san juan-virgin islands

ballantraefrank

Last year the only way to set foot on VG was with an excursion. Maybe they have loosened that restriction this year. It was frustrating as we love that island and had great plans for our day.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Recent phone call, Windstar told me must take shore excursion. Tenders only go to Prickly Pear Isle. The sailing catamaran excursion doesn't list specifically which beaches/snorkeling area it goes, likely varies by sea conditions, but mentions granite boulders. Other VG beaches than the Baths have similar boulders. We are planning to take that excursion.

• 4 weeks later...

Just spotted this thread.

We are leaving on Star Legend next Sat, I have 14 on this cruise and was planning a DIY to the baths as we went there last year from Tortola but are they truly NOT allowing us to tender ashore and do our own thing???:cool:

We were just on the legend. The refers only go to virgin gorda got ship tours.

Otherwise you can only go to prickly pear for the beach BBQ.

On our 12/9 Yachtsman/Windsurf cruise, we had the BBQ at Fischer Cove, Spanish Town instead of Prickly Pear. It was pretty nice there, but I heard from others that Prickly Pear was much better. Not sure of the reasons why, but some were that Windstar was no longer permitted to go to Prickly Pear.

Just wanted to let you know.

wondering at virgin gorda stop if there is a way to get to the baths without taking a bus trip. we have booked the baths excursion with windstar but would rather a private one or a snorkeling trip that stops at the baths.

Short answer: Still No. The tenders will take passengers only to Prickly Pear Isle...that is, IF the weather allows a stop there. On the 1/7 sailing, it did not.

Must take the ship excursion to get to Virgin Gorda and Baths.

Winds were high and ocean rough this past Friday, and as you will see on other cruise reviews, the captain had to skip Prickly Pear and the beach experience completely. Tricky approach even in good weather.

We docked at Roadtown Tortola instead. Only a land tour of island was offered as the beaches were too rough and closed. We took it to use our OBC, as our VG Sail and Snorkle had been refunded. * It did remind me why I avoid ship bus tours of any port. :rolleyes:

Exception this trip was the Montserrat Island Tours booked privately, very good..we had David, Sun's father as driver.

Edited by Janet987

Short answer: Still No. The tenders will take passengers only to Prickly Pear Isle...that is, IF the weather allows a stop there. On the 1/7 sailing, it did not.

Must take the ship excursion to get to Virgin Gorda and Baths.

Winds were high and ocean rough this past Friday, and as you will see on other cruise reviews, the captain had to skip Prickly Pear and the beach experience completely. Tricky approach even in good weather.

We docked at Roadtown Tortola instead. Only a land tour of island was offered as the beaches were too rough and closed. We took it to use our OBC, as had Sail and Snorkle refunded. * It did remind me why I avoid ship bus tours of any port. :rolleyes:

Exception this trip was the Montserrat Island Tours booked privately, very good..we had David, Sun's father as driver.

Glad you were able to see Montserrat. Sun's father must be a really interesting man. Lucky you! Too bad about the high seas but that happens. We missed two scheduled ports in France this year because of wind.

Edited by sb44

They generally start around 11 but you can go over earlier. The ship still has food and drinks available onboard. We've done the itinerary several times and usually run back and forth on the tenders.

So I called Windstar to inquire if we are able to go ashore to enjoy the island on our own and they said yes...I asked a couple of ways and they said absolutely...I have 14 in my group and was planning to take them to the baths (those that didn't go last year) so hoping I can pull this off...

I'll try to remember to post results either way!

That would be interesting if you did. Let us know ::confused: hope you at least get to the beach. Myron (our voyage leader, aka cruise director) took pains to explain that the only way to visit VG itself, and not just Prickly Pear Island, would be by excursion.

Wanted to add that the excursions all started at 8:30 so you can do ship's excursions and not miss any of the food and fun promised at the "beach experience".

Since Windstar has plied all these ports for decades, the last minute alternate shore excursion at Roadtown was surprisingly poor quality. There were taxis with better equipment idled at the port, if you end up there walk off and find a newer jitney, with a speaker that works, on your own.

Edited by Janet987

Last year we docked in Tortola (bigger ship)

We walked over to the marina, hired two boats to take us to Virgin Gorda for $25 each (I think) and when we arrived at Virgin Gorda took a taxi (or they took us) to the top of the baths...we did it ourselves had an awesome time.

I'm used to the cruise lines telling us the only way is using their services...have always gone against the tide...isn't that the benefit of being on here..to get that info?:rolleyes:

So I called Windstar to inquire if we are able to go ashore to enjoy the island on our own and they said yes...I asked a couple of ways and they said absolutely...I have 14 in my group and was planning to take them to the baths (those that didn't go last year) so hoping I can pull this off...

Would love to hear if you were able to! Have fun!! I still have to wait 2 months.

We docked in Prickly Pair in the spring of 2014 back when the Windsurf stopped there on the Yachtsman Carribbean itinerary. Although we did not go to the baths ourselves that trip (we had previously been on a non-cruise trip) there was a group we were friendly with that successfully got to the baths and did not go on the Windstar excursion (which was fully booked). They took the windstar tender over to the Bitter End Yacht Club where they hired a boat that morning for the day to take them to the baths and back (as opposed to hiring a taxi). It ended up being a great day and experience for them, but it probably is only economical if you have several people going together. The prickly pear area is almost like it's own island; you can't take a taxi from there (i.e., where the tender drops you off) to the part of the island where the baths are.

Hi! I was just checking to see if you were able to go on your own..... :)

Sorry.

Not

Nope, I even talked to the guy in charge of activities on this ship. It's actually a different part of the island and prickly pear is the only place that tenders will go. It's totally secluded but we did go there and have a wonderful day! The food was incredible, they brought all the water goodies with them and set up some really nice sheltered lounge chairs on the beach. So, we'll just have to go back again on another ship to do the baths!

That would be interesting if you did. Let us know ::confused: hope you at least get to the beach. Myron (our voyage leader, aka cruise director) took pains to explain that the only way to visit VG itself, and not just Prickly Pear Island, would be by excursion.

Wanted to add that the excursions all started at 8:30 so you can do ship's excursions and not miss any of the food and fun promised at the "beach experience".

Since Windstar has plied all these ports for decades, the last minute alternate shore excursion at Roadtown was surprisingly poor quality. There were taxis with better equipment idled at the port, if you end up there walk off and find a newer jitney, with a speaker that works, on your own.

You are aware the baths are just a couple miles from where they are having the BarbQ this year.

I noticed that Prickly Pear National Park is on the North Sound. We have been to the Baths twice by water so we would like to see a bit of the island and walk down to them this time. I guess we will need to book the "Highlights and Bath Tour." Hopefully, they won't pack us like sardines in the van or bus. :cool: Since it is only 4 hours long, we will still have time to spend at Prickly Pear. Please report back Tugboat - we still have 50 days.