Babies in pools

Hi all, noticed on the RCI website and several forums that explorer of the seas won't allow babies in the pool with nappies/swim nappies. Is there anything at all we can buy or do for our 12 month old to enjoy the pool. Someone mentioned packing a mini blow up pool for her to splash around in. Because if she can't come in the pool with us then we won't be able to go in either [emoji17]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, unfortunately, only the RCI Oasis, Quantum, and Freedom class ships have "infant only recreational water facilities" that allow children in swim diapers in them. There may be a childrens' splash area, but unless it is specifically signed to allow children in diapers, then they are not allowed. I seem to recall mention here on CC a while back about Voyager class ships starting to have infant pools added, but not sure about Explorer. Your only recourse is a blow-up tub (not a pool) that is just about the size of the little one's butt and extended legs.

One other comment - there have been a few parents who booked Explorer because they thought it had a nursery, and then discovered that it did not. If you read about the Royal Tots & Babies Program on Explorer, please do not confuse this with the Royal Tots & Babies Nursery. The first is organized play date, and the second is drop off nursery. There have been several angry posts in the past on this topic - a few specifically about Explorer, so just thought I would mention it.

• Like 1

Hi all, noticed on the RCI website and several forums that explorer of the seas won't allow babies in the pool with nappies/swim nappies. Is there anything at all we can buy or do for our 12 month old to enjoy the pool. Someone mentioned packing a mini blow up pool for her to splash around in. Because if she can't come in the pool with us then we won't be able to go in either [emoji17]

How does a mini blow up pool solve your issue of not being able to go in the pool if you can't bring your child with you? Space is at a premium on the pool deck. You most certainly won't be able to set up a pool next to the ship's pool.

Yes...you will have to take turns in the pool. If your 1 year old doesn't see it...they won't even KNOW there is a pool!

Lol!! It would be difficult to avoid that deck entirely, since that's kind of the central hub for being outdoors.

I had a 3 year old on the explorer and it was extremely difficult to keep her out of the pool and explain why she wasn't allowed in there, especially since at home she spent several days a week in one. That trip on the explorer is what made me say "never again" to taking a toddler on a cruise (not just because of the pool but also because she couldn't go to the kids program because she wasn't 100% guaranteed to be able to use the bathroom for #2 by herself). It was very restricting for me as a parent and there was very little for her to do as a full paying passenger. That's why anytime a parent comes on these boards asking if they should take their babies and toddlers on a cruise I say HELL NO! Save your money and wait a few years.

Edited by ColoradoGurl

Hi, thank You so much for your responses.

I've had a look at the ship and I doubt I'll be able to avoid taking baby past it. I was thinking a small bLow up pool so one parent could swim while the other watched baby splash around in the seating area. It's about 60cm in diameter, she loves water if she sees the pool she will crack it to go for a swim (it's the middle of summer)

I tried to change ships however we were unable to do so

Edited by seahawks24

Never really understood the rule of no swim diapers.

Noticed it was never strictly followed in Europe but is in the States...much more strictly than the no drinking alcohol in pool rule

US Department of Public Health rule.

Noticed it was never strictly followed in Europe but is in the States...much more strictly than the no drinking alcohol in pool rule

The reason is that no swim diaper can hold in more fecal matter, and cruise ship pools are not capable of filtering the water and making it safe. It's for the health and safety of the passengers.

Hi, thank You so much for your responses.

I've had a look at the ship and I doubt I'll be able to avoid taking baby past it. I was thinking a small bLow up pool so one parent could swim while the other watched baby splash around in the seating area. It's about 60cm in diameter, she loves water if she sees the pool she will crack it to go for a swim (it's the middle of summer)

I tried to change ships however we were unable to do so

There is no where to set up at blow up pool on the pool deck in the seating area.

Ecoli, found in fecal matter which cannot be contained by any kind of swim diaper, can be deadly to a small child or immuno suppressed adult. Pools on cruise ships cannot contain the chemicals required to kill ecoli.

Have taken small inflatable pool on the ships before and set up in a chair near a deck drain. Crew happy to bring over bucket of water. When done, pour water directly into drain. Small meaning like a portable bathtub.

I've seen this done on many cruises, many different lines. If you have a balcony just do it there, the floor has drains too.

I don't know what you want us to say. Your child with swim diapers is not allowed in the pool.

I'm not expecting some magical loophole, not upset with the rules. My only hope was to be able to set up a mini splash pool thing for my daughter but that question has been answered

Have taken small inflatable pool on the ships before and set up in a chair near a deck drain. Crew happy to bring over bucket of water. When done, pour water directly into drain. Small meaning like a portable bathtub.

I've seen this done on many cruises, many different lines. If you have a balcony just do it there, the floor has drains too.

Wow thank you that's all I wanted to know [emoji4]

We brought both kods since they were 6 mo on our cruises. We have done the blow up pool thing, utilizing on deck as mentioned above, on balcony, and in the shower! Babies love it and it's relatively easy. Target sells a duck one we used.

I totally disagree about leaving babies at home. I learned we had to have realistic expectations and adjust accordingly. Are they the same vacations as pre kids? No. But they're pretty amazing vacations with the kids too! ;)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

• Like 1

I understand it and I'm very glad they have the rule.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I'm reviving an old thread instead of creating a new one. I completely understand no swim diapers allowed in the pools Since this thread was created a couple of years ago, I'm not sure if the policy applies to the splash areas onboard Oasis class ships?  I believe I read that swim diapers are allowed at Coco Kay  At some land-based splash parks, they are allowed so just want to confirm whether that is the case on board a ship?

15 minutes ago, Mr. Candyman said:

I'm reviving an old thread instead of creating a new one. I completely understand no swim diapers allowed in the pools Since this thread was created a couple of years ago, I'm not sure if the policy applies to the splash areas onboard Oasis class ships?  I believe I read that swim diapers are allowed at Coco Kay  At some land-based splash parks, they are allowed so just want to confirm whether that is the case on board a ship?

Oasis class ships (and some other RC ships) have a swim diaper splash area.

• Thanks 1