Cruise Critic Community
texkan

Amsterdam Hotels ???

I stayed at the Banks Mansion last year too:).......I can't believe it has been almost 1 full year since my cruise:eek:

I would recommend this hotel very highly and would stay here again.

Last summer we stayed at the Hotel Estherea in Amsterdam. It has a lovely view of Singel canal. Dam square, central railway station, the main shopping area, museums, theatres and restaurants are all within walking distance. The breakfast was delicious with a good variety. Helpful staff. We will stay there again next year!

http://www.estherea.nl/en/index.html

Trip Advisor:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g188590-d229151-Reviews-Hotel_Estherea-Amsterdam_North_Holland_Province.html

Last summer we stayed at the Hotel Estherea in Amsterdam. It has a lovely view of Singel canal. Dam square, central railway station, the main shopping area, museums, theatres and restaurants are all within walking distance. The breakfast was delicious with a good variety. Helpful staff. We will stay there again next year!

http://www.estherea.nl/en/index.html

Trip Advisor:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g188590-d229151-Reviews-Hotel_Estherea-Amsterdam_North_Holland_Province.html

We stayed at the Hotel Estherea as well in 2013. Loved it! Very close to everything and a very accommodating staff - they had a cat who sat on the reception desk!

Allyson

Azmini,

When we reach Basel we are planning our own post extension in Lucerne. We will travel from Basel to Lucerne which we understand is about an hour by train. We will stay in Lucerne for two nights and then the train to Zurich for our flight home. I have not figured out a hotel in Lucerne yet. If anyone has a suggestion for something near the train station that would be helpful!

Thanks

We rented a car in Basel, drove to Lausanne for a few days while making some very interesting stops along the way in Gruyere for a cheese factory tour and in Broc for an amazing chocolate factory tour. We spent a few days in Lausanne and then stopped in Interlaken on the way to Lucerne where we stayed at Hotel des Balances. Highly recommend that hotel. Parking was free. We did multiple day trips from Lucerne. The big bonus was the highly pleasurable drive through the Swiss countryside and the ability to stop whenever and wherever we wanted. The roads and tunnels in Switzerland are amazing!

We've stayed in Hotel Ambassade in Amsterdam and can highly recommend. On our next trip we'll be staying in the Pulitzer which seems to be on par with Ambassade. Both are comprised of canal houses that have been refurbished and connected and are both very well located.

We rented a car in Basel, drove to Lausanne for a few days while making some very interesting stops along the way in Gruyere for a cheese factory tour and in Broc for an amazing chocolate factory tour. We spent a few days in Lausanne and then stopped in Interlaken on the way to Lucerne where we stayed at Hotel des Balances. Highly recommend that hotel. Parking was free. We did multiple day trips from Lucerne. The big bonus was the highly pleasurable drive through the Swiss countryside and the ability to stop whenever and wherever we wanted. The roads and tunnels in Switzerland are amazing!

Check Hotel des Balances site and find there is a charge for parking. Can you tell me how to get the Free Parking?

Another fascinating stop, on the way into Lucerne or as an easy day trip is Fortress Furigen in Stansstad. Camoflaged fortifications built into the side of a mountain capable of launch missles and possibly airplanes right from a tunnel. It is now a museum. You can tour the hospital, barracks, mess hall, etc.

Gourmet Gal, we will be renting a car in Basel at the end of our cruise and plan to spend a few days exploring, winding up in Lucerne and flying out of Zurich. Were you able to find someplace to rent your car that was near the port where your ship docked, and did getting to it require your taking a taxi? Wondering if we'll have to get a cab from the port to the rental office. Of course, like so many, we won't know exactly where our boat will dock in Basel until the time comes. Is there a certain area of town which is the most convenient location to rent cars from?

Thanks for any advice!

We just took the Uniworld included shuttle to the airport and picked up our reserved car there. The airport is small and not very far from the dock.

Amsterdam is known for some big conventions, that might choosinbg a hotel limited. Check booking.com or hotel.com to get an idea about prices and whre the hotel is located.

Amsterdam is compact, nothing is far away and public transport is very good.

Hi Ine, I am a single traveler that could use your advice on a hotel that would be good for a single person to stay at and walk out the door and be close to some interesting points of interest such as Anne Frank's house or something else interesting. I will be going on Viking Modi Oct 16, 2017, will be in Amsterdam for two days pre cruise. What about Doubletree at Centrraal Station, O0sterdoksstraar 4, Amsterdam, will this be close to something's or need a lot of cab rides? Is it close to the River docking place? Friends staying at Movenpick (I want to use Hilton points) is it close to them? Thank you for your help, Pat

Hi Ine, I am a single traveler that could use your advice on a hotel that would be good for a single person to stay at and walk out the door and be close to some interesting points of interest such as Anne Frank's house or something else interesting. I will be going on Viking Modi Oct 16, 2017, will be in Amsterdam for two days pre cruise. What about Doubletree at Centrraal Station, O0sterdoksstraar 4, Amsterdam, will this be close to something's or need a lot of cab rides? Is it close to the River docking place? Friends staying at Movenpick (I want to use Hilton points) is it close to them? Thank you for your help, Pat

The Doubletree is located near the port and also near Centraal Station, where most of the tram lines start -- so it is very convenient to get almost anywhere in Amsterdam. It is a very nice hotel with large rooms and good services.

Check out Trip Advisor for Amsterdam hotels. Doubletree (#59) is relatively close to your friends' hotel (#50).

There is more than one place where ships can dock. One docknis in an industrial area-Coenhaven. Google "berth reservations Amsterdam" to find out where the ship will be. I don't know, however, how far in advance that berth reservations are posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We did the Rhine Getaway on Viking last August. We've been to Amsterdam before so we wanted to spend more time than the 2 days of the Viking extension.

I did a lot of research on hotels. We wanted a boutique hotel in canal houses, not an international chain. The Estherea, Ambassade and Banks Mansion were some of the ones we considered, but we chose the Toren based on reviews and photos.

It was expensive but so fabulous. The staff were wonderful, so helpful and they upgraded us to a better room.

We asked them if they had any suggestions about getting there from the airport. They said they could provide a car service. We looked into several options but the idea of having someone meet us at customs with a sign after a long transatlantic flight won out. Again it cost more but it was so nice to have no hassle and a driver who knew exactly where the hotel was.

The Toren is on the Kaisersgracht a block or so from the Anne Frank house and very convenient. We loved starting our cruise in such a wonderful way.

On the docking location for the ships, I highly recommend the Port of Amsterdam app. We could see the ship on their map and show it to the cab driver. It was great

We are staying at the Grand Hotel Amrath right now. It is our third or fourth time here. Super place; close to everything. I would recommend it to anyone going on a river cruise. We are embarking our ship tomorrow and it is docked a 10 minute walk from the hotel.

We are staying at the Movenpick which is right on the harbour and walking distance to the pier and centraal train station so easy access from the airport too. It has club rooms and amazing views over Amsterdam Port.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Radisson Blu isn't too far away but it does involve some busy streets. Great location for walking Amsterdam and close to restaurants, bars, etc. 15 minutes to the train station.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are staying at the Movenpick which is right on the harbour and walking distance to the pier and centraal train station so easy access from the airport too. It has club rooms and amazing views over Amsterdam Port.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Be aware river cruiseships most of the times are docked not at the cruiseterminal, but at some points around Centraal Station.

Hotel Estherea. A small boutique hotel on a lovely canal. Walkable distance to everywhere. Very quiet and peaceful area.

Movenpick is within walking, tram or short taxi ride to most of the cruise terminals except those over the canal!