All Things Charleston 411

ChucktownSteve

I have been reading the BBQ recommendations with interest, as we are staying in Mount Pleasant (Hampton Inn on the Isle of Palms Connector) for two nights before our cruise, and we want to eat some good BBQ our second night there. We have a lot to pick from with the list on here and I appreciate it!

That leads me to thinking about dinner for our first night. We will have been driving 15 hours from Boston, leaving at dinnertime and getting to Charleston the next morning, so we will be pretty wiped out that first night and won't want anything fancy or elaborate. Our thought was to go to the beach that afternoon, probably Isle of Palms since it sounds so nice and is right near our hotel, and to just get pizza or subs to eat at the beach. We do the beach picnic thing all the time at our house on Cape Cod and it's something our family loves to do. Are there any great pizza or takeout deli/sub type of places in Mount Pleasant or Isle of Palms that you would recommend? Thanks in advance!

IAre there any great pizza or takeout deli/sub type of places in Mount Pleasant or Isle of Palms that you would recommend? Thanks in advance!

For pizza delivery I recommend Dough Re Mi. They aren't far from the IOP connector and your hotel is within their delivery zone. Andolini's is also good, but they are on the other side of Mt. P and don't deliver.

I have a few questions that I hope can be answered. I know much of this is objective and depends on what you like to do. I've never been to this area and we are spending a couple days. My wife wants to go to Savannah. What are the big differences between spending a few days in Savannah and spending a few days in Charleston? We're not big foodies or shoppers, but we like touristy and cultural things and basically seeing things we don't see in Dallas. Thanks for your help.

I have a few questions that I hope can be answered. I know much of this is objective and depends on what you like to do. I've never been to this area and we are spending a couple days. My wife wants to go to Savannah. What are the big differences between spending a few days in Savannah and spending a few days in Charleston? We're not big foodies or shoppers, but we like touristy and cultural things and basically seeing things we don't see in Dallas. Thanks for your help.

Savannah is a nice little town. You can do it in a 1/2 day or stretch it to a full day. The downtown area is about it.

In Charleston you can spend a week and not get it all. There's too much to list here but visit the Convention & Visitors web site for both and you'll quickly see the different things to see and do at each.

I'll let others brag on all the travel magazine lists Charleston tops. :D

http://www.charlestoncvb.com/

http://www.visitsavannah.com/

That's good to know. The original plan was Savannah, then Raleigh and then Charleston, but we may stay in Charleston, so a day in Savannah and then go to Raleigh. The original plan had us spending most of our time in Savannah, but if we can go down and back in a day, that might be what we do. Thanks for the advice.

That's good to know. The original plan was Savannah, then Raleigh and then Charleston, but we may stay in Charleston, so a day in Savannah and then go to Raleigh. The original plan had us spending most of our time in Savannah, but if we can go down and back in a day, that might be what we do. Thanks for the advice.

Savannah is nice, but unless there is something specific you're hoping to see there, I'd stick with Charleston. Similar feel, but more to see and do. Raleigh is quite a drive from Charleston so I'm curious how much time you're allowing for that. Is your plan to then return to Charleston for a cruise, or go to Raleigh after a Charleston cruise or what?

I've got half a day planned to drive to Raleigh and then I booked a hotel in Charleston the night before the cruise. So we'll get there when we get there the day prior. I hate traveling on a cruise departure day if I can keep from it but I don't want to feel rushed. But the plan now is Charleston, one night in Savannah, up to Raleigh and then back to Charleston the night before the cruise. I think the drives may be really nice. You have to remember, we have no trees or hills where I live.

Thanks for everyone's guidance. I am really excited.

I've got half a day planned to drive to Raleigh and then I booked a hotel in Charleston the night before the cruise. So we'll get there when we get there the day prior. I hate traveling on a cruise departure day if I can keep from it but I don't want to feel rushed. But the plan now is Charleston, one night in Savannah, up to Raleigh and then back to Charleston the night before the cruise. I think the drives may be really nice. You have to remember, we have no trees or hills where I live.

That is a LOT of driving to spend a couple hours each in a couple places! Is there something in Raleigh that you absolutely must see? It's about a 5 hour drive from Savannah so you'll get about half a day there, then another 4+ hours back to Charleston the next day.

I know a lot of people look for hotels with parking for the night before cruises. I highly recommend The Hampton Inn Mt. Pleasant/Patriots Point. Conveniently located in close proximity to Patriots Point, couple minute drive. We also found a nice park/pier that is under the Bridge, great for a nice stroll and enjoy the scenery. Hotel is right off the main drag so very quiet and away from the traffic, but close to main strip for restaurants, grocery, plantation proximity, etc.

Front desk staff was incredibly kind and friendly. Hotel was clean and modern. Nice hot breakfast in the AM included.

The deal is simply having a paid night and you can park there for the duration of your cruise, we did a 10 day. They will arrange transportation to the port for you for $20 a person round trip but you are not required to use. We had 3 people so chose to do an Uber XL at $13 and change each way so saved a bit there, only 10 minutes.

That is a LOT of driving to spend a couple hours each in a couple places! Is there something in Raleigh that you absolutely must see? It's about a 5 hour drive from Savannah so you'll get about half a day there, then another 4+ hours back to Charleston the next day.

Relatives in Raleigh:) We're doing 3 days there so it won't be bad. I think we'll spend a couple in Savannah. All of this will be before the cruise. I want to see this part of the world while I have a chance.

When are you planning on doing this? Traffic on I95 in the summer or holiday seasons can be absolute miserable and add lots o time to your drive. The 100 (+-) mile drive form Charleston to Savannah can be anywhere from 2-3 hrs depending on how bad traffic on 95 is.

As far as Savannah goes I really don't get the appeal. There is basically nothing down there you can't get in Charleston. Charleston to Savannah to Raleigh and back to Charleston is a LOT of driving. (and to be honest you are not going to see much different scenery on I95 than you would on I35 or I20/30. It is rough, crowded and flat.)

Relatives in Raleigh:) We're doing 3 days there so it won't be bad. I think we'll spend a couple in Savannah. All of this will be before the cruise. I want to see this part of the world while I have a chance.

Ok, well if you're going up there for 3 days that makes more sense. I read it as you were just going for one day. Due to all the backtracking though, I think I'd consider doing either Savannah or Raleigh AFTER the cruise, and the other before. (Whichever makes more sense, depending on where you live). Regardless, if you're spending all this time seeing Savannah and Raleigh, I hope you're giving yourself 3 or 4 days in Charleston. There is so much to see and do here!

This is the Lowcountry, you won't see hills here. Trees yes. If you're looking for sights and have time, Angel Oak on John's Island would be a great short jaunt. Any of the plantations would have nice strolls through moss-draped oaks. Personally, since you're going to see relatives in Raleigh I would not take the time to see Savannah. If you have the time, the "big three" for Southeast Coast history and architecture would be Charleston, Savannah and St. Augustine, but that would not be possible for this trip. You need to come back another time, lol.

Raleigh is great, my daughter went 4 years to NC State. When you're driving around there stay on the surface roads not the loop, if you want more scenic drives. It is 4-5 hours from Charleston, depending on your destination.

• 2 weeks later...

Strictly speaking, nothing to do with Charleston, but you are currently my 'go to' guys for US info...sorry!

Last time we were in the US, you had to pay for petrol in the station before you could use the pumps. I assume this is still the case. If you use a credit card (we've only done cash before), do you have to go in and leave your credit card with the teller first?

I know that most (all?) states don't allow opened spirit bottles in a car. Bearing in mind we aren't going to drink a whole bottle of vodka in one night(!), are you allowed to have the unsealed bottle in the boot(trunk to you) or something? What about botlles/cans of beer?

Thanks

Simon

Hello again. Spent the 13th and 14th of May in North Charleston. Although it's received many negative reviews on trip advisor and elsewhere the wife and I stayed at the Hawthorne Suites just off Ashley Phosphate Rd and had no problems with it whatsoever. The per night rate we got was just over $100 per night tax included. With all the negative reviews received I was quite worried what would happen but having no issue come up at all other then a complete downpour of rain that we don't see in Phoenix found it to be quite reasonably priced with what I found else where in the Charleston area. On Mothers day May 14th we took a 1 hour carriage ride with Old South Carriage Co as well as a 90 minute harbor tour on the Carolina Belle. Received discounts for both with my AAA membership and would recommend both tours. Lastly on that same Mothers Day although it was quite busy we did not have to wait that long and had dinner at the Fleet Landing restaurant. Seemed really popular but the food and service were both outstanding. Lots to see in the Charleston area we definitely were somewhat rushed only having the 1 full day to sight see prior to our 10 day cruise on the Carnival Sunshine. Would without hesitation recommend visiting there and hope to return for more then just the 1 day someday.

Last time we were in the US, you had to pay for petrol in the station before you could use the pumps. I assume this is still the case. If you use a credit card (we've only done cash before), do you have to go in and leave your credit card with the teller first?

I know that most (all?) states don't allow opened spirit bottles in a car. Bearing in mind we aren't going to drink a whole bottle of vodka in one night(!), are you allowed to have the unsealed bottle in the boot(trunk to you) or something? What about botlles/cans of beer?

Hi there,

As for pumping gas (petrol), you generally only have to go inside and pay in advance if you are paying cash; it keeps people from filling their tank and driving off without paying. You go in, tell the clerk which pump you're at, give them the money, and they preset that pump for that amount of money. If you end up pumping less, you can go back in and get your change. Otherwise, the pump automatically cuts off when it reaches the prepaid amount.

But, if you are using a card, you just swipe the card at the pump and you're good to go. :)

As for alcohol in your car, unopened bottles and cans of beer, wine or liquor are no problem; otherwise anyone leaving the grocery or liquor store after purchasing would be breaking the law. Bottles that have been opened, presumably some consumed, and the top put back on are the potential problem. They're considered to be an open container which is illegal in most if not all states. That said, on more than one occasion I've gone to a party that was BYOB, and took a bottle of vodka or whatever from home that happened to be half empty. Yes, if an officer finds some reason to stop me and searches my car, he/she could bust me for that. But if you are not doing anything that would cause you to be stopped, it's not usually something that would be an issue, especially if it's in the trunk (boot) where you can't access it while driving. When you hear that someone was cited for "open container" usually they were already stopped on suspicion of driving under the influence, running a red light, or some other traffic violation, and then the officer smells alcohol or has someone other suspicion that warrants a vehicle search, the half empty bottle is found under the seat or in the glove box and consequences ensue.

bobsfamily - hello, if you're out there!

Just booked 8/30 sailing from Charleston. Cannot believe that will be 4 years since I've last sailed from there!! I have 38 nights on Fantasy. It just happened that I was finding longer sailings to more interesting ports and fairly cheap air, so I've neglected Charleston for a while.

So, I always used to stay at the Hampton Inn West Ashley. Very reasonable rates, decent hotel, grocery and drug stores next door, fantastic sushi restaurant next door.

Seriously considering driving down the morning of sailing, but I just hate the anxiety and worry of "what if I get a flat tire?"

I'm going to check the rates there again, but will happily consider other options.

Note: I spent a night over at the HIE PP after a cruise once. I thought I was driving up and around to get there but wasn't paying enough attention and found myself starting over the bridge. I suffer from panic attacks on bridges over water. I honestly thought I was going to have to pull over and get out of the car and cry.

SO, I do NOT want to have to drive across the bridge. I could probably handle staying over there because I could drive directly there and could deal with someone else driving me over to the port.

Anyway, I still haven't used Uber. I've read some unpleasant stories about things happening to women on their own. But I'm going to have to try them at some point. Anyone know the cost from West Ashley to the port? Is it easy to get a car upon return? I'd rather not book a cruise package because of the jacked-up price which typically includes transport for TWO. Bad enough I'm already paying for two in just about everything I do!

And, I don't suppose embarkation has changed in the past 4 years, right? Same luggage drop off, shuttle .1 miles to the building, no separate VIP security?

I've already spent over 2 hours this morning searching for a hotel with parking and shuttle.

Do I want to spend $149 to stay out on West Ashley at the Hampton? Or stay at the HIE there for less but they're doing renovations and there won't be any breakfast included?

Would LOVE to stay closer in but nothing provides parking for the duration of the cruise, so I'd have to pay more and then also pay to park at the port (used to be $15/night; has that increased?).

I did find a parking package for the Andrew Pinckney Inn! $209 for a tiny queen room but includes parking and is in the historic district.

Looks like it's less than 1/2 mile from the hotel to the pier. I could easily walk that dragging one 21" case and a carry-on, right?

I'm not going to do anything in the ports, so no funds needed to go toward excursions, so I'm a bit more tempted to pay extra for the hotel.

Except I was going to work all day and wouldn't arrive until about bedtime on Tuesday evening which would rather defeat the purpose of staying downtown!

I hate making decisions!!!

EDIT: I booked it. Whatever. I'll work the Saturday before! I was afraid it was non-refundable but isn't (72 hour cancellation); includes continental breakfast, 2 tix for a walking tour, rooftop afternoon reception, and the parking. I may even walk over to Fleet Landing for some shrimp & grits for dinner. That way, I'll know exactly how long it will take to walk to the pier the next morning! :)

EDIT: I booked it. Whatever. I'll work the Saturday before! I was afraid it was non-refundable but isn't (72 hour cancellation); includes continental breakfast, 2 tix for a walking tour, rooftop afternoon reception, and the parking. I may even walk over to Fleet Landing for some shrimp & grits for dinner. That way, I'll know exactly how long it will take to walk to the pier the next morning! :)

Well Hello NC! Just logged on, been a week or 2 since I checked!

We actually looked at this booking because of it leaving from Charleston and going to Princess Cays... but it still goes to Freeport and it would be like the 30th thousand (or it seems) time.

Glad you made a choice, seems like a good idea. Still have not ruled it out, looking at one out of NO as well. The 29th is out 30th WA so gotta do something near that!

Have a wonderful time and any questions you can ask here or email me... rentabob at live dot com

As for alcohol in your car, unopened bottles and cans of beer, wine or liquor are no problem; otherwise anyone leaving the grocery or liquor store after purchasing would be breaking the law. Bottles that have been opened, presumably some consumed, and the top put back on are the potential problem. They're considered to be an open container which is illegal in most if not all states. That said, on more than one occasion I've gone to a party that was BYOB, and took a bottle of vodka or whatever from home that happened to be half empty. .

Generally if a open bottle of liquor (say a half gallon or liter) is placed in the truck (locked) of a sedan with no access thru the back seat it is not an considered an "open container"... in the back of a SUV is NOT the same.... notice I said "generally"!