What is a Gurkha?

see sic

I was reading some other cruise line boards about the Seabourne

cruises incident off the coast of Africa, and one writer mentioned

in his post---"We had Gurkhas on our RSSC Mariner cruise."

What is a Gurkha please?

The Victoria Cross (VC) is the very highest award given to British servicemen for gallantry and devotion to duty in the field.

Gurkhas are mostly smaller than average height males. In world war one the regiment gained more VC's than any one single army unit of the British army, and fighting far from home - in France.

In WWW2 they were our bravest troops in the 14th. army of Gen. Lord Mountbatten , beating back the Japs in Burma.

If any world traveller is lucky enough to see the Edinburgh Tatoo, in summer, the Gurkhas always are part of the parade. They march in quick step.

You know, you can learn so much about all sorts of things on this

site besides cruising. Especially on the RSSC board. I wish I had the

chance to meet in person all the friendly, knowledgeable and well-travelled people who frequent this board. thanks!

Neviboy,

More than the 24th Regiment of Foot at Rorke's Rift?? 11 were awarded for the engagement of 22-23 January 1879. Specifically, Victoria Crosses were awarded to:

Lt. Chard, Lt. Bromhead, Surgeon-Major Reynolds, Commissary Dalton, Cpl. Allan, Pvt. Hitch, Pvt. Hook, Pvt. W. Jones, Pvt. R. Jones, Cpl. Scheiss, & Pvt. John Williams. All except Chard (Royal Engineers) were members of the 24th Foot (I think).

Greg

The famous stand at Rorke's Drift, depicted in the excellent movie "Zulu" (1964), which was Michael Caine's debut, resulted in the most VC's in a SINGLE ENGAGEMENT. The Gurkhas won their higher total for their bravery during several battles.

Perhaps the U.N. should purchase the Diamond, fit it with hidden three-inch naval rifles, and sail into Somalian waters as a kind of latter-day Q-ship...

Even more interesting info here than when I "googled" it many moons ago, realizing RSSC (and other lines), employ these men! You can sometimes identify them by a pin that they wear, I guess it is the traditional sword?

They are VERY serious security men in their demeanor on the ship. I am almost intimidated by their presence when they swipe my card in and out of the ship. But I feel VERY safe and secure knowing that our safety is in our hands. They are thinking far deeper and further than some of the comments would suggest over at the Silversea board re: what is safe cruising ground and what is not, and how to plan for it. Not to say that all comments aren't relevent. I just feel secure that professionals are in charge, and I'm sure we will never know all that they have planned for.

I posted the Gurkha comment on the Seabourne board and have just got home from work. I'm happy to see so many other cruisers know about the subject. I saw the Gurkhas on the Mariner and Googled the subject after the Spirit incident. As I mentioned on Seabourne (though I get the impression I was poo pooed by other posters) the London Daily Mirror,following 9/11, had a story about Cunard and other lines hiring Gurkhas and retired navy special forces people to work on the ships. The article pointed out that not all of them are obvious security and work undercover so,if anything happens onboard,a regualr appearing crewmmember can turn out to be a trained commando. I also stand by my supposition that there must be arms lockers on the ships for these people to use in the event they need weapons and that they were not used on Spirit to avoid escalating the incident into a firefight. A Seabourne poster thought I was all wet. Anyone out there know anything one way or the other?

Hvsteve1, thank you for your comments. I have been monitoring the Seabourn board, and the dialalogue there just went downhill, last thread about the incident being closed down because of caustic posts. I think I am reasonable in my comments, but responses to my posts were just too defensive and argumentative rather than a collaberative sharing of opinions.

And way too much discussion about Seabourn cheerleaders vs. others who have never cruised the line. Maybe here we can be a little more civil and neutral?

By the way, love to see when those Gurkha guys are aboard! I really respect their professionalism and their specialized knowlege of situations with which we can't even think of knowing how to react.

I agree with you that there are other "unknown" avenues (arms lockers or whatever) that are available to security personnel. No need to start a fire fight that may endanger pax if you can just get away and keep everyone safe. This is not a war, after all. We may not need to be told all these things publicly in order to keep the info away from possible pirates/terrorists. I am convinced that there is way more planning in place for this sort of thing than we know about. If the Gurka's are involved, hopefully they are part of the planning.

Archived