Limits on multi non-alcoholic beverages w/cheers

heffa72

So I know there's a 5 min waiting period between alcoholic beverages with Cheers. If I wanted to get a beer and water at the same time is that possible since one of my beverages is non-alcoholic? Or a beer and soda at the same time? Just wasn't sure if the 5 min waiting rule is between any type of drink. I like to drink water along with my booze to lessen the hangover. ;-)

I'm sure it is one of those "it depends." I will say that I've had bartenders give me a water with my drink many times on different ships, so this may be fairly common. In reference to other non-alcoholic beverages, other than bottled water, I think you may have more problems. Then again, if you visit one bartender numerous times, they will let things slide if they're sure you're not sharing.

The strangest thing I keep running into with CHEERS is asking for top shelf liquor in some of their "pre-programed" drinks. On some ships (the Magic and Breeze for me) I could never get any bartender to give me Grey Goose in the place of Skye when ordering a drink like the cruiser. It was so weird because it wasn't like it was a pre-mixed drink - I mean you sit & watch them pour the vodka in, so what's the big deal. But, like I said, anytime I asked on at least those 2 ships, I'd get the "we can't substitute set recipe drinks." I'm not the type to get really upset & demand to see a supervisor or anything (I know some people are), so I'd just let it slide.

Now on the Paradise, two different bartenders had to ask their supervisors and they were told they could substitute. It's just really odd. The only time there was no question was when ordering things like a screw driver or salty dog.

I'm sure it is one of those "it depends." I will say that I've had bartenders give me a water with my drink many times on different ships, so this may be fairly common. In reference to other non-alcoholic beverages, other than bottled water, I think you may have more problems. Then again, if you visit one bartender numerous times, they will let things slide if they're sure you're not sharing.

The strangest thing I keep running into with CHEERS is asking for top shelf liquor in some of their "pre-programed" drinks. On some ships (the Magic and Breeze for me) I could never get any bartender to give me Grey Goose in the place of Skye when ordering a drink like the cruiser. It was so weird because it wasn't like it was a pre-mixed drink - I mean you sit & watch them pour the vodka in, so what's the big deal. But, like I said, anytime I asked on at least those 2 ships, I'd get the "we can't substitute set recipe drinks." I'm not the type to get really upset & demand to see a supervisor or anything (I know some people are), so I'd just let it slide.

Now on the Paradise, two different bartenders had to ask their supervisors and they were told they could substitute. It's just really odd. The only time there was no question was when ordering things like a screw driver or salty dog.

Good to know...and that IS strange. I would think you have the right to put whatever liquor you want in your drink.

As silly as it seems it can be the same way on land, adjusting/upselling specialty drinks if the computer doesn't allow an additional prompt to chose what vodka etc the guest requests. Most of the times the keys used for specialty drinks are simply pre-set to account for exactly how many ounces of each alcohol/liqueur/mixer is used for that recipe. So using grey goose in place of the skyy for a guest in excess shows up on inventory as if someone is stealing/overpouring. And if the bartender decides to ring up the specialty drink as single shot of grey goose then say the peach schnapps, triple sec or whatever additional liqueur is used isn't accounted for. Its one of those "Stupid Computer!" moments. :D

I was under the impression that the computer would not allow bartender/attendant to swipe the card more than once in 5 min. I only say this, because I went to pick up 2 specialty coffees one morning for DH and I, and the attendant said I would have to wait 5 min. She did however go ahead and make the second coffee, but when she went to swipe the card after what seemed like 5 minutes. The machine would not except the card. A couple of minutes later, she tried again, printed off the receipt and I signed for it.

Another thing with the 5 minute rule, be careful if you get a drink from a non bar location, we got sodo with our lunch right at the sea side BBQ. I tried to get a mixed drink at least a half hour later but they must have just put the sofa through from lunch because the bartender had to wait a few minutes before he could swipe my card, but he did make and give me the drink while holding onto my card.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

So here's another question....

We're travelling with my mom and mother in law. They're not big drinkers and therefore aren't getting the package. I will want to buy them a bottle of wine while on board at dinner. How exactly does that work? I know you get 25% discount on bottles of wine, but...

a) I'm assuming that will not count towards my 15 total b/c I'm paying for the bottle, right?

and ....

b) there are no rules on "sharing" that bottle or any other beverage I purchase vs include in my package

lastly....

c) Can I ask specifically to buy a round of drinks for others and not have any go against my 15? I've read if you by, lets say, 4 beers (or a bucket of beer) they'll apply the first 1 to you, the rest you pay for. If I'm buying for 4 specific people, will they allow me to charge all 4 beers vs apply 1 to my 15 count?

I know this sounds stupid, but there will be some folks we'll want to buy drinks for and I've heard that once you hit 15, your shut off. If I'm buying them for others and not drinking them myself, I certainly don't want to be shut off before the end of the night!