Port of Miami to Fort Lauderdale airport

Mr and Mrs C

I normally research the heck out of things well in advance however my plans have changed after a long painful drive to Florida. We are cruising out of Miami and I was going to drive home afterwards (26 hours) with my family but I am having problems with my back so I'm looking at flying home. Flights from Fort Lauderdale offer a non stop reasonable flight home, however it doesn't leave until 8 pm. I need transportation to the airport and will be looking for something to do for the day.

I am not used to traveling by myself and have only flown one other time so it needs to be uncomplicated! My husband and son will drive home without me☹️.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just found I can rent a hotel in Fort Lauderdale for the day, has anyone done this? It says they shuttle you to the airport for free. The flight I'm looking at doesn't leave until 8 pm. So I would look at booking sas to take me from the port over, then relax at the hotel until the flight.

Just found I can rent a hotel in Fort Lauderdale for the day, has anyone done this? It says they shuttle you to the airport for free. The flight I'm looking at doesn't leave until 8 pm. So I would look at booking sas to take me from the port over, then relax at the hotel until the flight.

Many hotels are happy to offer day rooms if they have availability; one budget option that usually comes up is the roadway Inn -- okay if you just want to hang around the hotel, but somewhat isolated from anything else. Search http://www.sunny.org and http://www.between9and5.com for options

You could shuttle to FLL, pay to store your bags, and then are free to explore - shopping, beach, lunch, etc.

Many cruise lines offer post cruise tours, but most will drop you at FLL by about 1:00, leaving you several hours still to kill.

If you decide to rent a car one-way (Miami-FLL) there are several car rental locations in downtown Miami close to POM (Avis, Hertz & others) but they are sometimes overwhelmed with cruisers. :( National, Alamo and Thrifty offer a free shuttle from POM to their MIA airport location.

Edited by JohninDC

We were in the same situation last year. Our flight was at 8pm from FLL.

We booked a hop on hop off tour of Miami through the ship. Our luggage was stored for us, so we could enjoy the bus tour and get off where we wanted. We did the entire tour - all loops - and finished around 2pm if I remember correctly. We then had a late lunch in downtown Miami, collected our luggage and took the bus (provided by the tour company) to the airport. It was still a bit of a wait at the airport, but we enjoyed the Miami tour.