US or EU or China or anywhere else in the world. I do assume that Celebrity has quality standards that they follow for their sourcing of items like most international corporations.