easy1969

Self inflicted bad experience

No, you would not have gotten on the flight to get there. :)

Unless of course something happens to the passport between the flight and the cruise.

Unless of course something happens to the passport between the flight and the cruise.

I cruised with someone whose passport was lost in transit. Fortunately, after a frantic few hours the airline called to say that cabin crew had turned in the document to ground staff before the aircraft left on its next flight.

If you don't have a passport' date=' you need govt. Issued ID and a birth certificate. He apparently didn't have the birth certificate with him, and forgot his passport.

I am anal about my passport. Everything else can be managed. Without my passport, the entire trip comes to a dead stop. I rarely cruise from US ports anymore, so I would be stuck at the pier in Buenos Aires, or Reykjavik, or wherever the cruise was embarking from.[/quote']

And they drove to Tampa without his driver's license as well?

I always bring my passport on my cruises, and I'll take it with me when I'm off in port on an independent tour or on my own. It's just that for most closed loop Caribbean tours a passport while highly recommended is not mandatory yet. As you state, a Gov't issued photo ID will do. I even produced my County Gov't Senor pass photo card once!

Sure, someone can forget a passport, but if they bring their wallet, and the OP's post doesn't say this guy forgot that too, one should have appropriate ID to board a ship.

Edited by evandbob

I have a big red zippered folder that everything important goes into, from passports, to boarding passes, to excursion information printouts..and everything in between.

It's one step away from being chained to my wrist from the moment we get in the car in the driveway until the moment it goes into the safe in our stateroom. It pretty much doesn't leave our sight - seeing as how we are from outside the USA, losing (or forgetting) our passports would be the end of our vacation.

Mmmmmmm...I like the idea of the zippered folder! We actually have one that we rarely use for anything else but I haven't been able to bring myself to throw it away! How convenient to be able to put EVERYTHING in there and just unzip it and know it's all there and can't fall out or fall into the bottom of my carry on!

Mmmmmmm...I like the idea of the zippered folder!

It works. My wife (who’s a little more lackadaisical about things) thinks I’m a little bit crazy about how I treat it like an attache briefcase full of government secrets when we are on vacation, but given all the horror stories I’ve read here about people who were denied boarding or had their vacation ruined because of paperwork issues, I’m a little bit crazy about the “Red Folder” until we are safely settled in our stateroom. ;)

I even picked red specifically in case it ever got lost or misplaced - it stands out. And zippered so that if we accidentally drop it or sit it somewhere nothing spills out and we don’t discover until hours later that some critical piece of paperwork slid out or is missing without us noticing.

It works. My wife (who’s a little more lackadaisical about things) thinks I’m a little bit crazy about how I treat it like an attache briefcase full of government secrets when we are on vacation, but given all the horror stories I’ve read here about people who were denied boarding or had their vacation ruined because of paperwork issues, I’m a little bit crazy about the “Red Folder” until we are safely settled in our stateroom. ;)

I even picked red specifically in case it ever got lost or misplaced - it stands out. And zippered so that if we accidentally drop it or sit it somewhere nothing spills out and we don’t discover until hours later that some critical piece of paperwork slid out or is missing without us noticing.

Nope, I don't think it's crazy at all! I'm the same way! Confirmation numbers and paper copies of things we've paid for are always in my folder. It's just a few sheets of paper, and if it saves me ONCE because something got lost in a computer system, or makes a company do the right thing, it's worth it! I'm changing everything over from the binder on our desk to the zippered binder as soon as I get home today! lol

We did the same thing (mine was bright orange) for our first Med cruise. I had sticky tabs on each for hotel,excursions, etc. and had them in chronological order so that what I needed next was what ended up on top. I STILL did a backup by scanning everything and e-mailing it to myself...just in case. We sorted everything out once on the ship and since the private tour guides we had booked wanted us to pay at the end of each tour with Euros, we put each excursion in a separate zip lock with the cash + tip for each day, and confirmation with phone numbers, used a sharpie to write the day, tour/port on the outside. All of this went into the safe. All we had to do was grab the zip lock bag. No scrambling around each morning. End of the cruise, we had our post-cruise hotel and transportation info ready to grab and go. Also, we had our airline confirmation,car keys and our parking information inside this zippered bag/folder for when we got back home to the airport.

On our Saudi project in the 1980s, a guy went home to Montreal for an R&R visit; arriving back in Riyadh, (having boarded a plane in Montreal, and having changed planes in Paris), it turned out that he was carrying his wife's passport! (How he got that far is a mystery.)

He was shipped back to Paris on the same plane, and had to sit in CDG until his own passport was couriered from Montreal.

Excrement occurs.

And they drove to Tampa without his driver's license as well?

I always bring my passport on my cruises, and I'll take it with me when I'm off in port on an independent tour or on my own. It's just that for most closed loop Caribbean tours a passport while highly recommended is not mandatory yet. As you state, a Gov't issued photo ID will do. I even produced my County Gov't Senor pass photo card once!

Sure, someone can forget a passport, but if they bring their wallet, and the OP's post doesn't say this guy forgot that too, one should have appropriate ID to board a ship.

Except how many people carry their birth certificate?

The requirement is Gov issued photo ID, PLUS proof of citizenship.

I didn't even know having a picture of it would work as well. I'm going to do that immediately!

I always scan our passports, email a copy to my daughters and to myself, and bring a copy along, just in case. I figure if I'm prepared, nothing will go wrong.

Except how many people carry their birth certificate?

The requirement is Gov issued photo ID, PLUS proof of citizenship.

All it takes is a copy of one on a phone or the cloud that can be printed out.

All it takes is a copy of one on a phone or the cloud that can be printed out.

Exactly. I scanned my birth certificate, my husband's birth certificate, my passport, and my husband's passport and saved the scans to my phone. These can be emailed and printed at any time.

I always scan our passports, email a copy to my daughters and to myself, and bring a copy along, just in case. I figure if I'm prepared, nothing will go wrong.

Your fault we now have a new best practice!

You need proof of citizenship AND government ID. Having a driver's license does not make you an American citizen. "Acceptable proof of citizenship includes an original or certified copy of a government issued birth certificate (raised seal and signature) and a laminated government issued picture ID (typically, driver's license), Consular Report of Born Abroad Certificate, or a Certificate of Naturalization."

Edited by caitlyn20

We almost had this experience. Hubby and I were headed to Mexico. We had an early flight, so were spending the night at the airport two hours from home.

The morning before heading to the airport, I had to pull the passports out of our safe to fill out boarding passes. Instead of putting my husband's back in his travel wallet, I laid it on top. As we were leaving for the airport, we did a check to make sure we had everything. He saw the travel wallet and assumed his passport was inside. We got to the hotel at 10:00 pm and he did another check and discovered his passport was NOT in his wallet.

We made the 4 hour round trip in total silence. He being mad at me for not putting it back where he had it. Me being mad at him because I ASKED if he had it and he said "yes" without actually looking.

Lesson learned. Now when we are ready to go, we put everything in the car and before driving away pull out our passport and make sure it is actually ours AND it isn't expired.

For the people emailing themselves documents, be sure to save a copy of those documents on your phone.

If you’re without cell service, you’ll still have them. Or just take a photo.

You need proof of citizenship AND government ID. Having a driver's license does not make you an American citizen. "Acceptable proof of citizenship includes an original or certified copy of a government issued birth certificate (raised seal and signature) and a laminated government issued picture ID (typically, driver's license), Consular Report of Born Abroad Certificate, or a Certificate of Naturalization."

No idea what is being quoted but it does not strike me as something from an official government source. There are jurisdictions that issue official birth certificates without a raised seal. Lamination does not make a photo id official.

Not all official birth certificates from all states have a raised seal anymore. We learned that the first time one of my Grandson's friends sailed with us.

My parents first cruise through Panama Canal. My dad had the carry-on, unzipped, with the passports. Mom told him to close it but he didn't. They go to check in and her passport is gone! Found the cab, nothing. Looked all over the dock, nothing. They did have a photocopy which they were eventually allowed to use to board the ship. Two hours later, after several calls to me in Canada to contact the Canadian Embassy in Mexico City, someone found the passport and brought it to the ship. We have yet to let my father forget this! A photocopy is better than nothing.

Plan EARLY!

I don't have a copy of my birth certificate. I think my parents just have the hospital version, which isn't acceptable for travel and stuff. If they still have it. The county I was born in requires you to come in person. I should probably get it, but it's an incredible hassle. If I were to try and get it now, it would probably take a good couple of months, including an airplane flight, to go get it.

Luckily, I've had a passport since I was a little kid and I've NEVER let it lapse. I didn't have a SS card either until very recently (at least they let you order online). Used my passport as proof of citizenship and jobs and stuff for decades. That sucker either stays in my safe deposit box or when I have a trip, then it's practically physically on me at all times.

I have both a passport book AND a passport card. The passport book is in a safe place, while the passport card goes with me everywhere. My driver's license is not ReadID compliant, so my passport card will come in handy starting October 20th for domestic flights.

A tip I got from my dad who was in the military for nearly 30 years. It works for me.

My final packing check for the last 30 years is very small.

Passport, tickets, documentation, credit cards, cash.

Anything I've forgotten I don't worry about because if it's vital I can buy it. Yes, I forget things. No, it's never been a real problem.

That's about right.

In this day and age, I would add mobile phone, charger and adapter.

Ouch.. I could imagine how awkward that drive home would be. Right after I booked our first cruise a few months ago my wife went in to mom planning mode and created a binder and put everything including our passports in it.

Great idea!

Anyone else that would have left him and went alone?

Meet a couple once sitting by the handicapped door to board. He thought he had his passport until they got to check in. He forgot it and their drive home was too long to go get it. They had checked all their luggage but don't know what happened about that and they were experienced cruisers. My husband always just has our birth certificates in his wallet if need be.

In this day and age, I would add mobile phone, charger and adapter.

To be fair, it'd be fairly easy to find a charger or adapter as well so even if you forgot those, it wouldn't be a big deal. Phones nowadays use basically one of two chargers: Lightning or USB.

My husband always just has our birth certificates in his wallet if need be.

Wow, how fat is his wallet?

We also have a zippered pouch for travel documents and info, thanks Viking. We triple check everything before we leave the house. We always carry a paper copy of our passports with us also.

In addition, I have a copy of passports, driver's license, itinerary, etc. on our laptop. Before each trip I email it to myself, so even if I lose my cellphone I can retrieve it.

Tense ride home.... I think that if I had been the wife I would have boarded and told him to pick me up in a week! :D

same here.

But I AM THE WIFE, so I pack the passports for the entire family and have all of them on me at any given moment. I am also the one who reminds her husband that his passport is expired and sends it off for renewal. I don't want a family vacation spoiled and that's why I ensure that everything is packed.

We live about 5 hours from our favorite port. We don’t go a day early, we go give or six days early and make a mini precruise vacation out of it. (One of the perks of being old).

I did a dumb thing a couple of years ago and that extra time helped save me.

I counted my pills and vitamins into the little pill containers. Everything was fine till I realized I was running out of one of my blood pressure pills.

I forgot I needed double the number if the others because I take it twice a day.

I had to talk my prescription coverage people into covering an emergency supply and then get hold of my dr.

I was lucky we had time to get it done.

Now when I fill those little square holes I talk out loud to myself about needing doubles.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is my biggest nightmare after reading about it a few times on here. I will be checking, checking, and re-checking that all passports, BC, ID, etc are in our possession before we leave home and before leaving the hotel on the way down to NOLA and then again when leaving the NOLA hotel before embarkation.

We did not get passports for our boys as I didn't see a need and didn't want to spend so much on something that will only last 5 years. I already have their birth certificates in the folder with all cruise documents. One of my son's BC, he was born in 2003, is different from my daughter's and my youngest son's. His BC only has his name, sex, date of birth, county of birth, birth name of mother, and birth name of father on it. The other two have a really detailed BC with all the boxes of ALL info from birth. Is my son's with minimal info on it going to be good enough to board or should I go in and get a copy of it that matches the other two kids'?

The BC of your youngest is alright as long as it is the official copy with the seal.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Forums mobile app

How do the people at check in know when the birth certificates without a raised seal are legitimate?

More and more are being issued without them.

Doesn’t affect my children or grandchildren, but my great grandson’s birth certificate doesn’t have one.

I am obsessive about all documentation when going on a cruise. I do 100% of the planning. Sometimes I think I drive my wife crazy but hey, we'll always make the cruise. Feel for those guys.

I am obsessive about all documentation when going on a cruise. I do 100% of the planning. Sometimes I think I drive my wife crazy but hey, we'll always make the cruise. Feel for those guys.

Me too! I check that the passports (and other tickets or required docs that aren't just printouts) are packed multiple times before we leave the house, then once again when we get in the car, then again obsessively until we get to our destination.

I always "announce" to my husband where they are, so we both are more likely to have a distinct memory of their location. I do the same with car keys and house keys -- "I am putting the spare car key in the small inside zipper pocket of my carry-on bag" or something like that. I think by making it a statement it helps trigger my memory two weeks later when I'm ready to get into my car and go home!

How do the people at check in know when the birth certificates without a raised seal are legitimate?

More and more are being issued without them.

Doesn’t affect my children or grandchildren, but my great grandson’s birth certificate doesn’t have one.

It doesn't matter, they can't verify any of them anyway. However CBP will be verifying everything during the cruise (from the data supplied by the cruise line) so any anomalies will be discovered. (And the original document is not necessary since copies are allowed under the DHS regulations.)

It doesn't matter, they can't verify any of them anyway. However CBP will be verifying everything during the cruise (from the data supplied by the cruise line) so any anomalies will be discovered. (And the original document is not necessary since copies are allowed under the DHS regulations.)

Things have changed over the years. The original or an official copy with raised seal used to be required.

Copies made by an individual, say on their copier or at Office Depot were not allowed.

Things have changed over the years. The original or an official copy with raised seal used to be required.

Copies made by an individual, say on their copier or at Office Depot were not allowed.

Things haven't changed since the DHS regulations were published in 2008. I have no idea what was required before that and it doesn't really matter, all that matters is what is required today.