Get ready for Ocean Medallion Class™

IECalCruiser

I'm sure you won't be allowed sun glasses [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True, I remember being blocked access to board cause when they scanned my card to enter and looked at me I had sunglasses on....we were just coming back on board from the beach, had hands full with the towels to drop off in their dirty bin, cruise card and beach bag...security guy must have had a bad day as he snapped at me 'take your sunglasses off you cant board til I can see your face" I was like whoa...just said ok and had my husband slide them up on my head since I had no hands at that moment. We laugh about it to this day how serious he was over it. :eek:

Edited by cruzrbachoua

Believe me, if I'm allowed to upload my picture, it's going to show me with a full head of hair.

:D

As long as it looks like you. [emoji4] just tell them you shaved you head "yesterday". Lol

Makes me wonder if they will have time restrictions on us, like passport photos do. I think it's 6 months

Men grow or shave beards and mustaches. No new passport photo required. Princess still allows boarding.

Understood

However the passport office requests your photo be no older than 6 months

That's what I meant

I don't think princess pays that close attention to our passport photos anyway. It's on the return that Immigration reviews it [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since I don't travel with electronic devices... I see this as being more like "big brother" watching ... all in the interests of more profits.... will be interested in what others have to say when it goes into effect... then I can plan my strategy to avoid using it.

Fair point. I guess to me the medallion idea just seems too much like another of the "electronic leashes" that many of us cruise to get away from. A wallet-size card doesn't seem nearly as intrusive.

I hear stowing it under a tin foil hat will shield one from the dreaded medallions. :eek:

I really have to laugh at some of the paranoia. You have trackers in your phone and car. If you use Amazon or Uber your habits are on record. If you use the internet on the ship just to get your e mail, e.g., it's not a safe system. As for profits, how many of you shareholders were upset when CCL raised dividends 40%? Or turn down the shareholders credit ? Princess is very generous when it comes to OBC. Only one with military credit. Better FCC than HAL. They could increase profits by cutting back on those. Then there would be real screaming.

Medallions are ten months away on one ship and you would think the sky is falling.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Since I don't travel with electronic devices... I see this as being more like "big brother" watching ... all in the interests of more profits.... will be interested in what others have to say when it goes into effect... then I can plan my strategy to avoid using it.

Good luck opening your cabin door! :rolleyes:

Princess is only in business to make a profit. That's how business works. Without a profit there would be no cruise line and we would all be unhappy.

I'm looking forward to the new system. :D

Edited by Thrak

Uncalled for.

Totally called for. The uncalled for level of angst and downright paranoia is getting out of hand and would be totally funny if these folks were not serious. Developing a strategy to avoid the medallion? Really?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I really have to laugh at some of the paranoia. You have trackers in your phone and car. If you use Amazon or Uber your habits are on record. If you use the internet on the ship just to get your e mail, e.g., it's not a safe system. As for profits, how many of you shareholders were upset when CCL raised dividends 40%? Or turn down the shareholders credit ? Princess is very generous when it comes to OBC. Only one with military credit. Better FCC than HAL. They could increase profits by cutting back on those. Then there would be real screaming.

Medallions are ten months away on one ship and you would think the sky is falling.

Yep. All good points, especially the last!

Tom

Totally called for. The uncalled for level of angst and downright paranoia is getting out of hand and would be totally funny if these folks were not serious. Developing a strategy to avoid the medallion? Really?

[emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji122]

Al from Minneapolis

I really have to laugh at some of the paranoia. You have trackers in your phone and car. If you use Amazon or Uber your habits are on record. If you use the internet on the ship just to get your e mail, e.g., it's not a safe system.

Some of that may be true, but maybe it's just the kind of stuff that some people go on cruises to escape.

Some of that may be true, but maybe it's just the kind of stuff that some people go on cruises to escape.

Absolutely..."escape completely". I know I go on a cruise to escape the digital world. But I do get that some need to stay in contact with home and/or monitor where their cruisemates/family are. So long as they still offer me my paper patter and don't force me to have to use a device whether my own or theirs to get this info I guess it will be fine. I just like the ease of slipping the card into the back of my camera case...now I will have to figure out how to do the medallion as I don't usually have pockets. Saw the option of a key chain..so then I can clip it to my camera case or beach bag zipper pull. Wish the ocean.com site would open so we can hopefully see some of the stuff we can request/order with our medallions. Wonder when they will do that....

Wish the ocean.com site would open so we can hopefully see some of the stuff we can request/order with our medallions. Wonder when they will do that....

My first thought was that the stuff that's made for the Medallions won't be cheap (& I squeeze all the pennies out of my nickles :D).

In one of the videos showing the Medallion, I noticed a "hole" that's made to slide a chain through. I've got chains ;). Before I buy the available options from Princess, I'm going to see if I have something that will work.

You could even slide a "split ring" through the hole and use your already purchased lanyard (got a bunch of those, too).

IAs for profits, how many of you shareholders were upset when CCL raised dividends 40%? Or turn down the shareholders credit ? Princess is very generous when it comes to OBC. Only one with military credit. Better FCC than HAL. They could increase profits by cutting back on those. Then there would be real screaming.

Profits and OBC may be great, but most cruisers are neither shareholders nor military. And shareholders may have more reason than others to be concerned about CCL's business decisions. Rather than profits, maybe some people dislike what they see as CCL trying to cloak data-mining in the guise of "experiential aura."

And of course there's the question of whether the foil hat will protect against falling sky.

CCL's business decisions have been pretty good. Highly profitable and stock has risen. Owning 100 shares is almost a no brainer considering dividend and if you cruise on any of the CCL brands. As for military OBC, any male 66 or older was subject to draft and I see a lot of vets when I cruise.

Data mining goes on anytime you Google or Bing or use Facebook, etc. Can't be avoided unless you live in a cave. Every time you use your passport, fill out customs declaration, buy something you are being mined (buy at DI, e.g., in the Caribbean and get e mails).

Angst?

Paranoia?

Getting out of hand?

Who's serious?

My first thought was that the stuff that's made for the Medallions won't be cheap (& I squeeze all the pennies out of my nickles :D).

In one of the videos showing the Medallion, I noticed a "hole" that's made to slide a chain through. I've got chains ;). Before I buy the available options from Princess, I'm going to see if I have something that will work.

You could even slide a "split ring" through the hole and use your already purchased lanyard (got a bunch of those, too).

So true I know they wont be cheap and I am with you about the pennies...but if the standard thing that comes with the medallion is a true watch band I will just hook that to my bag.....I totally forgot about the hole but I wonder if the hole is for the ring attached to the chain and you snap the medallion into it or if the medallion has the hole...if it has the hole then I will use any key chain with the carbineer type thing on it to hook or heck I will get some ribbon if the hole is a smaller hole that wont allow for the bigger key chain type rings. I planned on using it over and over so long as they snap in/out which I assume they would if we believe the promo videos.

So true I know they wont be cheap and I am with you about the pennies...but if the standard thing that comes with the medallion is a true watch band I will just hook that to my bag.

I got the impression from watching the videos and reading the info that the watch bands, etc are OPTIONS (read $$).

BTW: earlier in the thread, there was a question/concern about whether the Medallion would be color coded for Captain Circle status...doesn't look like it.

From the FAQ: Can I personalize the Ocean Medallion?

Yes! You can customize your Medallion with a choice of colors. It will also be laser-etched with your name, ship, and sail date.

Edited by JF - retired RRT

Data mining goes on anytime you Google or Bing or use Facebook, etc. Can't be avoided unless you live in a cave. Every time you use your passport, fill out customs declaration, buy something you are being mined (buy at DI, e.g., in the Caribbean and get e mails).

Does that mean we should have more of it?

I got the impression from watching the videos and reading the info that the watch bands, etc are OPTIONS (read $$).

BTW: earlier in the thread, there was a question/concern about whether the Medallion would be color coded for Captain Circle status...doesn't look like it.

From the FAQ: Can I personalize the Ocean Medallion?

Yes! You can customize your Medallion with a choice of colors. It will also be laser-etched with your name, ship, and sail date.

I think one of the videos...the speaker mentioned a standard band comes with it and if we wanted "prettier" or more sporty ones then those were $$..but that is why I hope we can see that on the site once it opens.

Well if we can choose our colors I know what DH and I will choose...purple for me and green for him, .......as I can see that possibly getting pricey to have all the different colors and see them maybe going back to just circle status colors, unless the special colors cost more than I will keep with the circle status color.