Cheapo dad's trip report on Freedom of the Seas

harryfat1

Thank you Harry! I am really hoping that Royal would not have the excursion if it wasn't safe. I really look forward to reading as much of your trip report before we leave. :)

OK, just to make things clear. We did our own walking tour of San Juan with Google map from my cell phone in going from place to place. We didn't use Royal's tour so I can't vouch for what Royal will show you guys if you join their tour.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Harry! I just finished your report and thought it was great. It took me a week but good thing I had 4 snow days. We were on adventure Dec16th and loved every minute of it. RCI does a great job decorating. I found your report because we booked the freedom and the first few reviews I found weren’t good but glad I read yours. I do a lot of planning and reading about our cruises. I did a quick review for ours. We were on the Oasis in May of 15. Loved it and then did Allure July of 16. Wanted to do Harmony but like you said it’s a lot and we like going to new islands. Your food looked better then ours. Don’t get me wrong it was good but your displays were nicer. Few questions. Did you get 2 animals in your room or that was your sons room? I enjoy the towel animals. Why didn’t you do a review of Alaska. We are going to go next June and I’ve been super crazy reading about it. FYI I worry like you with getting back to the ship. I loved your detours with your pictures of out west. Beautiful. Hope you had a great trip on Independence and I love you answer everyone. Even though I won’t be on Indy will totally read you report. We left out of San Juan and damage wasn’t to bad what we saw but we weren’t allowed to go to St. Marteen. Have a good one!

Hi Harry! I just finished your report and thought it was great. It took me a week but good thing I had 4 snow days. We were on adventure Dec16th and loved every minute of it. RCI does a great job decorating. I found your report because we booked the freedom and the first few reviews I found weren’t good but glad I read yours. I do a lot of planning and reading about our cruises. I did a quick review for ours. We were on the Oasis in May of 15. Loved it and then did Allure July of 16. Wanted to do Harmony but like you said it’s a lot and we like going to new islands. Your food looked better then ours. Don’t get me wrong it was good but your displays were nicer. Few questions. Did you get 2 animals in your room or that was your sons room? I enjoy the towel animals. Why didn’t you do a review of Alaska. We are going to go next June and I’ve been super crazy reading about it. FYI I worry like you with getting back to the ship. I loved your detours with your pictures of out west. Beautiful. Hope you had a great trip on Independence and I love you answer everyone. Even though I won’t be on Indy will totally read you report. We left out of San Juan and damage wasn’t to bad what we saw but we weren’t allowed to go to St. Marteen. Have a good one!

Hi,

Thanks for the compliment on this trip report. Hopefully the info is still somewhat relevant by time you sail on the Freedom. That’s the nature of these trip reports. After awhile, they are like reading yesterday’s news and not very useful.

To answer your questions:

1 – Towel animals. I don’t remember how many towel animals we got while on the Freedom. I know on the Indy cruise we were just on last month, some nights the cabin steward only did one for the 2 combined cabins. Other nights he did one for each cabin.

I’ve always liked them. We bought a Carnival towel animal book many years ago and my kids were pretty good at following the direction on how to fold them. It’s been few years since we last sailed on Carnival but they used to have a bigger event where they invite people onto the main theater stage to follow along how to do towel animals. And of course to sell the book as a main draw.

2 – Alaska review. I guess you must have looked at my signature below (if viewed from PC) and noticed gaps on some of my cruise history where I didn’t do a trip report. Actually, I did do a walk through of the 3 ports we were in (Ketchikan/Juneau/Victoria) but I wrote them at the ports of call sections so I didn’t have a central bond to link them together and dropped them in the Celebrity forum. Besides that, the info would have been like 9 years old by now so it’s really useless as useless goes. I’m sure there are many writers that have more recent info.

3 – So are you going to Alaska next June on the Ovation or another ship?

4 – We would have been on the same ship (Adventure) with you on 12/16 if my kids’ school schedule didn’t change on me. I had to cancel the booking on Adventure in order to book the Indy.

Hope that answers all your questions and comments. Have a great cruise to Alaska next summer. We have been there twice. Very different cruise vibe compared to the Caribbean.

Hi,

Thanks for the compliment on this trip report. Hopefully the info is still somewhat relevant by time you sail on the Freedom. That’s the nature of these trip reports. After awhile, they are like reading yesterday’s news and not very useful.

To answer your questions:

1 – Towel animals. I don’t remember how many towel animals we got while on the Freedom. I know on the Indy cruise we were just on last month, some nights the cabin steward only did one for the 2 combined cabins. Other nights he did one for each cabin.

I’ve always liked them. We bought a Carnival towel animal book many years ago and my kids were pretty good at following the direction on how to fold them. It’s been few years since we last sailed on Carnival but they used to have a bigger event where they invite people onto the main theater stage to follow along how to do towel animals. And of course to sell the book as a main draw.

2 – Alaska review. I guess you must have looked at my signature below (if viewed from PC) and noticed gaps on some of my cruise history where I didn’t do a trip report. Actually, I did do a walk through of the 3 ports we were in (Ketchikan/Juneau/Victoria) but I wrote them at the ports of call sections so I didn’t have a central bond to link them together and dropped them in the Celebrity forum. Besides that, the info would have been like 9 years old by now so it’s really useless as useless goes. I’m sure there are many writers that have more recent info.

3 – So are you going to Alaska next June on the Ovation or another ship?

4 – We would have been on the same ship (Adventure) with you on 12/16 if my kids’ school schedule didn’t change on me. I had to cancel the booking on Adventure in order to book the Indy.

Hope that answers all your questions and comments. Have a great cruise to Alaska next summer. We have been there twice. Very different cruise vibe compared to the Caribbean.

Thanks for getting back to me! I know it will be around 2 years but I enjoy reading and when I saw how detailed I wanted to read more!!

Awesome about the towel animals. I was JC. I know on Allure they do it every other because of how big so my wonderful husband who knows I love them tipped out room att. to do one every day! I saw you bought a book. Did they ever put them on your bed for you? LOL

Alaska! I am going on Princess. After reading on here it seems like the only way to go. Wasn't happy with the dates and itenary on Ovation. Even though the thing they have on it to see 360 would have been amazing. My family is coming with me and this is their first and prob only cruise, because they live in a box but this is on their bucket list! I have been researching since May about it and we are getting ready to reserve soon. Did you have a balcony? I have only done carribean so looking forward to a change I don't like to fly so VA to Canada is a long flight!

I know how that goes with schools. I am a teacher and when we book Freedom, I looked at the calendar for next year and wasn't happy, they changed ours too, but happy that we can go at Thanksgiving. I just have to take off 2 days but you know what, you like once! It was a great cruise. I know you said its expensive to SJU but toally worth it to get off 5 times. Loved Barbados!!!!! Thanks again!

Just curious what the vibe was? Just came back from a Mediterranean one and that was definitely a different vibe...

Just curious what the vibe was? Just came back from a Mediterranean one and that was definitely a different vibe...

Hi,

Sorry for the delayed response on this thread as you know I was busy with my other trip report. Starting to get confused on which thread I need to respond to.

Alaska typically has the older crowd. More cerebral with the naturalists on board to explain nature. Fewer sun worshipers. Probably not going to find too many people walking around after 11 PM.

Thanks,

Harry

Hi,

Sorry for the delayed response on this thread as you know I was busy with my other trip report. Starting to get confused on which thread I need to respond to.

Alaska typically has the older crowd. More cerebral with the naturalists on board to explain nature. Fewer sun worshipers. Probably not going to find too many people walking around after 11 PM.

Thanks,

Harry

Totally makes sense, and I would be totally okay with that. Now I just have to convince others that it's not cold in the summer and it's absolutely worth it. Might be a large task but I'm determined to do it some day even if it means dragging others kicking and screaming lol [emoji6]

Harry,

Thank you your trip report, I learned allot for our upcoming first cruise ever, on 3/25, on Freedom...Somewhere early in the post you recommended a video of the ship, I think it was youtube maybe....Any help would be appreciated, we are looking for something to watch on our ship to get us even more excited than we already are...

Thanks again

Jim

Harry,

Thank you your trip report, I learned allot for our upcoming first cruise ever, on 3/25, on Freedom...Somewhere early in the post you recommended a video of the ship, I think it was youtube maybe....Any help would be appreciated, we are looking for something to watch on our ship to get us even more excited than we already are...

Thanks again

Jim

Hi, Jim,

Thank you for the compliment. Very happy to know the trip report was helpful.

I don’t cruise often so whenever I do go on a cruise, it’s a special occasion for me and I try to see it from a newbie’s perspective. Hopefully I had some info in there that is beneficial to first time cruisers.

How exciting to be on your first cruise and you picked a pretty big ship for a first time sailing. Many people start small and work their way up. Per Wiki, Freedom is in the top 15 in terms of size (I like them big…) so it will be lots of fun exploring the ship for you folks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_cruise_ships

Off the top of my head, I don’t recall what I said under what context about videos. I am in the middle of writing my current trip report so my old man brain can’t recall exactly what I said in the last trip report. If you are referring to just looking online at YouTube to see the ship, there are many guided tours of the ship. Some are like infomercials produced by travel agents wanting to get your business so you just have ignore that part.

Just go to YouTube and type in the search words - freedom of the seas cruise ship tour –and you will have many videos to choose from that will give you a solid idea on what your first could be.

Feel free to come back with any questions.

Have a great first cruise.

Harry

• 3 months later...

Harry, Another great trip report! We were on Freedom for the New Year's cruise right after you. Came back to have our flight cancelled due to the shooting at the Ft L airport. We couldn't get home for 4 days after that. We have since gone on Allure just after I read your report and are going to jump on Freedom again this July out of San Juan. Reading of your adventures and getting rock eye candy as a bonus helps get me through work and the cold weather here in Chicago. I am always about 5 months behind in your adventures but eventually I will catch up.

Happy travels to you and your family,

Barbara

Harry, Another great trip report! We were on Freedom for the New Year's cruise right after you. Came back to have our flight cancelled due to the shooting at the Ft L airport. We couldn't get home for 4 days after that. We have since gone on Allure just after I read your report and are going to jump on Freedom again this July out of San Juan. Reading of your adventures and getting rock eye candy as a bonus helps get me through work and the cold weather here in Chicago. I am always about 5 months behind in your adventures but eventually I will catch up.

Happy travels to you and your family,

Barbara

Hi, Barbara,

Thanks for the kind words and reading my trip report on the Freedom.

You have plenty of time to catch up as I have no cruises planned this year since we are going to Disney world this December and the typical road trip in the summer.

I see that you already have your 2019 cruise booked. Depending on my kids' school schedule, I may or may not be on the same cruise as you. Typically that is not a good thing as I tend to take pictures of people in less than flattering poses...;p

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Harry,

I am new to CC and I am sailing this weekend on the Freedom to the Southern Caribbean. I enjoed reading your report even though you went to different ports. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and memories. It makes me even more excited for my upcoming cruise.

Michele

Hi, Barbara,

Thanks for the kind words and reading my trip report on the Freedom.

You have plenty of time to catch up as I have no cruises planned this year since we are going to Disney world this December and the typical road trip in the summer.

I see that you already have your 2019 cruise booked. Depending on my kids' school schedule, I may or may not be on the same cruise as you. Typically that is not a good thing as I tend to take pictures of people in less than flattering poses...;p

The Anthem cruise gives us an easier, shorter, and way less expensive flight. The 9 night was also remarkably the most reasonably priced when we booked. It was a win win situation. A long wait but we haven’t cruised on this class yet. Hope all is well as the school year starts to let out.

Barbara

Hi Harry,

I am new to CC and I am sailing this weekend on the Freedom to the Southern Caribbean. I enjoed reading your report even though you went to different ports. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and memories. It makes me even more excited for my upcoming cruise.

Michele

Hi, Michele,

Welcome to CC.

Thanks for the kind words and reading my old trip report. Glad the info was helpful.

What islands will you be visiting while on the Freedom this weekend? We were on the Indy last December and we visited some of the eastern Caribbean islands that may or may not be on your itinerary as I know the Freedom has alternating routes. Maybe you can take a quick peek at my Indy trip report (link below my signature) to see if some of the island info might be helpful.

We were in San Juan and the forts were really nice so if you want to see that, I might have a picture of two of the area.

At any rate, thanks again for reading and appreciate the feedback. Have a wonderful cruise next week.

Thanks,

Harry

The Anthem cruise gives us an easier, shorter, and way less expensive flight. The 9 night was also remarkably the most reasonably priced when we booked. It was a win win situation. A long wait but we haven’t cruised on this class yet. Hope all is well as the school year starts to let out.

Barbara

Hi, Barbara,

Yeah, we are in the similar situation (I will skip the cheesy “same boat” pun) of liking the itinerary for the price/value aspect as well as sailing on this class of ship for the first time. But we haven’t booked yet as it’s so far off and with the penalty of cancelling, I will need to hold off until maybe early 2019 before booking as there are too many things that could make us cancel a cruise one year out.

Right now I am not in the cruise mode anyway. We are off to Vegas and Utah again next month to look at rocks in the blazing 100 degree heat as part of our annual road trip. Then this December, we have booked a week’s stay at Disneyworld so I am planning for that vacation as well. So it will be 2019 before I think about cruising again – unless I get some email about a big sale around Black Friday that I can’t pass up…

Harry

Hi, Harry:

Hope all is well with you and your family, currently I'm in the spreadsheet pricing phase for my Fall cruise. At my age I no long book cruises to far in advance, as a matter of fact I have stopped buying green bananas, Ha, Ha!

Jim,

Hi, Harry:

Hope all is well with you and your family, currently I'm in the spreadsheet pricing phase for my Fall cruise. At my age I no long book cruises to far in advance, as a matter of fact I have stopped buying green bananas, Ha, Ha!

Jim,

Hi, Jim,

Haha, that's a good banana joke.

I like the spreadsheet pricing process. We must be finance people...

We're off to Nevada and Utah in few weeks to look at more rocks. The advanced weather forecast has the area to be around 105 degrees. Yikes, not looking forward to that aspect of the trip...

You have fun on your Fall season cruise if we don't talk before you leave. Doing another mega ship cruise with the big family clan?

Harry

• 2 years later...

Harry, I always enjoy your trip reports - all the photos, and the commentary.  I think I read this entire report a couple years ago before we did a cruise.  As 2020 is a year NOT to cruise, I've read this to see the pics, etc., and remember what the cruise was like.  Maybe we'll cruise again some day.  

• Like 1

On 6/14/2020 at 2:51 PM, Biker19 said:

To make it more obvious to Harry, either quote him or use his @harryfat1 name in the post.

image.jpeg.77e55bfe5674cac1493ca65eccaa0aa2.jpeg

Hehe, just like waking some evil creature from the abyss...👾

Actually I'm subscribed to all my old cruise reports so I get email notifications whenever someone posts a comment.

• Like 1

On 6/14/2020 at 2:47 PM, GBM said:

Harry, I always enjoy your trip reports - all the photos, and the commentary.  I think I read this entire report a couple years ago before we did a cruise.  As 2020 is a year NOT to cruise, I've read this to see the pics, etc., and remember what the cruise was like.  Maybe we'll cruise again some day.  

Hi,

Thanks for the compliments and reading my various trip reports.  Didn't think anyone reads them anymore as they are pretty outdated info but I do appreciate you taking the time to drop me a note.

We haven't been on cruise for awhile ourselves.  In 2018, we went to Disneyworld.  In 2019, we spent 3 weeks in Japan and also visited the 2 Disney parks in Tokyo (Disneyland and Disney Sea).  Cheapo dad was in therapy for months after having to pay for the trip...😢

We thought of going on an Alaska cruise this summer but after Covid 19 hit, that went out the window.  Will see how much cruises will change going forward before we plan another cruise.  Although we do miss cruises very much.

Hope you get to cruise soon yourself and safe travels.

Cheers,

Harry

20190626_173049.jpg

20190621_104721.jpg

20190629_113629.jpg

20190629_200526.jpg

20190624_105719.jpg

20190625_124531.jpg

20190705_112733.jpg

20190705_120934 - Copy.jpg

20191228_164133.jpg

• Like 5