***Important Cruise Tips***

Jamericannn

There have been many posts about what to bring, how to dress, how to get discounts etc on cruise ships but I haven't seen any recently about some tips which I think are very important. I will start by adding an example and would like you all to chime in and give examples as well.

1. A friend of mine recently came off a cruise which he got hurt after he slipped coming down the stairs to the Lido deck. He went to the ship's medical center and got treated but was charged for it. When he was trying to reclaim some of the expense from his insurance, he had nothing to prove to them that these expenses occurred while he was on the cruise. Fortunately, he did get something from carnival (I believe an email - not sure) to prove he was charged for the service. However, it took him almost two months of back and forth to get everything together. This could all have been avoided if he ensured he received the proper paperwork before he left the MC.

I hope no one gets hurt on a cruise but I want you to be mindful that if it happens, make sure you get signed documents before leaving the ship.

Before anyone goes off on me this is just a question for the OP, if your friend was injured by a slip and fall while onboard the ship why would he be charged for medical treatment. Would that not be the ships responsibility to take care of?:confused:

There are myriad things/situations that could cause a person to slip and fall. Ifthere was a wet surface which did not have a warning sign, then the ship might comp the treatment. but if the area did have a caution sign, or the slip was caused by some other situation then the ship will charge. EM

Before anyone goes off on me this is just a question for the OP, if your friend was injured by a slip and fall while onboard the ship why would he be charged for medical treatment. Would that not be the ships responsibility to take care of?:confused:

I doubt anyone is going to go off on you :). That's the same thing I was wondering. He stated that Carnival bills you if you do go to see a physician and do not have vacation protection.

Someone told me that he should be able to get back whatever he paid if he can prove it was something like wet floor which would have been the ship's fault. Something I quite honestly don't know too much about and never give any consideration. I just go for the fun and not think about negative things such as getting hurt.

On one of our cruises my mother was shoved in the comedy club by someone trying to get a chair, she fell over a seat and went to the medical clinic the next morning. At first they said there would be a charge, but when we said she had fallen in the club they said for accidents on the ship there was no charge. This was on the Magic a couple of years ago. Don't know why this wouldn't apply to any accident on board.

I doubt anyone is going to go off on you :). That's the same thing I was wondering. He stated that Carnival bills you if you do go to see a physician and do not have vacation protection.

CARNIVAL (LIKE ALL CRUISE LINES ) WILL BILL YOU FOR ANY MEDICAL SERVICES RECEIVED WHETHER YOU HAVE INSURANCE OR NOT -- EVEN THEIR OWN.

#1 cause of "slips and falls" on a moving ship --alcohol. Cameras are everywhere in the public areas so the ship's staff usually knows what happened. If the ship comps the medical treatment there's a reason.