Senior discounts?

I've often seen ads and questions on cruise websites about signing up for senior discounts. Since there are so many "seniors" who are loyal cruisers, do the cruise lines really offer any discounts that are any better than the normal sales? I know there are real military discounts and the third person in the room discount, but has anyone ever had a senior discount?

I've often seen ads and questions on cruise websites about signing up for senior discounts. Since there are so many "seniors" who are loyal cruisers, do the cruise lines really offer any discounts that are any better than the normal sales? I know there are real military discounts and the third person in the room discount, but has anyone ever had a senior discount?

We got a BC resident rate on our Rome to Abu Dhabi cruise and the Senior rate was the same discount. Problem is though any perks being offered aren't combinable with those rates. I think we saved quite a bit and there were no perks offered on this sailing to lose.

Yes. Typically it's for anyone 55+. It's not offered on every sailing, but is definitely offered. When you go to the first page of a booking it will ask for state, if you have a loyalty number with them, and then usually check boxes for 55+ and military. So after that page is when rates you qualify for come up. Be aware that if the cruise line offers OBC or perks like a free drinks package, that may not be offered with these rates. Believe there are also AARP rates. I've booked under the senior rate before (not me but was traveling w one) and don't recall how much cheaper it was, but it was something.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have booked with the Senior Rate. The good news was that the Senior rate was combinable with Shareholder OBC. But make sure you also check the current promotions which may give you an even better deal. The Senior rate is not combinable with special promotions.

If one were to book a suite with a senior or resident rate would all 4 perks still apply?

every offer seems to be different. You just need to play with the numbers offered. The senior rate is not offered on every cruise . It seems to be random.. but often and it comes and goes on the same cruise.. I guess if cabins need to be filled then offers are made

If one were to book a suite with a senior or resident rate would all 4 perks still apply?

the perks associated with the suite always apply, regardless of rate. e.g. Royal Suite would still get unlimited specialty dining and premium beverage package, unlimited internet, etc.

the "go Best" types of perks generally are NOT included with special rates such as senior, military, interline, etc.

Edited by Nachosdelux
the perks associated with the suite always apply, regardless of rate. e.g. Royal Suite would still get unlimited specialty dining and premium beverage package, unlimited internet, etc.

the "go Best" types of perks generally are NOT included with special rates such as senior, military, interline, etc.

I called my TA today, and booking a suite under a senior or residency rate would negate all 4 perks.

I called my TA today, and booking a suite under a senior or residency rate would negate all 4 perks.

I had spoken with my agent at Celebrity regarding a Senior Discount on a Veranda. He said the Senior Discount would save us $800 but we would have to forfeit the two perks we had chosen. Then we did the math and went with the $800 as we had chosen the OBC and Gratuities.

That's true if you're in a Sky Suite or Celebrity Suite.

But Royal and Penthouse guests still receive all four perks as they automatically come with the accommodation level booked vs. fare type. We were in a RS on a cruise that didn't offer Go Big/Better/Best, but we still received all 4 perks based on the accommodation level.

Edited by BEAV
That's true if you're in a Sky Suite or Celebrity Suite.

But Royal and Penthouse guests still receive all four perks as they automatically come with the accommodation level booked vs. fare type. We were in a RS on a cruise that didn't offer Go Big/Better/Best, but we still received all 4 perks based on the accommodation level.

I think the exception would be the OBC and free gratuities?

Of course you would still receive the free internet and premium drink package. And of course the Utilmate dining Package.

Are you sure you received the free gratuities and OBC because of the accommodations?

Good luck in finding a senior discount.

I think the exception would be the OBC and free gratuities?

Of course you would still receive the free internet and premium drink package. And of course the Utilmate dining Package.

Are you sure you received the free gratuities and OBC because of the accommodations?

Thanks for the correction. Yes, you are right! We received the Premium drink package and unlimited internet along with complimentary specialty restaurant dining. The OBC was from the TA and not part of Go BBB.

Edited by BEAV

I had spoken with my agent at Celebrity regarding a Senior Discount on a Veranda. He said the Senior Discount would save us $800 but we would have to forfeit the two perks we had chosen.

Proving that the perks are never free. They are built into the price you pay for the cabin.

A dictionary definition: A perk is something extra you get

Not extra if you are paying for it.

Proving that the perks are never free. They are built into the price you pay for the cabin.

Well, but people who could get a perk-less price usually have to qualify for a different discount - senior, residency, etc. If you don't qualify for any of the promotional rates on your sailing, and the cheapest rate you can get is the one with the perks... then for you it is free.

X definition of the PERK - it is something free with a purchase....;)