Trekking the Globe with Bill & Mary Ann on the 2017 World Cruise - 126 Days

WCB

Bon Voyage! :) and Happy New Year!!!

Almost missed your blog. I got spoiled the last couple of blogs came automatically to my email because you used the same blog name. Hope to be able to keep up with most of your cruise as I will be away for a month on my own cruise.

Have a great cruise.

Traveling Dot :)

OOPS! :o Forgot that it is your personal blog that comes to my email. Just found it when I went back to my email. Have a great cruise, can't wait to read all about it.

Dot:D

Report # 3 Day Two in Ft. Lauderdale January 2, 2017 Monday Cloudy, sprinkles, and 81 degrees

We did something today we rarely do…..sleep in later than usual. Guess the time change caught up with us quickly this time. The only thing we needed to do was get to the little café for breakfast before they stopped serving breakfast. And we did. Today was sort of a holiday, because the kids were still out of school, and many businesses were still closed for a long weekend. What we forgot was that this little café fills to overflow on weekends, and today was no exception. There had to be about a dozen folks waiting outside on the sidewalk to enter. Hoping they were all together, we slipped inside to find, yes, they were, but they had a table for two ready in a few minutes. Sold…..we were seated, had hot coffee, and ordered one of their specials right away. Group of six to ten were waiting the whole time we dined. The food is good, and the price is right. Nice for the younger families that live in the area.

After we ate, we went to Burlington’s to pick up a few things we actually forgot at home. Then, we stopped at Publix, one of the local food stores, and picked up some room snacks and a few more incidentals. It sure looked like it could rain, but according to the news this morning, the showers were scattered and brief. Did not need umbrellas after all.

Back at the hotel, we were happy to find our room had been cleaned while we were gone. At another hotel where we used to stay, the rooms did not get serviced sometimes until 4pm. And that’s probably why our travel agency does not stay there anymore. That, and because HAL also used that hotel, making it impossible to get an elevator to get down to the lobby on check-out morning. On our last stay there, we had to walk down the emergency stairwell, because we did not want to wait over ½ hour for the elevator.

It would have been nice to relax at the outdoor pool, but the weather was not co-operating. So we decided to hike the canal road to check out the local wildlife. You never know what you might find along this huge waterway. A huge sign warned of alligators and poisonous snakes. OK……we’ll watch every step we take very carefully.

What we did see were many sizes of iguanas, trying to soak up any heat from the occasional breaks in the clouds. The smaller lizards dashed in and out of tree roots, where they successfully hid from predators. At one point, it began to drizzle. Thinking it would get heavy, we took refuge under a big palm tree. Always a good idea to look up, because these iguanas hide up high in these trees. From previous experience, we know that you can get different types of sprinkles standing under these huge lizards. So gross. Lucky for us, the drizzle ended, and that was the end of any rain we would get today.

Florida is a haven for birds, especially water birds such as ducks, geese, ibis, terns, and gulls. We even spotted a few raptors, like hawks, hunting in and around the ponds and local lakes. What we did not see were any alligators or poisonous snakes, thankfully. There was no shortage of toads, frogs, and turtles, especially in the evening when you had to be careful not to step on them.

If we had walked on the canal trail longer, we might have seen the huge fish that sometime jump in the current. As we neared University Avenue, we headed left towards the Westfield Mall. Guess it was over a mile to reach it, but at least we found it with a little help from a seven year old map we brought with us. Since then, another complex called The Fountains, has filled in the space from the canal to Westfield’s. It was there that we saw a Barnes and Noble, where we searched for a few reference books……a couple on birds and one on trees of the world. Nice to see how many folks are still buying and reading “real” books. Yes, downloading them on hand-held devices is convenient, but we like the real deal.

At Westfield’s, we located a Red Robin’s for a much appreciated light lunch with at least three refills on our sodas. With the muggy overcast skies, it is easy to get dehydrated. The best thing was that there was a continuous breeze all day, keeping it pleasantly warm. Since we will be coming back here tomorrow, perhaps on the complimentary shuttle provided by our travel agency, we resisted any more shopping.

Walking back, we headed towards Pine Island Road, which turned out to be a much more direct way to go. By the way, we noticed that we were among a handful of people that walk here. Everyone drives to their destination. That way they are never away from air-conditioning for long. Just a different way of life here, although, we did notice that the local gyms were full of exercising folks yesterday. They prefer to get their exercise in a cooler place. Makes sense.

One of us took advantage of some internet time, while the other took another walk around the lakes. There are many walking paths to see even more wildlife. While looking out the hotel window, there was a huge rainbow in the downtown area of Ft. Lauderdale. Guess the isolated showers were still hanging around.

Before we knew it, the skies were dark, and it was time for dinner. Once again, we hiked to the sport’s bar and ordered cobb salads. No dessert tonight. We should mention that we have been experiencing computer problems, which continued to shut down while typing and go unresponsive. Hopefully it is something temporary, because it’s frustrating.

Tomorrow will be another busy day, ending with a cocktail party and dinner in the hotel’s ballroom. But that won’t begin until 6:15pm. Plenty of time to enjoy another day in Ft. Lauderdale.

Bill & Mary Ann

Report # 3 Day Two in Ft. Lauderdale January 2, 2017 Monday Cloudy, sprinkles, and 81 degrees

We did something today we rarely do…..sleep in later than usual. Guess the time change caught up with us quickly this time. The only thing we needed to do was get to the little café for breakfast before they stopped serving breakfast. And we did. Today was sort of a holiday, because the kids were still out of school, and many businesses were still closed for a long weekend. What we forgot was that this little café fills to overflow on weekends, and today was no exception. There had to be about a dozen folks waiting outside on the sidewalk to enter. Hoping they were all together, we slipped inside to find, yes, they were, but they had a table for two ready in a few minutes. Sold…..we were seated, had hot coffee, and ordered one of their specials right away. Group of six to ten were waiting the whole time we dined. The food is good, and the price is right. Nice for the younger families that live in the area.

After we ate, we went to Burlington’s to pick up a few things we actually forgot at home. Then, we stopped at Publix, one of the local food stores, and picked up some room snacks and a few more incidentals. It sure looked like it could rain, but according to the news this morning, the showers were scattered and brief. Did not need umbrellas after all.

Back at the hotel, we were happy to find our room had been cleaned while we were gone. At another hotel where we used to stay, the rooms did not get serviced sometimes until 4pm. And that’s probably why our travel agency does not stay there anymore. That, and because HAL also used that hotel, making it impossible to get an elevator to get down to the lobby on check-out morning. On our last stay there, we had to walk down the emergency stairwell, because we did not want to wait over ½ hour for the elevator.

It would have been nice to relax at the outdoor pool, but the weather was not co-operating. So we decided to hike the canal road to check out the local wildlife. You never know what you might find along this huge waterway. A huge sign warned of alligators and poisonous snakes. OK……we’ll watch every step we take very carefully.

What we did see were many sizes of iguanas, trying to soak up any heat from the occasional breaks in the clouds. The smaller lizards dashed in and out of tree roots, where they successfully hid from predators. At one point, it began to drizzle. Thinking it would get heavy, we took refuge under a big palm tree. Always a good idea to look up, because these iguanas hide up high in these trees. From previous experience, we know that you can get different types of sprinkles standing under these huge lizards. So gross. Lucky for us, the drizzle ended, and that was the end of any rain we would get today.

Florida is a haven for birds, especially water birds such as ducks, geese, ibis, terns, and gulls. We even spotted a few raptors, like hawks, hunting in and around the ponds and local lakes. What we did not see were any alligators or poisonous snakes, thankfully. There was no shortage of toads, frogs, and turtles, especially in the evening when you had to be careful not to step on them.

If we had walked on the canal trail longer, we might have seen the huge fish that sometime jump in the current. As we neared University Avenue, we headed left towards the Westfield Mall. Guess it was over a mile to reach it, but at least we found it with a little help from a seven year old map we brought with us. Since then, another complex called The Fountains, has filled in the space from the canal to Westfield’s. It was there that we saw a Barnes and Noble, where we searched for a few reference books……a couple on birds and one on trees of the world. Nice to see how many folks are still buying and reading “real” books. Yes, downloading them on hand-held devices is convenient, but we like the real deal.

At Westfield’s, we located a Red Robin’s for a much appreciated light lunch with at least three refills on our sodas. With the muggy overcast skies, it is easy to get dehydrated. The best thing was that there was a continuous breeze all day, keeping it pleasantly warm. Since we will be coming back here tomorrow, perhaps on the complimentary shuttle provided by our travel agency, we resisted any more shopping.

Walking back, we headed towards Pine Island Road, which turned out to be a much more direct way to go. By the way, we noticed that we were among a handful of people that walk here. Everyone drives to their destination. That way they are never away from air-conditioning for long. Just a different way of life here, although, we did notice that the local gyms were full of exercising folks yesterday. They prefer to get their exercise in a cooler place. Makes sense.

One of us took advantage of some internet time, while the other took another walk around the lakes. There are many walking paths to see even more wildlife. While looking out the hotel window, there was a huge rainbow in the downtown area of Ft. Lauderdale. Guess the isolated showers were still hanging around.

Before we knew it, the skies were dark, and it was time for dinner. Once again, we hiked to the sport’s bar and ordered cobb salads. No dessert tonight. We should mention that we have been experiencing computer problems, which continued to shut down while typing and go unresponsive. Hopefully it is something temporary, because it’s frustrating.

Tomorrow will be another busy day, ending with a cocktail party and dinner in the hotel’s ballroom. But that won’t begin until 6:15pm. Plenty of time to enjoy another day in Ft. Lauderdale.

Bill & Mary Ann

Enjoying your blog! A world cruise is on my bucket list, but DH says he could never cruise for that long. Will have to do it vicariously through you. Regarding your computer problems....if you have an iPad or a MAC product that is more than two years old, the IOS 10 update will push it hard to keep up, needing to reboot to get back on track...I learned the hard way with an older iPad and iPad mini that did these annoying things frequently. And they were very slow. Ended up having to replace both

Some helpful hints for your China excursion. We were there a few years ago and did a similar excursion.

China Helpful Hints

Bank notes in excellent condition. Canadian or US dollars are exchanged in hotels at the correct exchange rate. We travelled with a money belt.

You will need Yuan, Macau, and Hong Kong dollars. When we got to Macau, we exchanged our Chinese Yuan, don't get stuck with very much. You just need some for lunches or guide tips.

We used our Canadian MasterCard in China. We bought silk duvets and tea. When you go to the silk factory, and if you want anything large, you can have it shipped back to Canada. We went together with another couple and combined the shipment as it was one price, no matter what you had.

Air pollution is bad in China. Hardly any birds flying around. Take allergy, anti histamine stuff with you.

Before we left, we also started taking daily doses of Peptobismal. Started about 4 or 5 days ahead of the trip, and took it with us. We also took Oregeno 8 which combats flu or colds ahead of time. We took it with us too. A travelling drug store, but our friends sure appreciated it as they had nothing.

Take sanitary wipes with you to. I got to a washroom in Xian where the Terra Cotta soldiers are. Guess what, no toilet paper in the stalls. And in some cases the toilet paper is only in one area of the washroom. Your supposed to grab it before entering the toilet. Wilma always had these in her purse, or pack.

Most of the women's washrooms are squatting pans. I sent you a picture. They do have toilets in all the hotels, but on your tours, you will run into these.

One of our persons on the tour got pick pocketed. It happened quickly with a fanny pack located in the front of this person. Jostled in a group, crowd working in teams, pack slit with knife, $500 gone along with credit cards. Don't use a fanny pack, watch out in crowds, be aware.

Breakfast was the best meal of the day for me. Very good variety, wonderful selections. We stayed at all 5 star hotels that had free wifi. Facebook is blocked however, but emails no problem. I've found that gmail or hotmail are the best when your travelling.

Lunch was dishes of Chinese fare on a lazy Susan. I called it "spin the table". Rice, soup, dim sum, yum yum and other stuff. Not what you get here. You knew the selections were done when they brought out the watermelon. That was desert.

Suppers were a lot like lunches, except Peking Duck night, which was very greasy. Apparently that's a Chinese delicacy.

English no problem, Chinese are taught this early in school. We did have many parents and children come up to us and wanted their picture taken with us. They had never seen a North American white. If there were any black people, that was cause for celebration.

Over all, this trip was fantastic. Be prepared for crowds. 1 billion registered Chinese plus another 400 million non persons. People born but not registered during the one child policy.

China is not poor. Wages are similar to here. No buys for electronics or cameras. Very expensive. The silk and tea were the best.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Well...

I took PeptoBismol preventively and it made matters worse for me. I think it killed the good bacteria in my stomach which is not a good thing. I would recommend taking Immodium A-D pills (or the like) with you for when you need it. You know what they say...don't drink the water. And don't even brush your teeth with the water. And in my opinion the bottled water is suspect, so I don't drink that either. Take a water filter and filter the bottled water.

And, China is indeed a poor country but their wages are nowhere near those in the US or Canada. But you're right about the electronics...no good buys.

I agree about taking crisp bank notes. And they may only exchange 100 dollar bills, not small ones. And yes, be sure to take sanitary wipes with you.

We did a land tour of China and Tibet. I bought a Christa cup on eBay to use with the squatty potties in China. I was always amazed watching the chinese women go into the squatty potties with stiletto heels and skinny jeans. I just can't squat that long. The aforementioned device allowed me to use the squatty potties without falling into them. Our tour guide labeled them either "happy" or "unhappy" potties, depending on the cleanliness. It was an experience. Beijing was the worst for smog. The air was brown and you could taste it. It was the last stop of our 3 week tour and we went home sick. We did the Pepto protocol(google it) and it worked wonderfully. No problems at all and I have IBS. Trip of a lifetime and it will stay with me for the rest of my life!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We did the Pepto protocol(google it)

Ok I googled it. Here's what I found:

Some people swear that taking Pepto-Bismol may reduce TD risk, and Rose says that the active ingredient, bismuth, has some antibacterial properties. However, the product is meant to treat stomach upset, not prevent it, and you should check with your doctor before loading up your suitcase with "pink magic."

Link:http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2012/08/28/6-ways-to-keep-your-stomach-safe-anywhere-on-earth.html

Do you have a link that encourages people to take Pepto preventively?

It has been three years since we traveled and followed that protocol. A fellow nurse gave me the information. We took it before each meal to coat the gut and prevent unfamiliar bugs from taking residence. It worked for me, even into Tibet where the food was quite extraordinary. Sheep lung, yak meat and butter tea. I took along antibiotics for diarrhea but did not need them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Report # 4 Day Three in Ft. Lauderdale January 3, 2017 Tuesday Cloudy, rainy, and 80 degrees

Today began much like yesterday, with an early breakfast at the local friendly café. No holiday, the place was half full. Nice….there was no waiting for our food and hot coffee.

We had remembered that last year we had stopped at Staples to buy a few things. Looking for a small accordion-type folder, we knew we would find it there. However, it was gone. The next best bet was to try Publix, and that turned out perfect. They had coupon organizers, which will be perfect for keeping all the receipts we collect. So that is our tip of the day. Not a big deal, but a continuing effort to keep everything in order.

The lobby of the hotel was bustling with cruise folks. Some were going to the Prinsendam, while some were coming in from the Prinsendam’s last cruise. Then all of us world cruisers were either picking up their bags, vests, and tour tickets, or simply visiting. We ran into more people we recognized from previous trips. Even though we may not know their names, we seem to recognize each other anyway. Sometimes it takes about 4 cruises for these folks to break the ice and talk to you. This lasted for an hour, when one of the staff from our agency asked if she could interview us. Sure, we are always open to share info for future articles in their quarterly magazine.

Our reports and photo sorting were falling behind, so we needed to spend some time in our room to catch up. For some unexplained reason, we began running into problems with the computer stalling. It began late last night and continued this morning. We were not alone, as we would find out later in the day. Instead of getting frustrated, we decided to go for our walk before it rained.

Well, we timed that almost right. Got to the walking bridge right when the raincloud decided to downpour. Lucky we could take cover at a little building with an overhang. The heavier the rain got, it began stirring the wildlife. We watched as a large lizard stood up on its hind legs, and ran across the parking lot. Boy, those things can move fast. In about 10 minutes, the worst of the cloudburst was over, and we continued on towards Westfield Mall again.

There was a complimentary shuttle running from the Renaissance from 1 to 3pm, and back from the mall between 1:30 and 3:30pm. Figured we would walk one way, and ride back. So we walked around inside the mall, not intending to buy anything, but did at a department store we do not have back at home. Most everything is half off, and a sequined jacket caught our eye. Be good for a Gala night, or whatever they choose to call them these days. It’s Formal for us, and we refuse to change. On last year’s world cruise, most all the guests stayed “formal”. Will be interesting to see if anything changes this year, as the mood is leaning to more casual.

Of course, we went for another lunch at Red Robin, but they were having computer problems, and we had to wait for our check. Because of the delay, we missed the shuttle. Not wanting to wait another hour, we ended up walking back……..slowly. It took about ½ hour….not bad. And the rain held off. Our waiter said this is typical January weather with passing showers all day. He said if you wait five minutes, the rain stops.

On the way back, we walked across the lake and saw something we knew could be here, but never saw. A huge snake was coiled on a rock near the shoreline of the lake. Thinking it wasn’t real, we crept a bit closer, so see it was in fact very real. Got some good photos, but did not linger too long. The word “poisonous” keeps coming into our minds. Not sure what kind of snake this was, but it was at least 4 - 5 feet long and the size of a man’s wrist. The ducks and egrets stayed clear of it, so we followed their lead.

Back at the hotel, we did more computer work, and got ready for the cocktail party at 6:15pm. Seems that the problems we had earlier had cleared up by itself. Hope it doesn’t happen again. Anyway, the party was well under way when we got there on time. No one follows directions. We did see many friends, some of whom we did not know were on this voyage. Think it is going to be a good trip. Forty-five minutes flew by. It was time for dinner at 7pm. The bars shut down immediately, and were escorted into the ballroom. We were assigned to table # 2, hosted by Gerald. The meal consisted of a rich, creamy mushroom soup with sourdough rolls….no salad this time. The entrée was a butterflied chicken breast with scalloped potatoes, asparagus, and broccoli. We had choices of white and red wine, which was served only once. Very little topping-off. Dessert was a mousse of some kind, covered with berries and a strawberry glaze. Very rich and extremely sweet. Coffee was offered, but most declined. Seemed that everyone was tired, and ready to call it a night.

The usual speeches were delivered by Holly, Annie, Gerald, the Mariner Society Director, and Orlando, the President of HAL. Holly reminded us that our tagged luggage had to be placed by the door of our rooms by 8:30am for pick-up. And she followed up with another reminder not to place the hand-carrys anywhere near the luggage, as they would also disappear. By 9pm, the room cleared, and everyone said their good-byes until tomorrow. It is going to be a very busy day tomorrow.

Bill & Mary Ann

This year I've got two sailings to follow along, our oldest departs about twelve hours after the Amsterdam on the USS Carl Vinson out of San Diego, so they'll be a week or two ahead of you heading across the Pacific. His accommodations and food will pale by comparison, not to mention the lack of entertainment! I laughed at loud at this reporter's observation that the aircraft carrier is "nothing like a cruise ship". You think? http://maritimematters.com/2016/12/a-day-underway-aboard-the-aircraft-carrier-u-s-s-carl-vinson-cvn-70/

Edited by euro cruiser

It has been three years since we traveled and followed that protocol. A fellow nurse gave me the information. We took it before each meal to coat the gut and prevent unfamiliar bugs from taking residence. It worked for me, even into Tibet where the food was quite extraordinary. Sheep lung, yak meat and butter tea. I took along antibiotics for diarrhea but did not need them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's one:

http://www.aafp.org/afp/2005/0601/p2095.html

Bismuth is fairly effective against some species of shigella and other bacteria.

Here's one:

http://www.aafp.org/afp/2005/0601/p2095.html

Bismuth is fairly effective against some species of shigella and other bacteria.

Thanks for the link. According to the article:

Bismuth subsalicylate (Pepto-Bismol) provides a rate of protection of about 60 percent against traveler’s diarrhea.24 However, it is not recommended for persons taking anticoagulants or other salicylates. Because bismuth subsalicylate interferes with the absorption of doxycycline (Vibramycin), it should not be taken by travelers using doxycycline for malaria prophylaxis. Travelers should be warned about possible reversible side effects of bismuth subsalicylate, such as a black tongue, dark stools, and tinnitus.

I guess I fall in the 40% where it didn't help. Oh well...

Report # 5 Embarkation Day……The Fun Begins……. January 4, 2017 Wednesday Cloudy, showers, and 80 degrees 43 Pictures

The day for embarkation was over-whelming. Everything went quite smooth, according to plan, which was great. But it seemed that the day was too short to fit in everything that needed to be done.

We started early…..5:30am. For a change, we thought ahead yesterday, and re-packed our luggage, not leaving the task for the morning. We could have stayed in the hotel, and had breakfast there, but we really prefer the café, a 10 minute walk away. And besides, there were a few items we still needed to buy at the grocery store. So we were the first ones to enter the café when they opened at 8am. Service with a smile was quick, and the food very good. We were done before 9am.

The skies were stormy, and rain threatened any minute. We had purchased a couple of umbrellas just in case, but never really needed them. Fog had settled over the entire area last night, making it muggy. Once again , we never had a chance to use the pool at the hotel. We’ll have plenty of chances when we board the ship and head south.

The lobby of the hotel was bustling. The first bus was scheduled to begin the transfer to the pier at 9:45am. Our group had been divided into three groups…..actually four. A special limo had been provided to transport the PC group around 9:30am. Our luggage was due to be picked up at 8:30am. That did not happen for all of us. Not to worry, they guaranteed it would be picked up even after we left the hotel. This is where trust comes into play. At least we were not leaving the luggage outside the door, as we had done in the past. We’ll never forget the time, ten years ago, when our dear friend Millie lost her one piece of luggage to a “hallway” thief. Yep, someone had simply walked away with her bag. Luckily, it was only a seven day trip, and everything she would need could be provided on the ship. Good thing she kept her meds in her purse.

The ride was short, getting us to Port Everglades in 20 minutes. Passing through security, a guard requested for all to hold up ID for him to see. Most everywhere else, this guard boards the coach, and looks at every single passport. Not so thorough here. The driver brought us straight to Pier 26, where the Amsterdam was docked. Even though it was around 10:30am, most all of the previous passengers had left, with the exception of some that were sailing onward.

The best thing about arriving this early, is that very few people were checking in yet. Gerald B was there to direct our group through the check-in counter, after we filled out the health form. We are happy to report that we were cleared within minutes. A small group of us were led up to level two, and the entrance to the gangway. That’s where we began to recognize many folks we knew…..almost all PC members. It was like summer camp once again.

Captain Mercer, Henk Mensink, Gene Young, and Gerald B finally all arrived to pose for photos with every couple or single passenger in our limited group. If memory serves us right, we should be gifted with a copy of this photo. Captain Mercer was sporting a newly-grown beard, very distinguished-looking, although he admitted that when we hit the hotter weather, he may change his mind. Unless his wife, Karen, likes it more, then, she wins.

Shortly after 11am, we boarded the ship. The good news is that our room keys worked right away. On our last cruise, our photos were mixed up, and we had to go to the front desk to get them fixed. The room cards have a different format, which began on the Tales of the South Pacific last fall. We believe that the suites on deck seven have an orange stripe on them, while the rest of the population have a blue stripe. Your current Mariner Society status is also printed on the card, from one to five star members to President’s Club members.

Our room was ready, so we could drop off our hand carrys. Lucky for us, our head room steward was the same nice fellow we had on our last trip……..Ratno. The good thing is he remembered every request we had, and he made sure all was as we expected it to be. His assistant was different, but he was not available yet. This is a massive day for these guys and gals, especially on a Grand Voyage. So much more luggage has to be delivered, added staff is needed to do the job. Secretly, one of us was glad that nothing had arrived yet, because it’s a major task to stash it all. No rush…..as long as it all shows up undamaged, we’ll be happy campers.

We went in search of something cold or hot to drink, as well as make the first pizza check. The Lido was just opening with lunch, so we had to try a slice of Margherita pizza. Every time we come here, the pizza seems to get better. Unfortunately, the custom-made sandwich bar is gone forever, we think. Now you have the choice of pre-made deli rolls (with printed descriptions), or put a sandwich together with limited bread and lunchmeats and cheese. No chance for toasted cheese sandwiches or paninis here. However, we spotted a few paninis on the new room service menu, which we’ll address tomorrow.

You can be guaranteed that if you stand near the Lido restaurant area, you will run into everyone you know eventually. Our first and most important find was Barbie, our BBF, and tablemate of almost 10 years now. She was followed by Ellen and Martha, more good friends and tablemates. More folks stopped for hellos, as we ended up blocking the aisle. Time to move into the Lido pool area for the Mariners Society welcome reception from 1:30 to 2:30pm. Complimentary champagne and wine would fill that area with guests and staff for well over an hour.

Can’t tell you how many folks we recognized……hundreds. The afternoon evaporated as we chatted until 4pm or so. Guess it was time to go back to the room and check for luggage. Our three suitcases had arrived, and one of our duffel bags was also waiting there. Before more came, we stashed what we could from the three bags. Right before dinner, all of the duffels were delivered. We could hear them crash outside our door, dropped off of dollies. We heard a “kaboomb”, and we knew the heavy duffels had arrived. The best we could do was help our room steward drag them inside. Each one probably weighed more than Ratno.

Muster drill was held at 4:15pm. Necessary, of course, but it is not one of our most favorite of activities. No matter where we dock, it seems that we’re always on the hot and sunny side. Now a good thing is that the boat commanders have a new hand-held device for scanning our room cards. This is really convenient, avoiding the yelling out of cabin numbers and names. They only had to do that with the late-comers.

Captain Jonathon did his normal announcement for the drill, with adding the funny about “captain turns page over” joke to make the folks laugh. Good way to tell if everyone is really listening. Today, they were. We always stay and watch the dockside activity before going back down the stairs, since the majority of folks were already gone in ten minutes. Maybe we could continue to unpack…..or not.

By now, all of our stuff was delivered. No way were we going to tackle that job, so we stacked them, and headed off for dinner. Too tired, we did not even change our clothes. Since jeans (without the silly holes) are allowed now, we did not feel out of place. Our usual group showed up which included Barb, Bob, Martha, Ruud, and us. New-comers were Scoop from Florida, Maureen and Jim from Canada, and Martin from Holland. We are not sure they were assigned to this table, since technically, we are sitting in the open-seating venue. Our group of six is pretty vocal, so we do hope we did not scare the newbies away.

Our first dinner included tomato soup, Caesar salad, and prime rib with mashed potatoes. Martha ordered a plate of assorted vegetables, but for tomorrow evening. Oscar, one of our favorite head waiters, came with a heaping platter of beans, asparagus, broccoli, and cauliflower. Think all of us had some. The only thing we noticed was that the soups were on the cold side. The broth is served separately from a gravy boat, but by the time it is added to the bowl, the heat is gone out of it in one minute. Eventually, they will get it right.

Desserts looked tempting…don’t they always? One of us had raspberry-swirl cheesecake ice cream, and one of us had jello. Martha and I both ordered it, and got mercilessly teased. Figuring if we can keep the bread at a minimum, and have a light dessert, perhaps we will survive the cruise without gaining a ton of weight.

At 9:30pm, the Bon Voyage Sailaway took place at the Lido Poolside. We understand that the Amsterdam orchestra played, and drinks of your choice were offered for one hour. Too bad our dinner ended after 10pm, as we missed the party. We did go out on deck three to watch the ship sail out into the Atlantic Ocean as we head south towards San Marta, Colombia, the first stop of this grand voyage.

Looking forward to a very restful sleep tonight.

Bill & Mary Ann

Report # 6 Sailing Towards Santa Marta, Colombia January 5, 2017 Thursday Partly cloudy & 77 degrees

A day at sea was exactly what we needed today. There was so much more we needed to do to get organized and settled in our room. But first, we went to the dining room for a proper breakfast. Last night, we had asked Endrien if we could secure table 179 for both breakfast and lunch. He said absolutely, he would save it for us. We knew Barb would almost always be there at lunch, so she was happy to know it was saved for us too.

It was nice to see we had our same waiters that we enjoyed on the recent South Pacific cruise we did. Miduk and his two assistants took good care of us, actually remembering what we liked to order. Here is the hint of the day: when there are fresh berries available, and you like them, of course, order them daily. Once they are gone, it may be weeks before they come back. This applies to all of the fresh fruit, even, bananas, melons, and pineapple. All of that goes well with Greek yogurt, so we order that about every day. We have heard that there is no more fresh-squeezed orange juice. The juice we were served today was excellent, almost better than squeezed. We shall ask tomorrow if there has been a change here. By the way, the menu format was the same as on our last cruise. Food was great, as was the excellent service.

Our usual sea day morning pattern is taking a long walk on the lower promenade deck. Have we mentioned that we spotted new chair pads on the teak lounges on deck 3? Very much needed, and so much nicer-looking. Today we cut the walk short to attend the first Cruise Critic meeting in the Crow’s Nest at 10am. The place was busting at the seams, mostly with folks we know. We have met some of the nicest people from attending these meetings. We have to give huge kudos to the group of people that have made these meetings possible. They have invested a lot of time and effort into communications online. They have also added some new activities which include a gift swap, a cabin crawl, and a possible casino group play. Some are gathering for a couple of cocktail parties, and of course, independent tour options. The only staff member to put in a few words was the future cruise consultant, Tina. She briefly mentioned that if anyone was thinking of booking the 2018 Grand Voyage, they needed to move quickly, since it is almost sold out. Guess the passengers have been waiting for an African itinerary for a change. We know we are.

We got in an hour of unpacking before we headed for lunch in the dining room. Barb met us at 12:30pm after attending the first trivia game in the Ocean Bar. Hope she has a good team, because she is usually a big winner, or close to it. She has teased us incessantly to join her, but trivia is not one of our strong suits. And that is our pool time quite often, and we can’t do both.

It seemed like a miracle that by 6pm, we had finally come close to finishing the unpacking. It is incredible how much stuff you can store in these rooms. Even our four empty duffels, and three suitcases fit under the bed. There was enough space to store our down jackets, and three life vests. One of the smaller duffels acts as our drug store, holding all the extra toiletries we will need for 4 ½ months. A hanging shoe bag takes care of the rest of the small stuff. We use the wicker shoe basket to hold any overflow….things we need, but not that often. Finally, we always keep a list of what we began with, then follow up with what was left at the end. It does help over or under packing.

Thank goodness for the complimentary laundry and pressing. The clothes that got hopelessly wrinkled will be sent out for pressing in daily batches. Speaking of laundry, the bag we turned in this morning, was delivered to our room before dinner, all clean and neatly folded. How’s that for service? Awesome, we say.

There is a new booklet in our room that has replaced the old pamphlets and room service menu. It is titled “Welcome” and includes everything you need to know while on the ship. It is referred to as “The Orange Book”. The in-room dining menu is in this booklet, among other info. The breakfast menu has the usual offerings, but now includes three fancier entrees priced from $4.95 to $7.50. The all-day menu offers complimentary starters, sandwiches, entrees and desserts. There are two paninis, a bbq pulled pork sandwich, and a club sandwich. A “later” menu (11pm to 6am) offers a limited variety of the all-day menu, all free. There is a kid’s menu with among other things, mac and cheese, pasta, hot dogs, chicken nuggets, and peanut butter and jelly. Great idea. Some of the charged items are the Dive-In burgers, chicken breast, and hot dogs for $4.95 each. Finally, for an evening meal, you can order steak or lobster dinners from the Pinnacle Grill for $15 to $20.

Before we got ready for dinner, we were summoned to the front desk to get new room cards to replace the ones we got yesterday. Our color is silver with the President’s Club logo on the lower right corner. We don’t care what they look like, as long as they open our door, and scan us on and off the ship. We have been told that people buy those neck lanyards so they can show off their Mariner status or suite status. Silly, isn’t it? And here we always thought these folks had no pockets and kept their key in a safe and secure place.

Everyone showed up for dinner tonight. We are so glad our new tablemates ended up liking our group. The conversation flowed from 8pm to 10:15pm. Once again, we were among the last to leave the dining room. Doesn’t appear that anyone of us was going to attend the entertainment in the Queen’s Lounge, Jon Courtenay – the piano, the comedy, the show. Sounds like a new act for this cruise.

We’ll add the finishing touches to our room tomorrow, and we’ll be DONE.

Bill & Mary Ann

PS Just noticed that there are no more “good night” cards left on our bed every evening. A tiny cut-back we assume, but another change.

Report # 7 Sailing Towards Santa Marta, Colombia January 6, 2017 Friday Partly cloudy &77 degrees

Our second full day at sea was productive, as we got much more done in the room. That is good, since packing all this little stuff took weeks putting it all in double ziplock bags. We only had one leaker, and it was the bottle of foamy hand soap. Double-bagged, it contained it all. We’re not sure what happens to our duffels after they leave our house. All we know is that everything inside gets compressed, with some of the shampoos, lotions, or bottled soap getting distorted. And because the luggage sat for two weeks in storage, most all of the clothing was wrinkled. Good thing we have complimentary pressing. We have begun sending out eight shirts or blouses at a time to get pressed. The crew does a much better job than one of us going to the laundry room to use the iron.

A fun project was starting the window garden. We had brought amarylla bulbs and some narcissus, and eventually, sunflower seeds to plant. They are all hardy plants that will take little care. And it is fun to chart their progress.

The weather has warmed up, and so has the humidity. The wind is a factor however. Actually, last night as the ship traveled near Cuba, the seas got rough. Throughout the day, the swells deepened. It was still a pleasant day to relax at the aft pool for a few hours. The keyword here is relax……something we both really needed. Our port lecturer, Barbara Haenni, said after embarkation day, she and many of her crew friends needed three full days of sleep to feel normal again. Know how she feels. The only challenge about getting some sun was that we could have used bungee cords to tie ourselves down to the lounges. We happened to save someone’s flip flop, t-shirt, and towel before they blew overboard. Others were not so lucky, because caps went airborne, disappearing down to a lower deck.

Even though we both used sunscreen, one of us got a bit toasted. Always forget the power of the sun as we head south rapidly. One of the problems is that when you get into reading a good book, you can forget to rotate that chair. This tends to get you over-done on one side. Oh well, in a few days it will even out.

We got in some quality walking, then went back to our room and ordered our first room service lunch. It only took 30 minutes, and we can report that the new paninis were really tasty. We tried the roast beef and veggie paninis, with a small Caesar salad, served with a few slices of grilled chicken. The sandwiches came with a scoop of coleslaw and a pile of potato chips. One of the popular items on the old menu is missing in the new one. And that is their cheeseburger, that we really liked. If you want one, you now have to pay to get the Dive-In burgers ordering through room service.

There was a nice surprise waiting for us when we got back from the pool. We had requested to swap our initial alcohol delivery (President’s Club perk) for diet soda and a flower arrangement. The scotch and bourbon were not the brands we always drink, and if we wanted the good stuff, it comes with an added fee now. How much above the $40 allowance, we did not ask. You know, according to our parent’s advice many years ago, you do not look a gift horse in the mouth. Appreciate the fact that you are receiving a gift. However, they spoiled us the last two years, but with the recent change in personel, these perks are being cut back. Guess we simply don’t like change. We are not alone with our thinking, because many other PC members have voiced their disappointment as well.

Tonight, the first gala evening, there was the Captain’s Welcome Champagne Reception held in the Queen’s Lounge beginning at 4:30 and later at 7pm. We understand that this was not the usual Mariner welcome, since we had not received a formal invite to this affair. We did go to deck five to possibly check out the attendance, and also see how the folks were dressed. It was a mixed bag. We saw mostly sport coats, suits, and tuxes for the fellows, and fairly dressy outfits for the ladies. Maybe because this is a grand voyage, the passengers tend to dress more formal. Glad to see that the tradition has not totally died.

We made the decision to make a visit to the Crow’s Nest for a change, and skip the reception. Thinking the bar would be empty, we were surprised to find Martha, Bob, and Ruud already sipping their drinks. We joined them, and had a fine time. At least twenty more people we knew wandered in for the happy hour. There was no band playing, so conversation flowed. Our dinner mates were toying with the idea of catching the last half of the reception, but ultimately, their decision to stay here won out. At dinner, we asked Barb if she was able to order any drink she wanted, and her answer was yes. No champagne for her.

Gala dinner was special with filet mignon, lobster, lamb chops, and scallops or halibut for entrees. All ten of us had dressed nicely for the occasion, as we knew everyone would. All but one of our group have been on a few world cruises, so they came prepared. We stayed well past 10pm, so the show was out. The entertainer this evening was a fellow named Clint Holmes. He was featured as a 3 time Las Vegas Entertainer of the Year.

The second surprise was waiting for us after dinner…….two computer bags with the new WC logo on the front. They have a padded shoulder strap, with a few zippered pouches, and appear to be waterproof. Nice.

Our first port is tomorrow, not a new one for us, but a nice place to take a stroll.

Bill & Mary Ann