Cruise Critic Community
texkan

Amsterdam Hotels ???

Sailing from Amsterdam to Basel. Will be pre-cruise in Amsterdam 2 nights.

Wanting a hotel in walking distance of center city. Any suggestions, please?

Are you interested in a large modern hotel or something more intimate? Two years ago we spent several nights at misc eatdrinksleep just of Nieumarkt Square. It only has 6 rooms (3 canal view and 3 garden view). Rachel and Pepijn are great hosts. Breakfasts were excellent. There is no elevator, but they will take bags up and down stairs for you. Highly recommended!

http://misceatdrinksleep.com/

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g188590-d501335-Reviews-Misc_eatdrinksleep-Amsterdam_North_Holland_Province.html

Are you interested in a large modern hotel or something more intimate? Two years ago we spent several nights at misc eatdrinksleep just of Nieumarkt Square. It only has 6 rooms (3 canal view and 3 garden view). Rachel and Pepijn are great hosts. Breakfasts were excellent. There is no elevator, but they will take bags up and down stairs for you. Highly recommended!

http://misceatdrinksleep.com/

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g188590-d501335-Reviews-Misc_eatdrinksleep-Amsterdam_North_Holland_Province.html

Just checked eatdrinksleep and no rooms for dates I will be there. Thanks for the info. Looking for room in $200-$300 price range.

Sailing from Amsterdam to Basel. Will be pre-cruise in Amsterdam 2 nights.

Wanting a hotel in walking distance of center city. Any suggestions, please?

I would use Hotwire or any of the major booking agencies. You can see where the hotel is located and read many reviews, eg. tripadvisor.

Small places are fine if touring by land , but for two days the hotels have facilities for everything you may need. Printers, taxis in front, etc. Just my opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Amsterdam is known for some big conventions, that might choosinbg a hotel limited. Check booking.com or hotel.com to get an idea about prices and whre the hotel is located.

Amsterdam is compact, nothing is far away and public transport is very good.

Thanks All for your input. So many hotels in Amsterdam. Did book hotel near the River Boats area and the train station.

I have been following your thread and wondered which hotel you decided on. I am also looking for a pre extension hotel for two nights. We will be boarding a Viking Cruise to Basel. I was also wondering how you will transfer from the airport, if you are arriving that way.

Thanks so much!

WHMS

I have been following your thread and wondered which hotel you decided on. I am also looking for a pre extension hotel for two nights. We will be boarding a Viking Cruise to Basel. I was also wondering how you will transfer from the airport, if you are arriving that way.

Thanks so much!

WHMS

Re transportation, take a cab for around E. 50,- or use Uber or Tinker to your hotel. Another option is this shuttle: http://www.schipholhotelshuttle.nl/

Thank you Ine. There are 4 of us so the cab sounds like a good idea. I am still looking for a hotel suggestion that is in a safe location but close to City Center with easy transfer for a Viking Cruise.

Thank you Ine. There are 4 of us so the cab sounds like a good idea. I am still looking for a hotel suggestion that is in a safe location but close to City Center with easy transfer for a Viking Cruise.

Hotels in the vicinity of Centraal Station and also Rembrandtplein, like Barbizon Palace, Victoria, Doubletree, Krasnapolsky, Banks Mansion, Carlton etc. just to name a few. Check e.g. booking.com re price and location, then either book through them or at the hotel direct.

Amsterdam is compact, nothing is far away and public transport is very good.

Thanks so much!

WHMS

We have booked DoubleTree by Hilton Amsterdam Central Station. Have been advised by someone that stayed there (we know) that it is a good hotel and a great location.

We are planning to transfer from airport via train that runs from airport. Understand it is not $$ and a great way to travel between airport and central city.

Booked hotel stay directly with Hilton Hotels. There are several places to eat in that area and a Starbucks at the station.

Edited by texkan

We have booked DoubleTree by Hilton Amsterdam Central Station. Have been advised by someone that stayed there (we know) that it is a good hotel and a great location.

We are planning to transfer from airport via train that runs from airport. Understand it is not $$ and a great way to travel between airport and central city.

Booked hotel stay directly with Hilton Hotels. There are several places to eat in that area and a Starbucks at the station.

We have stayed there twice before cruises, and love both the hotel (nice big rooms!) and the location. The train is good for the airport transfer. And almost all the tram lines converge at Centraal Station so it is very easy to get anywhere in Amsterdam for sightseeing. [Getting/using HHonors points is good too!]

Thank you for the responses. I will check into the suggestions. We are currently leaning towards the Banks Mansion due to their location, and it appears that they include Breakfast as well as wine and cheese in the early evening. Is anyone familiar with the Banks Mansion? Again thank you!

Thank you for the responses. I will check into the suggestions. We are currently leaning towards the Banks Mansion due to their location, and it appears that they include Breakfast as well as wine and cheese in the early evening. Is anyone familiar with the Banks Mansion? Again thank you!

I have a friend that stayed at Banks Mansion and loved it. He did say that it is on the $$$$ side and stairs are steep.

Great plan. I will give you one "warning." When you leave the airport, make sure that you get the train to "Amsterdam Centraal." We saw Amsterdam on the side of a train and got onto a train that was headed to another Amsterdam station. We quickly realized that we were on the wrong train, and another passenger was happy to help us, giving us instructions to get off at the next station and telling us how to make the short walk to catch a streetcar to the Central Station.

We have stayed there twice before cruises, and love both the hotel (nice big rooms!) and the location. The train is good for the airport transfer. And almost all the tram lines converge at Centraal Station so it is very easy to get anywhere in Amsterdam for sightseeing. [Getting/using HHonors points is good too!]

Thanks for your input on hotel. Always good to hear reviews from fellow cruisers :)

Great plan. I will give you one "warning." When you leave the airport, make sure that you get the train to "Amsterdam Centraal." We saw Amsterdam on the side of a train and got onto a train that was headed to another Amsterdam station. We quickly realized that we were on the wrong train, and another passenger was happy to help us, giving us instructions to get off at the next station and telling us how to make the short walk to catch a streetcar to the Central Station.

Great info - Thank You !

Do consider the Amstel. it is a famous hotel and the location on the canal could not be better. Service is top notch and the restaurant is considered on of the best in the city. Amserdam is a cosmopolitan city and easy to traverse. :)

We enjoyed our stay at Banks Mansion. Helpful staff -- bought tram passes, tickets for Rijks and Van Gogh Museums and canal boat hop on hop off passes from hotel staff. Bought our AnnFrank tickets ahead of time. Hotel does have good breakfast and small elevator. Near tram stops and several restaurants.

Just wondering, we are doing that rip next april. What are planning on doing when you reach basel?

Again thank you for the information. Do you recommend any particular rooms at the Banks Mansion? Do you recommend any restaurants that are near by?

Azmini,

When we reach Basel we are planning our own post extension in Lucerne. We will travel from Basel to Lucerne which we understand is about an hour by train. We will stay in Lucerne for two nights and then the train to Zurich for our flight home. I have not figured out a hotel in Lucerne yet. If anyone has a suggestion for something near the train station that would be helpful!

Thanks

Azmini,

When we reach Basel we are planning our own post extension in Lucerne. We will travel from Basel to Lucerne which we understand is about an hour by train. We will stay in Lucerne for two nights and then the train to Zurich for our flight home. I have not figured out a hotel in Lucerne yet. If anyone has a suggestion for something near the train station that would be helpful!

Thanks

When we stayed in Lucerne, AMA put us up at the Radisson Blu, which was close to the train station (on the Lake side) and very nice [but, as with many hotels in Europe, remember to bring your own washcloths!]. Others on our post-cruise extension were at the Continental-Park, on the other side of the train station, and did not like it as well.

Again thank you for the information. Do you recommend any particular rooms at the Banks Mansion? Do you recommend any restaurants that are near by?

Avoid rooms on the top floor -- they have low, slanted ceilings. We had a canal view on the third floor and liked the view. Snacks all day long in the lobby area were nice. We ate three times at El Castillo, a Spanish/Argentine restaurant we came across while walking on the street behind the hotel on our way to check out the many restaurants on the nearby Rembrandtplein, where did have a good meal of thick pea soup and sandwiches at a Dutch cafe. Also enjoyed dinner at an Indian restaurant across the street from El Castillo.