'Twas the Week Before Christmas - Live from the Eurodam

POA1

16 hours ago, Littleribbie said:

OMGosh...the belly laughs on this thread...saving 15% on Geico would not have made me pee my pants more. So glad you trust your wife and thrilled to hear the robes are not actually made from waffles.Love the details you shared about the cabanas. It appears you are a much more savy cruiser than myself and Im hoping you can help me. Im ready to pull the trigger on a 22 day Koningsdam: Ft. Lauderdale to Rome and have never experienced cabana living...if you were to look at the cabana layout (from your graciously shared brochure) which cabana would you choose on the Koningsdam. We would not need the family size but do want to be able to see the water without being an obstructed view. I know this would only be your preference and can you tell me how late in the day they are open....after dark? light? thinking of early evening reading not 2 old folks rocking the boat late night. Again, thank you so much for taking the time to post such an incredible review

Glad you liked the thread. We're gearing up for a repeat on the Zuiderdam in two weeks. The ocean-facing cabana look directly out the side, through a glass wall. The aft facing ones look out over the Lido pool roof. We prefer those for the the air flow. They're not really obstructed, per se, but the Tamarind is in your field of view, halfway back on the ship. 

Let me take a look at the Koningsdam cabana diagram and I'll get back to you. 

@Littleribbie- Here are the cabanas we'd pick. The ones outlined in blue would be if we wanted ocean-facing. The ones outlined in orange would be lido pool facing.  As a rule, we like to keep a buffer between ourselves and (1) the open spaces/corners and (2) the family cabanas. We've never run into any rowdy families, but we prefer to err on the size of caution.

kdam-canbana-suggest.jpg.50ae5e630fbf3a99289b57eb76c8b4f7.jpg

2 minutes ago, POA1 said:

@Littleribbie- Here are the cabanas we'd pick. The ones outlined in blue would be if we wanted ocean-facing. The ones outlined in orange would be lido pool facing.  As a rule, we like to keep a buffer between ourselves and (1) the open spaces/corners and (2) the family cabanas. We've never run into any rowdy families, but we prefer to err on the size of caution.

OMgosh, thank you for taking the time....Im thinking the "blue" ocean facing...still not sure as I mentioned in another thread they want $1087 for the 22 days...yet Ive heard they are much smaller than other cabanas. a lot to consider...thank you for sharing

2 minutes ago, Littleribbie said:

OMgosh, thank you for taking the time....Im thinking the "blue" ocean facing...still not sure as I mentioned in another thread they want $1087 for the 22 days...yet Ive heard they are much smaller than other cabanas. a lot to consider...thank you for sharing

They are smaller than one ones on the Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam. They're also set up a bit differently.  We've never been on the Koningsdam. You may want to do a photo search for them. From what I've read, there's more space dedicated to the common area and a little less to each individual cabana. The K'dam has 22, while the other ships have as few as 14.

1 hour ago, Littleribbie said:

I mentioned in another thread they want $1087 for the 22 days

Is the $1,087 for a family cabana or a regular one?  The most recent pricing I've seen - and the prices that were in effect this year when we reserved ours is $699 for up to 20 days. Even if you added two standalone sea days at $85/day, you'd still be at only $869.

15 minutes ago, POA1 said:

Is the $1,087 for a family cabana or a regular one?  The most recent pricing I've seen - and the prices that were in effect this year when we reserved ours is $699 for up to 20 days. Even if you added two standalone sea days at $85/day, you'd still be at only $869.

That is what I thought too..$699.00/regular!! I was surprised when he said 1087 and when I asked him he said "Im reading it right here"....think I will call again and double check. I didn't have my previous notes in front of me so I thought perhaps it was an older reference sheet I was looking at....and prices had gone up. Thank you for keeping me on my toes....I'll post what the next person tells me...hopefully 869 at the most. Thanks again

1 minute ago, Littleribbie said:

That is what I thought too..$699.00/regular!! I was surprised when he said 1087 and when I asked him he said "Im reading it right here"....think I will call again and double check. I didn't have my previous notes in front of me so I thought perhaps it was an older reference sheet I was looking at....and prices had gone up. Thank you for keeping me on my toes....I'll post what the next person tells me...hopefully 869 at the most. Thanks again

$1,087 sound like the Family cabana, since it's $999 for up to 20 days.  The $1,087 is somewhere in the neighborhood of $200/day incremental above the 20 day cost. Either way, have them send you the data sheet. As far as I know, the prices went up in 2017, but have not increased since.

• Like 1

We will be on Nieuw Statendam next Wednesday, and I was interested to see the Retreat from the K.  I think we will be just about under cabana 21 or 22.  Just hoping that they will not be too popular on a TA in December!   I can go up and take some pictures, if you like.

3 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

We will be on Nieuw Statendam next Wednesday, and I was interested to see the Retreat from the K.  I think we will be just about under cabana 21 or 22.  Just hoping that they will not be too popular on a TA in December!   I can go up and take some pictures, if you like.

@Vict0riann If you are nice about it, and quick, they'll probably let you in to take photos, especially in the morning or after 5 pm. Depending on the ship's layout, you might be able to get good photos from the deck above or on the stairs. People will be very interested in the interior shots of the regular and family cabanas based on my experience. 

55 minutes ago, POA1 said:

@Vict0riann If you are nice about it, and quick, they'll probably let you in to take photos, especially in the morning or after 5 pm. Depending on the ship's layout, you might be able to get good photos from the deck above or on the stairs. People will be very interested in the interior shots of the regular and family cabanas based on my experience. 

As we are on the 11th deck, I thought I would hop up there as soon as we have dumped our carry-ons, and see if I can get a peek and photos, before they even know I'm there!:classic_cool:

7 hours ago, POA1 said:

Of course, if you took a "Family" cabana, you'd have the best of all possible worlds, right?

On 12/1/2018 at 9:56 AM, Littleribbie said:

In the thread about the Nieuw Statendam's inaugural voyage by @Vict0riannand @scluvsrain, Sherita took some pictures from the retreat area. It's a similar set up, so this may help.