Get ready for Ocean Medallion Class™

IECalCruiser

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/technologyinvesting/coming-to-carnival-cruises-a-wearable-medallion-that-records-your-every-whim/ar-BBxS735?li=BBnbfcN&ocid=edgsp

I'm thinking it may be too intrusive, and am not pleased with the concept. They people at CCL are trying to make it sound like it's for the benefit of passengers, but I'm thinking it will benefit CCL and rake in more $$. Just the costs alone of developing and implementing the system will be passed on to cruisers in the form of higher fares.

I think it sounds great! We love the Magic bands at Disney World. I do hope they open the doors because it is very difficult to open doors on the ship if you are in a wheelchair or scooter. I am really looking forward to trying the new medallions.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Carnival also says the medallion doesn't contain sensitive information such as the stateroom number, much like a hotel room key.

...but...

In addition, interactive displays can offer personalized directions to guests' rooms.

So if somebody steals your medallion they won't need to know your cabin number because the system will just guide them there so they can pinch your stuff!

No thanks! :mad:

I would be interested to know if one medallion can be coded for 2 people. I assume you will have to have one in the room for the lights to work, so what will this do for those of us that right now take both cruise cards with the "Liquor Sticker" to pick up drinks for both people in the cabin? Will one person just have to sit in the dark, or could the medallion show the bartender that both people in the cabin have the drink package so two drinks can be picked up at once? I guess we will find out soon enough.

Why don't they stop nickel and diming us and just lower the rates.We don't need to pay for all those new tech advances.

Just because the NYT article says:

The cost is in the hundreds of millions of dollars, and, over time, more than that.

Analysts expect the technology to increase profits in multiple ways, including allowing Carnival to charge more for tickets, particularly on older ships.

Edited by caribill

Just read another article on Princess that talks about the ocean compass...since I read on 1 article that the medallion has no interactive screen or menus (if I am understanding correctly) this means you would need to be on a tablet or smart phone to access this ocean compass....will that use the internet minutes or be considered free like the princess one they have to chat? But either way I go on a cruise to unplug... I sit in front of a computer for work and the last thing I want to do on vacay is have to stare at my phone or a screen ...I prefer to escape completely with the only screens I see are camera and e-reader!

I have used Disney Magic Band and it was easy to use and wear.

Unless Princess medalillion is in something, it will be easy to loose, not all clothes have pockets to put it. Princess will probably charge extra to put it in something.

Per the NYT article:

And Carnival gift shops will be stocked with a wide array of jewelry, clips and key chains that passengers can buy to carry and display their disks.

From the NYT article:

"Unlike with smartbands, there is no need to tap a sensor on a stateroom door for entry; simply approaching the correct room with the Ocean Medallion in your pocket will unlock the door."

So, what if you are walking past your cabin and do not want to enter it?

- - - - - - -

From the NYT article:

"The technology will require the mass retraining of employees and substantial retrofitting of ships, including the installation of roughly 7,000 sensors per boat."

Maybe there will be a market for a device to hold the medallion that can shield the medallion from being detected. Looks as if Princess will be able to know where you are every minute you are on the ship and track your every movement. No more need to page a "missing" passenger. If you are on the ship with your medallion, Princess can find you.

I assume you will have to have one in the room for the lights to work, so what will this do for those of us that right now take both cruise cards with the "Liquor Sticker" to pick up drinks for both people in the cabin?

Just to let you know that you can slip any card the same size as your cruise card, like an expired credit card, into the slot and the lights etc will work.

Just to let you know that you can slip any card the same size as your cruise card, like an expired credit card, into the slot and the lights etc will work.

Yup. That is what I do now, but the medallions will take the place of the card and I assume communicate with doors, lights, etc.

Here is a sample medallion

The%20Princess%20ocean%20medallion_zps4wd8rurm.jpg

I wonder is Marie Rose the persons name? Tacky if it is.

Per the NYT article:

And Carnival gift shops will be stocked with a wide array of jewelry, clips and key chains that passengers can buy to carry and display their disks.

I'm sure they'll be selling knock-off cases, necklaces & bracelets on eBay to do the same function an a fraction of the price. They never miss an opportunity to make a buck.;)

From the NYT article:

"Unlike with smartbands, there is no need to tap a sensor on a stateroom door for entry; simply approaching the correct room with the Ocean Medallion in your pocket will unlock the door."

- - - - - - -

From the NYT article:

"The technology will require the mass retraining of employees and substantial retrofitting of ships, including the installation of roughly 7,000 sensors per boat."

Maybe there will be a market for a device to hold the medallion that can shield the medallion from being detected. Looks as if Princess will be able to know where you are every minute you are on the ship and track your every movement. No more need to page a "missing" passenger. If you are on the ship with your medallion, Princess can find you.

No more people being 1 hour late for an immigration walk through. :D

It will be interesting to see how a person sets their preferences and what can or can not be set. How does the medallion give you directions if there is not a screen? How would you change your drink/food preferences as you sit by the pool relaxing with a book? It is an interesting concept BUT will have to wait and see its implementation on a ship with over 3000 passengers.

It will be interesting to see how a person sets their preferences and what can or can not be set. How does the medallion give you directions if there is not a screen? How would you change your drink/food preferences as you sit by the pool relaxing with a book? It is an interesting concept BUT will have to wait and see its implementation on a ship with over 3000 passengers.

I was wondering the same thing. Perhaps it'll tie into a smart phone app somehow to give turn by turn instructions?

I can see people now walking around searching for someplace on the ship like their looking for Pokemon. :D

From the NYT article:

What about those of us with family in multiple cabins? Right now we have cards to both cabins. Will we need two medallions? Will both doors unlock?

What about crew? Will they unlock every cabin door as they walk down the hall?

How close exactly do you have to be?

This leaves a lot unanswered.

Whoa! I read the ABC News article and came over here to see just how many folks would complain about something new even before it rolled out. OMG!

I can imagine that if something like Cruise Critic was around in 1928, there would be lots of complaints about sliced bread too.

Carnival Corp will be testing this system on the Regal. The article I read says they're keeping an open mind about how it will work out.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/cruise-company-carnival-personal-concierge-tech-44540335