Star azipod propulsion problem

Circusboy354

What ports besides ko samui are being missed'?

Previous Itinerary.

Looks like no Ko Sumi or Bangkok or Ho Chi Minh...and no Nha Trang

Sun 11/12/16

Singapore / Singapore

18:00

Mon 12/12/16

At Sea

Tue 13/12/16

Koh Samui / Thailand

08:00

17:00

Wed 14/12/16

Laem Chabang / Thailand

Thu 15/12/16

Laem Chabang / Thailand

Fri 16/12/16

At Sea

Sat 17/12/16

Ho Chi Minh City / Vietnam

07:00

18:00

Sun 18/12/16

Nha Trang / Vietnam

10:00

19:00

Mon 19/12/16

At Sea

Tue 20/12/16

Sanya / China

Wed 21/12/16

At Sea

Thu 22/12/16

Hong Kong / China

07:00

Edited by aussie cruzer

I don't know what the original itinerary was, but this new one makes "dawdling" look like "ludicrous speed". No passage there will require more than 12-15 knots, so I'm wondering if they are proceeding with only one azipod. Star did this for several months back in 2004 in Hawaii, it really doesn't affect the seaworthiness or safety of the ship, just slows everything down.

46cfbfd16055002b949b942338dae106.jpg

Our new itinerary.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Lets hope tomorrow the ship will sail as scheduled. If they do this with one Azipod, are they going to use only this Azipod until they get back to USA? I hope not.

What time is the Ship leaving tomorrow again? Thanks

Edited by WaveSplasher

Lets hope tomorrow the ship will sail as scheduled. If they do this with one Azipod, are they going to use only this Azipod until they get back to USA? I hope not.

I will ask about plans when things calm down. We should leave at 3pm tomorrow.

That all depends on what the failure is. If it is an electrical problem, that is most likely in the variable frequency drive (the circuitry that takes the power from the generators and converts it so the azipod can run at variable speed), then this could be repaired as materials and time allow any time before heading back across the Pacific (don't know the schedule, assuming she is going Trans Pacific). If it is a mechanical problem in the pod, then that would likely require one pod until a drydocking.

That all depends on what the failure is. If it is an electrical problem, that is most likely in the variable frequency drive (the circuitry that takes the power from the generators and converts it so the azipod can run at variable speed), then this could be repaired as materials and time allow any time before heading back across the Pacific (don't know the schedule, assuming she is going Trans Pacific). If it is a mechanical problem in the pod, then that would likely require one pod until a drydocking.

i think she was due to head back to Europe via Middle East/Suez in late March

i think she was due to head back to Europe via Middle East/Suez in late March

Ah, lot closer ports, more shipyards available if needed, more chance for repair. Again, just speculating that they are operating on only one, maybe the posters onboard can give an idea if there are two wakes or just one.

Ah, lot closer ports, more shipyards available if needed, more chance for repair. Again, just speculating that they are operating on only one, maybe the posters onboard can give an idea if there are two wakes or just one.

We are still in Singapore so we can't tell that yet but they made it clear we will only be using one azipod.

I'm on the Dubai to Venice leg, departing March 27th. I know it may be too premature to understand the impact, but curious nonetheless. Please keep us posted & I hope that you can have a nice cruise regardless. The compensation sounds more than equitable.

I'm on this cruise and I'm amazed by the offer by NCL. Yes ports will be missed but I'm getting a free cruise to Hong Kong and then 50% credit towards a future cruise, I feel like I won the lotto. I'm glad I booked a DOS and will just enjoy more time at sea. I know maybe some will be disappointed but to me this is very fair compensation by NCL. I'm thinking since that this is their first Asian cruise and many flew in from North America they do not want a lot of negative press related to this.

DH and I are on the opposite itinerary (from HK to Singapore) on the 22nd. We've planned this trip to death, so I hope the ship is fixed for our cruise. That said, I think NCL's offer is generous, so if it happens to us, I think we'll "go with the flow"!

I don't know what the original itinerary was, but this new one makes "dawdling" look like "ludicrous speed". No passage there will require more than 12-15 knots, so I'm wondering if they are proceeding with only one azipod. Star did this for several months back in 2004 in Hawaii, it really doesn't affect the seaworthiness or safety of the ship, just slows everything down.

Sorry for the passengers on board about the slow boat to China, If it is an electrical problem on 1 azipod, does it need to be fixed in port (Hong Kong)? Any idea what they have been doing about the problem during the 2 day delay in Singapore?

Sorry for the passengers on board about the slow boat to China, If it is an electrical problem on 1 azipod, does it need to be fixed in port (Hong Kong)? Any idea what they have been doing about the problem during the 2 day delay in Singapore?

We're waiting on technicians from the manufacturer, they've been delayed and our departure has been pushed back tentatively until midnight. Passengers have to be back onboard by 9pm.

We're waiting on technicians from the manufacturer, they've been delayed and our departure has been pushed back tentatively until midnight. Passengers have to be back onboard by 9pm.

Thanks so much for the update. I hope you have been able to see some more of Singapore during the delay. Does it sound like the mfg technicians will be working on the problem while you sail?

Edited by herdingdogmom

This is bad :( Lets hope the ship will be able to get underway.

On another note: Singapore has drydock facilities if Norwegian wants to drydock her as soon as possible.

@chengkp75, Thanks for the information

Thanks so much for the update. I hope you have been able to see some more of Singapore during the delay. Does it sound like the mfg technicians will be working on the problem while you sail?

They are pretty determined that the ship will arrive in Hong Kong on time. It's my opinion that the itinerary will change again to make up for the delay today. As all passengers have been fully refunded I think making ports is a secondary concern, the ship is going to Hong Kong and we're just going along for the ride. In my opinion that's fair enough.

My speculation is that the problem is serious and there will be no short term fix, the ship will continue the next few cruises at a slower pace - this is only my speculation.

This is bad :( Lets hope the ship will be able to get underway.

On another note: Singapore has drydock facilities if Norwegian wants to drydock her as soon as possible.

@chengkp75, Thanks for the information

After Hong Kong she returns to Singapore so that may be an option. Availability of drydock facilities could be challenging at the last minute though.

We just got back from Hong Kong, no cruise, but the 11 & 14 hour plane rides are not fun to put up with, but this is non stop from Seattle, rougher for longer flights.

We were considering this cruise in the future, sounds like folks got a free cruise, but there is the costs there and back, hotels, and I know you missed on important ports. So it has to be frustrating.

Good luck. :eek:

We just got back from Hong Kong, no cruise, but the 11 & 14 hour plane rides are not fun to put up with, but this is non stop from Seattle, rougher for longer flights.

We were considering this cruise in the future, sounds like folks got a free cruise, but there is the costs there and back, hotels, and I know you missed on important ports. So it has to be frustrating.

Good luck. :eek:

I'm on the sailing going out on the 5th January. Personally I'd be fine. You still get to be on the ship, extra time to sightsee in Singapore and with the refund from the cruiseline I could put it towards another cruise. Not the cruise I planned, but I guess travelling teaches us to be flexible.

For my cruise-if the cruise line cancels I'm assuming it would be a total refund, my plane flights are able to be changed and used at a later date. My hotel at this stage has free cancellation, so it would just be the flight change/cancellation fees I'm out of pocket. I do have travel insurance. Yes I'll be disappointed, but I'll just book another cruise.

I'm on the sailing going out on the 5th January. Personally I'd be fine. You still get to be on the ship, extra time to sightsee in Singapore and with the refund from the cruiseline I could put it towards another cruise. Not the cruise I planned, but I guess travelling teaches us to be flexible.

For my cruise-if the cruise line cancels I'm assuming it would be a total refund, my plane flights are able to be changed and used at a later date. My hotel at this stage has free cancellation, so it would just be the flight change/cancellation fees I'm out of pocket. I do have travel insurance. Yes I'll be disappointed, but I'll just book another cruise.

Exactly, anyone who is onboard and not happy about missing the Thai ports can leave the ship and use the refund to book flights and hotels in Thailand before flying to HK for their flight home without being out of pocket. Flights are cheap here, even last minute.

Personally skipping the Thai ports isn't important to me but I can understand others being very disappointed but there are options.

Exactly, anyone who is onboard and not happy about missing the Thai ports can leave the ship and use the refund to book flights and hotels in Thailand before flying to HK for their flight home without being out of pocket. Flights are cheap here, even last minute.

Personally skipping the Thai ports isn't important to me but I can understand others being very disappointed but there are options.

Enjoy your mystery cruise.;) What's the general attitude like onboard?

It varies, some people are like us just going with the flow, I've heard others complain about everything, shouting that they should get a free drink package and unlimited internet.

Some people demand so much.