Non-Smartphone on Epic

BamaLady#13

We have a Verizon flip phone that is not a smartphone. We need to have a way for our family back home to call us in case of emergency. If we take that phone and leave it on during the cruise, will we incur any charges, other than when we recognize the incoming number and actually answer the phone? Customer service at Verizon is of no help.

We have a Verizon flip phone that is not a smartphone. We need to have a way for our family back home to call us in case of emergency. If we take that phone and leave it on during the cruise, will we incur any charges, other than when we recognize the incoming number and actually answer the phone? Customer service at Verizon is of no help.

I would think if you have voicemail and the caller leaves a message then you would occur charges on your cell. When I spoke to Verizon concerning our smart phones they advise us to pick one phone to communicate and let them know in advance and they(Verizon) would setup an "overseas" account on that phone at $10 per day if used. If not used then you wouldn't occur any additional charges but if used, doesn't matter the number of calls either out or in on that day then you would have an additional $10 on your normal bill. Remember it's $10.00 for each day used. I would think that your flip phone would work the same way.... Call them back and get another customer service person or yet call a local store and explain the situation. Good Luck

I would think if you have voicemail and the caller leaves a message then you would occur charges on your cell. When I spoke to Verizon concerning our smart phones they advise us to pick one phone to communicate and let them know in advance and they(Verizon) would setup an "overseas" account on that phone at $10 per day if used. If not used then you wouldn't occur any additional charges but if used, doesn't matter the number of calls either out or in on that day then you would have an additional $10 on your normal bill. Remember it's $10.00 for each day used. I would think that your flip phone would work the same way.... Call them back and get another customer service person or yet call a local store and explain the situation. Good Luck

They need to make sure their Verizon flip phone is a world phone. It might not work outside the US on a cruise ship.

Edited by Charles4515

Since the calls go through the ship's cell tower, I don't know if that plan would work on the ship without incurring additional charges. We use that plan overseas - it's $10 a day if used, 100 voice minutes, 100 texts, and use the same data from your plan.

Since the calls go through the ship's cell tower, I don't know if that plan would work on the ship without incurring additional charges. We use that plan overseas - it's $10 a day if used, 100 voice minutes, 100 texts, and use the same data from your plan.

I'm sure dealing with "non" smart phones the smart plan won't be the same, but I would think they would have something similar. Like someone stated earlier then first think they need to do is to verify the flip phone can be used on a cruise.

Whether the phone is "smart" or not does not affect using it as a cell phone on the ship. Anytime you connect (that is, connect to make a call or pick up a voice mail), it will be through the ship's cell to satellite to land phone system, and you will incur charges for every minute of use.

I do not believe you will be charged when the phone is not actually connected, that is, I don't believe you incur charges if your phone is just sitting there, turned on and waiting for a call. I can't speak specifically to this though, because we never turn our cell service on when on board.

You will likely be "roaming" at a higher cost rate plan no matter what you do, unless you sign up for a specific international plan. Here's a helpful article:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1752

Whether the phone is "smart" or not does not affect using it as a cell phone on the ship. Anytime you connect (that is, connect to make a call or pick up a voice mail), it will be through the ship's cell to satellite to land phone system, and you will incur charges for every minute of use.[/Quote]

If the flip phone is not too old and has a SIM card it will connect. Older Verizon flip phones without SIM cards may or may not connect on EPIC. Don't know if EPIC can handle CDMA.

The charge for voice calls at sea is $2.99 a minute.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

Check this link with Verizon, I believe this should help you:

https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/trip-planner-tool/#/tripPlanner :)

I agree just use the ship number in an emergency a 20.00 call is not really an issue.

If you do much traveling though you might want to consider a basic prepaid smart phone. GPS maps and applications all come in pretty handy.

+ 1 for being spot on - in case of emergency, call directly to your "regular" cellphone number, whether you are on the ship at high seas or in foreign ports ... depending on the itinerary (as Mexico, Canada and other ports are sometimes considered "home" rate/calling area with no extra charges, assuming that the specific device (smartphone or non-smart phone).

Legacy flip phone are still popular and in use worldwide, and it's coming back as a no nonsense basic phone. I'm sure some of you recall the classic Motorola Startac "clamshell" flip phone, the GSM variant takes a full-size Sim card (or, with an adapter) and with an extended battery - last 5 to 7 days on full standby ... that's what I was carrying & one of the handful of phones that worked as we walked up Water Street away from the WTC area on 9/11/2001 as we initially sheltered in place. Startac still "works" and its younger siblings, V9m and a PTT version as well, assuming that cellular towers abroad operate on 1 or more compatible frequencies (800/850/900/1700/1800/1900/2100 Mhz) - sometimes just for 911 calls in emergencies, however.

OP, if you use that link above to VZW, you can check it yourself and if you aren't sure how & what to ask - please give us a description of the model number & maker's name, one of us will check that against your port schedule for compatibility. Also, you need to speak with VZW's Global or Int'l Support Desk to enable roaming calls for that mobile # associated with the device, unlike those of us with an activated Sim card - you can't just turn it ON overseas and expect it to work.

On the subject of using a prepaid "smart" phone, beware that many/most of them do NOT roam or work outside its "specific" home area (sometimes, extended to Mexico & Canada ... otherwise, it's no for Bahamas, Bermuda & Caribbean ports) San Juan and USVI also on the caution list for services, vary by carriers. AND, as a general rule - not aware of any exceptions - prepaid phones do NOT work onboard cruise ships at all - no signal, no incoming or outgoing calls, maybe "leaked" text messaging "headers" only. Not good for emergency calls. Workaround using (paid) WiFi with VoIP or Google Voice number can be setup but not for the average non-tech "geeks" and you can missed incoming calls due to (sparodic and random) satellite reception at seas.

Calling from ship's stateroom is about $5 a minute vs. $2 or $3 per minute using cellular signal from the ship (VZW used to much higher) - incoming call to the stateroom is $8 a minute, paid by the calling party on land - unanswered call go to voicemail (no extra charge). And, you can then call back for details (at lower rates.) Ships with working iConcierge offer the option to do VoIP for 79 cents a minute using a smartphone (so that's out of the question for OP ... without getting into more details.)

Where we used to travel & take time off while in-laws and mom in frail health being cared for, the costs for these "expensive" calls were never a consideration ... $20, $30 or even $50 worth of charges were priceless compared to having a few drinks or specialty dining, if getting connected was indicated - despite signed proxies and other documents to designate authority to someone else in the extended family, etc. It's a matter of one's personal priorities - skip a tour or two and you got funds to cover those "urgent" calls.

Texting (SMS) is another possible option for a postpaid non-smart phone but not for prepaid phone (smart or "dumb") - with the caution that VZW's older flip phone tend to be very limited on compatible radio bands and might no longer be supported abroad. AT&T has phrased out its older 2G handset to expand their 4G spectrum and get ready for 5G with faster speed, re-purposing its radio bands & towers - didn't read all the details but suffice to say, even those GSM quadband phones might be finally going off the air ... except, maybe for 911 calls.

Edited by mking8288

You have confused 2 different Verizon plans

$10 is per day used and actually works as though you were home and on your domestic plan so that means unlimited voice and text and whatever data gig you have. Remember iMessages (blue) use data so best to use text (green) when abroad

Or

100 voice/text/mg. Is $40 and valid for a 30 day period.

The above 2 plans(you pick the one that best suits you) only work on LAND

On the ship it's pay as you go. $1.79 a minute

No more plans for cruise ships ....only land based plans now

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by luvtheships