Star Azipod News and progress

karoo

I would say this may be accurate (I would go 72 hours in most shipyards around the world), but add in the time to set the keel blocks for the ship, flood the dock, dock the ship, pump the dock and install services, and reflood the dock after repairs with watertight integrity checks, add at least 3 more days. And, the manufacturer does not keep entire spare azipods sitting around on the shelf.

And the parts are flying form Italy so that's another day!!

And the parts are flying form Italy so that's another day!!

Well, the question was how long to replace the entire pod, and these weigh too much and are likely too large to transport by air (may fit in special "guppy" freight planes, if dismantled somewhat), and they are only built in Finland and China.

The Carnival "poop cruise" disaster depressed cruise ship bookings across the entire industry for a year.

I can see this incident heavily affecting the willingness for Australia and NZ residents to book a cruise (any cruise) in the near future.

No. It has only trashed the NCL brand.

Bit of a dramatic statement....... A Technically qualified poster has already mentioned the ship retained its bow thrusters and this gives it the ability to maneuver in heavy seas and that the ship is already under the auspices of Maritime agencies regarding it's safety.

I don't think it is dramatic at all,

That patch of water is notorious. I think the same could be said for a ship with out main engine power in the Bering strait, where the weather can turn very quickly from calm to catastrophic.

No. It has only trashed the NCL brand.

I disagree. Does it hurt NCL the most? Of course.

But Australia and NZ are an "emerging market" when it comes to cruising, compared to Caribbean and Mediterranean. As such, there are a lot more people who have never experienced a cruise, or know of people who have.

So when they turn on the news and see "major cruise ship floating at sea without power - tugs on the way" followed by "the ship has missed a dozen ports in the past month due to engine issues" they say "thats not a vacation I want a part of".

Again, the poop cruise hurt the entire industry. No, this is nowhere near as bad as the poop cruise, but its the same media issue at play. Nobody wants to be stuck at sea and miss ports.

Maybe because we haven't sailed yet. It will be interesting to see what happens if the Star doesn't make it to Aukland in time. They already had modified the itineray taking off three ports, but adding an overnight in Aukland to depart on the 19th.

Please Auckland.

One thing is to put everything back and delete the visit to Port Klang as a first (next) change.

One problem I see is "Is there hotel room for all the people who intend to board in Auckland?" Good job it wasn't last weekend when there was a big sporting fixture and also a concert on.

I disagree. Does it hurt NCL the most? Of course.

But Australia and NZ are an "emerging market" when it comes to cruising, compared to Caribbean and Mediterranean. As such, there are a lot more people who have never experienced a cruise, or know of people who have.

So when they turn on the news and see "major cruise ship floating at sea without power - tugs on the way" followed by "the ship has missed a dozen ports in the past month due to engine issues" they say "thats not a vacation I want a part of".

Again, the poop cruise hurt the entire industry. No, this is nowhere near as bad as the poop cruise, but its the same media issue at play. Nobody wants to be stuck at sea and miss ports.

Honestly don't think it will impact the tried and true brands here. Princess Cunard and the like. People forget about such things quickly.

Well, the question was how long to replace the entire pod, and these weigh too much and are likely too large to transport by air (may fit in special "guppy" freight planes, if dismantled somewhat), and they are only built in Finland and China.

As I said read the tech press the parts are coming from Italy and yes there are plenty of aircraft capable of flying the parts - If they can fly entire 777 engines they can fly a pod

If the ship is in no danger of sinking, why would you consider transferring people off of it? I know the US Navy and the USCG would never consider this, even in calm seas, again reference all the cries about why there was no evacuation from the Carnival Triumph. And yes, people will get injured in severe rolling, and will dehydrate from sea sickness, but you also have a medical center with medical personnel and a crew that can assist them with basic care conditions.

I agree that and if things were that bad they would launch the lifeboats/ tenders. I am certain beyond any doubt safety is the main consideration. Think .... they are a public company by not putting safety first the possible reputational risk would be damaging. Costa .......

Thanks Ch.Eng. for your sound responses.

There is only one operating drydock in Australia capable of taking NCL Star - but the Captain Cook drydock in Sydney is a naval dock yard.

The delay in getting the two salvage capable harbour tugs from Geelong & Westernport is that they need offshore certificated officers to man them as apposed to their normal port tug work.

The delay in getting up to Melbourne - eta 02:00 12th - will be due to the very difficult task of getting an unpowered ship of this size through Port Phillip Heads. It's not called "The Rip" for nothing. Tides are normally up to 6 knots & today is a full moon with larger tides. Additional tugs may also be needed to assist handling the vessel through the Rip which will take place at slack water or with some inward tide.

Although I did not have a Melbourne pilot exemption cert. I have taken two ships through the Rip when the weather was too bad for the pilot boat to get out & with the pilots permission. He then boarded the ship inside.

There is only one operating drydock in Australia capable of taking NCL Star - but the Captain Cook drydock in Sydney is a naval dock yard.

The delay in getting the two salvage capable harbour tugs from Geelong & Westernport is that they need offshore certificated officers to man them as apposed to their normal port tug work.

The delay in getting up to Melbourne - eta 02:00 12th - will be due to the very difficult task of getting an unpowered ship of this size through Port Phillip Heads. It's not called "The Rip" for nothing. Tides are normally up to 6 knots & today is a full moon with larger tides. Additional tugs may also be needed to assist handling the vessel through the Rip which will take place at slack water or with some inward tide.

Although I did not have a Melbourne pilot exemption cert. I have taken two ships through the Rip when the weather was too bad for the pilot boat to get out & with the pilots permission. He then boarded the ship inside.

what a great sensible post

N Star was drifting approx 32km off Wonthaggi , very fortunately for her sea conditions were benign , this area of bass strait is subject to extreme weather that can change very quickly and without much warning

a large vessel drifting in that area in a southerly can expect to drift to the north at quite a rate

N' Star without her engines is a large area of sail that will be driven before the wind (despite bow thrusters)

It is quite possible tugs would in case of bad weather not have been able to assist and the ship could have been driven by the wind for some considerable distance

There are many hazards in Bass Strait warnings to mariners will reveal them

Anyone taking this area lightly does so at very considerable risk to life

The issues of FOC ships raises its ugly head again , even the most responsible of owners are tempted to cut corners at times

Kindest Regards

John Fisher RN Retired

As I said read the tech press the parts are coming from Italy and yes there are plenty of aircraft capable of flying the parts - If they can fly entire 777 engines they can fly a pod

If the parts are coming from Italy, then they have nothing to do with the pod itself, and are for the power supply and control system inside the ship.

Now, lets look at a 777 engine compared to an azipod.

The GE90 engine weighs 17,000-19,000 pounds (8.5 - 9.5 tons). The azipod weighs 135,000-155,000 kilograms (148.5 - 170 tons), or nearly 10 times the GE90, and the azipod weight is without the 27 ton propeller.

The GE90 engine is 24 feet long by 13 feet in diameter. The azipod is 11.5 meters (37 feet) long and 13 meters (42 feet) high.

Glad to see you again. I forgot about the Port Phillip Head. Yeah, that will most likely require a couple of tractor tugs, one to a side, while one tug pulls and another trails on a long hawser to help swing the stern.

If the parts are coming from Italy, then they have nothing to do with the pod itself, and are for the power supply and control system inside the ship.

Now, lets look at a 777 engine compared to an azipod.

The GE90 engine weighs 17,000-19,000 pounds (8.5 - 9.5 tons). The azipod weighs 135,000-155,000 kilograms (148.5 - 170 tons), or nearly 10 times the GE90, and the azipod weight is without the 27 ton propeller.

The GE90 engine is 24 feet long by 13 feet in diameter. The azipod is 11.5 meters (37 feet) long and 13 meters (42 feet) high.

What a great sensible post!

Apologies-was messaging my daughter as was picking her up from airport. Whoops - not a good multitasker! Driving while messaging not a good idea!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I thought I was the only one who types what I am thinking about on an unrelated matter. And sometimes I say aloud what I am typing in a different conversation.

If the ship is in no danger of sinking, why would you consider transferring people off of it? I know the US Navy and the USCG would never consider this, even in calm seas, again reference all the cries about why there was no evacuation from the Carnival Triumph. And yes, people will get injured in severe rolling, and will dehydrate from sea sickness, but you also have a medical center with medical personnel and a crew that can assist them with basic care conditions.

If a southerly change (a normal occurrence) had come through N'Star could have been on the beach in 10 hours (assumes 3 knots drift) , thats why it might have become a requirement to get people off her

Regards

John

Glad to see you again. I forgot about the Port Phillip Head. Yeah, that will most likely require a couple of tractor tugs, one to a side, while one tug pulls and another trails on a long hawser to help swing the stern.

Thank you for informative post...it has been very interesting to read.

I see it was reported that a third tug is arriving as well as you suggested.

Quote from onboard the Star

2nd tug is still (loitering) off the stern, a 3rd tug will also be joining us later today.

We're expected to enter Port Phillip Bay around 3pm