Celebrity Edge's Blocks Are In The House!

Lloyd555

47 minutes ago, jsea said:

Great set of photos! No shots of the Retreat though strangely enough.

An interesting note was the caption about the deck located at the front of the ship. It says it’s accessible for guests using the thermal suite. I believe there is a charge for use of the thermal suite. So it sounds like you can’t access that front deck without paying.

I forgot who was concerned about the glass  being to low behind Mr. Edge, Incase some child or big kid were to get on him and slide off. I too shared the same concern and I am happy to see this photo of the increased glass height around him. However let’s hope people  don’t try to ride Mr. Edge. 

23C54B77-121D-45B4-80C4-0B390725434D.jpeg

1 hour ago, WonderMan3 said:

Great set of photos! No shots of the Retreat though strangely enough.

An interesting note was the caption about the deck located at the front of the ship. It says it’s accessible for guests using the thermal suite. I believe there is a charge for use of the thermal suite. So it sounds like you can’t access that front deck without paying.

Hi I click on the link and can't see any photos. Am I doing something wrong??

Not sure why, but here a few other links that may get you there. 

His twitter account (scroll down and look for links): https://mobile.twitter.com/CruiseLog

Article via Apple News: https://apple.news/AnwITqmOEQB2_xdzWFEsgWA

Another try:

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/2105283002?__twitter_impression=true

Lastly, if you google “USA Today Edge”, the article is the first hit for me here. Maybe it would be near the top for others as well. 

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Mcampo said:

I forgot who was concerned about the glass  being to low behind Mr. Edge, Incase some child or big kid were to get on him and slide off. I too shared the same concern and I am happy to see this photo of the increased glass height around him. However let’s hope people  don’t try to ride Mr. Edge. 

23C54B77-121D-45B4-80C4-0B390725434D.jpeg

Thank you for this. I actually sent an email to the CEO about this. It is possible that the back of the horse is too high to place a child there.... but what a photo op it would be. I just could not get the thought of a child... not waiting for their parent... to just slide off the back. It does look much higher than before .... a  good 18" more. Now I can relax.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, kearney said:

Thank you for this. I actually sent an email to the CEO about this. It is possible that the back of the horse is too high to place a child there.... but what a photo op it would be. I just could not get the thought of a child... not waiting for their parent... to just slide off the back. It does look much higher than before .... a  good 18" more. Now I can relax.

I, too, am glad to see it is a better scenario than we originally thought it would be.  Safety is always a good thing.

And, Mr. Edge is really beautiful!  

Edited by beachbunny6

I finally decided to come out from "lurking"!

This thread has brought me so much enjoyment the last few weeks. My husband and I will be spending our delayed honeymoon on the Dec. 9th Edge. We're so excited to share memories with you all! Thank you for all the tips, tricks, and photos! Keep 'em coming! 

See you soon! XO, 

Paige 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Anyone else notice how much smaller the Retreat looks in the video above than in the mockup that Celebrity put out? Not complaining. Just something I noticed.

It seems crowded to me; lots of loungers. My other major concern, which a few people here had raised in the past few weeks, is the lack of shade. There are no umbrellas but no overhangs either at least in this section of the Retreat. There are two cabana-type seats but even they have slatted tops, not a full cover. Hopefully the other end of the Retreat has some shaded areas as I am not one of those that enjoys baking in the sun all day while at the pool.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sandy1975 said:

I don't have a suite but I was surprised to see how small the pool looks like. Maybe it is because the ratio of people to pool will be less than at the regular pool?

This is pretty standard for private suite areas. Pools in NCL’s Haven and MSC’s Yacht Club are small too.

I think all renderings tend to give a better impression than reality with regard to spaciousness and size. Be it for a hotel lobby, family living room, or even cruise ship pool deck. And professional photos of staterooms are done with wide angle lenses and lend to the same effect.

On the “shake down” cruise, the Retreat pool area did look quite busy, but I think there are plenty of nooks and crannies farther aft before the roof of the Solarium which will allow for other options, especially for those who are less inclined to favor the sun.

Lloyd, thank you for posting the videos. Question for you or for anyone else who may know:

How does the operator of the Magic Carpet prevent limbs from dangling off balconies while the structure is moving? From the video you shared via FB, it appears that from the videographer’s position he could easily reach his arm out and have it unceremoniously and forever separated from his body were he not careful.

Is the Magic Carpet not as close as it may seem to my untrained eyes?

Thanks.

37 minutes ago, jsea said:

Lloyd, thank you for posting the videos. Question for you or for anyone else who may know:

How does the operator of the Magic Carpet prevent limbs from dangling off balconies while the structure is moving? From the video you shared via FB, it appears that from the videographer’s position he could easily reach his arm out and have it unceremoniously and forever separated from his body were he not careful.

Is the Magic Carpet not as close as it may seem to my untrained eyes?

Thanks.

I think there is a gap between the balcony railing and the MC itself. These photos were posted on facebook; taken from a cabin on deck 9 immediately next to the MC. You will notice that the sides of the suites/MC area flare out so that it is even more of an obstruction for that row/column of cabins. It appears you look into the suite veranda a bit. The top deck just under the MC during the day might be quite dark... or shaded (from a more positive view). Oh and this is a Concierge cabin, so a relative premium cabin. The woman staying in it does not seem to mind however. To be honest. I have NEVER paid attention to the details of a cabin I got until I started studying this ship. Loved every one... even the ones with lifeboats. But when you are watching the ship under construction... you start to think of all these details and look for the optimal cabin. I am sure that if I had one of these I would still love the cruise and probably not be bothered by having half the view blocked.... but that said... not sure I would want to pay the high prices they are charging for this obstruction....

Screen Shot 2018-11-26 at 9.03.28 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-11-26 at 9.03.10 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-11-26 at 9.02.48 AM.png

• Thanks 1

B-roll is footage that typically is interwoven into a main video. There’s no “plot”, so to speak. Celebrity and other cruise lines often provide b-roll to the press 1) to make it easier for them to put together video stories and 2) to allow the best footage possible, often sans people, to make it in front of the consumer’s eyes. 

On the press cruise(s) the ship is full of humanity, and even the best videographer will have to contend with silverware not precisely placed, linens not perfectly pressed, and fellow passengers not donning distraction-free attire.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/B-roll

B-Roll is footage shot in addition to the primary reason of a video shoot. It extra footage that may be used at some point in time when you are looking for shots to use for some new purpose. An example may be a newscrew is doing a standup on location for a specific story that will be aired. The crew also goes around and shoots “B Roll” to have for other purposes at a later date.  It can also be used during the actual story that is aired to add interest to the story the reporter is covering. 

Edited by RICCruisers
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, jsea said:

B-roll is footage that typically is interwoven into a main video. There’s no “plot”, so to speak. Celebrity and other cruise lines often provide b-roll to the press 1) to make it easier for them to put together video stories and 2) to allow the best footage possible, often sans people, to make it in front of the consumer’s eyes. 

On the press cruise(s) the ship is full of humanity, and even the best videographer will have to contend with silverware not precisely placed, linens not perfectly pressed, and fellow passengers not donning distraction-free attire.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/B-roll

Thanks for that explanation.  Unfortunately for me, when I get on the Edge tomorrow, there will be a lot of people in my pics.  I might have to stay up very late or wake up very early to get shots without people.  But it is a lot easier to get photos without people than video. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, RICCruisers said:

B-Roll is footage shot in addition to the primary reason of a video shoot. It extra footage that may be used at some point in time when you are looking for shots to use for some new purpose. An example may be a newscrew is doing a standup on location for a specific story that will be aired. The crew also goes around and shoots “B Roll” to have for other purposes at a later date.  It can also be used during the actual story that is aired to add interest to the story the reporter is covering. 

Thank you also.  Very helpful.

19 minutes ago, MVPinBoynton said:

Thanks for that explanation.  Unfortunately for me, when I get on the Edge tomorrow, there will be a lot of people in my pics.  I might have to stay up very late or wake up very early to get shots without people.  But it is a lot easier to get photos without people than video. 

Well I, for one, enjoy both b-roll-style images and  more candid shots, as I think the latter help future cruisers understand what “real-world” issues they may want to consider prior to booking. Looking forward to your report and photos! Thank you in advance.