Advice on what to do with luggage

BRUKREW

We are cruising in a few weeks. There are four of us and our flight after the cruise ends doesn't leave until 6:00 in the evening. We are cruising on the Freedom of the Seas out of Fort Lauderdale and flying into and out of Fort Lauderdale on Southwest. From what I was told, the Freedom of the Seas does not do the luggage valet so now we are stuck with our luggage practically all day! We were hoping to get an Uber or Taxi to Hollywood beach for the day to hang out until our flight left but what can we do with our luggage?? Anyone have any ideas??

Thank you!!

Edited by BRUKREW

We are cruising in a few weeks. There are four of us and our flight after the cruise ends doesn't leave until 6:00 in the evening. From what I was told, the Freedom of the Seas does not do the luggage valet so now we are stuck with our luggage practically all day! We were hoping to get an Uber or Taxi to Hollywood beach for the day to hang out until our flight left but what can we do with our luggage?? Anyone have any ideas??

Thank you!!

Add in which ship your are coming into and which airport you are leaving out of and you will get some good suggestions. I don't want to assume you are flying out of Fort Lauderdale.

Add in which ship your are coming into and which airport you are leaving out of and you will get some good suggestions. I don't want to assume you are flying out of Fort Lauderdale.

Edited my post. Thank you... I guess that info would have helped!!! Thanks again!!

Go to the airport, check your luggage and then enjoy your day. I know this means limiting your carry on. Maybe someone else has another suggestion. In San Juan there is a restaurant that will check luggage for free but I don't know of any place like that in the Ft. Lauderdale area.

Go to the airport, check your luggage and then enjoy your day. I know this means limiting your carry on. Maybe someone else has another suggestion. In San Juan there is a restaurant that will check luggage for free but I don't know of any place like that in the Ft. Lauderdale area.

You can only check your luggage 4 hours before your flight. We have had to sit in the check in area for an hour or more since we got to the airport 6 hours before the flight.

I would look for an Excursion in Fort Lauderdale that takes you to the airport when done.

Just a heads up. Some airlines won't take it too early. Delta Air I was dropping off 5+ hrs early, I got lucky only allowed checked it that early because I was first class...

Depending on what day he is flying there maybe a time limit that the bags can be checked at the SW terminal in FLL. I've scene it limited to 3 and 4 hours before the flight depending how busy it is.

We are cruising in a few weeks. There are four of us and our flight after the cruise ends doesn't leave until 6:00 in the evening. We are cruising on the Freedom of the Seas out of Fort Lauderdale and flying into and out of Fort Lauderdale on Southwest. From what I was told, the Freedom of the Seas does not do the luggage valet so now we are stuck with our luggage practically all day! We were hoping to get an Uber or Taxi to Hollywood beach for the day to hang out until our flight left but what can we do with our luggage?? Anyone have any ideas??

Thank you!!

There is a luggage storage at FLL. We used it when sailed Oasis last year.

Would use it again. Here's the link.:)

http://www.broward.org/Airport/FAQs/Pages/BaggageServicesStorage.aspx

I'll be in the same situation two weeks from now and I rented a car for the day. It might not be for everyone but it takes care of my transportation and luggage storage issue. I've got a one day rental for $30 tax in for a full sized car.

OP...another option would be to find a hotel that is close to the beach and airport that has a day rate. Split the cost with those traveling with you. Go to the beach for awhile, come back, take a shower and then head out to the airport. However I have no experience with this.

I'll be in the same situation two weeks from now and I rented a car for the day. It might not be for everyone but it takes care of my transportation and luggage storage issue. I've got a one day rental for $30 tax in for a full sized car.

I second the suggestion to rent a car. You get both transportation and luggage storage, all in one.

:)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Great idea! How did you do the rental? Do you have to pick it up at the airport?

Thank you!!

We are in a similar situation coming up in April except we are flying out of Miami but cruising out of Port Everglades. We decided to rent a hotel room for the day by the airport so we can kick back and relax by the pool and then take the free shuttle to the airport from the hotel. Our flight is not until 7:30 PM so we had a lot of time to kill. If you put in hotels by day in Google, it gives you a few options to choose from of websites that book rooms this way. I think we have the room from 10:00 AM - 5 PM.

We were on back to back on the freedom and on the dec.4th sailing they were not doing luggage transfers but on dec.10th they reinstated it.

I wonder if it's continuing and/or reinstated on other non-Oasis Class ships.

Edited by Big_G

From what I've read, all the major rental car companies offer a free shuttle between the Port Everglades and FLL as long as you have a reservation with them. If I remember correctly, it's about 10-15 minutes away.

As to how, I rented through Costco Travel but you can always rent directly from each agency or through third party sites like priceline, hotwire, orbitz, etc.

Edited by momo09
adding details