Rental Cars and Parking in Seattle

alpine240

Hi everyone,

party of 8. we rented a minivan out of Seatac and plan to drive to downtown vicinity. We arrive on a Friday morning at 10am and leave Sat on a cruise in the afternoon

was wondering how bad parking is in seattle? we dont mind parking the car someplace away from downtown and taking public transportation around for a day while we sightsee. basically going to see the usual stuff..Pike, space needle and will research other out of downtown area spots to check out (thinking parking outside of downtown is more manageable and cheap)

the cost of the minivan was about $165 for a day.

we also rented a home for the night so parking our rental there is free (no hotel overnight parking fee)

thinking that shuttle or cab from airport to downtown for the 8 of us would be about $100 anyways so thought why not pay a little more to have a car to drive around in.

good idea?

thanks!

I can see the need for a car to get to the home rental if not downtown but other than that, why rent a car when you’re just going to park it for the day? Downtown Seattle is very walkable and there's always the Monorail to get to the Space Needle. That $165 will turn into $200 with parking and gas. A car downtown can be a huge inconvenience.

I also question how 8 people, each with a week’s worth of cruise luggage, will all fit in a minivan.

Hi everyone,

party of 8. we rented a minivan out of Seatac and plan to drive to downtown vicinity. We arrive on a Friday morning at 10am and leave Sat on a cruise in the afternoon

was wondering how bad parking is in seattle? we dont mind parking the car someplace away from downtown and taking public transportation around for a day while we sightsee. basically going to see the usual stuff..Pike, space needle and will research other out of downtown area spots to check out (thinking parking outside of downtown is more manageable and cheap)

the cost of the minivan was about $165 for a day.

we also rented a home for the night so parking our rental there is free (no hotel overnight parking fee)

thinking that shuttle or cab from airport to downtown for the 8 of us would be about $100 anyways so thought why not pay a little more to have a car to drive around in.

good idea?

thanks!

Thanks for starting this thread as I have the same questions! Can you share info on the home you rented for one night? We are a party of 10 and that might be an option for us!

With public transportation costing at least $2 per person per trip ($4 round trip) and with 8 people, i.e. $32 per trip, you're just better off driving downtown and parking the van while you tour around. There are plenty of parking lots or garages close to all the tourist points like the Pike Place market or Seattle Center/Space Needle, and even moving around a couple of times you'd probably still be money ahead, not to mention hours not spent trying to get familiar with bus routes, walking to and from bus stops or transit stations, etc.

Try to find a rental company with a downtown office where you can drop the vehicle before the cruise. You might find it easier and cheaper to drop the people and the bags at the cruise terminal (which one?) before turning in the van; only one or two people will need to take a cab back to the pier.

If you indicate where your lodging is, more help can be forthcoming.

Hi everyone,

party of 8. we rented a minivan out of Seatac and plan to drive to downtown vicinity. We arrive on a Friday morning at 10am and leave Sat on a cruise in the afternoon was wondering how bad parking is in seattle? we dont mind parking the car someplace away from downtown and taking public transportation around for a day while we sightsee. basically going to see the usual stuff..Pike, space needle and will research other out of downtown area spots to check out (thinking parking outside of downtown is more manageable and cheap) the cost of the minivan was about $165 for a day.

we also rented a home for the night so parking our rental there is free (no hotel overnight parking fee) thinking that shuttle or cab from airport to downtown for the 8 of us would be about $100 anyways so thought why not pay a little more to have a car to drive around in. good idea?

thanks!

YIKES.....$165 for a minivan rental :eek:

I highly recommend AJ Towncar Services while in Seattle. AJ is so nice, I know, because we have used him a few times for transportation needs while in Seattle. His number is (206) 697-5577. He is happy to give you a quote over the phone but I know he has a towncar that seats 4 comfortably that I think is $55 from the airport to Pier 91 or $45 to Pier 66 downtown...also hotels downtown. He has a SUV that is $65 from airport to Pier 91. I also think he has a 10 passenger van that is $12 per person (minimum 7 people). We have had him pick us up from Pioneer Square and also downtown Seattle and was ALWAYS on time, friendly, and great competitive prices. Here is his website that I just looked up. http://www.seatactowncar.com You will be happy you gave him your business Hope this helps you and others looking for transportation reviews. Tell him his friend from San Diego....Charlene....says helllooooo and have an awesome time in Seattle and on your cruise!!!

Thanks for starting this thread as I have the same questions! Can you share info on the home you rented for one night? We are a party of 10 and that might be an option for us!

Hi, we just used AirBNB and found a home that has 5 beds for 10 people (3br, 2 bath). It is within a couple of miles from the Space Needle area.

Cost was about $500 a night (plus some taxes), but better than getting 3 hotel rooms..at least for us.. :)

Edited by alpine240

With public transportation costing at least $2 per person per trip ($4 round trip) and with 8 people, i.e. $32 per trip, you're just better off driving downtown and parking the van while you tour around. There are plenty of parking lots or garages close to all the tourist points like the Pike Place market or Seattle Center/Space Needle, and even moving around a couple of times you'd probably still be money ahead, not to mention hours not spent trying to get familiar with bus routes, walking to and from bus stops or transit stations, etc.

Try to find a rental company with a downtown office where you can drop the vehicle before the cruise. You might find it easier and cheaper to drop the people and the bags at the cruise terminal (which one?) before turning in the van; only one or two people will need to take a cab back to the pier.

If you indicate where your lodging is, more help can be forthcoming.

we rented the van at the aiport and they have a return location in downtown (i think it was between the Space needle and pike place). our rental is a few miles north of the space needle.

The more I thought about this, I decided to keep the rental. I think we want to drive somewhere saturday morning that is outside the main downtown area, someplace scenic. I guess like if people visited Los Angeles, they might want to take a quick roadtrip to places like Malibu or Venice beach. :)

we rented the van at the aiport and they have a return location in downtown (i think it was between the Space needle and pike place). our rental is a few miles north of the space needle.

The more I thought about this, I decided to keep the rental. I think we want to drive somewhere saturday morning that is outside the main downtown area, someplace scenic. I guess like if people visited Los Angeles, they might want to take a quick roadtrip to places like Malibu or Venice beach. :)

Head to Harbor Ave. SW, a waterfront street in West Seattle with a killer view back across Elliott Bay to the downtown skyline. There's an upmarket brunch place at Salty's on Alki or the fun and funky Marination Ma Kai for cool Korean/Hawaiian/Mexican fusion (also killer margaritas).

Then drive out around Duwamish Head to Alki Beach (more restaurants opposite here too) for great views of passing ferries, the Olympic Mountains, and our own mini-Statue of Liberty.

View from Harbor Ave SW/Salty's/Ma Kai -

20091226_31a.JPG

From Alki Beach -

20140513_47H2.jpg

and

20140513_62B%20-%20Copy.JPG

Map - https://goo.gl/maps/JEmAy1J59Cp

Can't you drop off the rental at the pier prior to the cruise? I know enterprise has an office at both piers. Am I wrong? We are pricing this out as well. Between transportation to the hotel from the airport, from the hotel to the Boeing factory and to the pier, it seems cheaper to rent a car (we get a corporate discount so it is $125 for the 3 days) even with $20 a day parking. Am I wrong?

Can't you drop off the rental at the pier prior to the cruise? I know enterprise has an office at both piers. Am I wrong? We are pricing this out as well. Between transportation to the hotel from the airport, from the hotel to the Boeing factory and to the pier, it seems cheaper to rent a car (we get a corporate discount so it is $125 for the 3 days) even with $20 a day parking. Am I wrong?

hmm.not sure. we rented through Dollar I believe and they have a return location in town. I will probably drop off the group at the pier. return the car and take that 5 minute uber or cab ride to the pier.