Is the food on the Liberty that bad?

Jenn1974

I am a firm believer in your cruise is what you make it. But with that being said.... I have read alot of reviews lately that the food on the Liberty is horrible. My friend and I leave Feb 23rd and booked the first night in the steak house so I am guessing that will be fabulous. But how is the food? I am really looking forward to trying Guys Burgers since the last 3 cruises I went on the ship I was on didn't have one.

Is the salad bar separate from the main buffet on the Liberty? On the Victory it was the same line and it made it seem really long.

Thanks,

Jenn

I went on two liberty cruises last year and everything was fabulous. I do think the salad bar was connected to the main buffet but to be honest I could be wrong.

Guys burgers is of course amazing, the Mongolian wok was delicious. No issues in the dining room either. We did have selections from the steakhouse on both cruises and it was one of the best steaks of my life.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The food on the Liberty is no better or no worse than any other ship in the fleet. We're not foodies, so we're pretty easy to please. If you're at the buffet and see something you'd like to try, but are unsure about it, just put a small spoonful on your plate. If you like it, you can always go back and get more. If you don't like it, at least you won't be wasting a plateful. I tend to skip the bacon. I don't like bacon that's limp and greasy. I prefer bacon that's crisp and well drained. I typically get ham. Also, you may want to pass on the flat iron steak if it's offered at the buffet. It tends to be very tough. I've often wondered, when someone complains about how awful their meal was in the MDR, didn't they ask their waiter to bring them something else? Only once did I order something I didn't like. It was calamari rings. They were overcooked and chewy, like eating cooked rubber bands. I asked the waiter to bring me something else. Very easy to do.

Edited by beachbum53

My cruise on Liberty was too long ago to comment. I would say that my experience with food on Carnival tends to be consistent throughout the fleet. I never came back from a cruise complaining about the food, except for some dishes (but also raved about some). But I pretty much knew what to expect. Also, the more I cruised, the more I knew how to get around problems, like making sure hot cereal at breakfast is hot by ordering hot milk on the side.

Edited by cruise pup

The food on the Liberty is no better or no worse than any other ship in the fleet. We're not foodies, so we're pretty easy to please. If you're at the buffet and see something you'd like to try, but are unsure about it, just put a small spoonful on your plate. If you like it, you can always go back and get more. If you don't like it, at least you won't be wasting a plateful. I tend to skip the bacon. I don't like bacon that's limp and greasy. I prefer bacon that's crisp and well drained. I typically get ham. Also, you may want to pass on the flat iron steak if it's offered at the buffet. It tends to be very tough. I've often wondered, when someone complains about how awful their meal was in the MDR, didn't they ask their waiter to bring them something else? Only once did I order something I didn't like. It was calamari rings. They were overcooked and chewy, like eating cooked rubber bands. I asked the waiter to bring me something else. Very easy to do.

When I order a main course and do not like it will ask the waiter to bring something else. Doesnt happy very often but from time to time something is just not to my liking.

Keep in mind that the opinion of the food is highly subjective, and you are probably hearing from a small subset of the people who have cruised on the ship when you read reviews, trip reports, etc.

I agree. And not all cruisers are here on CC so we take negative reviews with a grain of salt.

Just like on TripAdvisor..... you have to take every negative report with a grain of salt. People are more likely to go on a website to complain...because they are mad about something, more than someone who is happy. People who are happy don't write as many reports for that reason unfortunately...so websites have a larger amount of complainers than is truly the situation.

• 2 weeks later...

We sailed on January15th and the food was great. It seems all Carnival ships and the others as well serve about the same. Not 5 star or even close. But good. We tried the seafood place on deck 9 and had lobster, very good. Guys is always great. They have a burrito place also on deck 9 . They have excellent shrimp there, just have them load the burrito with them, Awesome. The sandwich shop makes a great Reuben sandwich.

Sailed on Liberty on her January 22nd 4 day cruise.

First night: dinner at Diamonds Steakhouse; free bottle of house wine or 50% off any wine on the wine list; service and ambiance superior to Holland America's Pinnacle Grill, but my Lobster Tail was just satisfactory(I had better Lobster in the MDR of Nieuw Amsterdam a few days earlier). Other food items at Diamonds were well prepared and tasty.

MDR: Night #2: Prime Rib--good, but not Prime, probably Choice beef. Night #3: Caribbean Pepper Steak--tough, gristly beef, very disappointing. Night #4: Veal Parmesan--excellent. All items that I chose that night were the best I had in Liberty's MDR. For Dessert, a Coconut Lime Cake was served and I could have eaten another serving of it if I had not been so full.

About 60% of what is on Celebrity "X"

"0%" of what is on RCCL, including their 'specialty restaurants

Well then we have different views on what is considered "gourmet". I have never been on Celebrity but I would classify a good 50% of what RCCL serves as gourmet and I'm good with that. Same with CCL.

Edited by Computer Nerd