What is the most casual men's clothing I can wear on Queen Victoria Britannia Room

uilleann

Please do not turn this into a Flaming opportunity. I wore a uniform and then a suite almost every day of my career. Since I have retired its been T-shirt and Jeans..... nice worn jeans. I don't understand the appeal of getting dressed up. I don't understand people who like to get dressed up. Maybe if I was 20-30 something and really fit I could see getting dressed up. But overweight and old..... It just is uncomfortable and an extra set of clothes that I need to pack and get cleaned.

So why am I traveling on a Cunard which is arguably one of the most formal dressing boats.... Because its a reunion and my Brothers wanted this itinerary and ship line.

So that is the background so please do not harass me or try to change my mind.

The question is what is the minimum of formal wear that I can get by with for formal and semi-formal nights in the Brittiania Room.

Thanks,

Just to clarify, a "jacket" means sportcoat or suit jacket, not a windbreaker or something like that.

If that's too much dressing up for you, the buffet has a more lax dress code, perhaps none. Supposedly long trousers are required in the evening, but on QM2 recently, the buffet was "anything goes."

If you want to go to a show or have a drink in a bar after dinner, you are expected to follow the dress code for the evening. On Cunard, the dress code applies nearly everywhere, not just in the dining room.

Please do not turn this into a Flaming opportunity. I wore a uniform and then a suite almost every day of my career. Since I have retired its been T-shirt and Jeans..... nice worn jeans. I don't understand the appeal of getting dressed up. I don't understand people who like to get dressed up. Maybe if I was 20-30 something and really fit I could see getting dressed up. But overweight and old..... It just is uncomfortable and an extra set of clothes that I need to pack and get cleaned.

So why am I traveling on a Cunard which is arguably one of the most formal dressing boats.... Because its a reunion and my Brothers wanted this itinerary and ship line.

The question is what is the minimum of formal wear that I can get by with for formal and semi-formal nights in the Brittiania Room.

Thanks,

Well, you're doing it for brotherly love, so why not pack black trousers, jacket, shirt and tie. Or maybe you have a dark suit in your closet that would work?

Either outfit would work any night in the MDR.

Or schedule a few reunion dinners in the buffet area. I hope you have a good time on your cruise.

Thanks,

I think we have one thing in common but on the opposite side of the equation. I can never understand why people do not like to dress up and wish to look like homeless individuals.

On that note to answer your question straight forward. On Formal evenings the bare minimum is a dark suit of matching trousers and jacket with any color shirt and a tie. No sandals or flip flops or sneakers.

For informal evenings a jacket of the indoor type, blazers are best and a collared shirt. No tie is required and on No evening are shorts, jeans sneakers nor flip flops allowed.

Sounds like a fun trip for a reunion. As it is your brother's choice it might appear that HE likes the formality of the ship. Why not treat your brother with a modicum of respect and live up to the dress code or even take it to a higher level and wear a tux on formal nights and a tie as the vast majority of gentlemen do on informal nights.

I think we have one thing in common but on the opposite side of the equation. I can never understand why people do not like to dress up and wish to look like homeless individuals.

On that note to answer your question straight forward. On Formal evenings the bare minimum is a dark suit of matching trousers and jacket with any color shirt and a tie. No sandals or flip flops or sneakers.

For informal evenings a jacket of the indoor type, blazers are best and a collared shirt. No tie is required and on No evening are shorts, jeans sneakers nor flip flops allowed.

Sounds like a fun trip for a reunion. As it is your brother's choice it might appear that HE likes the formality of the ship. Why not treat your brother with a modicum of respect and live up to the dress code or even take it to a higher level and wear a tux on formal nights and a tie as the vast majority of gentlemen do on informal nights.

Whilst I agree the majority of gentlemen wear tux/black tie on formal occasions, to have described 'the vast majority of gentlemen' as tie wearers on the cruises we have taken since the tie rule was relaxed and the informal code introduced, would be an exaggeration.

Ties are an individual's choice and are not a required informal evening accessory and if a gentleman chooses not to wear one, that is absolutely fine.

Edited by Victoria2

Whilst I agree the majority of gentlemen wear tux/black tie on formal occasions, to have described 'the vast majority of gentlemen' as tie wearers on the cruises we have taken since the tie rule was relaxed and the informal code introduced, would be an exaggeration.

Ties are an individual's choice and are not a required informal evening accessory and if a gentleman chooses not to wear one, that is absolutely fine.

I did not say it was not acceptable to go without a tie. Cunard says it is acceptable. My opinion is that it looks a tad unkept but unkept is the current style so while I don't care for it and do not follow that allowance it will get you a pass from 6 pm to closing.. And I was just reporting what I observed on the recent December back to back TA on the totally elegant QM2. Very few gentlemen without a tie on informal evenings and very few without a tuxedo on formal evenings.

Thanks,

We don't understand why people don't want to get dressed up on a Cunard ship

Thanks,

As it is your brothers that seem to have organised this reunion why not go along with what they want to please them. Just a thought.

Edited by DreamflightPat

Hi there, in answer to your question as to why travel Cunard if dressing for dinner is not a feature: To use formal wear as the definition of Cunard travel, discounts the other unique features--beautiful ship, outstanding speakers, civility of staff/crew and passengers, etc--that a Cunard voyage offers. I simply don't enjoy dressing up! BTW, I am a "Diamond"

Traveller and do comply with the dress code at all times, albeit reluctantly.

I did not say it was not acceptable to go without a tie. Cunard says it is acceptable. My opinion is that it looks a tad unkept but unkept is the current style so while I don't care for it and do not follow that allowance it will get you a pass from 6 pm to closing.. And I was just reporting what I observed on the recent December back to back TA on the totally elegant QM2. Very few gentlemen without a tie on informal evenings and very few without a tuxedo on formal evenings.

Your ''vast majority'' comment was about QM2 TA. You neglected to mention that when giving what seemed to be an all encompassing view of Cunard gentlemen passenger's informal evening attire. I have TA'd on Victoria but not on Mary. Maybe the dress code level is slightly different on a regular TA as opposed to part of a World Voyage.

However, the initial enquiry comes from a Queen Victoria point of view which is a ship I have much experience of and so am able to give definitive advice re the general wearing of ties.

My husband decides on the night, depending on which shirt he chooses to wear, whether it will be to tie or not to tie and so although they are not required, they are worn by many, but not by the vast majority.:)

I also dislike dressing up in my everyday life but I regard a Cunard cruise as a sort of fantasy experience and even dress up more than required.

Dinner suit (Tux) on formal nights and suit and tie on all other evenings.

I realise that the vast majority of Cunard cruisers go along with the dress code and also that some might not be that keen. However I also believe that in any situation respect should be shown for the wishes of the Majority.

I would not take a Disney cruise and wear a tux nor would I take a Cunard cruise and expect to dine in vest tops, shorts, sandals, or jeans.

I once saw an Australian guy who wore the same shirt shorts and bush hat ever day on a TA. That was his choice and he did comply with the rules and was never seen in the public areas after 6pm.

I'm not being critical of your choices I just wanted to give another persons point of view

:)

We see questions and comments similar to this almost weekly. The reply postings have made it clear that the dress code as described by Cunard is indeed the way it is.

The OP has made it clear he is comfortable only in T-shirt and blue jeans and does not understand people who like to get dressed up and he does not want anyone to try to change his mind – fair enough. This is not a flame nor harassment, but a realistic suggestion to the OP: Since you do not wish to compromise, perhaps you should send your regrets. If I were invited to something which I strongly dislike - such as one of those dreadful (to my ear) modern musicals, a long flight in economy class or a meal of Brussels sprouts :) – I would stay home. It is obvious that Cunard is not for you. The only way you will enjoy this reunion cruise is if you change your attitude. It is up to you to decide whether this reunion is sufficiently important to you to do so.

Wrong place to ask this question as the denizens hereabouts are a little bit conservative on the topic. But I am a Cunard Diamond member with something around 35 or so cruises and crossings on Cunard and I'd say on non formal you can get by quite easily with any sort of long pants except denim, a polo shirt and a sports jacket. You'll need some loafers but no one checks if you have socks or not. On formal nights, black sports jacket, black pants, white or blue short sleeve dress shirt and some sort of tie. No one will notice or care what you are wearing, they are too busy with their own attire and cocktails. The only time I felt a bit ill at ease was on the Queen Victoria when for some reason on a casual night about 1000 pax all decided to wear what seemed like the same sort of vertical wide striped boating blazer just like a chap.

Wrong place to ask this question as the denizens hereabouts are a little bit conservative on the topic. But I am a Cunard Diamond member with something around 35 or so cruises and crossings on Cunard and I'd say on non formal you can get by quite easily with any sort of long pants except denim, a polo shirt and a sports jacket. You'll need some loafers but no one checks if you have socks or not. On formal nights, black sports jacket, black pants, white or blue short sleeve dress shirt and some sort of tie. No one will notice or care what you are wearing, they are too busy with their own attire and cocktails. The only time I felt a bit ill at ease was on the Queen Victoria when for some reason on a casual night about 1000 pax all decided to wear what seemed like the same sort of vertical wide striped boating blazer just like a chap.

Ye gads man! If you are going to make that much effort to flaunt the code why not just adhere and enjoy. Short sleeved shirts with a jacket are really for children rather than adults in my opinion.

Yey. Short sleeved shirts with a jacket are really for children rather than adults in my opinion.

Two things make we feel like a child if I wear them:

a) Short sleeved shirts

b) A collar and tie and a leather jacket

So therefore I only own a single short sleeved shirts and that's an Hawaiian one and I never wear my leather with a shirt and tie.

Not capable of supporting a tie!

Egad man! With a thousand plus diners converging on the doors of the Britannia at once, you think anyone cares or checks your collar? The assistant maitre will only catch shorts and no sports jacket offenders and send them back for proper attire or let them off with a warning on casual night.

Hi there, in answer to your question as to why travel Cunard if dressing for dinner is not a feature: To use formal wear as the definition of Cunard travel, discounts the other unique features--beautiful ship, outstanding speakers, civility of staff/crew and passengers, etc--that a Cunard voyage offers. I simply don't enjoy dressing up! BTW, I am a "Diamond"

Traveller and do comply with the dress code at all times, albeit reluctantly.

There is a significant subset of Cunard travelers who are on the TAs simply because they do not like to fly and to them it is transportation and therefore do not want to lug around useless formal wear for a three week visit to the states or Europe. They are not on Cunard in order to air out their tuxes and gowns from the mothballs.:D Nor would I enrich Cunard by renting one of their used tuxes at an exorbitant price just to please someone else's notions of propriety.