Favorite Moment of Any Cruise

Russterus

In 2007 I was on golf themed Crystal Cruise doing a British Isles itinerary. Golf great Billy Casper was the guest of honor. That day at St. Andrews I got to play a few holes with Billy, and then he left to play a bit with other cruise guests. As we approached the 18th green we could see some folks assembled at the back of the green. It was Billy, the club pro, the cruise ship pro, and a photographer. My approach shot was just short, and my chip was about 15 feet away. Now I have a 15 footer for a par on the 18th at St. Andrews with everyone watching. I am nervous, and all I could think at that very moment was how do these pros make a $500,000 putt? At any rate, by the grace of the golf gods, I drained the putt, and as I went to the cup to retrieve my ball, the St. Andrews pro said in a way only a Scotsman could, "Laddie, maybe I should be taking lessons from you." It doesn't get any better than that. A moment I will always cherish.

Now that is a great story:) (yes, I LOVE golf):D

In 2007 I was on golf themed Crystal Cruise doing a British Isles itinerary. Golf great Billy Casper was the guest of honor. That day at St. Andrews I got to play a few holes with Billy, and then he left to play a bit with other cruise guests. As we approached the 18th green we could see some folks assembled at the back of the green. It was Billy, the club pro, the cruise ship pro, and a photographer. My approach shot was just short, and my chip was about 15 feet away. Now I have a 15 footer for a par on the 18th at St. Andrews with everyone watching. I am nervous, and all I could think at that very moment was how do these pros make a $500,000 putt? At any rate, by the grace of the golf gods, I drained the putt, and as I went to the cup to retrieve my ball, the St. Andrews pro said in a way only a Scotsman could, "Laddie, maybe I should be taking lessons from you." It doesn't get any better than that. A moment I will always cherish.

If this happened to me, I would walk away from this thinking "I just won life." Great story and what a memory!

Edited by Russterus

Great story; well written, too![emoji846]

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I am so enjoying reading this post! Our last cruise had to be cancelled for health issues, now I am really looking forward to so many little things others have mentioned!

Definitely the 'boing' on boarding.

Opening the champagne on the balcony before leaving port.

Watching the last rope come off.

First night dining in Tuscan Grill on S class hopefully timed as the lights of the port slowly fade away...

After months and (sometimes) years of planning my cruise, researching ports in cruise critic, reading reviews I step off the gangway onto the ship I know my vacation has begun. I know I will love every second of my trip. Can't wait for my next trip in a few months.

What a great thread!

My favourite part of a cruise starts even before the cruise!

I get very excited at two specific moments...

The first is when I open up my closet that contains all of my summer clothes that I haven't seen for months and I start laying things out on the bed to pack.

The second is when I've checked my bags at the airport and wait at the gate that either says "Fort Lauderdale," "Miami," or "West Palm Beach." It's that feeling that once I know I'm going away to someplace warm I get super excited - there's no going back at that point! :)

I love the planning too and today, 2 weeks before leaving for Miami, the holidays are over, the company is gone and I placed my suitcases in a spare bedroom and have started sorting stuff to pack. I love the feeling of going through my cruise folder and lists and checking things off as they are done.

Onboard, I love getting my SeaPass, knowing it will allow me to do many fun things. I also love opening the cabin door for the first time and seeing all the stuff lined up on the bed.

One of the most memorable moments on a cruise: it happened on our first and only cruise with our kids, just before they all left home and got married, etc. My husband and I were on the top deck by the pool (RCI) in loungers sipping margaritas on a beautiful starry night about midnight, knowing our kids 17-23 years old were off having adventures of their own. A Caribbean band was playing, people were dancing and life was good. All of a sudden a conga line formed and people were streaming by us with legs kicking - we both laughed out loud as we watched all 4 of our kids go by in the conga line, laughing with delight.

We have had many such moments of joy on our cruises, but that one stands out. Okay, back to packing.... :)

My most favorite moment was on the Reflection. We had an overnight in Istanbul.

The next morning we were awakened before sunrise by the voice of a man calling the faithful to prayer. We opened the veranda door and saw the minarets of the Mosques all around us lit up in the darkness. The stars were shining and a quarter of the Moon could be seen.

It was magical.

My most favorite moment was on the Reflection. We had an overnight in Istanbul.

The next morning we were awakened before sunrise by the voice of a man calling the faithful to prayer. We opened the veranda door and saw the minarets of the Mosques all around us lit up in the darkness. The stars were shining and a quarter of the Moon could be seen.

It was magical.

Sounds amazing!

I'm not a fan of embarkation day - no matter how it's handled I find it stressful - so my favorite moment of any cruise is at the end of that day.

We've boarded, un-packed, went to muster, had a great meal and some fine wine. Walked the ship and enjoyed the excitement of a new adventure about to begin.

Back at "my" cabin - settled in for the night, cocktail/wine in hand - I'm on the balcony, gazing at the stars, moon and the sound of that black water flowing bye. Finally relaxation sets in - love THAT moment. :o

It is a toss up for me. First is the minute we get past the ship's photographers and their annoying hustle. It just bugs me they way they go about it. Second is the moment the OP mentioned, minus the wine glass for me but that is just my choice. Yes, there is something really nice about being out on the veranda for the first time and just taking in the harbor scene....that "we are really here" moment.

Great stories. Getting on the ship is the best for me. Especially fun if I've never been on the ship before, so much to explore.

Usually the first sea day when I know there is nothing I have to do that day (not like excursions are "have to do"). Room service breakfast on the balcony just chilling.....

LOVE THIS POST!!! Anticipation of the cruise is almost as good as the cruise itself. Love reading cruise critic and going to You Tube to watch videos.

Best cruise moment for me-First full day of cruise was at the cruises private island. My husband and I were in the water, just floating on our stomachs, head in the water, listening to the sounds of the ocean. It was sooooo relaxing, especially because I knew we still had the rest of the week to relax.

It is a toss up for me. First is the minute we get past the ship's photographers and their annoying hustle. It just bugs me they way they go about it. Second is the moment the OP mentioned, minus the wine glass for me but that is just my choice. Yes, there is something really nice about being out on the veranda for the first time and just taking in the harbor scene....that "we are really here" moment.

I never stop for pictures either....you mentioned their hustle...I guess

I have been lucky or else I give off a vibe that says "no thanks";)

But they have never tried to hustle me for a photo.....I just walk past

and make sure I don't make a whole lot of eye contact with them...you

might try that next time. IF they ask/tell me to stop...then I just, NOPE,

No thanks and I don't stop walking.....

We so enjoy heading to the Sunset Bar after Muster drill and getting acquainted with our roll call mates after communicating with them for months via Cruise Critic, and by email/phone with those we are sharing excursions!

My favorite moment is when the last line is removed and the ship is free to move.

Least favorite moment is Muster Drill when my assigned station is in the Photo Gallery.

The worst! We experienced our first photo gallery muster drill this summer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

walking into the atrium on embarkation day...opening your balcony door as you enter your cabin for the 1st time...when my GF comes out the bathroom fully dressed and looking incredible on our first night on the way to our first dinner and says "ready"

ironically, last cruise I happen to be up at 0330 in the morning as we were pulling into the Port of Miami to dock at the end of our cruise...we passed the USCG station and they wave back at me...it is total silence in the moonlight as the Captain effortlessly parks his/her ship parallel to the dock, as the crew tosses those huge ropes to the dock hands to tie up the ship

that's when I think about my next cruise

The best part is as you walk up the gangway to board the ship for the first time. Its all ahead of you, with a new ship to explore :)

The worst is when you put the bags outside your door on the final night, and realize its almost over.:(

What is your favorite moment of any cruise? I know, hard to pick one, but for me it is simple.

After boarding and before muster, sometime after rooms have been released, I love to take about 15-20 minutes out and just sit on my balcony, wine glass in hand and melt. After the stress of travel and onboarding, and the excitement of a first exploration of the ship, nothing is better. Like many of you, I work a high stress job. That little point for me is where I feel my vacation really starts, that I can relax with no greater decision ahead than; shall I have escargot or a crab cake for my starter tonight? For me, it is literally a physical sensation where all my stress melts away and feels so good!

That's my favorite, although what comes after is great. What's yours?

Carry ons dropped off. A lunch, then time to just wander about the ship. It doesn't matter if we've done several cruises on the same ship

My favorite part of any trip is boarding the airplane for the flight to wherever I'm headed. That is when all the stress of packing and hustle to get to the airport falls away and the adventure begins. Another favorite moment of travel that only pertains to cruising is watching the ship pull away from the dock from the embarkation port. :)

Lisa